Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Been watchin Furys lately, Newegg has Sapphire Nitro Fury for $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202187&cm_re=R9_fury-_-14-202-187-_-Product

e: Tri-X OC

Setset fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just chiming in to say that the palit gamerock 1080 cooler is really quiet. All I can hear at full load is the faint whoosh of air. (the only other fans running in it are two noctua fans at 1100rpm).

The superior German review of this card seems correct so far. I highly recommend them.

On 1080p until the vive arrives, dafuck.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 30, 2016

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lmao if you got a 1080 and didn't spring for at least a 1440p 120hz+ monitor.

e: wait... hth

that's better

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Would getting a real cheap second GTX 970 for SLI be worth it if I'm only running 2560x1080?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tommofork posted:

lmao if you got a 1080 and didn't spring for at least a 1440p 120hz+ monitor.

Yea, I'll be looking at 1440p in the next couple of months, seems like that's the sweet spot for these cards.

Stoked about the vive arriving next week. Does the latest driver let the vive run from displayport now?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Ninkobei posted:

Been watchin Furys lately, Newegg has Sapphire Nitro Fury for $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202187&cm_re=R9_fury-_-14-202-187-_-Product

This is tempting. Close in price to the 480 aibs but more powerful. I want to hold out for Vega but my 7950 is barely holding on at 1440p.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Subjunctive posted:

That's not how averages work, unless those are the only ones for sale.

I was giving a quick example. However, now I'm wondering if I would be better off getting the 1070 and using the money elsewhere. Part of me says I would be better off investing a little more, but my equation completely ignores the value per dollar factor, and my understanding is that you pay a huge premium for the 1080, and don't get the best value per dollar ratio.

That $12.50 could be used for other things, for example. Basically I have no idea if I should get the 1070 or the 1080, and I keep fluctuating between the two.

Also, what is the deal with coil whine on the 1070 and 1080? From reading reviews, it looks like it's basically luck of the draw due to poor quality control?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 30, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wipeout posted:

Yea, I'll be looking at 1440p in the next couple of months, seems like that's the sweet spot for these cards.

Stoked about the vive arriving next week. Does the latest driver let the vive run from displayport now?

Yeah they fixed the DP bug a few drivers ago.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ninkobei posted:

And it's gone

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Update about the Amazon thing, if you get them to agree to a return watch out for a restocking fee. Got them to credit it, but it's there.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

ghetto wormhole posted:

Would getting a real cheap second GTX 970 for SLI be worth it if I'm only running 2560x1080?

Kind of depends what 'real cheap' means and if most of the games you play support SLI.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Isnt the R9 Fury like 5-10% faster on average than a 390x? I looked at one comparison on Hardocp that the main performance difference is that the Fury does tesselation better. Otherwise games that dont utilize hairworks or little tesselation performance is really similar.

At $300 a Fury isnt bad. After that might as well spring for a 1070.

Also Ive seen used 390/390x go for around $180 -$250. I just bought a XFX 390x from a guy that *upgraded* to a 480 with plans to crossfire them. I guess he wanted to trade extra performance for power efficiency.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krailor posted:

Kind of depends what 'real cheap' means and if most of the games you play support SLI.

Never SLI.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ghetto wormhole posted:

The standard recommendation for when you're considering SLI/Crossfire is almost always to sell your card and buy a bigger one instead. The exceptions are when you're already at the top card or when you only care about performance in a particular game that is known to scale very well with multi-GPU. This may change in the future if engines based on async compute or other more flexible multi-GPU methods catch on, but for now I think it still holds.

If you know your PSU can handle it and you know that games you care about play well with SLI and you aren't able to run them at max settings now, then it might be worth considering but I would probably look at 1070s or used 980Tis instead.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

If I could get a 970 for ~$100, that would be the point at which I'd consider throwing another one in for SLI.

Otherwise if you need more performance I'd say get a 980ti for ~$400 and sell your 970 to help make up the diff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I've kept trying it a bunch of times and it always feels like pro gaming with an asterisk. Maybe DX12/Vulkan can make it work automagically, but any time devs have to lift a finger to make it work, they don't, and you can't blame them when it's like 0.1% of configs.

If devs are going to support 0.1% of something I'd much rather it be 21:9

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I've kept trying it a bunch of times and it always feels like pro gaming with an asterisk. Maybe DX12/Vulkan can make it work automagically, but any time devs have to lift a finger to make it work, they don't, and you can't blame them when it's like 0.1% of configs.

This. SLI just isn't worth it. Source: I'm running dual 760s, and when it works it's wonderful but more often than not it's one card being used heavily and the other sitting idle.

21:9, on the other hand, is amazing and relatively easy for developers to support (compared to almost anything, but especially SLI). Unless you're Blizzard, of course.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Gonkish posted:

This. SLI just isn't worth it.
Really just needs to be the permanent thread title.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem with sli right now with newer games is (1) DX12 multi gpu isn't implemented yet on Microsoft's side of things and (2) SLI for VR isn't implemented yet in anything either. So the only way for SLI to work is if the developer specifically codes for it. Get a Titan XP, it'll be the best purchase you make for the next 3 months.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I.... think all the left side images look like crap. <.<;;;;;

Hey, anyone (I.e. reviewers) do multiframe AA comparisons? One of the really big issues with this move towards temporal reprojection (although it existed before as well) is the fact that it's quite possible to make a still image look great when you zoom in, but using a technique that will have all sorts of stability/ghosting/crawling/flicker issues in motion. This sort of still image analysis was already kind of misleading (useless is probably too strong of a word) because you often cared more about scenes with at least subtle motion; now, however, it seems fundamentally inadequate.

It doesn't seem too hard to capture, say, a 1s sequence, slow it down, and loop it instead. But it's also harder than just posting screenshots, so...

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I've kept trying it a bunch of times and it always feels like pro gaming with an asterisk.

Yeah it's very much exactly what you feel it is. My long a lovely journey of doing dual GPUs started with 7900GT SLI -> 4870X2 (yes, that huge honking card) -> a single 8800GTS 512 -> 470 SLI -> 670 SLI -> 970 SLI -> finally stopped loving around and got a single 1080.

Running high resolutions has made running stuff with all them settings up a real task. If you ask me now if it was worth it I'd have to say no. All the additional hassle and considerations of doing SLI and even then it may work well in a decent amount of games. The budget angle always took me first because "I can get better than the top of the line card performance for slightly more money!" when I was really shortchanging myself. SLI made improvements over the years from where you might get +40%~ extra with a second card to maybe like +80%~ in mostly scenarios that didn't matter anymore. I'm thinking back of how much bullshit I could have saved myself by not being a GPU poor, like most of you in this thread, and shelling out the big bucks for the big card.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

DX12 is going to make it harder/impossible as it will require more direct support from devs rather than allowing the IHVs o do all the heavy lifting with driver/app profiles. There is a lot of talk about explicit multi-GPU but that gets even more iffy if you are talking about doing anything other than AFR because the bandwidth available between two GPUs is pretty drat limited, which vastly reduces how effectively two GPUs can cooperate on a single frame.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SlayVus posted:

The biggest problem with sli right now with newer games is (1) DX12 multi gpu isn't implemented yet on Microsoft's side of things
It is for Tomb Raider & Gears of War Ultimate - the problem with DX12 multi-GPU is that each game has to be specifically programmed to support the load distribution. It's more work for devs than previous, which is why I think SLI will become even less popular going forward.

The Quantum Break devs have stated that multiGPU is not coming as it would just take too much work - and if there's any title that could benefit from SLI it would be that one.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

ghetto wormhole posted:

In addition to :black101: NEVER SLI :black101:, the 970, in my experience, is particularly bad for SLI because of the .5 GB of slow memory on it. You don't necessarily hit 3.5GB+ memory usage with a single card at 1080p, but at anything over that, you do, and that's when it gets all stuttery.

It was fairly terrible for me at 1440p. The situation *might* be better at ultrawide 1080p, I guess, but I don't think it's worth the headache.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Running SLI 970s here and yeah, the previous posts are right on the nose. More and more games don't support it at all and the scaling is inconsistent at best with those that do. Unless VR SLI starts to show up in actual games (right now it only exists in nVidia tech demos) multi-GPU is really hard to justify.

If your comparison point is a used 970, see what you can get a used 980ti for and subtract from that what you'd get from selling your current 970. It probably won't be too far off and you'll have basically the same performance with none of the quirks.

A friend of mine has a nearly identical PC build to mine (same CPU, mobo, RAM) and had two 970s which he changed out for a 980ti. He lost a small bit of performance in ideal cases for SLI like 3DMark but roughly broke even on games that support it and obviously gained a lot on games that only do single GPU. The loss in ideal cases was small enough to be made up for by overclocking and in a few titles where he was VRAM limited on 3.5/4GB the extra space allowed settings to be turned up with no loss in performance (GTA V most notably).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hubis posted:

Hey, anyone (I.e. reviewers) do multiframe AA comparisons? One of the really big issues with this move towards temporal reprojection (although it existed before as well) is the fact that it's quite possible to make a still image look great when you zoom in, but using a technique that will have all sorts of stability/ghosting/crawling/flicker issues in motion. This sort of still image analysis was already kind of misleading (useless is probably too strong of a word) because you often cared more about scenes with at least subtle motion; now, however, it seems fundamentally inadequate.

It doesn't seem too hard to capture, say, a 1s sequence, slow it down, and loop it instead. But it's also harder than just posting screenshots, so...

If there's anyone that *should* do it, it would be Nvidia, if they're trying to show off their own tech. The links that skuto dropped were to Nvidia's own site, after all, but they didn't.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Gonna go against the grain here and say SLI is great. I've run it with 2 970's, then 980ti's and now 1080's. I game at 4k and would go as far as to say SLI is actually necessary. It was helpful with the 970's at 1080p as well to simply max every setting and get a constant 60fps.

I play mostly modern games though (RS6 siege, dark souls 3, doom etc) and have yet to run into a game that doesn't support it. Honestly I've had zero issues, as someone in this thread previously said, the hardest thing about SLI is ticking the option box in the control panel.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

This. SLI just isn't worth it. Source: I'm running dual 760s, and when it works it's wonderful but more often than not it's one card being used heavily and the other sitting idle.

21:9, on the other hand, is amazing and relatively easy for developers to support (compared to almost anything, but especially SLI). Unless you're Blizzard, of course.

We long ago established blizzard hates you, specifically.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If there's anyone that *should* do it, it would be Nvidia, if they're trying to show off their own tech. The links that skuto dropped were to Nvidia's own site, after all, but they didn't.

:agreed:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

We long ago established blizzard hates you, specifically.

Blizzard hates me too

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Once upon a time, I bought a (then seven month old) 660ti with the Asus DirectCU fan and the factory overclocking for only $210 on Amazon, with a $20 rebate, and I was able to sell my old 460 for like $55 on eBay and get an okay card for $120 overall and 3.5 years later I'm still using it and only sometimes feeling the pressure to upgrade.

But holy gently caress there is nothing like that going on now. I figured 970s would be that "we're now over six months old and there's something nicer out there" card at discount but nope. A 960 isn't enough of an upgrade to justify.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Craptacular! posted:

Once upon a time, I bought a (then seven month old) 660ti with the Asus DirectCU fan and the factory overclocking for only $210 on Amazon, with a $20 rebate, and I was able to sell my old 460 for like $55 on eBay and get an okay card for $120 overall and 3.5 years later I'm still using it and only sometimes feeling the pressure to upgrade.

But holy gently caress there is nothing like that going on now. I figured 970s would be that "we're now over six months old and there's something nicer out there" card at discount but nope. A 960 isn't enough of an upgrade to justify.
Just gotta look hard for deals. $125 for my 380X after rebate & promo code, and I should be able to get $50-60 for my old 7850 for a net total upgrade cost of like $75 ;)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Apprently the RX 470 is due out next month (with AIBs I guess?) and it starts at $150. That could be a really nice upgrade from a 660Ti.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Craptacular! posted:

A 480 is technically $200 somewhere ... But that's with some baggage lol.

I mean 3.5 years and a 1060 has went up $40 thats not exactly "nothing out there" but it is a brand new card it will be a while before that's lower.I remember $220 660tis though. They were good for that price.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm back on Nvidia for the first time in almost eight years. Where do I see my card's temperature and fan speed in the drivers. Do I need Afterburner? My card is an MSI so all the better if so.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
While looking for RX 480's (at a not insane price) i found a store that still has 8 geforce GTX 480 in stock @ €510 each. Should i jump on this deal?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Shumagorath posted:

I'm back on Nvidia for the first time in almost eight years. Where do I see my card's temperature and fan speed in the drivers. Do I need Afterburner? My card is an MSI so all the better if so.

Yup Afterburner has all that stuff

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilismNow posted:

While looking for RX 480's (at a not insane price) i found a store that still has 8 geforce GTX 480 in stock @ €510 each. Should i jump on this deal?

Did you make a typo there or is someone out there seriously trying to sell GTX 480s for over 500 euros?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to installing my Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV on my 1080 to replace the ref blower.

Ran the dx12 3dmark test a few times and it never bumped above 58 and was still ultra quiet. I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

Did you make a typo there or is someone out there seriously trying to sell GTX 480s for over 500 euros?

Well €510.78 to be precise.
They also have a Radeon 5870 @ €255, but only 1 remaining in stock so i should get on that quickly right? Though they also have 2 6870's in stock @ €233 so maybe i should get those instead? This shop is like a treasure trove of never discounted 5 year old hardware.