Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mind the walrus posted:

I don't get the hate for the movie outfit anyway. It's not as bad as "DC why the gently caress are you still putting the Japanese flag on her head?" Katana outfit they ran with. They wanted Harley and the Joker to look trashy, and they succeeded. Nothing really mystical about it.

Probably because the other characters are so uninteresting by comparison that they don't provoke a lot of comment. Katana looks terrible, yeah, but there's not a lot else to say beyond that. Harley Quinn/Robbie are more "OMG look at those hotpants SHE DOES NOT HAVE THE rear end FOR THAT" and "Those jailhouse tattoos are SO BADLY DONE" vs. "Oh hey that guy sure is wearing a baggy overcoat, huh, how about that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Harley Quinn

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

"OMG look at those hotpants SHE DOES NOT HAVE THE rear end FOR THAT"

I'm prepared to get in a fight in defense of Margot Robbie's rear end. :clint:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ferrule posted:

Harley Quinn

I don't know if THATS THE JOKE but Debbie Harry and Courtney Love were actually the big inspirations for this Harley's look.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That first draft black & white look was awful though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would actually like to see some of the comic costumes given a blockbuster treatment, just out of curiosity as to what they would really look like. I mean that cosplayer picture obviously doesn't fit with the tone of suicide squad, but it doesn't look horrendous and that's probably just a bunch of semiprofessionals throwing in. What would it look like with real production behind it? The answer might well be 'like poo poo' which I guess was the case for Green Lantern, but I'd like to know.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

I would actually like to see some of the comic costumes given a blockbuster treatment, just out of curiosity as to what they would really look like. I mean that cosplayer picture obviously doesn't fit with the tone of suicide squad, but it doesn't look horrendous and that's probably just a bunch of semiprofessionals throwing in. What would it look like with real production behind it? The answer might well be 'like poo poo' which I guess was the case for Green Lantern, but I'd like to know.

Cosplayers frequently are able to pull off comic-accurate really good looking stuff because they are designed to look good in still pictures and not while doing kung-fu or backflips or even from angles other than the ideal.

Movies can make up for some of this with post-production, but I don't think most movies want to spend the time and money to like, CG out the wrinkle that Harley's shirt makes every time she tunrs or Gambit's trenchcoat flare or whatever little real-life cloth physics they want to get rid of in every single shot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ashcans posted:

77 Superman, 89 Batman and Joker, 1997 Spawn, 2002 Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America's USO and Avengers 1 look, 70s and 00s Hulk, Deadpool, 2005 Lex Luthor, 2007 Venom and Sandman, 2005 Beast. There have been a few over the years, in good movies and bad, and they run the range from "oh god why" to "huh that actually works."

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

More scales and texture! More! And no red panties!

Still, you have to admire how calm the super-duo is, standing in the crossfire of a laser fight and all.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Odonata posted:

Still, you have to admire how calm the super-duo is, standing in the crossfire of a laser fight and all.

Those are police lights. And they're calm about it because they're white.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Savidudeosoo posted:

I do like the fact that they didn't feel the need to find someone who was super buff.

Y'know, since his strength is all sun based.

bring back old gbs posted:

I see where Cavil's ab sculpts went...

:chanpop:

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said super BUTT.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Buns of steel, there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Perry Normal posted:

Not really permanently, she seems like she can switch back and forth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOQ3rcP1Rok Though, it's possible that anytime she looks like June Moon after the magic mud bath is just an illusion.

That's a really cool effect for the switch. I'm looking forward to this movie now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Keeshhound posted:

So why don't they cast more pro wrestlers for comic movies? There's a pretty huge overlap in the kind of stories both genres tell (people who use ultraviolence to solve their problems, both socially and otherwise), and most of them have the proper physiques already.

Because the hard part isn't being swole, it's selling all the non-fighting character scenes. Wrestlers can't act, but some guy called Chris can bulk up with a few months of personal training.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A handul of them can act. The main reason most don't go into acting is that they can't do that and wrestle at the same time due to the ridiculous schedules wrestlers have to keep.

Oh and most of the ones not hired by Vince McMahon directly are too ugly for Hollywood.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure if you're already a pro wrestler with a steady gig you'd have to be out of your mind to walk away from that and try to get into acting unless you are super, super charismatic like The Rock is, because getting paid a steady check is pretty great.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're already a pro wrestler with a steady gig you'd have to be out of your mind to walk away from that and try to get into acting unless you are super, super charismatic like The Rock is, because getting paid a steady check is pretty great.

Sadly being a pro wrestler, especially if you're not one of the Top Guys, is one of the least steady gigs there is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Entry level acting is worse than burger flipping though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even The Rock had to start with garbage like that episode of Star Trek Voyager where he played "The Space Rock."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUyTcoe0qw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can you sensoooorrrrr what the space rock is replicating?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sadly being a pro wrestler, especially if you're not one of the Top Guys, is one of the least steady gigs there is.
That and you have the worst worlds of being both an athlete and a stuntperformer, with a career length that shortens the more you work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Flesh Forge posted:

Entry level acting is worse than burger flipping though.

Which, while true, isn't what I was talking about. Pro wrestlers are pretty well universally not employees of whoever they wrestle for; they're independent contractors. There is no "steady gig." Even a top guy in the company, if they get injured, often isn't getting paid while they rehab. Piss off one of the bookers? No one in the writing room has a story for you this week? Welp, no check for you.

While you're right that you'd have to be crazy to walk away from a steady gig in order to start acting, wrestling isn't a steady gig, is my point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A lot of low level federations don't even loving pay the new guys. Some of them don't pay anyone!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Just watch that Mickey Rourke movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WWE actually does pay their workers for rehab and such since everyone there has a downside guarantee. That's not really true elsewhere other than maybe NJPW and technically TNA (they have contracts but don't get paid regardless).

At one point, Paul Heyman told Mikey Whipwreck to go work for WCW since he was injured and they had healthcare.

That's actually one thing actors have access to: group healthcare. Terry Funk would go shoot a commercial or a low-rent movie every couple years to maintain his SAG card specifically for the healthcare plan.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ferrule posted:

Just watch that Mickey Rourke movie.

Iron Man 2?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Sockser posted:

Iron Man 2?

Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man (co-starring Big John Studd)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If there is a God in this world, he will deliver to me a Mickey Rourke/Ron Perlman buddy comic movie before I die (or one of them does).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Perlman seems way too healthy to not mop the floor with Rourke in any contest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What I'm getting from this is that Dwayne Johnson would be an exceptional Black Adam.

#comics

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boy are you in luck

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Perlman seems way too healthy to not mop the floor with Rourke in any contest.

Rourke is a former boxer though.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Alhazred posted:

Rourke is a former boxer though.

Exactly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ron Perlman is all chin, what can a boxer do to that head?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't think Perlman is the right actor, but he's one of the only men in Hollywood who could play Darkseid with minimal prosthetics.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Michael Ironside is the only choice for Darkseid for me. That voice was perfect.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Do you know who would be an ace outside the box choice?

John Goodman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Geno Segers. He's a loving unit, be good on mocap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cast me as Darkseid, he's probably going to be 95% CG and voice filters anyway.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

mind the walrus posted:

John Goodman.

"Mr. Barnes, welcome to the Apokolips School of Air Conditioner Repair!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mind the walrus posted:

John Goodman Dan Aykroyd.

• Locked thread