Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Xealot posted:

"Superhero films" are a fad the way Westerns are. In that they're a familiar set of genre markers that find their way into tons of poo poo, and don't "disappear" so much as ebb and flow in popular media, with shifting tones, styles, and applications.

Superhero stories are also like westerns in that they're explorations of American identity that tend towards nationalism and exceptionalism. So, the question is, will there be anything like what happened in the 70's, when shifting popular values in the US after Vietnam made typical Westerns unpalatable.

Wasn't it Steven Spielberg that said this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Justin Godscock posted:

Wasn't it Steven Spielberg that said this?

That's possible; I definitely didn't invent this reading, and have heard a number of permutations of it.

Vietnam poisoned the popular perception of Westerns because the themes of Manifest Destiny and "civilizing savage, untamed wilderness" became super uncomfortable after all the war crimes and what-not. There's a reason that Unforgiven happened, and was dedicated to deconstructing the gunslinger archetype in the way it did.

I can only imagine what level of hosed up stuff would have to happen in American society to make Batman unpopular. George Zimmerman shows us how lovely real-life vigilante enforcers would be, but that's had no effect on Batman's popularity, clearly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
To a certain extent, there is a smidgen of questioning, deconstruction and self-awareness in the superhero genre. Things like Winter Soldier, Civil War, Super, Kickass, and so on. I'm not saying that it's enough to be laudable, but that variance might help insulate it from the same sort of sudden incongruity with American popular consciousness. Then again, if American culture is going to chance in a Pentagon Papers / Watergate sort of way, I am not going to pretend I can predict just how drastically and in what way that change will happen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If Vietnam, Watergate & September 11 were game-changers for culture, one has to worry about what will be dramatic enough to curb people's enthusiasm for Superhero cinema.

I actually doubt it will, at least entirely. The machine is running so smoothly now, it's hooking kids young. The only thing that compares is Star Wars and that hasn't been out of the cultural mindset for more than a minute since the 1970s.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just got the Art of Mad Max coffee book and it's amazing. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
my favourite hack online movie critics talked about The Road Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYLk6nMB23o

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, here's some concept art that's been released recently--

a car

max hanging off of a car

not-max hanging off of a car's engine

another car

many cars

early furiosa

early furiosa in colour

early concept of immortan joe

check out more on the dude's website: http://www.peterpound.com.au/

it also includes concept art and storyboards for Babe and Babe 2!!!

but seriously, check out his Mad Max Fury Road stuff, some of it dates back to 1997. it's pretty rad!

In retrospect, some of this is probably in the Mad Max coffee table book

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 27, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
really diggin' the shots of the different factions:

The Citadel

Gastown

The Bullet Farm

The Wives and early Furiosa, as "The Praetorian"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

All that and more is in the art book, including more info about Blue Man Group Joe (Furiosa was going to be blue too at one point). I really can't recommend it enough but I'll post some pics of the cool cars and stuff later.

Some of the early citadel guys are really Thunderdome and generally 80s in their look. Lots of piercings, face tattoos, that sort of thing. Really glad they went with the warboy look as cool as that stuff looks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

early furiosa
Something tells me this wouldn't have gone over as well in feminist circles.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's amazing how intact some of those concept drawings are in the final product

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blind Sally posted:

Islamic influenced garb and stillsuit design straight out of Dune. :gizz:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If ever a movie demanded extra content on the level of Lord of the Rings it's this one.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sorry in advance for the blurry lovely quality of the pics. The artbook is huge and my scanner isn't big enough.

So the book opens with concept art and character histories and stuff for all the major charctors, then moves on to talk about each scene one by one.

A couple more Immortan concepts.

And some shots of the citidel, which didn't really change much besides the crumbling skyscraper there. (Speaking of, that mountain pass they go through was originally going to be this ruined and sand-covered cityscape.)

I doubt you can read that but this was the first shot Miller had in mind for the movie and it didn't change at all ever. Ever since Mad Max 3 he had this idea of the opening shot of Max staring out into the wastes, contemplating driving into this place where no one ever returns. Also fun fact: It was originally the same salt flats that they end up at at the end of the film. Adds something to the scene of Max chasing them down across the plain to bring back Furiosa and the Wives, especially his line there.

Speaking of Furiosa, here's some concept art of her. Not a great deal of change over the original at this point but the arm designs are badass

The Warboys! Everyone originally had this blue hair, war paint thing going on. Check out that loving Codpiece on Nux up there, holy poo poo. You can see what I mean when I say at some point everyone was making Fury Road as a sequel to Thunderdome instead of its own thing.

Nothing special about these two, I just like the hover car and storyboards. That top one was supposed to be the Buzzards I think, who in this version drove hover cars. Yeah.

Buy the art book its amaaaazing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Hover car driving buzzards would have ruled, though I really liked their rusted spiky designs.

Having each gang have a unique theme to it really endeared me to this film.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Sorry in advance for the blurry lovely quality of the pics. The artbook is huge and my scanner isn't big enough.

So the book opens with concept art and character histories and stuff for all the major charctors, then moves on to talk about each scene one by one.

A couple more Immortan concepts.

And some shots of the citidel, which didn't really change much besides the crumbling skyscraper there. (Speaking of, that mountain pass they go through was originally going to be this ruined and sand-covered cityscape.)

I doubt you can read that but this was the first shot Miller had in mind for the movie and it didn't change at all ever. Ever since Mad Max 3 he had this idea of the opening shot of Max staring out into the wastes, contemplating driving into this place where no one ever returns. Also fun fact: It was originally the same salt flats that they end up at at the end of the film. Adds something to the scene of Max chasing them down across the plain to bring back Furiosa and the Wives, especially his line there.

Speaking of Furiosa, here's some concept art of her. Not a great deal of change over the original at this point but the arm designs are badass

The Warboys! Everyone originally had this blue hair, war paint thing going on. Check out that loving Codpiece on Nux up there, holy poo poo. You can see what I mean when I say at some point everyone was making Fury Road as a sequel to Thunderdome instead of its own thing.

Nothing special about these two, I just like the hover car and storyboards. That top one was supposed to be the Buzzards I think, who in this version drove hover cars. Yeah.

Buy the art book its amaaaazing

Where can I get my own copy?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Where can I get my own copy?

Amazon has it still in stock. It was on sale for $17~ recently but its back up to $25 now

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

I love this movie

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No poo poo 1997, this looks like straight from Tank Girl. As far as I can judge, never having read it...

quote:

Whereas this is straight up Warhammer 40K.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

No poo poo 1997, this looks like straight from Tank Girl. As far as I can judge, never having read it...

Nope, the reason that looks like it's from Tank Girl is because that's Brendan McCarthy's work, who was widely admired by Jamie Hewlett.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah it's all very 40k and that's not a bad thing.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

I AM NOT COMPENSATING FOR ANYTHING STOP SAYING THAT WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT

(also how the gently caress does Spintires not have a War Rig mod?)

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 28, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Blind Sally posted:

really diggin' the shots of the different factions:

The Citadel

Gastown

The Bullet Farm

I'd love a Mad Max: Fury Road comic book with that art style.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kassad posted:

Too bad that Jean Giraud is dead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alhazred posted:

Too bad that Jean Giraud is dead.

:smith:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kassad posted:

Didn't they do a set of MMFR comics?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, but they were only alright.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They were spin-offs to explain the backstory of a bunch of characters, and using a completely different style.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The comics had value in fleshing out the world, but that's about it. If you want to know the origin story of Immortan Joe and Nux and find out how the Wives convinced Furiosa to help them escape, read them. Have fun learning about how Joe anally rapes Toast the Knowing because that's outright stated in there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

The comics had value in fleshing out the world, but that's about it. If you want to know the origin story of Immortan Joe and Nux and find out how the Wives convinced Furiosa to help them escape, read them. Have fun learning about how Joe anally rapes Toast the Knowing because that's outright stated in there.

:stare: well, I was interested once.

From what I read on Wikipedia, the issue about Max sounds like the plot for the video game, so just play that, because it owns. I will highly recommend not shooting for 100% completion of anything before the finial battle because there's no NG+, which is egregious since you get some cool stuff at the end :negative:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Isn't rape also part of Furiosa's backstory as well? Can't have a badass female character without her getting raped at some point in her past.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Isn't rape also part of Furiosa's backstory as well? Can't have a badass female character without her getting raped at some point in her past.

I think she was a rejected Wife. As far as I know all of the backstory from the comics comes from George Miller's own backstory notes. The comics just aren't nearly as good at the film at showing rather than telling, so they end up explicitly describing the rape of the Wives and such.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Young Freud posted:

You make it sound that it's not something that's likely.

History has not been good to women.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The comics all explain poo poo that don't need explained.

It's sad too, since the Furiosa comic has amazing art but completely contradicts and lameifies the history of the wives and Furiosa.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
No, it most certainly does not.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
What I can't stand about the Furiosa/Wives comic is how it didn't go with the actually interesting story, which is how she went from 'failed wife' to 'highly skilled and respected imperator and driver of the War Rig' in a society like Immortan Joe's.

Not that any of the characters' backstories even needed to have comics made for them, of course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think this story was stronger because they left out all that tedious horror story about people being raped and so forth, and in the end it turned out you didn't need any of it for the film to work.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

No, it most certainly does not.

How does it not?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

What I can't stand about the Furiosa/Wives comic is how it didn't go with the actually interesting story, which is how she went from 'failed wife' to 'highly skilled and respected imperator and driver of the War Rig' in a society like Immortan Joe's.

Not that any of the characters' backstories even needed to have comics made for them, of course.

My guess is that story isn't in there because that's the rumored Furiosa spin off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm unsure if the fault is more with the artist(s) or the editor, but they could have chosen to interpret Miller's notes in a way that didn't explicitly show repeated rapes and constant pregnancy checks (Organic Mechanic: OB/GYN! - and framed between a woman's legs, no less, because Sexy!). Like Parasol Prophet said, if there HAD to be backstory, it ought to have focused on Furiosa's growth and choices that made her the person we meet in the film.

chitoryu12 posted:

Have fun learning about how Joe anally rapes Toast the Knowing because that's outright stated in there.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me how the script implies Joe is bi/gay and vilifies him for this reason, as opposed to being, ya know, a goddamn rapist.

• Locked thread