Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Where's the B&W home development for dummies post? I'm tired of waiting a week for results. I'd like to do 135, 110, and 4x5.

edit: Also, whoever recommended the Pakon for 35mm - it really does give great results, but I'd rather not scour Ebay looking for a 10 year old device that I may or may not be able to get working in a Windows XP VM. Is there something good between "lovely flatbed I already have" and the Pakon?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've got some Fujifilm 400h that expired in 2012. I think it's been stored in a fridge all the time but I'm not sure. Do I need to do anything when I shoot and develop this stuff?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Xabi posted:

I've got some Fujifilm 400h that expired in 2012. I think it's been stored in a fridge all the time but I'm not sure. Do I need to do anything when I shoot and develop this stuff?

You should be okay shooting it at box speed, if you want to be really cautious shoot it at 320

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Helicity posted:

edit: Also, whoever recommended the Pakon for 35mm - it really does give great results, but I'd rather not scour Ebay looking for a 10 year old device that I may or may not be able to get working in a Windows XP VM. Is there something good between "lovely flatbed I already have" and the Pakon?

Plustek 8200i

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hi I'm back after like 4000 posts to say that I want to start getting into medium format film but have never developed at home (anything over 10 rolls and it just makes economic sense to buy a 200 dollar scanner and do it myself). Does anyone have any general tips on either of these?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Helicity posted:

Where's the B&W home development for dummies post? I'm tired of waiting a week for results. I'd like to do 135, 110, and 4x5.

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/56919-a-beginners-guide-to-cheap-and-easy-developing-of-black-and-white-film-at-home

This is a 'for dummies' writeup. I bet there's something in the process described that a more learned poster will call out, but I used it as a jumping-off point and generally had success with it. Just make sure to use distilled water, at least to mix your chems and for the final rinse.

And since I'm still an idiot when it comes to home processing, I have a question of my own. What's the likely cause of this?

(The blown highlight is bleeding out of the frame at the top.)

Obviously not noticeable when cropped to the edges of the frame, but does it look like a light leak, or a development process issue?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/56919-a-beginners-guide-to-cheap-and-easy-developing-of-black-and-white-film-at-home

This is a 'for dummies' writeup. I bet there's something in the process described that a more learned poster will call out, but I used it as a jumping-off point and generally had success with it. Just make sure to use distilled water, at least to mix your chems and for the final rinse.

And since I'm still an idiot when it comes to home processing, I have a question of my own. What's the likely cause of this?

Obviously not noticeable when cropped to the edges of the frame, but does it look like a light leak, or a development process issue?

I get those light leaks frequently when I have a strong light source at the edge of a frame--usually man-made, but I guess depending on your exposure it could be from natural light.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270&userid=83493#post344262317

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Developing b&w at home sounds a lot more intimidating than it actually is.

Just stick to a single type of film and a single type of developer. Don't go nuts with the developers.

The massive dev chart is your best friend, and I also like an app called develop! that times all of your stuff and also lets you make your own recipes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yep, it's when you have excessively strong light, it bleeds, possibly by bouncing around inside the film. May also be if the film gate doesn't snug completely up to the film.
But you can't entirely avoid bleeds like that on extremely overexposed areas.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The current state of Fuji's film efforts:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...m/#.V53rBGP_bMU

code:
FUJIFILM currently sold in the USA		July 1, 2016

Type	Format	Exposures	Comments
Amateur Film			

Superia 200 color negative	1
35	36	Re-introduced Aug 1, 2016
135	24	

Superia 400 color negative	
135	36	Re-introduced Aug 1, 2016
135	24	

Superia 800 color negative	
135	24	
135	36	Re-introduced Aug 1, 2016

Quicksnap One-Time Use Cameras			
Water Proof ISO 800
135	27	
ISO 400 with Flash	
135	27	
Xtra ISO 800 with Flash	
135	27	

Professional Film			
Acros 100 B&W Film	
135	36	
4X5	20	Cut sheet 20 pack

Pro 400 H color negative	
135	36	

Provia 100F Reversal Film	
135	36	
4X5	20	Cut sheet 20 pack
8X10	20	Cut sheet 20 pack

Velvia 50 Reversal Film	
135	36	

Velvia 100 Reversal Film	
135	36	
4X5	20	Cut sheet 20 pack
8X10	20	Cut sheet 20 pack

Spedman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 31, 2016

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
So I've got in front of me an Olympus Mju II in non-functioning condition I bought with every intention of fixing up. You guys think this is possible or a fool's errand?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Understanding posted:

So I've got in front of me an Olympus Mju II in non-functioning condition I bought with every intention of fixing up. You guys think this is possible or a fool's errand?

If it's the zoom lens one, there are a thousand of those around KEH and Ebay and you're probably better off just getting one in working order.

If you want to tinker with it and see if you can get it running through, go to town. Do you know what's wrong with it yet?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Understanding posted:

Do you have experience repairing small electronics? Do you already know what needs to be fixed? If the answer to both of those is no, then godspeed you fool.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

it's the 35mm 2.8, and since it's non-responsive with a fresh battery, I had to conclude what ever's wrong with it had to do with power. After I put it back together it had momentary power and would whir a bit for half a second.

Unfortunately it looks like this thing took a bad drop while in it's case, since there was a lot of plastic pieces kicking around but the plastic cover is fine. If I go any deeper into this I'll have to accept that i could have it in so many pieces I might not get it back together again. I wont have the time to do real an investigative teardown, and i'll need another multimeter because the cheapie one i own doesn't test continuity.

I only bought it for $15, so I'm not broken up about it. I just love the Mjui/Mju ii cameras.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What kind of lovely conditions would a roll of C41 film have to be kept at to make it emulsify as fast as possible? I bought a roll of Portra 400 from someone at work that was only 4 years expired, and it looks like I went to Hell Boston for the weekend. Everything's super blue with red/yellow spikes that start at the bottom, and 7-8 of my shots came out completely black (randomly scattered, not just in a row). Just wondering at how bad he had to have hosed up.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Could it be your camera? Are there black frames or just black across the entire neg?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

change my name posted:

What kind of lovely conditions would a roll of C41 film have to be kept at to make it emulsify as fast as possible? I bought a roll of Portra 400 from someone at work that was only 4 years expired, and it looks like I went to Hell Boston for the weekend. Everything's super blue with red/yellow spikes that start at the bottom, and 7-8 of my shots came out completely black (randomly scattered, not just in a row). Just wondering at how bad he had to have hosed up.

leaving it in the trunk of a car parked in the sun for 3 days while camping during the summer will lead to some very interesting colors.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Understanding posted:

Could it be your camera? Are there black frames or just black across the entire neg?

So after asking around my office, the consensus is that my camera leaked somehow (minolta x-700).

Some of the frames are black throughout, including the numbering near the sprockets.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Light leaks are the devil's work. Especially after you sink hours into sealing and resealing a back only to find out that the problem was caused by a malfunctioning shutter.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I bought an old Praktica LTL because I decided I should shoot more 35mm film (I still prefer medium format, but it's cumbersome to lug around, plus I've hurt my shoulder which doesn't help).

Then, after few hours it broke :negative:. Film advance lever got stuck, and while I managed to fix that, shutter speed selector is now acting up.

While I could just buy another one, I'm kind of getting sick of crappy East German and Soviet cameras (except my Pentacon Six, because it seems it is one of those few which will last forever).

Any recommendations for a good M42 lensmount camera? I'd like to keep using those sweet, sharp CZJ lenses.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Yesterday I bought an old Praktica LTL because I decided I should shoot more 35mm film (I still prefer medium format, but it's cumbersome to lug around, plus I've hurt my shoulder which doesn't help).

Then, after few hours it broke :negative:. Film advance lever got stuck, and while I managed to fix that, shutter speed selector is now acting up.

While I could just buy another one, I'm kind of getting sick of crappy East German and Soviet cameras (except my Pentacon Six, because it seems it is one of those few which will last forever).

Any recommendations for a good M42 lensmount camera? I'd like to keep using those sweet, sharp CZJ lenses.

Zenit-E. Find a good one and it will last you forever.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Get a Bessa-R and put soviet LTM lenses on it

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've been scared to try and mix & match Kiev RF bodies and lenses with Cosina and Nikon RF bodies and lenses, and Russian LTM bodies and lenses with Cosina, Canon, and Leica LTM bodies and lenses. So basically afraid to forge a Third Way between capitalist and communist rangefinders. But it's because I hear that focus accuracy would suffer, due to the two classes having different standard focus calibrations or something.

I've been interested in picking up an m42 camera as well. I'm sure a good zenit is reliable, but I really value mirror lock up so my options are apparantly limited to one of the early K-mount cameras with MLU, plus m42 adapter, or (comedy $$$ option) a Bessaflex.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pentax 67 has MLU...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just getting back into developing my own b&w -- holy gently caress, has hc-110 always been this expensive or did something happen? Almost $100cdn for 1L.
I /think/ I remember it being a little more reasonable.
Now I wish I hadnt left my unused bottle in a hot garage 3 years ago.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Pentax 67 has MLU...

Some of the Pentax 6x7 ones don't though.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Martytoof posted:

Just getting back into developing my own b&w -- holy gently caress, has hc-110 always been this expensive or did something happen? Almost $100cdn for 1L.
I /think/ I remember it being a little more reasonable.
Now I wish I hadnt left my unused bottle in a hot garage 3 years ago.

It should be about half that, I think; I just bought a bottle last month or so for USD $30. The price has gone up a little but nothing like that.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I have some brown gunk floating around my jar with d76 in it. the liquid is still clear, but I can't imagine this is good. should I toss it?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

15 year old Elite Chrome 200. Still able to get something out of it despite the slides being very very pink.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay I found my bottle of HC-110. Expired 2010. May have spent some time in a garage -- hot summers, cold winters. Regardless, I'll run a roll through it. I've been reading that HC doesn't expire easily, but everyone's like "yeah this has been expired a year" or "two".. Not six years and fluctuating temperature like mine. I guess it'll be an adventure.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Okay I found my bottle of HC-110. Expired 2010. May have spent some time in a garage -- hot summers, cold winters. Regardless, I'll run a roll through it. I've been reading that HC doesn't expire easily, but everyone's like "yeah this has been expired a year" or "two".. Not six years and fluctuating temperature like mine. I guess it'll be an adventure.

Oxygen will kill it rather than temp fluctuations, if the bottle has been sealed properly and doesn't have any floaters it should be worth a try.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The color and viscosity also indicates if it's good or not. Like lighter colour and more liquid.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My rule of thumb for HC-110 has always been if it hasn't broken down enough to leak out of the bottle it's probably fine. I used some 4 year old stuff once.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spedman posted:

Oxygen will kill it rather than temp fluctuations, if the bottle has been sealed properly and doesn't have any floaters it should be worth a try.

Yeah, it hasn't ever been opened that I can tell. I used to use Ilfosol3 and another bottle of HC110 that my friend gave me before I went into my film hiatus, from what I remember I bought this to have a backup once I ran out and just never got around to it.

I'll give it a shot.

My problem now is that I'm using potentially expired film from bulk stock that was sitting around in the same area as the developer, AND potentially bad developer, so I guess I should buy a few rolls of known-good film so I don't drive myself crazy figuring out which is which.

Also all my cameras are full manual and I'll probably gently caress up exposure and spend another day figuring that out. Maybe time to pick up a cheap ME Super with metering.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
So, I really done hosed up with this roll of film and I'm not sure it's worth trying to get it developed, need someone to tell me it's ok/it's not. Basically something went wrong when I tried to remove the film, the film seemed to be caught and I couldn't wind it back into its container. When I tried it would "catch" and I'd have to force it - sounded like it was tearing when I did this so I stopped. The only way I could get the film out in the end was to open up the back of the camera and pull it out by hand, so I got my fingers all over the film and the film is not inside its container, it's rolled around the outside. I did this in a very dark room, but then the rolled up film did get exposed to light briefly afterwards.

Does it sound like it's going to pretty much ruined? I feel like not much of the film has actually been exposed to light, but I don't know if me touching it would affect it and also I wonder if the light could just penetrate the whole roll

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Your finger grease won't affect the result too much. It's much harder to say if it has been ruined by light exposure.
If you're getting a lab to develop it, maybe ask if they can waive the cost, or give you a reduction, if the entire film happens to be ruined.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nielsm posted:

Your finger grease won't affect the result too much. It's much harder to say if it has been ruined by light exposure.
If you're getting a lab to develop it, maybe ask if they can waive the cost, or give you a reduction, if the entire film happens to be ruined.

That's what I like about Colonial Photo & Hobby. I brought in that 120 film that the pre-1910 Kodak Brownie hosed up with, along with a test roll I ran through later that day to see if the camera was totally unable to work. They quickly stuffed the rolls into light-tight canisters and checked them both for light exposure, and threw out the test roll for free after I said I didn't want it developed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Your fingerprints won't affect things much, I've definitely hosed up getting film onto a reel before and ended up pawing the entire thing with my sweaty hands without ill effect. Light exposure is hard to say but generally when it's happened to me (accidentally opening a camera back or something) it's generally just destroyed a couple of frames, the film rolled up on the spool has been OK. So probably worth trying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The worst that will happen is you'll be out $10~, so I would get it developed. My lab doesn't charge me if a roll comes back blank.... not that I've ever done that before ;)