Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

comes along bort posted:

Leave it to guitarists to be too stupid to figure out how to unscrew the pickguard screws a couple turns to get the plastic all the way off.

Nah man, at this point it's like the rivets on jeans. It's there because that's what strats look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

gently caress, I gotta return this thing, want dat plastic under the screws :D

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Wengy posted:

The white PG looks better on that awesome Strat; I much prefer white / mint pickguards on classic Fender colors.

Also, making a Tele work for Jazz isn't too hard (not that I'm good enough to play Jazz, really), the neck pickup is basically made for this. Adjust tone to taste. I recorded this (yeah, it's amateurish, but I just want to illustrate what I mean) on my Suhr's neck pickup with the tone very slightly rolled down I think. I'd say it's pretty jazzy.

Not enough love for this. Really enjoyable!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Mercedes posted:

Not enough love for this. Really enjoyable!

Thanks, I really appreciate that!
Full disclosure, I stole the arrangement from this guy who's lightyears better than I'll ever be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV7_J-m3Pb0

Still was a bitch to learn, I gotta say :D

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My Ibanez S770PB is having some buzzing/noise issues when I use the middle and bridge/middle (less than middle) pickup setting. I have the guitar set up for D Standard tuning, and all other pickup switch positions are completely silent until I play. Any ideas what could be causing it? If it's a pickup issue I was planning on replacing them soonish and this might be a good excuse to do so.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mr E posted:

My Ibanez S770PB is having some buzzing/noise issues when I use the middle and bridge/middle (less than middle) pickup setting. I have the guitar set up for D Standard tuning, and all other pickup switch positions are completely silent until I play. Any ideas what could be causing it? If it's a pickup issue I was planning on replacing them soonish and this might be a good excuse to do so.

That's an HSH, isn't it? You could just be experiencing the reason the humbucker was invented - are you near anything with a strong EM field like a computer, TV, or refrigerator (or amp, for that matter)? Try moving around and facing different directions. Other possibility is that the middle pickup isn't grounding properly and you should look at the connection with the switch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After The War posted:

That's an HSH, isn't it? You could just be experiencing the reason the humbucker was invented - are you near anything with a strong EM field like a computer, TV, or refrigerator (or amp, for that matter)? Try moving around and facing different directions. Other possibility is that the middle pickup isn't grounding properly and you should look at the connection with the switch.

They're HSH, yeah. I dunno why I didn't think about the EM field from my computer, which is pretty close to where I usually play. I'll move around and see if the problem stays.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sometimes if you point a SSS strat south you can pick up mexican AM radio.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sometimes if you point a SSS strat south you can pick up mexican (woah-woah) radio.

Mexican (woah-woah) radio
Radio
Radio

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The OP suggests that some goons recommend Rondo's guitars, but not which guitars or for which price point or whatever. The Rondo website has a ton of cheap guitars and I'm guessing some are a good value and some aren't worth bothering with. Is there any kind of short answer on what to look out for on the site?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Seashell Salesman posted:

The OP suggests that some goons recommend Rondo's guitars, but not which guitars or for which price point or whatever. The Rondo website has a ton of cheap guitars and I'm guessing some are a good value and some aren't worth bothering with. Is there any kind of short answer on what to look out for on the site?

Agile and Brice

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

comes along bort posted:

Agile and Brice

Thanks!

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Anyone know of any electric guitars that are well suited for slide guitar? Basically the higher frets are super accessible. I'm well aware of the gibson sg, just wanna know my options

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
2015 Gibsons are good for slide as they have a height adjustable nut and an easily adjustable bridge. You could get a 2015 SG for pretty cheap (no one wanted the 2015s, retailers are still trying to get rid of them), set the nut and bridge sky high and you're sorted.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mercedes posted:

Anyone know of any electric guitars that are well suited for slide guitar? Basically the higher frets are super accessible. I'm well aware of the gibson sg, just wanna know my options

Just get an extension nut.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i love it when the guy at the shop i goes to tells me stories about dudes who come in with hosed up frets on their $5k gibsons and can't figure out why they're buzzing after they got drunk at their kid's wedding and tried playing slide with a mic stand

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mercedes posted:

Danelectro fuckin Long Horn

http://www.mormusic.co.uk/danelectro-longhorn-dlg58cb-electric-guitar/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CabaretVoltaire posted:

2015 Gibsons are good for slide as they have a height adjustable nut and an easily adjustable bridge. You could get a 2015 SG for pretty cheap (no one wanted the 2015s, retailers are still trying to get rid of them), set the nut and bridge sky high and you're sorted.

If you go down this route make sure you write to Gibson requesting a Titanium zero fret nut as they will give you one for free to replace the lovely soft brass one that will wear down in a matter of months

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've been thinking about picking up a cheap Stratocaster and then modding it.

What's a nice cheap Strat to use as a base to mod?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Depends on what you like. Upper range squiers are nice, and I like the necks and frets on the LTD ST-213s or whatever they have out right now. Some even come with floyds.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

muike posted:

Depends on what you like. Upper range squiers are nice, and I like the necks and frets on the LTD ST-213s or whatever they have out right now. Some even come with floyds.

Thanks i'll look into the LTD, i've always secretly wanted a shredder guitar.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why were SG 2015's unwanted?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Define cheap. The SGs I've found go for around a grand

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Mr E posted:

Probably the same reasons as the LPs, price hike and lukewarm reception to new features.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Dear Lord that is one ugly looking guitar

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Probably the same reasons as the LPs, price hike and lukewarm reception to new features.

Makes sense, I remember hearing they had gone down in amount of choice while changing the old style pretty drastically.

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Schecter C-1 maybe and my Ibanez S771PB for sure. I know that the EMG 81/85s are recommended for metal/heavier stuff usually - what Seymour Duncan pickups should I look at for the bride and neck, though? Just trying to look at all my choices right now.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Milosh posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a cheap Stratocaster and then modding it.

What's a nice cheap Strat to use as a base to mod?

Honestly my buddy picks up Bullets, gives them a good setup, throws in some mods, and they're some of the best playing strats you could ever ask for. I know this thread hates bullets, but unless you get one that actually has something really wrong with it, they're solid modding guitars if you're good at setups.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003

Mercedes posted:

Define cheap. The SGs I've found go for around a grand

If you go to a shop that has a 2015 for a grand offer them 500. Offer them 300. And then ask Gibson for a titanium nut.

People are still asking for real money just in case anyone is daft enough to pay it but they're seriously desperate to get rid of 2015s.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003

Mr E posted:

Geforce autotuners is probably the main reason. All 2015s had the autotune and it is really poo poo. It's cool to watch it the first few times but it really is poo poo and doesn't work very well.
The brass nut is height adjustable which is cool but it wears out really quickly, quick enough that probably any 2015 in a shop that people have had a go on is probably hosed already and won't stay in tune. The necks are really wide which a lot of people find uncomfortable.

There's also a bunch of cosmetic things like there's a hologram of Les Paul waving on the back of the neck and they got rid of the iconic "Les Paul" signature and replaced it with an ugly "Les Paul 100" signature. They put the "Les Paul 100" on SGs too.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Mr E posted:

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Schecter C-1 maybe and my Ibanez S771PB for sure. I know that the EMG 81/85s are recommended for metal/heavier stuff usually - what Seymour Duncan pickups should I look at for the bride and neck, though? Just trying to look at all my choices right now.

I've actually got a Schecter C-1 that I bought during high school that has been served well with a Dimebucker in the bridge and a Jazz pickup in the neck position. It's a bit of a weird sounding combination when you write it out like this, but I love the wide variety of tones I can coax out of the thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mr E posted:

Makes sense, I remember hearing they had gone down in amount of choice while changing the old style pretty drastically.

Depends on how heavy you want to go, really. You can hit the 80s tone solidly well with the JB/Jazz setup that is classic, you can go all the way up to something crazy like Black Winters or anywhere in between.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hedningen posted:

I've actually got a Schecter C-1 that I bought during high school that has been served well with a Dimebucker in the bridge and a Jazz pickup in the neck position. It's a bit of a weird sounding combination when you write it out like this, but I love the wide variety of tones I can coax out of the thing.

I'm thinking a Dimebucker in the bridge and something different like a Jazz or the like in neck might actually be perfect for what I play on my C-1. I pretty much stick to really heavy stuff on my Ibanez so I'll check out Black Winter demos and compare against the 81/85 set I was looking at for that. Thanks as usual, awesome thread.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fullroundaction posted:

Honestly my buddy picks up Bullets, gives them a good setup, throws in some mods, and they're some of the best playing strats you could ever ask for. I know this thread hates bullets, but unless you get one that actually has something really wrong with it, they're solid modding guitars if you're good at setups.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I have been goofing off recording stuff in the trial version of Reaper, and am having fun with it. Enough so that I am going to continue doing this for awhile, so it's time to buy. But what to buy! I'm torn between Reaper (since I've used it for a bit now and like it) + EZDrummer 2 on on hand, or Logic Pro X with the built in drummer dealie. Cost-wise they are about the same, so that's not a factor. Has anyone used both enough to recommend one over the other? Both seem like good options, so I don't think I'll be upset either way, but I'd love to hear form those of you who know a lot more than I.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've had both and it's really up to your style of doing things. I like to lay down ideas quickly, put them out, and move on (with minimal tweaking). If that sounds like you, logic with drummer is unbeatable. If you want more control and like to really get granular with your beats and fills, go reaper / EZ. Either way you can't go wrong.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The other guitarist in my band has informed me the local Cash Converters has an Ibanez with EMGs in it for 80 quid. He said as soon as he saw the pickups he had to step back as he's vowed not to buy any more guitars for now so no more deets other than that. Its my civic duty to check this out and probably get it, right?

It would be my third guitar acquired this year (one bought, one traded) and also my third ibanez. Do i need to book an appointment with Dr Faustus? Did he find a cure for Ibanitus?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The pickups alone are worth that price so I can't imagine you'd fare too poorly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Might buy a VM 70s Strat + Sinners this week or some other cool pickups like SD YJMs. I need a Strat and even though I've heard the hardware on those is a little weak you can't really beat black/black maple neck and a big headstock. They're beautiful.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

Might buy a VM 70s Strat + Sinners this week or some other cool pickups like SD YJMs. I need a Strat and even though I've heard the hardware on those is a little weak you can't really beat black/black maple neck and a big headstock. They're beautiful.
hah, I was looking at Sinners last night, but I should probably wait until I'm in a place where I know I can use single coils without infinite interference before I pull the trigger on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As an American I fully support brexit as it has proven itself to be very successful in making great pickups affordable again.