Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

calm down dude I'm not posting my wishlist I'm posting what I think Nintendo might do. You don't need to get so offended by speculation.

Anyway they already got video streaming working for a portable device not attached the the console, pretty sure they can do it again. It might not be video streaming either, it might just fuckin connect to a full on iOS/Android app that just communicates state back and forth like any other networked game. Both might be capable depending on the software. Maybe its some weird hybrid where your device's power is added to the NX's so it just kind of runs both screens using gpu draw so it's not a straight video stream but an assisted gpu render. It might be some other gimmick entirely that has nothing to do with connecting to android/ios devices.

Like I don't believe I'm right or that any of this is a good idea, it's just speculation based on what we know or assume so far.

I don't think so, no. Nintendo can keep a lot of dumb poo poo close to their chest but "hey we're making the nVidia shield using the same chips the nVidia shield did but like, with a controller mount" is not gimmick enough for them to think everyone wants to steal it even using Nintendo Logic. There's another gimmick at play, and I can't promise you it will be a good one or one that you like, but there will be one.

hmm, nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The real important question: Will the NX continue to support Miiverse?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

I don't Miiverse, partially because I have no interest in it but partially because it's filled with little kids and I really don't want to post on their social network.

I think it's a really cool thing for them to have, though! Miiverse is charming.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I don't Miiverse, partially because I have no interest in it but partially because it's filled with little kids and I really don't want to post on their social network.

I think it's a really cool thing for them to have, though! Miiverse is charming.

the fun is from browsing and seeing the sincere and very strange things kids will post when giddy about videogames and given a virtual doodlepad

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

alf_pogs posted:

the fun is from browsing and seeing the sincere and very strange things kids will post when giddy about videogames and given a virtual doodlepad

And the RP threads where two people roleplay for like 300 posts about going to a high school for vampires.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Whatever the NX is, it will almost certainly support Miiverse and Amiibo.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Maybe it's huge and that's why JNCO is coming back suddenly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Whatever the NX is, it will almost certainly support Miiverse and Amiibo.

its funny how they will shoot the wii brand in the head behind the barn but keep the Mii brand. watch out Wario! its not safe for you here.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in the past 2 weeks I've read that everything from Pascal to X1 will be the GPU and it will be anything from slightly better to a WiiU, to possibly comparable/better than XBone. poo poo is insane, I can't wait until they just show the loving thing already.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MinibarMatchman posted:

in the past 2 weeks I've read that everything from Pascal to X1 will be the GPU and it will be anything from slightly better to a WiiU, to possibly comparable/better than XBone. poo poo is insane, I can't wait until they just show the loving thing already.

We :airquote: should :airquote: be hearing something in September if Eurogamer's reporting is spot on.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

if they don't make it a touch screen for the portable aspects, i bet you that a LOT of kids are going to try tapping the screen and get frustrated when it doesn't work.

especially when you realize that the original iphone is 9 years old and for a lot of younger people, touch screens are the norm that they know.

Exactly that. I threw a SNES emulator on my old PSP and handed it to my fiance', who's 29..the first thing she did was start tapping at the screen to use the menu.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Martinpale posted:

I threw a SNES emulator on my old PSP and handed it to my fiance', who's 29..the first thing she did was start tapping at the screen to use the menu.

Sever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Between Pascal and $199, rumors are getting crazier by the minute. Don't trust anything until September.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Martinpale posted:

Exactly that. I threw a SNES emulator on my old PSP and handed it to my fiance', who's 29..the first thing she did was start tapping at the screen to use the menu.

Throw that one back

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MinibarMatchman posted:

It tosts poptarts and gives you a blowjob. Don't get those ports confused, unless you're into that sort of thing.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Sources have confirmed Nintendo's new console-handheld hybrid will have similar power to Microsoft's competing console, the Xbox one. Sources have further confirmed that Nintendo will continue with the lovely branding to intentionally confuse mums and the elderly, naming it the WiiDS.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
My uncle works at nintendo and he says the NX is actually Nintendo's internal codename for the NES mini.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Sources have confirmed Nintendo's new console-handheld hybrid will have similar power to Microsoft's competing console, the Xbox one. Sources have further confirmed that Nintendo will continue with the lovely branding to intentionally confuse mums and the elderly, naming it the WiiDS.

I heard that the current specs put its processing power roughly on par with a European water vole (Arvicola amphibius).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The nes mini is just there to pave the way for the Super NES Mini, which will come with the special disc add-on for the SNES Mini called the Sony Playstation Mini, the NsX

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MinibarMatchman posted:

X1 is loving ancient and slow even by Nintendo standards, I really doubt it's the actual GPU in the NX. I know they are in the development units but that stems from the necessity of making games for a system whose hardware hasn't been finalized yet.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I can't wait for super mario in glorious 912p

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I can't wait for super mario in glorious 912p

You think Nintendo would port their games to xbone?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

X1 is loving ancient and slow even by Nintendo standards

What is "slow by Nintendo Standards"? People were saying that the X1 was already better than what the Wii U has; sounds about the norm for what we've seen Nintendo do the past couple of generations by that alone with marginally better performance.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ventana posted:

What is "slow by Nintendo Standards"? People were saying that the X1 was already better than what the Wii U has; sounds about the norm for what we've seen Nintendo do the past couple of generations by that alone with marginally better performance.

A very well written joke post in the XBox One thread, in reference to Beyond Good and Evil HD getting released as BC, presupposed that the Xbox One had power that was comparable to that of the PS2. It's being absorbed into the fabric of Games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that the importance of making a powerful system is overemphasised. Nintendo has made great things without needing state-of-the-heart hardware. Plus, everyone is afraid that they are going to price themselves too high and having the most cutting-edge blahdeblah is just going to put the price up.

Red Bones posted:

I heard that the current specs put its processing power roughly on par with a European water vole (Arvicola amphibius).

This rumour is obviously nonsense as the system wouldn't be portable with the little turny-wheel in it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nintendo gets a lot less poo poo for their low-powered hardware when they do things differently enough not to invite constant comparisons to MS and Sony. The Wii's horsepower wasn't a liability until the idea well ran dry for motion control games. The WiiU looked so lackluster because nobody could think of anything worthwhile to do with the tablet until Super Mario Maker came out like three years too late to do any good - its whole life it's been a console-rear end video game console whose games had the same control schemes as everything else and whose graphical abilities were clearly in line with the console-rear end video game consoles everyone already owned.

I think the NX has a much better shot that the WiiU if the tablet-console hybrid rumor proves to be true and they actually deliver on WiiU-quality graphics on a thing you can take on a plane or two kids can play with sitting indian-style on a floor. The user experience could be so different that people wouldn't constantly feel the urge to point out that the graphics don't look as good as the PS4.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think wanting the console to not be severely underpowered compared to its competitors is less about graphics and more about having an actual third party library.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digital Foundry's Retro perspective on all Nintendo launches should be interesting for you if you are interested in the technical stuff Nintendo can do with whatever hardware they have on hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXEnukk--k

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I think wanting the console to not be severely underpowered compared to its competitors is less about graphics and more about having an actual third party library.

It seems very much like Nintendo is content not having the bleeding edge hardware, so save for Nvidia giving them so some sort of giant discount on a chip which may or may not exist, I'd wager that Nintendo is not banking on the traditional mainline third-party support. The whole goal of a hybrid unit would be to become a necessary supplemental console for 3rd party portable experiences (all the poo poo that gets shoveled to the Vita, the 3DS 3rd party stuff, and hopefully new mainline content from developers that want a hand in the portable domain but don't want to make smartphone nonsense). I can only assume that the hope is that if the NX sold well enough that it would tempt more major developers to make smaller (or cheaper) games along the lines of "I am Setsuna" because they could justify the lower development costs as a mobile effort while still releasing the products on mainline consoles/PC. That plus 1st-party Nintendo software cements them in a unique market position where they're not forced to compete in the "who can jam the most pixels into my Fallout/Witcher/Dark Souls" cycle the other two consoles are hilariously playing out with their mid-life refreshes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Guy Mann posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. The PS2 was a runaway success largely due to the fact that its game library was utterly massive. That said, I buy Nintendo systems almost entirely for the first-party games while realising that having great third party support is what makes a commercial triumph.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The average gamer is already going to have at least one other way to play third party titles. I'm still not expecting much in those regards with the NX except for whatever Ubisoft does and the occasional Sonic game. Even if the NX was somehow on par with the PS4 and Bone, that doesn't mean third parties are going to put in the effort anyways.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I fully expect the same third party support we got on the 3DS. For example, I'd be shocked if Ace Attorney 7 or Monster Hunter 5 weren't on the NX.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

The average gamer is already going to have at least one other way to play third party titles. I'm still not expecting much in those regards with the NX except for whatever Ubisoft does and the occasional Sonic game. Even if the NX was somehow on par with the PS4 and Bone, that doesn't mean third parties are going to put in the effort anyways.

Yeah the 50-60 million people that already bought a console this gen arent going to buy another console to play cod and madden or whatever. It would have to be a real leap to make it attractive as a 3rd party option. Doing their usual nintendo thing but on hardware that people actually want to use and with all their games in one place seems like a much stronger plan.

Whether or not they can make something appealing in its design, marketing, and user experience to the mass market is the challenge as they have missed the mark in one or more of these categories recently.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
An i7-6700K and two GTX 1080s in SLI w/ 32 GB DDR4 RAM, at an easy $150 USD. That's all Nintendo needs to win the war. Hire me Nintendo, I know how to Newegg a console up.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Patter Song posted:

I fully expect the same third party support we got on the 3DS. For example, I'd be shocked if Ace Attorney 7 or Monster Hunter 5 weren't on the NX.
If nothing else, Monster Hunter 5 will make it profitable enough to keep things going.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

neogaf mocks up the NX:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Their mock ups all suck

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
uhh nintendo doesn't make ugly buttons wtf

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

greatn posted:

Their mock ups all suck
Agreed. I can't put my finger on why, but those mock-ups remind me of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Absolutely none of those take into consideration in any way how detachable controllers would work if that rumor is true... unless the controllers are going to be literal squares.

The only thing I can think of is you would need some sort of separator inbetween the controllers, but at that point why not just make the screen/guts detachable.

:psyduck:

Edit: I'm making the assumption here that each side of the controller is going to have an analogue stick of some sort. Having one of those in each hand with an appropriate amount of buttons just doesn't make sense, hence my assumption that these detachable controllers would have to combine in some way.

Edit2: It may very well be likely we just have another Wii U situation where there are going to be like 7 different control schemes and we may have to buy another pro controller.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 31, 2016

• Locked thread