Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

This map looks extremely generous to the territory of Romansh speakers. Is it like "three guys in this German-speaking village studied Romansh in high school so it is a Romansh-speaking region."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Bloodnose posted:

This map looks extremely generous to the territory of Romansh speakers. Is it like "three guys in this German-speaking village studied Romansh in high school so it is a Romansh-speaking region."

Count the cities there, and you'll discover your answer.

e: I think the largest town there is like, 5k people.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloodnose posted:

Check out this map -

It claims that blue areas were majority-Rhomansh in 2000. Either it is wrong, or it has some strange definition of majority, because I can't see this being congruous with the figure of 60,000 regular Rhomansh speakers.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The entire Cantons population is 200k, hope that helps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Schizotek posted:

The entire Cantons population is 200k, hope that helps.

That's still >100k people for a language with 60k speakers :colbert:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

that's an ugly loving map

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

That's still >100k people for a language with 60k speakers :colbert:

Greater than 50% of about half the canton is definitely not over 100k if the canton's 200k

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Kurtofan posted:

The Turds of Iberia

Sexs

edit: more seriously, the original inhabitants of Corsica were celtiberians, before the population was hosed by Romans and their diseases.

I thought the pre-Roman inhabitants of Corsica were Ligurian, not Celtiberian. Ancient sources generally affiliate the Corsi with the Ligures, whose language and culture were themselves heavily influenced by Celtic, but also by Italic and other cultures south and east of them.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

for real though it is pretty shameful that Spain didn't get rid of their monarch considering the only reason he exists still is Franco. loving Italy got rid of theirs, if they can do it you can do it

Also the purple Republican flag is much cooler and they should bring it back

This makes it kinda worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Kzbo7tNLg

Here's a map:

Just a question for anyone who knows. I'm assuming Europe left Liberia alone because of the U.S., did the U.S. have a representative at the Berlin conference or put out a statement that said "hands off Liberia"?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Here's a map:

Just a question for anyone who knows. I'm assuming Europe left Liberia alone because of the U.S., did the U.S. have a representative at the Berlin conference or put out a statement that said "hands off Liberia"?

That map's inaccurate, Mauritania was French and Western Sahara was Spanish

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ah yes the "what does it sound like" school of linguistics.

The most important school of linguistics.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Sin of Onan posted:

I thought the pre-Roman inhabitants of Corsica were Ligurian, not Celtiberian. Ancient sources generally affiliate the Corsi with the Ligures, whose language and culture were themselves heavily influenced by Celtic, but also by Italic and other cultures south and east of them.

I read that in a book a while ago, I don't remember anything about Ligurians but I may just have forgotten.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What if all these tribes are made up? Some bored roman trying to have something cool to share in parties.

It you ask me, removing the tribes culture is one of the best thing that happend to western europe. gently caress tribes and tribal culture.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ego-bot posted:

Liberia's history also meant that any attempted colonization by a European nation would have been particularly morally repulsive, even within the context of Imperialism within Africa. Besides it wasn't big or useful enough for anyone to risk the notoriety of colonizing the place.

I think they sliced bits off the edges regardless.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

for real though it is pretty shameful that Spain didn't get rid of their monarch considering the only reason he exists still is Franco. loving Italy got rid of theirs, if they can do it you can do it

Also the purple Republican flag is much cooler and they should bring it back

I am a republican myself and I think few people in general would be sad to see Belgium's laughably dysfunctional royal family go, but it's always seemed to me that the Spanish king is quite popular in his country and they have no desire to get rid of him.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tei posted:

What if all these tribes are made up? Some bored roman trying to have something cool to share in parties.

It you ask me, removing the tribes culture is one of the best thing that happend to western europe. gently caress tribes and tribal culture.

What exactly do you know about pre-roman iberian culture

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's just a big fan of feudalism, don't judge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tei posted:

Romans were literally a tribe too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fishmech posted:

They were really good at stabbing though, even if that was their single advantage over their opponents.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Phlegmish posted:

I am a republican myself and I think few people in general would be sad to see Belgium's laughably dysfunctional royal family go, but it's always seemed to me that the Spanish king is quite popular in his country and they have no desire to get rid of him.

The Spanish royal family much like the Thai and Cambodian royal family just seems to need to exist for the country to work.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's no reason for Spain to work. Catalunya should've been independent aeons ago, the Basques too, then we can let the Castilians work out whatever the gently caress it is that they want.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a hardline seeing the basque as independent unless they gain something from France.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Liberia's history also meant that any attempted colonization by a European nation would have been particularly morally repulsive, even within the context of Imperialism within Africa. Besides it wasn't big or useful enough for anyone to risk the notoriety of colonizing the place.

I think they sliced bits off the edges regardless.

Yes it lost some territory but that was because the Liberian government sold quite a bit of its territory to the neighbouring colonies. The migrant black community which became the Liberian ruling class had extreme difficulties controlling the local African population so it just cut its losses by giving up problem areas to European colonies to deal with instead.

Early in the 1930's when Britain was negotiating with Hitler, Neville Chamberlain suggested that since Germany wanted new colonies he could invade Liberia since it was up for grabs and Mussolini was already claiming Abyssinia.

Oh and the US did have a representative at the Berlin Conference, as did the Hapsburg Empire, the Russian Empire and the Union of Norway and Sweden.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They were really good at stabbing though, even if that was their single advantage over their opponents.

They where pragmatical people and rational. They made a lot of awesome stuff, like a good law system we appreciate even today (after 2000+ years).
They where not just good at killing... I think.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

e: wait, my reading comprehension sucks apparently

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

fishmech posted:

Romans actually had over 30 tribes within their tribal confederation, who remained an important part of their voting system until the emperors appeared.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

Here's a map:

i'm the belgium used as a demonym

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TheBalor posted:

Romans actually had over 30 tribes within their tribal confederation, who remained an important part of their voting system until the emperors appeared.

Did senators represent constituencies?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I visited a guinea ecuatorial internet forum once (the only african country where some people speak spanish).

It was weird / cool internet adventure. The most hilarious thing is.... Spanish are very critical of Spain, we are always criticing Spain. So these guinea dudes, the more they where critical of Spain (and they had something to say randomly) the more they look like somebody from the peninsula.

I think in one generation all of them will talk english, or french, or a tribal language. Is much more practical than spanish for them. Like.. nobody in the Philippines speak spain anymore :D

I am tryiing to get Florida tranfered to us, If USA don't want it anymore. Can we have Florida back?

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 31, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Didn't Romans sometimes give unrelated and geographically distant tribes the same name because one reminded them of the other?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tei posted:

I visited a gabon internet forum once (the only african country where some people speak spanish).

It was weird / cool internet adventure. The most hilarious thing is.... Spanish are very critical of Spain, we are always criticing Spain. So these Gabon dudes, the more they where critical of Spain (and they had something to say randomly) the more they look like somebody from the peninsula.

I think in one generation all of them will talk english, or french, or a tribal language. Is much more practical than spanish for them. Like.. nobody in the Philippines speak spain anymore :D

I am tryiing to get Florida tranfered to us, If USA don't want it anymore. Can we have Florida back?

You probably mean Equatorial Guinea, but hey, these tribals, you know, who cares

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ras Het posted:

You probably mean Equatorial Guinea

You are right, has always.

Maybe it was this one:
http://foroguineoecuatorian.mforos.com/1385814-subforo-principal/

Cool guys :D

(random video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGoDCNLr_DI

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 31, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Didn't Romans sometimes give unrelated and geographically distant tribes the same name because one reminded them of the other?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Not in the modern sense no. They were appointed by the King, then the Consul's (who were elected in a very strange form of electoral college tied to wealth and social position) and then the Emperors. Though many were chosen because they had the ear of some group of people, but that could mean they were useful to the ruler as a pacifier instead of a representative.

The plebs were supposed to be represented by the Plebeian assembly and the Plebian Tribune who officially was an important check on the power of the Roman nobility, but that depended heavily on the circumstances. Usually though when the Plebs were allowed to decide things for themselves they did so through a type of referendum or poll. The old term for a referendum is Plebiscite after all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Related:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 31, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Nope. Senators were not elected, they were appointed by the Consul for life. The Senate was not a lawmaking body either, it was closer to the supreme court. It had the power to interpret laws and to veto actions taken by the executive

The actual representative legislative body of the Roman Republic was hilariously complicated, there were originally entirely separate bodies for plebians and patricians, then another one for the military

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 1, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

I have a hardline seeing the basque as independent unless they gain something from France.

~90% of Navarre and Basque Country is Spanish, there's no absolute need for France to give up their slice. And the chance of France doing that is essentially zero, what with France's nationalist territorial integrity obsession

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 31, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard the French let the ETA operate freely in France since they primarily used their bases in France as a safe-haven when things got heated and would very seldom actually do any terroristing in France itself as not to risk bringing unneeded attention to their hideouts. The French knew this and did therefore not take any action against the ETA since it wasn't really their problem what they did in Spain and it was best not to rock the boat. That is to say until the Spanish convinced them to help and a lot of ETA members were arrested in France.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

icantfindaname posted:

~90% of Navarre and Basque Country is Spanish, there's no absolute need for France to give up their slice. And the chance of France doing that is essentially zero, what with France's nationalist territorial integrity obsession
I'm unconvinced about how much integrity French nationalists have, territorial or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm unconvinced about how much integrity French nationalists have, territorial or otherwise.

Well, territorially France is substantially less federalist than Spain, and in language policy has barely moved beyond actively trying to exterminate minority languages. Catalonia and the Basques have a pretty sweet deal compared to Bretons or Alsatian Germans