Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

king of the bongo posted:

I just did a bunch of 9 to 12mile day hikes out by san diego and dried out the roof of my mouth but my new balance mt1210 worked great out there! REI is really expensive for shoes. Check amazon for last years models once you find a last that fits your foot well as they drop in price compared to the newer models every year. New balance fits wider forefoots with their regular width lastif you have that problem like me without having to find elusive wide sizes in stock.

If you tend to blow out certain areas of shoes in particular you can add shoe goo to the new/clean shoe to build up a protective layer over that spot.

I was mainly there to see how the shoe felt on my foot, I am always hesitant to buy shoes that I have never worn. They have last years peregrine's for $50 bucks right now, but even after trying them on I am not sure if they are for me or not. I am really bad at shoes. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

question for backpackers, the diehard purists in particular:

1)is it wrong to bury used regular toilet paper? are you a bad person if you do this?

2) is biodegradable TP a gimmick or a better alternative?

3) some say paper towels are the way to go, since they are biodegradable and serve many purposes. good or bad?

Look, I'm not packing out my stuff. Not happening. Maybe I'll burn it but then fires aren't allowed where I'm going.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

1)is it wrong to bury used regular toilet paper? are you a bad person if you do this?

3) some say paper towels are the way to go, since they are biodegradable and serve many purposes. good or bad?

Look, I'm not packing out my stuff. Not happening. Maybe I'll burn it but then fires aren't allowed where I'm going.

Burying TP is normal I don't know anyone who packs it out. Everything else goes back to the refuse can..

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Lots of high traffic places require you to pack it out. Just take an extra sturdy plastic bag or two.

If you bury it just bury it deep. Nothing more annoying than finding a campsite with toilet paper scattered all over the place because animals got after it. Also don't see why paper towels would be more biodegradable than TP

Don't burn it. Don't burn trash. It never burns all the way and then scatters all over.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So a week ago I got fed up with my old rear end gear's weight. Admittedly it lasts forever but you're supposed to enjoy being outdoors, not reminiscence how much the gear I hauled in the army weighed. My backpack was 3,5kg, tent 3,8kg, sleeping pad 1kg, sack 1,6kg, old trangia 1,4kg etc. Good lord.

So I got a Neoair Xlite, Gossamer Gear Mariposa XL (I'm 6' 6" and need a long backpack + my gear takes up more room than smaller/shorter guys) and a gas burner with a 1L pot. Still looking for a quilt (will probably go for As Tucas synthetic quilt) and a tent (no idea about that one).

Finland is full of nasty bugs, thousands of lakes, rivers, and streams so condensation is also an issue. I'm lazy so an inner net would be sweeet. Tarptent Scarp 2 is 1,4-1,8kg depending on if you take the extra poles. Maybe MLD Duomid XL and a net from ookworks (very expensive, but even lighter)?

Also got Haglofs Gram Comp II trail running shoes, Dirty Girl Gaiters and some new socks. With all this stuff new I calculated my pack would be 7,4kg lighter. From over 11kg to 4kg. Then add extra clothes, small items, food, water etc. to that.

Why I did not realize earlier gear has come so much forward :doh: Combine that with the 300g shoes instead of old Meindls and my step should be a lot lighter in future.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Do whatever the area you're going to requires. If they allow you to bury it then bury it. If they require you to pack it out, pack it out ... or don't go to that area if you don't like the idea of packing it out. I would go with toilet paper because it seems to break down easily, probably more than paper towel.

Honestly most people just bury the TP and it's fine. Unless you're going up to some super fragile area it would be surprising that you have to pack it out.

Also if you can't have fires then you can't burn it and poetically shouldn't anyway.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Ihmemies posted:

So a week ago I got fed up with my old rear end gear's weight. Admittedly it lasts forever but you're supposed to enjoy being outdoors, not reminiscence how much the gear I hauled in the army weighed. My backpack was 3,5kg, tent 3,8kg, sleeping pad 1kg, sack 1,6kg, old trangia 1,4kg etc. Good lord.

So I got a Neoair Xlite, Gossamer Gear Mariposa XL (I'm 6' 6" and need a long backpack + my gear takes up more room than smaller/shorter guys) and a gas burner with a 1L pot. Still looking for a quilt (will probably go for As Tucas synthetic quilt) and a tent (no idea about that one).

Finland is full of nasty bugs, thousands of lakes, rivers, and streams so condensation is also an issue. I'm lazy so an inner net would be sweeet. Tarptent Scarp 2 is 1,4-1,8kg depending on if you take the extra poles. Maybe MLD Duomid XL and a net from ookworks (very expensive, but even lighter)?

Also got Haglofs Gram Comp II trail running shoes, Dirty Girl Gaiters and some new socks. With all this stuff new I calculated my pack would be 7,4kg lighter. From over 11kg to 4kg. Then add extra clothes, small items, food, water etc. to that.

Why I did not realize earlier gear has come so much forward :doh: Combine that with the 300g shoes instead of old Meindls and my step should be a lot lighter in future.

For a quilt, try looking at Cumulus. They're from within the EU, and generally have quick shipping times and are pretty cheap.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I recently ordered a down quilt comforter from Nomad, a Dutch manufacturer. Great stuff, super light weight and super toasty. Don't know how their prices compare but the quality is top notch.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 30, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

No hiking but did camp out on the beach and just happened to catch the meteor shower! Score! We then woke up early and watched some baby turtles claw their way to freedom. Nature is rad.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

1) Yes.
2) Gimmick, just pack it out.
3) No, don't. Just pack it out. Seriously.

I cannot tell you how many times I've dug my cat hole only to discover someone's TP that didn't degrade. The poop is all gone, but the tp is still there. What is your issue with packing it out? I've never had an issue with smell, if that's what you're worried about. I've been to places where you have to pack out your poop also. That's gross, but do-able. If you really can't pack out your tp, go to places with pit toilets. Don't bury it.

Surprisingly LNT website says to bury it, or pack it out. Every place I've been the rangers have requested me to pack it out. Don't burn it, as it's so light a lot of burning embers can generate and have a potential for starting forest fires.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think lots of national forests have more lax rules about that than some high traffic parks.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Just scrape w a pinecone and keep it moving.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Buy some psyllium husks and add a tablespoon to your meals a few days before you go, and then you won't even need to wipe at all.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

mirthdefect posted:

Buy some psyllium husks and add a tablespoon to your meals a few days before you go, and then you won't even need to wipe at all.

This is true

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have thoughts on an MSR MicroRocket vs a Snow Peak GigaPower as a small, general purpose stove?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I spent the weekend hiking in England's Lake District and it was really good. I've never been before but it's drat beautiful.

On Saturday we climbed one of it's most popular mountains - Helvellyn - up the best route called Striding Edge. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to actually reach the ridge itself. When we got up to it, the summit of Helvellyn on the right of this picture was all covered in cloud.

I've never done a proper ridge walk before so I didn't really know what to expect but hooo boy it was pretty gnarly. It's hard to get across in pictures how exposed it felt up there. The wind was pretty strong and erratic too so I didn't take my camera out on the ridge itself but now I kinda regret not doing that. The perspective you get when there are very large drops a metre either side of you is fascinating. The most rewarding part of it was the 'bad step' right at the end of the ridge where it's a 10 metre down climb before you can finish it. I'm glad I do bouldering because those skills really came in handy there. The scramble up to the summit was awesome too, so many hand holds that you could just pick any route up the face of it, very fun.

Luckily as we climbed up to the summit the clouds burned off and it was clear. That's Red Tarn on the left of the picture.

We took another ridge route down - Swirral Edge - and bagged another peak called Catstye Cam before finishing up the horseshoe route back to this little village. A very satisfying few pints were had at the pub in the village that's for sure.

On Sunday we went climbed up a hill called Wansfell and managed to get some great views of Windermere and the surrounding hills.

I'm pretty sore all over today but it was so worth it.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 1, 2016

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am a fat who went on my first ever hike, and my feet got jacked up, particularly my little toes, which are basically solid blister. Also blisters basically everywhere else. It was probably too long (~30-35 miles over three days). I went with some backpacking-style boots (vasque st. elias I think), and I think I needed the ankle support (because fat). So, uh, how do I prevent this next time? I wore them a ton before the hike with no apparent issues, including training walks on a treadmill, etc. Probably close to a hundred miles. But I don't think that prepared my feet for the hill scrambling, particularly downhill.

Ihmemies posted:

Hey, I bought a Scarp II! I liked it, but really have nothing to compare it to. Though I imagine you can find something european for cheaper.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

gvibes posted:

I am a fat who went on my first ever hike, and my feet got jacked up, particularly my little toes, which are basically solid blister. Also blisters basically everywhere else. It was probably too long (~30-35 miles over three days). I went with some backpacking-style boots (vasque st. elias I think), and I think I needed the ankle support (because fat). So, uh, how do I prevent this next time? I wore them a ton before the hike with no apparent issues, including training walks on a treadmill, etc. Probably close to a hundred miles. But I don't think that prepared my feet for the hill scrambling, particularly downhill.

I do the combination of those individual toe socks and then wear a liner sock over that. If you are anything like me, I don't have a wide foot, but my toes are somewhat spread out some, so I made sure the new shoes i got had a wide toebox to help alleviate some of the problems with that. I wore them all weekend during a trip to San Francisco and there is nary a blister to be found.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think having a wide toe box is 100% a great thing to have with shoes/boots. It's really easy for your toes to get smushed together and start rubbing on each other.

Pre-taping your toes or feet can help too. Athletic tape or leukotape I find is better than trying to use moleskin

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I spent the weekend hiking in England's Lake District and it was really good. I've never been before but it's drat beautiful.

Looks gorgeous! I would really like to go one day.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Levitate posted:

I think having a wide toe box is 100% a great thing to have with shoes/boots. It's really easy for your toes to get smushed together and start rubbing on each other.

I found the Vasque St. Elias to have an unfortunately tight toe box too. I bought a pair at REI because they fit everywhere else and we're very similar to my old Vasques I was replacing. However, after wearing them at home for a while to toe was just too small. Also I wasn't a fan of the faux leather around the ankle.

What's the current hotness for a 6" backpacking boot in the $150-200 range? I'd love to go lighter but Pennsylvania is full of rocks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

gvibes posted:

I am a fat who went on my first ever hike, and my feet got jacked up, particularly my little toes, which are basically solid blister. Also blisters basically everywhere else. It was probably too long (~30-35 miles over three days).

First, blisters happen sometimes and your feet will get tougher the more you use them. Treadmill walking is better than nothing but you want to simulate what you think you'll be doing to wear them in. Steep angles and scrambling are the worst for blisters in my experience so maybe try that kind of stuff.

Second, once you get blisters, determine if you're getting them in the same places over and over again. Tape those spots of your foot beforehand and it should help. I've always used cloth hockey tape. Some people like duct tape. Also, moisture can speed up the process so be sure to air your feet out often and get socks that help with that. Some synthetic socks make my feet sweat. Wool had been the best for me personally.

Lastly, that just might have been a little ambitious for your first hike and the parts of your body that aren't used to it will break down. If the only issue was blisters then consider yourself lucky.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just picked up Vasque Breeze 2.0 boots, I had the original Breeze for years and they were solid as gently caress and went through a lot. I said to myself for three years "This is the last season I put on these boots" but then I would justify putting it off again because they were holding up so well and also I'm a student who likes to travel so the cost deterred me. This year my feet have been cramping instantly for a good hour or two on every hike I've done, so I figured they're worn enough that they're messing with my posture and killing my feet, so I finally replaced them. Here's hoping the new ones live up to my expectations. I'm going to have to break them in fast because I'm headed back to Berg Lake/Mt. Robson in about 3 weeks!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Soliciting suggestions for honeymoon backpacking/hiking/climbing destinations for next July. I'm thinking about maybe Glacier, but since it's honeymoon, maybe Canada or Alaska? We haven't set a firm date yet, but probably we will take 2 weeks or so, maybe a month.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hey all, I'm going cross-country next week and am looking into camping out in Mark Twain National Forest for a night. I'm not gonna have a lot of time to hike around, probably just set up a tent, have a campfire, and call it good.

That said, I know that there are multiple parts of this park. Any one I should definitely stay at?

(If there's something there I ABSOLUTELY have to see I can stay there for an extra day if I leave a day early.)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Save me jeebus posted:

Soliciting suggestions for honeymoon backpacking/hiking/climbing destinations for next July. I'm thinking about maybe Glacier, but since it's honeymoon, maybe Canada or Alaska? We haven't set a firm date yet, but probably we will take 2 weeks or so, maybe a month.

The Canadian Rockies aka Banff/Jasper/Yoho/Kananaskis etc is pretty awesome, I must say. I am biased, though. Expect crowds, especially around the same time as the Calgary Stampede. Fortunately the extreme majority don't venture into the backcountry, and you can book nearly everything online 3 months in advance so it's easy to find ways to avoid the mobs.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Going up to Birkenhead in BC, Canada this weekend to tent-camp, hoping to do some trail running (if my stupid cold goes away anyway). How are the trails. The bears? :gonk:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

About a week until I'm off for an 8 day trip in the High Sierra's. Need to get my food in order...bad week to have lots of stuff going on

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

About a week until I'm off for an 8 day trip in the High Sierra's. Need to get my food in order...bad week to have lots of stuff going on

Keep me posted. I'm curious. Our HST hike starts August 27th.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese made Nature Hike branded stuff? I found a deal on one of their big Agnes copies for 45 bucks and it seems like it is pretty well made, extraordinarily made if you take in to account it only costs 45 bucks!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

If anyone's looking for some high calorie low weight peanut butter packets for backpacking and hiking, Slickdeals has a great price on Justin's Peanut Butter.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8988727-10-pack-1-15oz-justin-s-honey-organic-peanut-butter-squeeze-packs-3-23-or-less-free-shipping-amazon-com

Not sure how long it will last.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese made Nature Hike branded stuff? I found a deal on one of their big Agnes copies for 45 bucks and it seems like it is pretty well made, extraordinarily made if you take in to account it only costs 45 bucks!

That's something I wouldn't take a gamble on personally. I think there's a lot of backpacking gear you can source cheapl from China but a sleeping bag to keep you warm and safe wouldn't be where I would try to save money. All you can do is buy it, test out out and see how it works. If it sucks you only spent $45.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Verman posted:

That's something I wouldn't take a gamble on personally. I think there's a lot of backpacking gear you can source cheapl from China but a sleeping bag to keep you warm and safe wouldn't be where I would try to save money. All you can do is buy it, test out out and see how it works. If it sucks you only spent $45.

I say give it a try on a car camping trip where you can have your backup not too far away. The price is right.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
I have one of the tents, the 1.2kg "2 person" one. It's pretty good but smaller than you would expect - Chinese person sized basically. Fits 2 people and nothing else. Materials and everything seem great. There is a review on YouTube by "tacblades" which is pretty spot on even if he goes on for about 3 hours...

For the price you won't get anything else approaching the quality/weight I wouldn't think.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Not with that specific brand but I have bought some cheap camp chairs and poles from Alibaba and its been just as high quality as the stuff you would buy here. As long as you don't mind waiting longer for shipping I wouldn't hesitate to buy from their again.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

The one thing I do worry about is the size, my wife and I are both 6 feet tall, and while she is rail thin I certainly am not. She isn't sold on the idea of a Chinese tent so I dunno if we will actually get it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

Awesome! I'm about to head into the Evolution Region for 5 days (start tomorrow). This will be my first backpacking trip lasting longer than one night. It took me a few years to accumulate enough good gear and knowledge to do this. I've gone from day-hiking in jeans and cotton T-shirts for three miles to passing through cols at 13,000 ft and "living" outside for awhile. Oh what fun.

Great, thorough book on the sierra, BTW:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-...sses+and+trails

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

The one thing I do worry about is the size, my wife and I are both 6 feet tall, and while she is rail thin I certainly am not. She isn't sold on the idea of a Chinese tent so I dunno if we will actually get it.

I'm 6'1 and my girlfriend is 5'7 or so and as mentioned above we fit in the one we have... just. My sleeping bag especially rubs against the inner and there isn't a lot of space for any gear. If you are 6' and not skinny you might not like it. Might be worth it anyway for the price, of course.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Packing out TP:

A Goon outlined this simple system and I've used it to great success:

1 Gallon Freezer Ziplock
1 Quarter Freezer Ziplock
Bleach crystals
TP

It's important that the bags be freezer bags. Non-gas permeable. Fill the quart bag with bleach crystals and seal it. Put the quart bag in the gallon bag. Put your trowel and TP in the gallon bag. Seal it.

When you use your TP, put a little water in the quart bag and then your used TP. Keep that sealed and then sealed again in your gallon bag. If you use TP again, put some more water in the quart bag and then the new TP in it.

Throw away quart bag when you're back to the trailhead or at home.

Voila! I'm a loving lazy sack of poo poo baby when it comes to doing tedious tasks and even I can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I remain unconvinced that anywhere is awesome enough for that to be a reasonable thing to do.