Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

So if the EG stuff is true, Breath of the Wild is probably going to be the most technologically impressive game we see on the system ever, and may look and play worse than the Wii U version.

I don't like this.

'Nintendo might get their 10 year old games running on it'. Good sign.

please don't troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Giant bomb was saying that vulkan has helped n64 emulation in a big way but didnt give details

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Giant bomb was saying that vulkan has helped n64 emulation in a big way but didnt give details
It's kinda complicated to explain and the GB guys aren't big tech dudes is why, basically Vulcan is making it easier to do lower level emulation which means better accuracy instead of having to pile weird game specific hacks on top of high level emulation like we've been doing.

It'll still take a while to get to a good place but good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just want someone to make the Ratchet and Clank games emulatable, apparently they are horrible nightmares.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

japtor posted:

How about Saturn?

I have had better luck, personally, emulating Saturn games than N64 ones. This is a Very Good Thing in my book as, though I don't own an N64, almost all of the games that I really fancy are available via modern digital means. I still own a functional Saturn, but very few of those games have ever been reproduced and I'm not paying $400+ for Mega Man 8.

Mind you, that's a 2d sprite-based game and may well be easier to emulate than, say, Nights into Dreams.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

Digital Foundry still trying to milk anything with the NX on the name, now compares how Gamecube/Wii emulation works on Tegra X1 so we have a basis of comparison if NX will be able to run those in its VC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdHM8AIhvw

This is using the Dolphin emulator on Android. Android adds some overhead, Dolphin is of course not 100% accurate, and the Shield Tablet isn't using Vulkan. And yet, framerates are close enough that taking those three things out of the equation, Nintendo could pull it off with proper accuracy if they thrown enough M2 wizards at it.

I have a strong hunch that Wii VC stuff, if it's available at all, would only be available with the NX at home rather than on the go. I couldn't imagine Nintendo approving a product that requires you to point a Wiimote at a...maybe 7 inch screen. Gamecube, though, is fully believable...if the NX has analog triggers.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I have a strong hunch that Wii VC stuff, if it's available at all, would only be available with the NX at home rather than on the go. I couldn't imagine Nintendo approving a product that requires you to point a Wiimote at a...maybe 7 inch screen. Gamecube, though, is fully believable...if the NX has analog triggers.

Oh god Nintendo is going to restrict certain things to TV/mobile only even though there's no goddamned good reason to aren't they :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Patter Song posted:

I could imagine if the scroll wheel shoulder buttons go through, they could replace the analog triggers for a lot of games, and ZL and ZR could function like the Z button. Scroll to increase water pressure and click to blast, in Mario Sunshine, for example, though I don't know how that'd translate to something like Melee.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Oh god Nintendo is going to restrict certain things to TV/mobile only even though there's no goddamned good reason to aren't they :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

I think there's the possibility that the handheld is passively cooled, but when you hook it up to a base connected to your tv it can overclock and be actively cooled.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

If you were hoping that Nintendo would make a normal console free of stupid gimmicks at this point in the company's history I'm not sure what to tell you.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Social Media posted:

If you were hoping that Nintendo would make a normal console free of stupid gimmicks at this point in the company's history I'm not sure what to tell you.

Oh I totally expect obnoxious poo poo from Nintendo that's why I just realized they're totally going to pull this poo poo and it's going to be the loving worst. Don't get your hopes up for playing pokemans on your TV.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Boten Anna posted:

Oh I totally expect obnoxious poo poo from Nintendo that's why I just realized they're totally going to pull this poo poo and it's going to be the loving worst. Don't get your hopes up for playing pokemans on your TV.

They're not going to make another DS, no mobile Pokemon will be an actual game, and they're not going to stop printing money with that series. The 3DS is gonna get dropped just like the GBA.

Though it would be funny if Nintendo prevented Pokemon from working while the system was in docked mode just because.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

if they did it for no reason on big games it would propably be hacked and filled with homebrew as soon as possible to circumvent that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo's not going to do that. Anything that works in handheld is going to work in docked mode. I think it's possible some things may be exclusive to docked mode because it will be more powerful, but even then it will probably just be extra features

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

e: ^^ I hope y'all are right but I've been burned giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt many, many times before

Soul Glo posted:

They're not going to make another DS, no mobile Pokemon will be an actual game, and they're not going to stop printing money with that series. The 3DS is gonna get dropped just like the GBA.

Though it would be funny if Nintendo prevented Pokemon from working while the system was in docked mode just because.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they're totally going to not let you play Pokemon docked because gently caress you.

I mean I could see certain games requiring so much horsepower or even some kind of coprocessor in the dock (that thing where it does some kind of cluster computing function is still floating around after all) that they can ONLY be played docked and for admittedly sound technical reasons, but I will not be shocked if Nintendo restricts your ability to play certain games docked for no good reason other than they still want to pretend there's a line between mobile and console.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Boten Anna posted:

e: ^^ I hope y'all are right but I've been burned giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt many, many times before

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they're totally going to not let you play Pokemon docked because gently caress you.

I mean I could see certain games requiring so much horsepower or even some kind of coprocessor in the dock (that thing where it does some kind of cluster computing function is still floating around after all) that they can ONLY be played docked and for admittedly sound technical reasons, but I will not be shocked if Nintendo restricts your ability to play certain games docked for no good reason other than they still want to pretend there's a line between mobile and console.

drat it nintendo is doomed! i knew it!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Making it impossible to play Pokemon while docked is good actually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

The whole point of this system is to eliminate that line. They aren't going to put up a huge sign saying "Please oh please hack our poo poo"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

The whole point of this system is to eliminate that line. They aren't going to put up a huge sign saying "Please oh please hack our poo poo"

greatn please, I know that you, too, are a Nintendo fan. I hope they don't do this poo poo, but until it's absolutely confirmed that they won't, I'm not going to assume they won't. Because Nintendo.

whaley posted:

drat it nintendo is doomed! i knew it!!!

Nintendo fans know that Nintendo isn't doomed, we just suffer in silence, as far a silence means loudly complaining on the internet while Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo immediately before putting in another order for 20 amiibos and preordering the latest Zelda spinoff.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Boten Anna posted:

All the bad consoles Nintendo made, such as

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wiiu has great games but using it is pretty bad
Virtual boy i guess is the one real answer

Hon mention:
Original gba was tough to see
Original ds was so fugly it hurt
Original 3ds is uncomfy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

greatn please, I know that you, too, are a Nintendo fan. I hope they don't do this poo poo, but until it's absolutely confirmed that they won't, I'm not going to assume they won't. Because Nintendo.

Nintendo fans know that Nintendo isn't doomed, we just suffer in silence, as far a silence means loudly complaining on the internet while Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo immediately before putting in another order for 20 amiibos and preordering the latest Zelda spinoff.

Nintendo doesn't do anything without a reason, even if it's a bad reason. But the only conceivable reason a handheld game wouldn't work on console would be if it had touch controls.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
What will the TVii of the NX be? What release trailer features will end up being cut or underutilized? This is the real question I want an answer to!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hard to say anything about that when all we have is rumors about the hardware.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I can't imagine Wii Virtual Console in the handheld mode, barring Classic Controller games that can be done like the Classic Controller ->Gamepad thing that exists already for those games on the Wii U.

I think Wii VC would be one of several "docked only" functionalities, if it even exists (I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's dropped). I doubt there'd be many "undocked only" features except stuff like whatever replaces Streetpass and touchscreen stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And we gotta remember these are more specifically rumors about the hardware dev kit, which in Nintendo tradition a remitting like the actual hardware, especially portables. The WiiU game pad dev kit was a huge sheet metal box with an actively cooling fan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Wii, in terms of functionality, is a car crash.

If you can say Skyward Sword felt good to play with a straight face, you're a madman. The Mario Galaxy games were the closest the console came to utilising its nonsense in a natural feeling way, and it was a step away from ditching it completely. I was so bummed when the Wii U re-releases still required the Wiimote.

The Wii U was a great console that just needed a few more killer games to be viable. A full scale Metroid and Mario would've gone a long way.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 31, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm not saying THIS CONSOLE ARE BAD, I'm saying I love their crap overall but they do little detail things that are obnoxious as poo poo. Like the harrowing experiences I had moving to the New 3DS or when I had mysterious hard drive issues with my Wii U or the fact that NNIDs are tied to hardware and if your 3DS falls in a trash compactor or something you can't just like go buy a new one, log in, and go for it, or that I can't remove my obnoxious ex-roommate's Mii from my Wii U without wiping the console and losing all my save games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Boten Anna posted:

There are perfectly good reasons to restrict things to one or the other. But Nintendo will certainly invent bad reasons to do so as well, yes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm posting this here too because it's very nice.

Kirby has his own cafe in Japan- and it's getting a soundtrack!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Steve2911 posted:

The Wii, in terms of functionality, is a car crash.

If you can say Skyward Sword felt good to play with a straight face, you're a madman. The Mario Galaxy games were the closest the console came to utilising its nonsense in a natural feeling way, and it was a step away from ditching it completely. I was so bummed when the Wii U re-releases still required the Wiimote.

The Wii U was a great console that just needed a few more killer games to be viable. A full scale Metroid and Mario would've gone a long way.

look at how wrong this post is. skyward sword was a lot of fun and i loved swinging the sword in meatspace

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blazing Zero posted:

look at how wrong this post is. skyward sword was a lot of fun and i loved swinging the sword in meatspace

flapping sucked, bomb rolling sucked, skyward swording didn't recognize you were trying to do it all the time and that sucked. skyward sword is a bad zelda but its cool to still like it anyway...if you suck

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Real hurthling! posted:

flapping sucked, bomb rolling sucked, skyward swording didn't recognize you were trying to do it all the time and that sucked. skyward sword is a bad zelda but its cool to still like it anyway...if you suck

skyward sword is the best zelda behind the number one: link's awakening

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

links awakening is good.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wii was a bad console because games were constrained by Waggle and not having HDMI made it looks like poo poo on most TVs. Also if you bought a day1 console then you needed to buy Waggle2.0 controller to play games after a certain point in time.

WiiU is a bad console because games are constrained by iPad controller. If every game supported the GCN adaptor I would be fine with it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 1, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Boten Anna posted:

I'm not saying THIS CONSOLE ARE BAD, I'm saying I love their crap overall but they do little detail things that are obnoxious as poo poo. Like the harrowing experiences I had moving to the New 3DS or when I had mysterious hard drive issues with my Wii U or the fact that NNIDs are tied to hardware and if your 3DS falls in a trash compactor or something you can't just like go buy a new one, log in, and go for it, or that I can't remove my obnoxious ex-roommate's Mii from my Wii U without wiping the console and losing all my save games.

I'll give you the NNID thing. As far as I can tell NNIDs are a lot easier to manage these days (they managed to get mine off of a Wii U when I didn't have access to it or its serial number over the phone), and in my experience the support staff at NoA were extremely good.

The Wii was an unqualified success, sorry waggle haters. Skyward Sword was my least favorite Zelda for a variety of reasons, but that game has by far the least responsive controls of any game I've played on the Wii. It's certainly not representative of the Wiimote experience.

The Wii U needed more games, but there are some absolute gems in that library and will defend the Gamepad to the death.

~Coxy posted:

Also if you bought a day1 console then you needed to buy Waggle2.0 controller to play games after a certain point in time.

Only six games actually required this

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 1, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wii u system user experience feels really half baked though and some hardware descisions are anti player like the hdd. games are good can't deny. miiverse is one of the funniest things ever

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Real hurthling! posted:

It's a flawed Zelda for sure but the motion controls are really good when they work. There is no such thing as a Bad Zelda except for Twilight Princess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cat town, yeti mansion and 2 generations late answer to ffvii snow boarding mini game save tp from its horrid opening hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Did you dudes ever play de Blob? I loving loved that game. The way the music would get more complex and jaunty as you painted the levels was fantastic.

• Locked thread