Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah, one of Midoriya's biggest positives is that he's extremely observant and able to take in and recall all sorts of information about others, because he's been doing it his entire life with his Hero notebooks. But because he grew up with no quirk, he doesn't have that same level of observance when it comes to himself. He realizes his own flaws quickly enough, but takes a long time coming up with solutions or ways around them because he's both overthinking it and not used to self-reflection in that way. He's a smart kid with a good heart and a boatload of boneheaded courage but he was a scrawny nerd for 14 years before he did 10 months of strength training and got one of the strongest quirks in history. It makes total sense that he's not going to be properly equipped to be the successor to All Might for quite awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kaminari being the traitor could work but that "evidence" is really stretching it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

Kaminari being the traitor could work but that "evidence" is really stretching it.
It was posted earlier in the thread and way more succinctly too. The two-face thing though is probably one of the more damning bits of evidence, he totally specifically drew him with one super evil half to his face and one friendly half in that shot, in addition to other bits of evidence. And there's rarely been simple coincidences in this series.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's no way there's actually enough evidence to pick a traitor out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It was posted earlier in the thread and way more succinctly too. The two-face thing though is probably one of the more damning bits of evidence, he totally specifically drew him with one super evil half to his face and one friendly half in that shot, in addition to other bits of evidence. And there's rarely been simple coincidences in this series.

bakugou gets 100% psycho face all the time and he's not evil, 50% psycho face means nothing

and it doesn't even look like psycho face to me

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
You guys have to remember that deku has no real experience with OFA so when he uses it he just pictures and imitates All Might. up until full cowl he basically thought of OFA as mostly a special punch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Switching to kicks doesn't even necessarily have to be a permanent solution, either, just a very helpful stopgap. He turned his arms to beef jerky and nearly destroyed them when he first started using OFA and had no idea how to control it in the slightest, so now they're hosed and if he stresses them too much with his imperfect control they'll be crippled. Comparatively, he's only hosed his legs up a couple of times, which means they're a lot fresher and less messed up internally; since he has far greater control over OFA than he did when he first started, he can continue being an active hero and practicing his power control without permanently destroying his limbs if something goes wrong or he has to go too hard.

Plus, Deku has a drastically different body type than All Might; he's a lot skinnier even with all his training, less like All Might's bodybuilder physique and more like a runner. Kicks might just be a better thing to focus on based on the nature of his body.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, he seemed to get some leg gear as well as the new arm gear. So they're braced and protected, just like he's doing with his arms.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

RatHat posted:

The evidence is stretching it, to be sure, but he's probably still the only student without a solid alibi at some point.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kanos posted:

Switching to kicks doesn't even necessarily have to be a permanent solution, either, just a very helpful stopgap. He turned his arms to beef jerky and nearly destroyed them when he first started using OFA and had no idea how to control it in the slightest, so now they're hosed and if he stresses them too much with his imperfect control they'll be crippled. Comparatively, he's only hosed his legs up a couple of times, which means they're a lot fresher and less messed up internally; since he has far greater control over OFA than he did when he first started, he can continue being an active hero and practicing his power control without permanently destroying his limbs if something goes wrong or he has to go too hard.

Plus, Deku has a drastically different body type than All Might; he's a lot skinnier even with all his training, less like All Might's bodybuilder physique and more like a runner. Kicks might just be a better thing to focus on based on the nature of his body.

Deku has braces for both his arms and legs, he's not going full kick fighter. He's just going to throw out more kicks when he fights from now on.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The evidence is "he has a weird face," and "we drew a bunch of fan-comics about how he's the traitor."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's also his electric quirk and how there was a missing student during one of the nights at the camp

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

You guys have to remember that deku has no real experience with OFA so when he uses it he just pictures and imitates All Might. up until full cowl he basically thought of OFA as mostly a special punch.

He also doesn't seem to have very much actual fight training. Uraraka busted out actual fight skills and Ojiro is a martial artist with a tail. Everyone else just kind of adapted their quirk to fighting, and Midoriya still hasn't really figured that out yet. He's still just essentially throwing wild haymakers and hopping they connect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

He also doesn't seem to have very much actual fight training. Uraraka busted out actual fight skills and Ojiro is a martial artist with a tail. Everyone else just kind of adapted their quirk to fighting, and Midoriya still hasn't really figured that out yet. He's still just essentially throwing wild haymakers and hopping they connect.

Ah, the Ippo school of fighting.

e: as for the traitor, the only evidence I can see is stuff relating to how people write these sort of stories rather than in-world stuff. Like, Shinsou was specifically shown again after the semester finals to indicate something like him transferring to heroics possibly.

This would leave one class with 21 people, which doesn't work out for pairing people off (they may set a strict limit on class size too) for exercises and it just kinda seems weirdly unbalanced and etc etc. Therefore, someone will probably leave either class 1-A or 1-B. I figured it was going to be Bakugou when he got kidnapped since I figured he was going to either turn, or get made into a noumu or something.

So the traitor being a student makes sense in that their heel turn would result in them leaving, opening a spot for Shinsou. Kaminari would be a good one to turn traitor since he's inexplicably popular with the Japanese readers and kinda present/intertwined with the class enough for it to hurt if it was him. Also he's one of the few where if he secretly knew how to use his quirk super-well he'd be a legit danger to even the strongest people in both classes- which would make him a good badguy for a climactic arc fight.

I mean, it fits in that it's a setup for plenty of old-fashioned Shounen cliches.

...chances are it'll just be some literally who or Midnight or something.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 30, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, I think "Full Cowl -- Shoot Style" is supposed to emphasize that he's going to use his whole body as a weapon instead of just punching. Shoot fighting is what they used to call MMA before some guy copyrighted the term (and they still call it that in Japan).

Hopefully this is leading up to CQC training with Uraraka.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Once the traitor is revealed I hope the author takes a moment to point out all the things he hid in the previous chapters.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Justice League cartoon was pretty anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slime posted:

bakugou gets 100% psycho face all the time and he's not evil, 50% psycho face means nothing

Bakugou has a backstory and we've seen his parents. Electric kid doesn't, has gone missing or conveniently dumb-moded through attacks, and we don't know anything about his history or family. That face, too, is super suspicious, and it totally looks like a two-face type of face.

Green Intern posted:

The evidence is "he has a weird face," and "we drew a bunch of fan-comics about how he's the traitor."
Not really, there's a ton of circumstantial evidence towards him.

Mindblast posted:

Once the traitor is revealed I hope the author takes a moment to point out all the things he hid in the previous chapters.

I forget did attack on titan do that? Or maybe it was just a montage of suspicious scenes that someone compiled afterwards.

Man, the dude who guessed it like two years before it happened though, that was some sherlock holmes poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For reference, here's the first speculation image. There's some of the fanfiction stuff at the bottom but it's got most of the salient points up top.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I think "Full Cowl -- Shoot Style" is supposed to emphasize that he's going to use his whole body as a weapon instead of just punching. Shoot fighting is what they used to call MMA before some guy copyrighted the term (and they still call it that in Japan).

I was hoping it was called Shoot Style because he was going to become a soccer-themed hero.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

can't wait for Full Cowl -- Worked Style

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vengarr posted:

Deku is going to binge through so many MMA youtubes. We'll know he's in a good place if his new moves are now spinning poo poo.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
His quirk is Shonen Protagonist so he might as well fight like one.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slime posted:

Bakugou has the coolest mom in the series (dekumom is a very close second.) Thus he cannot be the bad guy no matter how psycho his face gets.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I was hoping it was called Shoot Style because he was going to become a soccer-themed hero.

His special move will just be pulling out a revolver like the sleep gas kid in the camping arc. Just shoot the villain fulla holes.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Blackheart posted:

His special move will just be pulling out a revolver like the sleep gas kid in the camping arc. Just shoot the villain fulla holes.

He'll have to change his hero name to Indiana Jones

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gyges posted:

Deku is going to binge through so many MMA youtubes. We'll know he's in a good place if his new moves are now spinning poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDpP7NM-M8

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Butt Ghost posted:

The Justice League cartoon was pretty anime.

You have no idea. Also the DCAU was great and infinitely better than the actual comic storylines.

Slime posted:

Like you said, Bakugou is crazy all the time. We've had that established as his character, a drawing of him looking nuts isn't out of the ordinary. But the image there shows him smiling on one side, sinister looking on the other. We don't see the character with an expression like that, it's not normal. Alone it would be weird, but nothing. But there are other inconsistencies like his frequent disappearances during fights due to being an idiot, his lack of a background and you can call it a stretch but details like him wearing a black shirt when everyone else in the group wears a white one, and his bizarrely generic room among the group of really personalized ones tend to stand out.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I suspect the traitor is that Mushroom girl from class B. I don't trust her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The main argument against Kaminari being the mole is that he's genuinely dumb, even when not using his power. The databook gives him a 1 out of 5 in intelligence.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I could see Kaminari being the traitor, even if it's based on metagaming the plot rather than solid evidence.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The main argument against Kaminari being the mole is that he's genuinely dumb, even when not using his power. The databook gives him a 1 out of 5 in intelligence.

To be fair OPM's official stats on Saitama show him as hilariously low because the stats are wrong

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Nuebot posted:

[...] him wearing a black shirt when everyone else in the group wears a white one, and his bizarrely generic room among the group of really personalized ones tend to stand out.

True signs of a twisted, evil person. I bet Kaminari plays D&D too.

The two strongest clues are both not actually in the manga itself: the sketch of his first design (a villainous character) and the Jekyll/Hyde face.

I did notice that during the first invasion (chapter 16) he appears to be talking to Jirou and Yaoyorozu... but it can also be interpreted as if he is actually talking to someone else to indicate that he needs to stop jamming the signals to protect himself from goons that are attacking him.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't think anyone means that Kaminari's expression alone makes him the traitor, it's just when people started thinking "hey, what if" they noticed a whole bunch of circumstantial poo poo that would make sense.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I know this sounds ridiculous but unless it's info explicitly signed by the author, databooks aren't canon. They are usually written by Shueshia's employees and they know as much as we do. One particular One Piece databook confirmed certain character as dead even though he ended up being alive, and let's not mention the power level lists on Dragon Ball databooks.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Kaminari should be the traitor because there's already two spiky haired shonen boys in the class and they're both cooler than him

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I could name a certain character from a series with three "rear end"es in the title who had similar ultra-subtle foreshadowing and had a similar role in the cast - that is, often being present and interacting with others, but not really impacting the plot in a meaningful way until the big reveal. Her entry in that series's databook didn't even slightly hint at her true identity and was filled with lies. So don't take that 1/5 intelligence as absolute truth. Especially because on at least two occasions he's shown acting smarter, or at least more knowledgeable, than he ought to be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Piriwi posted:

True signs of a twisted, evil person. I bet Kaminari plays D&D too.

The two strongest clues are both not actually in the manga itself: the sketch of his first design (a villainous character) and the Jekyll/Hyde face.

And the whole sleep over during the second invasion. He's one of the unaccounted for dudes right before the villains attack.

Also dudes straight up said he thought Stain was kinda cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's not forget that Kaminari can be both a traitor and a little bit dim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Petiso posted:

I know this sounds ridiculous but unless it's info explicitly signed by the author, databooks aren't canon. They are usually written by Shueshia's employees and they know as much as we do. One particular One Piece databook confirmed certain character as dead even though he ended up being alive, and let's not mention the power level lists on Dragon Ball databooks.

To be fair to the One Piece example, you can't exactly have databooks spoiling upcoming plot events.