Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

darthbob88 posted:

It's not just jumping, though, it's any skill, provided you can spend a minute demonstrating it without appearing threatening. You want to spend a minute spouting off about the Gods and why they're assholes, people will love you for your atheistic insight. You want to spend a minute rocking out, you'll get all the groupies. You want to spend a minute or three playing hide and seek or showing off your disguises, they'll follow you wherever you go, even if they can't see you. Jump is just the easiest skill to cheese like that.

The one minute time frame is what makes it really shine. "Look, I can use my Swim skill for a whooooooole minute! Worship me!" Or "in one minute I've Cooked the greatest morsel you'll ever know." Is bar tending a skill? If someone makes a cocktail worth dying for in a minute flat, all the more power to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
To be fair, if someone could bake a cake in 1 minute flat I would probably pledge them my eternal allegiance.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thaddius the Large posted:

The one minute time frame is what makes it really shine. "Look, I can use my Swim skill for a whooooooole minute! Worship me!" Or "in one minute I've Cooked the greatest morsel you'll ever know." Is bar tending a skill? If someone makes a cocktail worth dying for in a minute flat, all the more power to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAxE2vS318

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Thaddius the Large posted:

To be fair, it's at least 1 minute, so presumably you are allowed to take an hour and more to make a cake or the best hors d'oeuvres your audience has ever tasted. Of course, the other problem is that "The demonstration must be nonthreatening and intended to entertain and amuse the onlookers." You can't just make the most delicious cake or nibble or drink, you have to make a show.
Yep, that'd do it, I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cocktail is a profoundly weird movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Cocktail is a profoundly weird movie.

And you KNOW Cruise is actually doing that poo poo. Dude loving climbed the Burj Khalifa for a movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Bravo posted:

To be fair, if someone could bake a cake in 1 minute flat I would probably pledge them my eternal allegiance.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's a page of Flash where Iris is knocking on his door and he forgets they had a date. So he quickly has a montage of him cleaning the house as she's knocking, but among the things he does is put a turkey in the oven, which is somehow cooked when he answers the door.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

There's a page of Flash where Iris is knocking on his door and he forgets they had a date. So he quickly has a montage of him cleaning the house as she's knocking, but among the things he does is put a turkey in the oven, which is somehow cooked when he answers the door.

Whenever you notice something like that, the speed force did it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Getting the flash laid is the primary focus of the speed force actually.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He moved it so fast the friction cooked it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

He stole a turkey that someone else cooked and put it in the oven.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A turkey is a really dumb meal for a date.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe they were having a low-key Thanksgiving.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

A turkey is a really dumb meal for a date.

When you're Barry Allen, you know you're so boring that you're going to put your date to sleep. At least if you serve turkey you can blame it on the tryptophan.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When you're Barry Allen, you know you're so boring that you're going to put your date to sleep. At least if you serve turkey you can blame it on the tryptophan.

But Barry's all about science and FLASH FACTS, so he probably wouldn't feel comfortable propagating the "turkey makes you drowsy" myth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Flash Fact the metabolization of Tryptophan doesn't put you to sleep, but my lukewarm personality drat well will.

My name is Barry Allen and I am the whitest person alive

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shhhh Geoff Johns will hear you and kill Wally again.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Flash Fact the metabolization of Tryptophan doesn't put you to sleep, but my lukewarm personality drat well will.

My name is Barry Allen and I am the whitest person alive

Hal Jordan exists though

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

How do you bake a cake that big so that it's not raw in the center

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

AnonSpore posted:

A quick fly by the sun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Shooting tiny Supermen to fly through cake capillaries using their heat vision

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

AnonSpore posted:

He built a giant oven can you not read?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

AnonSpore posted:

There are ventilation ducts in the cake's structure which are targeted by fans to ensure that the hot air fills the cake's heating coils evenly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

And you KNOW Cruise is actually doing that poo poo. Dude loving climbed the Burj Khalifa for a movie.

When he was in The Color of Money he had a pool table in his hotel and played 8 hours a day. I imagine during Cocktail he was just randomly juggling different sized bottles half full of water.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I may not like Cruise as a person but I can respect how seriously he takes his acting. That and he was hilarious in Tropic Thunder so that compensates for some things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I may not like Cruise as a person but I can respect how seriously he takes his acting. That and he was hilarious in Tropic Thunder so that compensates for some things.

Tom Cruise is usually a reason you should watch a movie, not a reason you shouldn't. He's also a profoundly weird person.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Tom Cruise owns. I still need to see Edge of Tomorrow.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Live Die Repeat is 2/3 fun sci-fi, 1/3 boring action movie. Unfortunately the movie hits a certain point and just completely runs out of steam.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hup posted:

Tom Cruise owns. I still need to see Edge of Tomorrow.

This is relevant to the thread, because Edge of Tomorrow is an adaption of the infinitely better named All You Need Is Kill:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They literally lose the ability that fuels the entire movie's gimmick with like a whole half hour to go.

All You Need is Kill is far too foreign bad translation sounding to work as an American movie. Since it is.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Edge of Tomorrow was such an overrated flick. I had more fun watching God's Not Dead the same year it came out.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Aphrodite posted:

They literally lose the ability that fuels the entire movie's gimmick with like a whole half hour to go.

All You Need is Kill is far too foreign bad translation sounding to work as an American movie. Since it is.

They also cut out anything about the actual nature of the enemy, and sorta just... make it a happy feel-good hollywood movie ending.
The original story ends in a distinctly depressing way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

That wouldn't actually stop anyone from going to see it, because "All You Need is Kill" sounds badass. The right trailer and literally any fan of action movies is there Day 1.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

That wouldn't actually stop anyone from going to see it, because "All You Need is Kill" sounds badass. The right trailer and literally any fan of action movies is there Day 1.

Literally anything would look better compared to the genericness of Edge of Tomorrow, but seriously, the title "All You Need Is Kill"? :krad: I don't give a gently caress what marketing thinks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All You Need is Kill is a great title because inevitably you remember that one Beatles song and :aaa:

Live/Die/Repeat is an acceptable alternative, but it's kind of blagh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WickedHate posted:

Literally anything would look better compared to the genericness of Edge of Tomorrow, but seriously, the title "All You Need Is Kill"? :krad: I don't give a gently caress what marketing thinks.

Marketing had the right idea when the first two things announced about this movie was:

- It's called All You Need is Kill

- Also here's an image from Tom Cruise in power armor outrunning an explosion

Don't think I've eve been so immediately sold on a movie since this.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The books, All You Need is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow) and World War Z are so good and so distinct from their movie adaptions that they aren't even the same thing.

I highly and immediately recommend both.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I read World War Z front to back and it was so bad it soured me on the entire zombie concept for years. (Granted, all I remember anymore is the :japan: and bad celebrity satire segments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I know he tries to look taller on screen but I think they overdid it that time.