Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Agree with most of the opening scenes listed so far, especially (of course) Scream. Some more:

A Nightmare On Elm Street: a great horror sequence and a great, consise explanation of what the whole movie's gonna be about

Return of the Living Dead: if only for the greatest opening title card of all time

Lord of Illusions: throws you right in the deep end of a horrifying cult compound.

Romero's entire Living Dead trilogy: my favorite is probably Dawn, but all three movies possess opening scenes that convey a wonderful sense of encroaching dread/chaos in their own way

Zombie: "The boat can leave now. Tell the crew." Nuff said.

Under the Skin: pure unnerving brilliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really liked the quick hit that opens Deep Red, there's not much to it but it hangs over the movie in a great way

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I really liked the quick hit that opens Deep Red, there's not much to it but it hangs over the movie in a great way

Good call. I dunno how neither I nor anybody else mentioned Suspiria yet either.

I've also always loved the opening of Tenebre. Marvelous tone-setting.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm enjoying all these recommendations. I ask because, in my opinion, the opening of a horror movie is one of the most important parts of the entire movie (along with a strong final act -- not sure which I would place more emphasis on though). I have a horribly short attention span and I generally need something to draw me in for the long haul.

I've seen some of what you guys are talking about, but a lot of stuff is new to me.

Thanks! And keep posting recommendations!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Good call. I dunno how neither I nor anybody else mentioned Suspiria yet either.

Suspiria has a great opening.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

TBeats posted:

What are the best openings in horror? I'm partial to Scream. I'm probably biased because it was one of the first horror movies I watched that wasn't edited for television. I was 10 when I saw it and the beginning terrified me to my very soul. No other opening has ever had the same effect.

Had several nights thereafter where I woke my mom up with a "stomach ache."

Dawn of the Dead (2004) and 28 Weeks Later.

I was lucky enough to catch Dawn in theaters and it was a pure white knuckler thrill ride.

Both movies begin with people running away from their family, the former due to zombie infection, the latter so the character (Robert Carlyle) could save his own skin.

I'm not sure which opening I like more, but the Dawn remake is my favorite zombie film ever made.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 30, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Evil Dead remake has a pretty great cold open.

This

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TBeats posted:

What are the best openings in horror?

Alien. The opening really drives home the idea that the universe is an ominous place. Ringu also has a great opening scene.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Too bad the rest of the movie wasn't as good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The novelty of you not liking good things has worn off

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the Evil Dead remake. It was dirty and uncomfortable and disgusting like the original, which happens to be one of my favorite films of all time. The ending was a bit underwhelming, was expecting a bit more but on the whole it's basically like what the original had been like if it had been made today with a somewhat higher budget.

e:
The original apparently cost about $400k to make, the remake $17 million.

That's actually a pretty big budget for a horror film. I think most horror films are made for around $5 million.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 30, 2016

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
For stuff that I didn't see mentioned yet,

Evil Dead 2 retold Evil Dead in the first 10 minutes in a more fun, compact, and lurid way.

The Ring set the tone of dread correctly right from the start, especially with the infamous closet shot.

Zombieland's title sequence and intro with the protagonist's "rules" was a fun start to the movie.

But yeah, The Fog, with John Houseman telling a campfire story, is a gem

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Romero's entire Living Dead trilogy: my favorite is probably Dawn, but all three movies possess opening scenes that convey a wonderful sense of encroaching dread/chaos in their own way

I like Day's the most, but you're spot on about all 3 being great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Dead looks bad because it's pretty indisputably the worst Evil Dead movie, but on its own merits it's pretty good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I like Day's the most, but you're spot on about all 3 being great.

The opening shot of Dawn is like, one of my favorite single shots in any movie ever.

But yeah the echoing calls of "hello!" and the slow building of moans and dead people shambling out in Day is magnificently eerie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The opening credits sequence in Blue Sunshine sets up a perfect paranoid tone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was disappointed that they didn't do a Evil Dead sequel to the remake

The film was successful. Kind of odd.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I don't like the concept of remakes, but if it has to be done than the way Evil Dead did it was spot on. It was still an "Evil Dead" movie but was different enough in tone, character, plot, etc. to stand on it's own as a really good movie. I loved it, it was really bloody and nasty in the best way.

How's I Drink Your Blood? I saw it was on Shudder and wanted to know if it was worth a watch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

I don't like the concept of remakes, but if it has to be done than the way Evil Dead did it was spot on. It was still an "Evil Dead" movie but was different enough in tone, character, plot, etc. to stand on it's own as a really good movie. I loved it, it was really bloody and nasty in the best way.

How's I Drink Your Blood? I saw it was on Shudder and wanted to know if it was worth a watch.

Its kind of a riot , very violent, but in a 2000 Maniacs kind of way. Get some popcorn and double feature it with another film like 2000 Maniacs.

I think all those splatter , gore , films are hilarious though. They are just so over the top.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

(almost) all of Argentos Giallos have a great opening, although my personal favorite is probably either Suspiria or Phenomena

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
28 Weeks Later wasn't a great movie but holy poo poo the opening was absolutely superb. I wish the entire opening sequence was up on Youtube, it's been fragmented which takes away from the buildup and intensity. 28 Days Later is a far superior movie (my all-time favorite movie) and has a great opening, but I think 28WL has the superior opening.

Echoing The Ring. Fuuuuuuuck.

The Final Destination openings are always fun, but I think FD2 (highway scene) was the most effective.

Ghost Ship was also a doozy but the opening was pretty intense.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Its kind of a riot , very violent, but in a 2000 Maniacs kind of way. Get some popcorn and double feature it with another film like 2000 Maniacs.

I think all those splatter , gore , films are hilarious though. They are just so over the top.

I love them, they're so ridiculous and have awful effects but are entertaining in their own way. I remember half of The Gore Gore Girls is just the killer mashing a bunch of guts.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Whispering Machines posted:

28 Weeks Later wasn't a great movie but holy poo poo the opening was absolutely superb. I wish the entire opening sequence was up on Youtube, it's been fragmented which takes away from the buildup and intensity. 28 Days Later is a far superior movie (my all-time favorite movie) and has a great opening, but I think 28WL has the superior opening.

No doubt.

I've used the opening song in a number of mixtapes I made for myself because that scene is just too intense.

Here's the track, composed by John Murphy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0RX02SeQw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

It's to bad they went with the family angle in Halloween. In the original he's a crazy random stalker with little explanation other than "psychopath killer"

Michael is unexplained in the original, but he's not random - anything but. The original title of the movie was The Babysitter Murders for a reason.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
What horror movies have been the most effective at using a gimmick that would situationally scare people right after they'd seen the movie? Most kids who saw The Ring and then stayed up late in a dark house probably reacted the same way when the phone finally rang; Jaws made it scary to go swimming in the ocean; Psycho had the same effect on women who lived alone taking a shower. I can think of a few things that have tried without being successful (I vaguely remember Miike's One Missed Call being not very good) but I feel like I'm missing some obvious examples of taking one common everyday situation and building a horror movie around how it is going to get you.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

In terms of genre hybrids, Cast a Deadly spell is a horror/fantasy/noir starring Fred Ward as Harry Lovecraft, the private detective who won't use magic, in which he takes on a case involving the Necronomicon. If that doesn't make you want to watch it idk. edit: welp this was already mentioned but its really good!

It's on Prime so I'm starting this right now.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

anime tupac posted:

What horror movies have been the most effective at using a gimmick that would situationally scare people right after they'd seen the movie? Most kids who saw The Ring and then stayed up late in a dark house probably reacted the same way when the phone finally rang; Jaws made it scary to go swimming in the ocean; Psycho had the same effect on women who lived alone taking a shower. I can think of a few things that have tried without being successful (I vaguely remember Miike's One Missed Call being not very good) but I feel like I'm missing some obvious examples of taking one common everyday situation and building a horror movie around how it is going to get you.

My friend lived in an apartment with a giant mirror covering half of one wall. He said he was a bit on edge after watching Candyman.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Jason Lives is my favorite cold open. Did a great job of shifting the tone form horror movie to monster movie. The whole franchise changed in an instant, and in the right direction.

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane last night, and at the time I was really surprised by the twist at the end - how there was a character arc going on the whole time. It was neat how they set up a bunch of scenes where Michelle was powerless to act, like in her story of the kid at the mall, and how the theme of regrets is probably what drove her decision to drive to Houston. But then I slept on it, and having a final girl's character arc being she has to learn to stop running away and stand up for others seems really shallow. Or clever in a forced, Andy Rooney monologue kind of way. Also, her transition didn't seem organic. She was just one way sometimes and another way other times. You guys might have better input, though. Finally, the reveal at the end, where she was at a literal crossroad, was a little heavy handed.. I guess I was just excited and surprised I missed clues that something more was happening.

Despite that I thought it was a great genre movie. The scene that stuck with me was when John Goodman shows up with ice cream and she realizes he SHAVED.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

anime tupac posted:

In elementary school some movie made a friend of mine afraid to sit on a toilet.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

In elementary school some movie made a friend of mine afraid to sit on a toilet.

Ghoulies?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I love the opening to The Thing. Well, not the very very beginning with the crashing alien ship (I actually think it takes a bit away from the movie), but the encounter with the Norwegians and the dog. I've shown the film to a few different people now and the mystery of what the hell is going on ("poor doggie!") always hooks them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always wondered about The Thing: was it released in Norway?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

smh if Lost Boys didn't make you weary of oiled up beefcakes with saxophones

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always wondered about The Thing: was it released in Norway?

I think the Norwegian is supposed to be terribly garbled if you actually speak the language.

This reminds me, have people seen the sequel from a few years back? Is it at all worth watching?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Are there any movies where two werewolves gently caress? I think Howling 2 only has one werewolf involved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im gaye posted:

If Halloween is a steak, Friday the Thirteenth is a burger. Nightmare on Elm Street is a taco.

I agree with this because I like tacos way more than steaks.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

It could also be Look Who's Talking Too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjTd2nLDr9Y

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i have an irrational fear that a spider will crawl on my b-hole when i am taking a dump.

and that lightning will somehow find its way through the pipes and strike me in the butt.

neither of these relate to movies though, so this post was mostly just myconfession.txt

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I feel like it was a snake. This was the 80's, and I remember him telling me about House II, so it could have been Ghoulies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The Senator Giroux posted:

It could also be Look Who's Talking Too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjTd2nLDr9Y

Maybe Street Trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qP3Tx19w7c