Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

These aren't the Ginyu Force poses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Upset it's not like an actual spandex sentai suit but the emotes will be worth it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leofish posted:

I was able to round out getting all the pets and I have two weapons so far in this event. I'm not sure how long the FATE trains are going to be active, but I figure if I gradually work at getting a few legendary medals a day I can finish off all the items by the end of the event.
For anyone on the fence, it's 222 medals by October 3rd, medals are something like 25-35% drop from FATEs, so it literally will be about a thousand FATEs worst-case, but you've got two months to do it so that's something like 15 FATEs per day.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is amazing. Moonfire Faire can't come soon enough.

Technogeek posted:

The latest addition, Palace of the Dead is like a never ending Dungeon, it's old style and not what the gamer of today wants.

:shrek:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So with today's duty roulettes i finally have enough tomestones to buy one of the ilv200 items, which should bring me over the i142 requirement for the aether lab which has cockblocked me from continuing the story the last two days

(no, this i145 axe you're trying to give me is still worse than my i135 zeta relic, MSQ reward :argh: )

I kinda feel sorry for whoever has to heal an average i139 armored tank in that dungeon, but considering that the sync is at i180, i'll probably need a weapon upgrade the most to even come close to holding hate. Time to roll with 160 defense items

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, Heavensward story is all over the place so far, i do not care at all for them trying to make out ice heart as the misunderstood villain or w/e, and Estinian is just the worst rear end ever. Almost every time i have to interact with him i end up thinking "gently caress off, dude". My first reaction when he was introduced just pre-HW in Coerthas in his ridiculous armor was "yeah, this guy is DEFINITELY not evil at all, very subtle, game".

Sadly the game was deaf to my sarcasm and seems to actually want to make him out to be a good guy. So i'm just sitting here at the edge of my seat, waiting impatiently for the time that this dragon eye's power and hate that he keeps disrespecting inevitably takes him over and i get to kick his rear end. Waiting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Estinien has preexisting characterization from the dragoon questline and Iceheart, iirc, is literally a teenager who didn't realize that the dragons were actually serious about razing ishgard to literally every last man, woman, and child

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

Estinien has preexisting characterization from the dragoon questline and Iceheart, iirc, is literally a teenager who didn't realize that the dragons were actually serious about razing ishgard to literally every last man, woman, and child

Yeah, Icehearts intentions were good. But then she decided that if Peace is to come to light, it's time to side with dragon ISIS.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HenryEx posted:

Also, Heavensward story is all over the place so far, i do not care at all for them trying to make out ice heart as the misunderstood villain or w/e, and Estinian is just the worst rear end ever. Almost every time i have to interact with him i end up thinking "gently caress off, dude". My first reaction when he was introduced just pre-HW in Coerthas in his ridiculous armor was "yeah, this guy is DEFINITELY not evil at all, very subtle, game".

Sadly the game was deaf to my sarcasm and seems to actually want to make him out to be a good guy. So i'm just sitting here at the edge of my seat, waiting impatiently for the time that this dragon eye's power and hate that he keeps disrespecting inevitably takes him over and i get to kick his rear end. Waiting.

Estinien is actually a good guy.

Ysale is a traumatized person acting out of outrage based on being one of the few people to know the truth. She is however still in the wrong. So is almost everyone involved in the Dragonsong War :v:

The game acknowledges all of these things. You should probably just chill and enjoy the ride.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, in preparation for starting the HW story, i reviewed all the story cutscenes roughly from Chrysalis onwards. Her ridiculous speech just before Steps of Faith was still very fresh im memory for me, so that probably colored all my subsequent interactions with her as being A. a giant phony or B. the writers backpedaling like crazy.

Never played Dragoon so i didn't know Estinian was a thing before end of ARR. Now i'm pretty sure that i never want to play Dragoon.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Estein is anime as heck and its great

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Einstein is an alright guy and I like the way he and nidhogg paralleled each other

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Nearly everyone in Heavensward is actually a good person, on both sides of the war, which is kind of half the point. It's handled well and full of cool characters doing cool things, who all have well-reasoned motives for doing the things they do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
nidhogg is a nice guy if you get to know him

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think Estinien makes a good comeback. Give him a chance. I like the mancrush Alphinaud develops on him. I don't think Ysale is meant to be a misunderstood villain. I think the point of her and Estinien and the whole story is "Good Intentions Can Still Make You An rear end in a top hat". And despite what you may think, the game is pretty good at addressing character flaws. Look at the aforementioned Alphinaud.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Estein is anime as heck and its great

Estinien is the most un-anime of the entire cast. He's sadly a way too realistic bigot to be entertaining :(

Just ran through the aether lab and man, trying to hold hate as a ~i145 WAR against a SMN who pulls 1,2k DPS isn't much fun. Makes you feel like an incompetent newbie. Even with a i200 axe. Especially when you don't know where and when all the adds come yet.
OTOH, dungeon was pretty good. Regulatorianus von Hydroponics was a pretty annoying, zipping all over the place, but i liked the boss that was just a lot of Coil bosses rolled into one, a lot.

Though the end just demonstrated again that the cutscenes in HW can be borderline incomprehensible.

Lahabrea: "Ah, that the WoL would regain the power of Hydaelyn. That was to be expected."
:what:
I'd understand if you said you DIDN't expect it but if you did... what the hell were you even trying to do? I beat your rear end once already, how did you figure things would go differently this time? That's the dumbest thing i've heard -
Igeyorhm: "Heh, they can't kill us. We should flee."
:stare:
No, THAT is the dumbest thing i've heard all week. What????

And then a corpse (that's obviously not a corpse but a suit of armor) becomes a sword, which was apparently expected? And things just kinda happen arbitrarily like that until your HUD reappears. Oh well, i can see that the entire thing is a very clumsily executed excuse to have the Knights of the Round summon happening, and i'm okay with that, but i still kinda wish it wasn't written by aliens.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Estinien isn't even a bigot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The reaper of souls has come to Eorzea
https://i.gyazo.com/7e9d7185b01ef5115bb6bdb032224f27.mp4

https://gyazo.com/7e9d7185b01ef5115bb6bdb032224f27

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 31, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How many FATEs total?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lemon-Lime posted:

If he was, the whole Forelands/Churning Mists segment would have been way harder.

Or more accurately, a non-starter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

He gets better as time goes on, but in the beginning he was a one-trick pony of "Heh, dragons, those savage uncultured beasts i slay by the thousands :smug: Why even bother trying to talk, i could just skewer them immediately and be done with it :smuggo: " every single time the WoL was trying to get anything done.

I did the Thordan trial afterwards now and it was pretty great! I mean, i didn't know what the hell was going on all fight and had to tank cause the DRK with a i230 weapon didn't feel like doing it, but it was a cool light show and nice interpretation of KotR.
Also i'm not sure what Thordan's sudden realization or whatever it was is about, but it was hilarious and awesome enough at the same time that the nonsense of the post-aetherlab cutscene is basically forgiven. :allears:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I just had tea with the queen, and now I'm kind of pissed off. Don't know if that means it was bad storytelling or effective storytelling. Oh well, at least Alphinaud hit puberty.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, i forget how long the credits in this game are and am surprised by it, every single time.

So, is the :airquote: Warrior of Darkness :airquote: based on your own class or is it always a Marauder? 'Cause that would be a pretty big coincidence in the latter case, and kinda neat in the former.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Man, i forget how long the credits in this game are and am surprised by it, every single time.

So, is the :airquote: Warrior of Darkness :airquote: based on your own class or is it always a Marauder? 'Cause that would be a pretty big coincidence in the latter case, and kinda neat in the former.

It's always the same model.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

HenryEx posted:

Always a warrior. He's the dude from the 1.0 and End of an Era cinematics.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For anyone on the fence, it's 222 medals by October 3rd, medals are something like 25-35% drop from FATEs, so it literally will be about a thousand FATEs worst-case, but you've got two months to do it so that's something like 15 FATEs per day.

I guess for me it comes down to how fast the FATE trains dry up. I would like to think, with such a lengthy event, that there'll be people still doing them in significant numbers at least on the weekends for the next few weeks or so. It goes faster if you've got other people who can help down the boss-style FATEs quickly.

I really only want the weapons I actually like. After that I'll still try and go for the shiny scooty puff, but if I don't get it because I couldn't get enough space bunny medals, it's not skin off my nose.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HenryEx posted:

Never played Dragoon so i didn't know Estinian was a thing before end of ARR. Now i'm pretty sure that i never want to play Dragoon.

You get to poke him with a spear in the Dragoon level 50 quest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HenryEx posted:

He gets better as time goes on, but in the beginning he was a one-trick pony of "Heh, dragons, those savage uncultured beasts i slay by the thousands :smug: Why even bother trying to talk, i could just skewer them immediately and be done with it :smuggo: " every single time the WoL was trying to get anything done.

I did the Thordan trial afterwards now and it was pretty great! I mean, i didn't know what the hell was going on all fight and had to tank cause the DRK with a i230 weapon didn't feel like doing it, but it was a cool light show and nice interpretation of KotR.
Also i'm not sure what Thordan's sudden realization or whatever it was is about, but it was hilarious and awesome enough at the same time that the nonsense of the post-aetherlab cutscene is basically forgiven. :allears:

Anyone got the moogle one

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Ouhei posted:

So the Yokai DRK weapon goes perfectly with the Warrior of Light set.

It's a good weapon

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

His sudden realization is that, even though he pretty much made himself a god, you are still way more powerful than him and he is completely hosed. Pretty much the whole 3.0 end sequence is several characters going "holy poo poo, the WoL is OP as hell" and yes it's great.

Now keep going. You meet Krile soon, she's the best.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXIV does some cool things with the old "Chosen One" trope imo. Actually realizing the political ramifications of a super powerful one man/woman army, the "chosen ones" own thoughts on the matter, etc.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

My second level 50! Shout out to the Ironworks Sword and Shield, because they're cool as poo poo. They're flippy and it reminds me of when I play as a Ninja.

Re: Heavensward's ending

Basically all of 3.0 and its patches are people going "Holy poo poo, have you always been incredible?" and your character nodding silently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wait wait wait hang on back up

HenryEx why would two bad guys arbitrarily and suddenly pulling a DBZ Fusion need forgiveness

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
yo im coming back to finally level my dragonskank to level 60 as monk and WHM, is there a new item gearing guide or should I just use the older ones and extrapolate them to level 60? I did a little MSQ as my WHM so I have some of the higher level gear on her otherwise I'll probably start using that gear for my MNK and picking up bits and pieces for the WHM along the way

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've already gone from 18 ARC to 25 grinding medals. Yokai event is a great excuse to dust off unused classes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have every class to 30 or above, so the ones like Jibanyan that are only in low level areas are pretty painful :qq: but Outer and Western La Noscea yokai grinding have been great to push my NIN and BRD up to 50.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I got like 4 MCH levels getting all my minion medals today

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Ouhei posted:

So the Yokai DRK weapon goes perfectly with the Warrior of Light set.

I hate you for having the complete set. 3 years on and I still don't have a single loving piece, either it doesn't drop or some other rear end in a top hat gets it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone got the moogle one

I think Denmo did that one, should be able to find it on his tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

HenryEx posted:

So with today's duty roulettes i finally have enough tomestones to buy one of the ilv200 items, which should bring me over the i142 requirement for the aether lab which has cockblocked me from continuing the story the last two days

(no, this i145 axe you're trying to give me is still worse than my i135 zeta relic, MSQ reward :argh: )

I kinda feel sorry for whoever has to heal an average i139 armored tank in that dungeon, but considering that the sync is at i180, i'll probably need a weapon upgrade the most to even come close to holding hate. Time to roll with 160 defense items

You could always fudge your ilvl with that 145 axe and swap back to your relic once inside, though. :ssh:

• Locked thread