Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Coredump posted:

Yeah if you can put your pc together and run off onboard video for a while I would wait if you could. Gpu market is kinda unsettled at the moment with new releases and such. If you can't wait shopping for parts used in sa-mart had treated me well for the past several years.

Yeah, I guess I should just be patient, especially since the onboard graphics could still entertainment plenty for a little bit.

But are the other issues with my part list besides the GPU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
How precise are the case measurements for the Core 500? It says the max gpu length is 310mm and the card I'm eyeing up is 310mm...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lungboy posted:

How precise are the case measurements for the Core 500? It says the max gpu length is 310mm and the card I'm eyeing up is 310mm...

Generally the best way to find out if it fits is to see what other people say, so Google "Core 500 whatever video card." If it's a new card and no one has done that combo yet, try a similar model i.e. Asus 980 strix is probably the same length as an Asus 970 or 980ti Strix. If that fails, just check out some other builds find out how long their card is and see how much space is left, often times they will tell you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, I guess I should just be patient, especially since the onboard graphics could still entertainment plenty for a little bit.

But are the other issues with my part list besides the GPU!

Uhhh, I don't think so. Looks good at first glance.

Also, question for everyone. Given the choice between the Silverstone 600w sfx power supply and the Corsair 600w sfx power supply, which one would you go with and why?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'd like to price out a super slim, low power requirement office PC, but have no clue where to start with a case. This would be an internet/Office/very light multimedia consumption device, so I think integrated graphics will be more than enough; a single decent SSD, ~8GB RAM, and not much else would be required. What are some recommended super slim/small cases that would allow for a nice quiet build with the bare minimum components?

e; Almost forgot, good filtration is a huge plus. It's not going to be in our dusty shop, but that poo poo gets everywhere regardless.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 21, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
A fanless NUC? You get your choice of i3 - i7 on the latest model. Been deploying these at work in one off scenarios, no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC6i3SYK-BOXNUC6I3SYK-Silver-Black/dp/B018JDP590

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Lungboy posted:

I had a 308mm Sapphire R9 390 in my core 500 and the length was not an issue.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($399.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($115.55 @ Amazon)
Total: $1083.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-21 12:21 EDT-0400

I'm having a real hard time picking a case for this build.

PSU can be changed if need be; the only pick that's set in stone is the GPU. I know non-blower cards aren't ideal for mITX, but I purchased it before I was planning for this build to be small and portable (wanted to get ahead of the 1070 supply issues). So thanks to Newegg's replacement-only return policy, I'm stuck with it.

I'm looking for the smallest case that can fit that card and still achieve good enough airflow for its cooler to work. Handles are a plus, but they seem to be nonexistent these days. I'm an amateur at this, so it also needs to be not too insane to build in. Any suggestions?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 21, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I'm looking for the smallest case that can fit that card and still achieve good enough airflow for its cooler to work. Handles are a plus, but they seem to be nonexistent these days. I'm an amateur at this, so it also needs to be not too insane to build in. Any suggestions?

This one has a handle. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6htWGX/silverstone-case-sstml08bh Several people in thread have used it for their builds so it seems to get the job done. To use this case though, you will need a sfx power supply. Corsair and Silverstone are two popular choices.

Question for everyone else, with these smaller case, especially ones that use riser cards, wouldn't a blower gpu be the way to go? Most of the cases I've seen the gpu gets its own mesh window to draw cool air in from outside and then due to being a blower cooler, exhaust the air directly out the case. I realize that other cooler designs can be more efficient, but don't they tend to circulate air in the case?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 21, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bass Bottles posted:

Very close to jumping on this build. First ever PC building experience, and doing it SFF is scary, but an interesting challenge. I've watched multiple build videos on YouTube using this case, too, so I pretty much know exactly what to expect with it.

Anything stick out as a horrible idea? Or are there any better suggestions?

Also, I'm looking at something like this? for the second 2.5" drive slot, because 500gb is not going to be enough. And I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get two optional fans for the space below the GPU. The only problem is I've read that some people have had trouble fitting both the fans and the GPU stability mount at the same time, as they use the same bracket. Are there good, thin fans? And since my MOBO only has one slot for case fans, can I even install two of them?

Oh, and also, with regard to the GPU. There's a used like new GTX 970 blower style card on Amazon for $220. Seems like a good deal? I was waiting for the 1060, but that's gonna be months before I can get one in the blower style for not super expensive, right? And I'm also feeling like I'd rather use a card I've already seen other people use with similar builds. Am I being stupid?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.34 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($274.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1133.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-17 15:50 EDT-0400

Yeah, nobody should be building with a new 970 at this point. Wait for the custom 480s or 1060s.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, nobody should be building with a new 970 at this point. Wait for the custom 480s or 1060s.

My 1060 is in the mail :)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

sirbeefalot posted:

I'd like to price out a super slim, low power requirement office PC, but have no clue where to start with a case. This would be an internet/Office/very light multimedia consumption device, so I think integrated graphics will be more than enough; a single decent SSD, ~8GB RAM, and not much else would be required. What are some recommended super slim/small cases that would allow for a nice quiet build with the bare minimum components?

e; Almost forgot, good filtration is a huge plus. It's not going to be in our dusty shop, but that poo poo gets everywhere regardless.

Second recommendation for a NUC here. Tiny, silent, and more than adequate for what you're describing if you get i3+ models. Dell, Lenovo and HP all make tiny PCs too but not that tiny, and more expensive.

They aren't actually passively cooled (at least not my i3-5010U model), but the fan barely does anything unless you put it under extended load.

Note that the i3/i5/i7-H models are slightly thicker to accomodate two drives, one M.2 and one 2.5" SATA. -K models are thinner and have the 2.5" bay removed. Pentium and Celeron models (which are cheap but should only be considered if you know they'll be fast enough) only come in H models and don't have the M.2 slot.

There are actual industrial PCs out there that are NUC-like but passively cooled and sealed if you really really don't want it to get dusty, but they're definitely more expensive and I don't know much about them.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 21, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sirbeefalot posted:

You can get a Windows 10 PC that is 100% passive/fanless and runs at 5-10 watts for $99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

They are not the fastest things in the world, they are Skylake Atom processors, but we use them at our work to run digital dashboards from Chrome, show leaderboards in Excel, and some light web browsing work. As long as you understand the limitations of the 2gb RAM and 32gb flash they include, they're pretty spectacular for the price. There's a $170 model that has double the ram and flash, but it doesn't include Windows at all so you'd have to supply it yourself or run Linux.

They also make a great home PC for watching VLC and doing general media center stuff, since the Skylake chip is good enough to decode 4K HEVC.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably lean towards the NUC option. I've got a Dell Venue 8 Pro with an older Atom, 2GB of RAM and 64GB of flash storage that I use to run a little desktop CNC machine, and I wouldn't want to actually use that kind of power every day, but maybe the Skylake Atoms are way better.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

snuff posted:

I had a 308mm Sapphire R9 390 in my core 500 and the length was not an issue.

Good to know, thanks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lungboy posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Usually, if a card extends that long, the last 5mm or so is usually just shroud, and can be shaved down to fit, as the board itself is still reference length.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Though pay attention to the orientation of any power connectors on the end of the board.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

VulgarandStupid posted:

Usually, if a card extends that long, the last 5mm or so is usually just shroud, and can be shaved down to fit, as the board itself is still reference length.

Also sometimes the listed length includes the video output connectors.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've honestly never considered cutting down a graphics card to fit a case (I can understand totally removing the shroud, if its just decorative) and losing the warranty and resale value, when I could have instead chosen a different card or a fractionally larger case.

Is it really a thing?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 23, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Took the plunge and ordered an M1 and an SFX PSU to go with it.

Pricey bugger but I couldn't see anything that could beat it's mix of size and functionality.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
So I was just playing Talos Principle and got some wicked stuttering, so I checked the temps. CPU (i5-4590) was in the low-to-mid 60s, GPU (1070) was in the low 80s but the fans were still only at ~50%. I've got stock everything in my RVZ01B - stock CPU cooler and just the two stock fans that came with it.

Granted, it's been scorching hot in New England for the last few weeks and ambient temp in my house right now is 80 F. Do I need to go out and get an extra case fan for the GPU and a custom CPU cooler, or will I be fine once the daily highs drop back out of the mid-90s?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

twxabfn posted:

So I was just playing Talos Principle and got some wicked stuttering, so I checked the temps. CPU (i5-4590) was in the low-to-mid 60s, GPU (1070) was in the low 80s but the fans were still only at ~50%. I've got stock everything in my RVZ01B - stock CPU cooler and just the two stock fans that came with it.

Granted, it's been scorching hot in New England for the last few weeks and ambient temp in my house right now is 80 F. Do I need to go out and get an extra case fan for the GPU and a custom CPU cooler, or will I be fine once the daily highs drop back out of the mid-90s?

Why don't you just adjust the fan curve with a program like Afterburner?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I ordered my NCASE maybe a week ago and knew the shipping date, but I'm still goin' crazy waiting for it to get here.

I'm just going to be moving the guts of my last-gen Bitfenix Prodigy build into it so it won't be that exciting, but I'll still do a write up on PC Part Picker and post it here in 2 weeks or whenever it gets here

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What I'm waiting for is a tiny case that is 120 or 140mm radiator compatible with full size gpu support and multiple mount points for ssds and a 3.5 or two. I actually just gave up on that and just got a corsair 380T which while large, does have plenty of room and stuff lol.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why don't you just adjust the fan curve with a program like Afterburner?

I hadn't tried that yet because I've never done it before. But, isn't that a little like putting a Band-Aid over a festering wound?

I mean, if I don't have my case set up to adequately cool my components in the first place, is working my GPU fans beyond the default curve (which I have to assume was set up that way for a reason) really the right move?

Also, I was a bit more worried about the CPU temp than the GPU - I thought anything up to 85c was okay for a GPU, but I saw a couple search results that said that CPUs shouldn't spend an extended amount of time above 60c. As I understand it, the stuttering I was seeing would have been more related to CPU issues than GPU.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What I'm waiting for is a tiny case that is 120 or 140mm radiator compatible with full size gpu support and multiple mount points for ssds and a 3.5 or two. I actually just gave up on that and just got a corsair 380T which while large, does have plenty of room and stuff lol.

Uhh, depends on what you mean by "full size". For example, the Core V1 and RVZ01 would satisfy all your requirements except for the very biggest AIB cards (I know the Core V1 can fit a Gigabyte GTX1070 G1, and the RVZ01 should stretch a little farther), while being significantly smaller than the 380T.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
huh, for some reason I thought the rvz01 couldn't fit a AIO cooler... Though I wonder if it's one of those that requires a thin fan and or rad. Regardless, I didn't want to have to buy a new PSU, and I love the look of the 380t and plus I can slap a AIO on my 1070 in the future!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

twxabfn posted:

I hadn't tried that yet because I've never done it before. But, isn't that a little like putting a Band-Aid over a festering wound?

I mean, if I don't have my case set up to adequately cool my components in the first place, is working my GPU fans beyond the default curve (which I have to assume was set up that way for a reason) really the right move?

Also, I was a bit more worried about the CPU temp than the GPU - I thought anything up to 85c was okay for a GPU, but I saw a couple search results that said that CPUs shouldn't spend an extended amount of time above 60c. As I understand it, the stuttering I was seeing would have been more related to CPU issues than GPU.

All it would do is make the fans run faster at certain temperatures, which should keep your GPU cooler but make your system run a bit louder. If your GPU doesn't cool down, well, then you might have a set up that might have issues. It's also completely reversible and doesn't cost anything to try.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

huh, for some reason I thought the rvz01 couldn't fit a AIO cooler... Though I wonder if it's one of those that requires a thin fan and or rad. Regardless, I didn't want to have to buy a new PSU, and I love the look of the 380t and plus I can slap a AIO on my 1070 in the future!

The 380t is twice as big as anything I mentioned in the OP. However, the SG13b fits your description as long as full size means up to 10.5" gpu, which reference and some of the smaller 2 fan cards are.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

All it would do is make the fans run faster at certain temperatures, which should keep your GPU cooler but make your system run a bit louder. If your GPU doesn't cool down, well, then you might have a set up that might have issues. It's also completely reversible and doesn't cost anything to try.

You're right, and that's very good advice, but I didn't take it. :D

After doing a bunch of reading I decided I did want to improve my cooling setup in the RVZ01B beyond stock, so I just ordered a Noctua NH-L12. I'll take off the top fan, put it in the open case fan slot in the GPU compartment, and run things that way. A few other folks with this case have done that.

It'll be a PITA to take practically everything out of the case to install the backplate on the mobo, but hopefully I can improve on my poo poo cable management job while I'm in there (this was my first build in 10+ years, and this isn't exactly an easy case to work in).

twxabfn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 27, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The 380t is twice as big as anything I mentioned in the OP. However, the SG13b fits your description as long as full size means up to 10.5" gpu, which reference and some of the smaller 2 fan cards are.

That's what I -had- and it definitely did not fit the EVGA 1070 I got. But the 380T is a great case (and looks and feels much better than the SG13b), even if it's not a nano sized one that I'd have to buy a SFX supply for.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Finally built my NCASE M1, first time building a PC and boy was I glad this thing switched on on the first try, though it thinks I have two monitors for some raisin???

Tried to get the cables as tidy as I could. Waiting for the 2 fan EVGA GTX 1060 to get released so I could grab that, I'd get the short version but the 0rpm mode of the larger one appeals to me

I'm playng Overwatch with the on-board graphics set to low in the meantime and I thought it played ok at 58 FPS which I guess means my tolerance for lovely graphics is pretty high

i should probably find a better chair than my ikea stool/muji cushion combo

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Trip report on my upgrade project (putting a Noctua NH-L12 in an RVZ01B):

First of all, I'm typing this post on the PC in question, so I didn't break it! Hooray!

I did essentially have to take everything out except for the PSU, HDD, and top case fan. (Man, that 24 pin connector is hard to take out.) Took off the top fan from the CPU cooler and installed it with the "bend" of the heat pipes facing the side of the case. Put the extra NF-12 fan in the empty slot on the GPU compartment (closer to the rear of the case) and tried putting the GPU back, but it wasn't going in and I thought the little holder bracket might have been bumping up against the top of the new fan. So I swapped the positions of those two fans and tried again and was able to get the GPU in this time, although I think I just might have been wussing out on trying to push through the clip on the PCI-E slot. Used a few more zip ties trying to keep cables out of the way this time, I think I did a little better. They're still all crammed into the middle of the case, although in this case there's really nowhere else to put them.

Back in horizontal position on my TV stand, I gave Talos Principle a shot again and whoa. Ambient temp ~25c, essentially the same as before, the CPU never got above 50c and the GPU was holding steady around 75c. Pretty good compared to 60+/80+. But then, I actually took VulgarAndStupid's advice and turned on the default user-defined fan curve in Afterburner...and the GPU was solid in the 60s (and only even went beyond 65c when I spent five minutes straight staring at a bush that made the GPU run at 90% for some reason).

But the CPU still never went above 50c! Looks to have been a worthwhile project.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Nice. I have the same cooler in a FTZ01. It was a tough fit but it works pretty well. I used the extra fan near the GPU as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Smiles posted:

Finally built my NCASE M1, first time building a PC and boy was I glad this thing switched on on the first try, though it thinks I have two monitors for some raisin???

Which power supply did you use?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Welp, all parts on order for my M1.

Reusing my trusty 3570k with a second hand p8z77 board; a c14 cooler with GT fans and replacing my current SLI 970s with a MSI 1080 Aero that will have an Accelero strapped to it to woof heat out the bottom. :v:

Christ this better be the last computer poo poo I buy for a few years or the other half will kill me.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Coredump posted:

Which power supply did you use?

I used the Corsair SF450; I picked this over the Silverstone cause it's got a 0rpm mode and I've read the Silverstone has issues with coil whine or fan noise. So far so good, don't think I've heard the fan spin up yet, or if it has I haven't heard it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

My Fractal Node 202 case has space below the GPU for two fans blowing right on it. It also has a GPU support bumper which helps hold up the GPU. The only problem is that the bumper goes right where the fans are.

If I remove the left-side fan, I can have both the bumper and the right fan. If I leave both fans in, the GPU is only supported by the screws in the back (the I/O ports] and the "plug" part.

I hate how it just hangs over the fans like that with no support. Will I miss a lot if I remove the left fan?

My other idea was to DIY my own support somehow, like by sticking something on top of the right fan. I'm not sure what, though, or how well that would work.

Advice?

blaitarch
Nov 19, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

My Fractal Node 202 case has space below the GPU for two fans blowing right on it. It also has a GPU support bumper which helps hold up the GPU. The only problem is that the bumper goes right where the fans are.

If I remove the left-side fan, I can have both the bumper and the right fan. If I leave both fans in, the GPU is only supported by the screws in the back (the I/O ports] and the "plug" part.

I hate how it just hangs over the fans like that with no support. Will I miss a lot if I remove the left fan?

My other idea was to DIY my own support somehow, like by sticking something on top of the right fan. I'm not sure what, though, or how well that would work.

Advice?

i have that case with a gtx 970 acx. the two backplate screws plus the pcie extender are solid - i dont think the support bumper is really necessary.

you worry about this but its not terribly different from having an un-supported video card in a tower case? id leave the two fans and not worry about 'sag'

additionally, being 25mm tall fans, there isnt much room to 'sag' anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Smiles posted:

Waiting for the 2 fan EVGA GTX 1060 to get released so I could grab that, I'd get the short version but the 0rpm mode of the larger one appeals to me

eVGA released a BIOS update for the single fan model to enable 0rpm mode as well:
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1060-BIOS-Update-Single-Fan-Models-Only-m2520978.aspx