Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The enemy team, lead by a guy with a Trump related username, camped the spawn doorway on Dorado so hard that as Pharah I snuck above and past them and solo pushed the payload from the choke point under the bridge all the way up the incline and around the plaza to the gate. Only one person tried to stop me and I disposed of them easily.

It was basically like one of those MOBA videos where people camp the enemy spawn zone so hard that they don't notice their own base being destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're legitimately in the 20s, that's probably about as rare on the low end as people in the 80s on the high end. if you go far enough up or down the ranks, at a certain point there aren't enough players in your skill range to populate a server

I'd like to pretend I'm underranked, but after the initial catastrophe that got me here, I have about a 50% win rate so it's probably where I'm supposed to be.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Whatever happened to that guy that was intentionally tanking his rank as Genji? Is he left playing against a cat walking across a keyboard now?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Canemacar posted:

Whatever happened to that guy that was intentionally tanking his rank as Genji? Is he left playing against a cat walking across a keyboard now?

bacontotem hanjo, not gengu

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere in the OP and I just missed it, but if I have my Xbox One account tied to my battle.net account and decide to buy the game for PC, will my experience and level and stuff carry over?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're legitimately in the 20s, that's probably about as rare on the low end as people in the 80s on the high end. if you go far enough up or down the ranks, at a certain point there aren't enough players in your skill range to populate a server

20s = 70s on the bell curve because they're working in opposite directions. So rare but not *that* rare. 21 - 30 and 71 - 79.

BlackFrost posted:

Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere in the OP and I just missed it, but if I have my Xbox One account tied to my battle.net account and decide to buy the game for PC, will my experience and level and stuff carry over?

Nope, sorry. Independent systems.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 31, 2016

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

SadisTech posted:

Nope, sorry. Independent systems.

Ah, that's a shame. Not a big deal since it's all cosmetic stuff, and it's been long enough since I've tried to do KB+M controls that starting from Level 1 would probably be a good idea anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought Blizzard didn't like it when people use the N word in chat but playing Lucio really brings out the racism from 12 year olds.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought Blizzard didn't like it when people use the N word in chat but playing Lucio really brings out the racism from 12 year olds.

I have literally never seen a single instance of ingame racism referring to Lúcio in over a hundred hours of Overwatch since release.

NB: I used to be a moderator for Heroes of Newerth. I am well acquainted with the prevalence of racist poo poo-rear end players.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Ugh, game is suddenly crashing my computer today. Have about 50 hours played and I suspect it had something to do with my old terrible card dying...is there something going on with nvidia cards?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Brannock posted:

I have literally never seen a single instance of ingame racism referring to Lúcio in over a hundred hours of Overwatch since release.

NB: I used to be a moderator for Heroes of Newerth. I am well acquainted with the prevalence of racist poo poo-rear end players.

My friend ran into some idiots who kept dropping N bombs and spraying McCree nooses over her Lucio sprays basically.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

My friend ran into some idiots who kept dropping N bombs and spraying McCree nooses over her Lucio sprays basically.

That's pretty bad. I hope you two reported these guys. That said, according to my experience they're (fortunately) an outlier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Usually when I get Lucio hate it's on Nepal: Sanctum, and because of my doots rather than his race.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Bruceski posted:

Usually when I get Lucio hate it's on Nepal: Sanctum, and because of my doots rather than his race.

preach it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Canemacar posted:

Actually there's a very small community, like 10-20 people, all doing the same thing. When you get low enough you find games where half the players in the match are hanjo or genzu and off away from the point spamming hello at each other and very rarely killing each other because the game boots you for inactivity if you don't participate in a kill roughly once every minute or two. It's a magical place.

The other night bacon and I had to leave a game because the other team's pubbies were worse than ours and we were going to win. The other team had a few guys in the lose community, one of whom was named wrstreaprNA, which I really liked. You start to recognize each other after a while.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Actually there's a very small community, like 10-20 people, all doing the same thing. When you get low enough you find games where half the players in the match are hanjo or genzu and off away from the point spamming hello at each other and very rarely killing each other because the game boots you for inactivity if you don't participate in a kill roughly once every minute or two. It's a magical place.

The other night bacon and I had to leave a game because the other team's pubbies were worse than ours and we were going to win. The other team had a few guys in the lose community, one of whom was named wrstreaprNA, which I really liked. You start to recognize each other after a while.

It seems the race to rating 1 is still on, since for like a week there's been one with rating 2 and there's a rating 3 as well.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bolivar posted:

It seems the race to rating 1 is still on, since for like a week there's been one with rating 2 and there's a rating 3 as well.

There are two rank 1 players in Korea.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

There are two rank 1 players in Korea.

Oh man, they are better at that too :911:
If anyone has links to their profiles, please post :circlefap:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Played with a guy who, I quote "I only play torb nigga, people report me every game still not banned so gently caress you". Surprisingly we lost.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Late to the party because I've been playing other games, but I think D.Va is my favorite tank now. The salt queen is real.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

keyframe posted:

Played with a guy who, I quote "I only play torb nigga, people report me every game still not banned so gently caress you". Surprisingly we lost.

I do not understand the mentality of people who only play as one character, only characters I don't really use are Zarya and Mercy, and that's cause I'm terrible with them to the point that I get no enjoyment out of playing them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody experienced problems with the audio suddenly cutting out + frame stuttering at the beginning of a match? Was never a problem before the most recent patch, but it seems to be happening to me every other game now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I have one that I favor above the rest but I can't imagine not liking and/or playing the others.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'll play anything in quick play but usually stick to what I'm best at/what I think the team needs in ranked, which leads to things being really lopsided in favor of a few specific heroes

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I hope they make the leaving penalty more severe, in comp at least. I'd back an instant 15 mins timeout. Like, if you need to leave for genuine reasons, you won't care about 15 mins. But if you just decide to bail on 11 other players because you have the shits, eat it. You're not getting another game straight up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SadisTech posted:

I hope they make the leaving penalty more severe, in comp at least. I'd back an instant 15 mins timeout. Like, if you need to leave for genuine reasons, you won't care about 15 mins. But if you just decide to bail on 11 other players because you have the shits, eat it. You're not getting another game straight up.

How is having the runs not a genuine reason?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Dat feeling when the enemy Junkrat steers his rip-tire through a KOTH objective filled with my people to find and kill just me (Zenyatta) :negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Bolivar posted:

Dat feeling when the enemy Junkrat steers his rip-tire through a KOTH objective filled with my people to find and kill just me (Zenyatta) :negative:

Well, if you were playing Mercy, I'd see the point of that :P

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
My wife and I played a quick play game last night where our team just walked right through volskaya essentially uncontested. When the match ended there were literally only two commendations awarded and they both went to us. That was a cool screenshot to capture

edit: added screenshot

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 31, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

nickhimself posted:

My wife and I played a quick play game last night where our team just walked right through volskaya essentially uncontested. When the match ended there were literally only two commendations awarded and they both went to us. That was a cool screenshot to capture

Jesus, I might have been on the opposite team. I died during their initial push on the choke, then got sniped as the opposition made their way to the second point. I didn't even make it back to point B after respawning before they capped it. On the upside, I got gold for eliminations (1).

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Love that feeling when you spy a distant teammate with mid health and zarya bubble them as they go around a corner, then get the sweet blub blub blub of energy buildup and a kill notification in the top right

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I placed into Comp at rank 54 and over about 30 games I got up to 60. I've been on a ten game losing streak and have fallen down to 57. They haven't been close games, if a game's close and fun I can say GG at the end of it and feel liek I had a good time, despite the loss. But I've been on team after team after team that's just awful. Is this match making as intended?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My comp experience was playing 6 placement matches and losing all of them because we had a leaver in the few minutes in all of them. Haven't touched it since

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Make that 11 comp games in a row in which it's been a total blow out against my team. I played 3 quick play matches and each of them no one was willing to heal or work as a team. I think I'm taking a break from this game.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I placed into Comp at rank 54 and over about 30 games I got up to 60. I've been on a ten game losing streak and have fallen down to 57. They haven't been close games, if a game's close and fun I can say GG at the end of it and feel liek I had a good time, despite the loss. But I've been on team after team after team that's just awful. Is this match making as intended?

Probability runs in streaks, friend (not really but that's how brains percieve it because humans tend to see patterns in stuff). You're on a downslope and it happens to all of us. That you can't win them all is literally what makes it a game. It'll pass.

I have anecdotally noticed also that after a win streak the game throws you a few Tough Ones in a row to see how you deal.

Andrast posted:

My comp experience was playing 6 placement matches and losing all of them because we had a leaver in the few minutes in all of them. Haven't touched it since

Yeah this is such an endemic across-the-board problem and it's keeping the comp mode from mattering much at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah this is such an endemic across-the-board problem and it's keeping the comp mode from mattering much at all.

This is why it's best to just make peace with the MMR number and treat comp solely as a way to earn gold guns.

To aid in that goal, make sure to play exclusively Zen or Dva.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

This is why it's best to just make peace with the MMR number and treat comp solely as a way to earn gold guns.

To aid in that goal, make sure to play exclusively Zen or Dva.

Or just do quick play. As a bonus you don't need to spend long as gently caress matches in Hanamura/Volskaya/Anubis.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Andrast posted:

Or just do quick play. As a bonus you don't need to spend long as gently caress matches in Hanamura/Volskaya/Anubis.

The only things I don't like about QP are that half the time people aren't interested in winning at all (fine occasionally but annoying when you have your third straight no healer/no tank team) and hero stacking. After getting used to the 1HL in comp I can't stand that aspect of quick play, aside from the 6 hero gimmicks from time to time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shadowban people who say "it's quickplay bro" to justify awful choices into a server populated by bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Pro tip for levels 40-50ish: make sure you have a ssd so you can slam pick Ana before anyone else. The switch to a useful hero after the round starts. You will notice your win percentage increase.