Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

If you beat the little Aksys Dungeon in Shiren you get a pot that teases a new Shiren in development at first and then tells you that actually they will only make a new one if this one sells well so I guess my boy Shiren is straight hosed RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please believe in my boy, Shiren.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Just wanted to add two more things: the bestiary lists every enemy you have found per region and if there's a single ? anywhere in a file it won't count as scanned, also bosses and their helpers also have to be scanned and you should use a quick battle scope instead of wasting precious turns/cp with an art/craft.

Really Pants posted:

To add to the adding: any named characters you ever fight will have their own bestiary entries, and if you fight them more than once you'll need to analyze them again.

Oh, I completely forgot about the Scopes, they're better than waiting for arts or cp-using for crafts. Dragon Vision quartz also helps.

And the practical exam giving me a new entry for the same character was actually what brought the question up in the first place, but it's good to have a confirmation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Vita means hometown
Vita means rear end? That's not very nice

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is DLC for PSP games stored in SAVEDATA, and can I just copy it over with the content manager to the Vita like the usual saves?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQXYy6Zjo4

1:50 minute long anime trailer for Demon Gazer 2. Clearly has higher budget than the original, but in turn it no longer has IA on vocals. Unacceptable.

It did in the initial reveal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIGzkDSzN8

Suspect that it's going to mostly be the usual cheesy sounding Experience music with a few extra tracks thrown in - don't expect a Gust soundtrack or anything. Doesn't sound as bad as the muzak-tastic Ray Gigant at least.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I remember reading that DG2 will let you turn the vocaloid versions of songs on/off. That may have been a fever-dream.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I remember reading that DG2 will let you turn the vocaloid versions of songs on/off. That may have been a fever-dream.

Yeah, they let you do that since the Operation Abyss games at least. The trailer above has the message "the music has the vocals set to on" at one point.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It has taken five years, but the Vita (RIP) finally has a good roguelike in Shiren.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

uiruki posted:

Yeah, they let you do that since the Operation Abyss games at least. The trailer above has the message "the music has the vocals set to on" at one point.

Hm, never knew that. I wouldn't have bothered anyway because for the most part I don't mind the music in them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stanos posted:

Hm, never knew that. I wouldn't have bothered anyway because for the most part I don't mind the music in them.

DG1's "big boss" theme is something I'm fond of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQG1Z4WRVhI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

If you beat the little Aksys Dungeon in Shiren you get a pot that teases a new Shiren in development at first and then tells you that actually they will only make a new one if this one sells well so I guess my boy Shiren is straight hosed RIP.

You have a lovely avatar

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

friends, does cold steel get...faster? i'm in my second day at Celdic and this game feels like it takes gd forever to do anything. combat animations, cutscenes...i feel like i've hardly done a thing and it's been five hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If it's anything like the earlier games, no.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

friends, does cold steel get...faster? i'm in my second day at Celdic and this game feels like it takes gd forever to do anything. combat animations, cutscenes...i feel like i've hardly done a thing and it's been five hours.

You'll probably want to skip combat animations (Start button) after seeing them a few times, but other than that and fast-forwarding through the panning shots (hold Circle) the game will stay rather slow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why would you buy a JRPG if you want a fast game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's kind of a hallmark of the Trails series to have slow starts and take their time setting the stage before the plot kicks into high gear. In TITS 1 it's chapter 2, and in TOCS it's Chapter 4 so it takes a bit longer to really get going.

That's plotwise anyway, if it's the literal speed of combat that's bothering you I don't have an answer because I've loved the combat in all 3 games so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the training house in Shiren is like whole game on its own

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

90% of my Vita play-time is in bed, an hour or so before I fall asleep. It took me a couple months to finally beat Cold Steel.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Really Pants posted:

why would you buy a JRPG if you want a fast game

there's a difference between slow (big maps, occasional cutscenes) and slow (animations you gotta skip each time, a buttload of cutscenes)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all jrpgs have a buttload of cutscenes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

all jrpgs have a buttload of cutscenes

And I'm glad

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

then maybe i'm having an issue with how they're distributed. i dunno. think i'll stick with it for the time being, but man, the battle animations......

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nah trails is a snoozefest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then maybe i'm having an issue with how they're distributed. i dunno. think i'll stick with it for the time being, but man, the battle animations......
i never thought the battle animatiosn in cold steel were that bad? They're all like 2-4 seconds long. sky was super sluggish but cold steel is pretty zippy.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

i never thought the battle animatiosn in cold steel were that bad? They're all like 2-4 seconds long. sky was super sluggish but cold steel is pretty zippy.

I never had a problem with how lengthy the battle animations were in either game. I know people who couldn't tolerate Trails in the Sky's pacing could get cheatengine to speed up the game's speed by 2 times without speeding up the audio.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trails in the sky is slow even by Jrpg standards but that was my favorite part of it. Some of the lowest stakes plotting I've ever seen, which was a nice change of pace for a video game. That said I never finished it because I got kinda bored halfway through haha

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Could be the Vita framerate making it more sluggish. I played Cold Steel on the PS3 and even that could be a bit sluggish at times so I'd imagine the Vita version would have it worse.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Endorph posted:

i'm trying to think where my bar is for this. i feel like the last JRPG i played significantly was P4G, which as i recall isn't that much better. i guess if i'm going to fight the same monsters again, i'd rather not have to see the same animations again as well. or, maybe just a command system for party members would be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beyond a certain point in Cold Steel you're probably killing every enemy on the field in one hit anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm in the last dungeon and I can confidently say that no it doesn't. it's a really slow burn

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could be the Vita framerate making it more sluggish. I played Cold Steel on the PS3 and even that could be a bit sluggish at times so I'd imagine the Vita version would have it worse.

the framerate only ever suffered for me during the school festival

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 31, 2016

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are you meant to lose this one sidequest fight in Cyber Sleuth against the Rosemon/Myotismon/BlackWarGreymon team?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cold Steel's combat is not its best moment but later on you'll just be wiping poo poo out with special moves without much of a care

In the end the main draw of the game is watching all the little personal plots unfold in the school, talk to everyone every time you're there

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

Are you meant to lose this one sidequest fight in Cyber Sleuth against the Rosemon/Myotismon/BlackWarGreymon team?

No, that one's beatable, but it's tough if you can't Texture Blow the Rosemon to stop her heals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys VIII has too much dialogue.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just picked up a cheap Vita and it is on FW 3.15. Is there any advantage to leaving it on the older firmware for homebrew? Or should I just use the new Henkaku exploit on 3.60?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just picked up a cheap Vita and it is on FW 3.15. Is there any advantage to leaving it on the older firmware for homebrew? Or should I just use the new Henkaku exploit on 3.60?

No. Homebrew is usually a waste of time anyway.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Midjack posted:

No. Homebrew is usually a waste of time anyway.

You've clearly never tinkered with a PSP. Or a Wii. Or a PS3.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MisterAlex posted:

Seriously... homebrew made the PSP go one of the best systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MisterAlex posted:

I have a pile of hacked psps. I also have a cell phone that can do everything the psps do with less hassle.