Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
++OATH COMPLETE++

Claiming lifes a beach for all dem water effects and would july'd to make some scenery m'lord because that's some scenery. Hope it counts for epic- two different complete sets for my 4x4 table!

Battle reports!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248082&perpage=40&pagenumber=239#post462687926

editing in oath posts:

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I, tallkidwithglasses, oath to turn this spackle and water effects and tiny bridges into a tabletops worth of 6mm scale streams and rivers

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Oath addition! I tallkidwithglasses oath to paint this ironclad and fort too.

If I'm making all these drat rivers I might as well have stuff to fight on them with.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I won't be able to complete my oath this month; my can of primer ran out and I can't get another until Wednesday, which will be in August. But here are the miniatures I did manage to get done:

I had a lot of fun painting these guys, and I'm looking forward to next month!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GoodBee posted:

You didn't paint the cat.

Also, my brain tried to process those blood splatters as tiny kitten footprints.

Note to self: get red paint, set up near cat

Endman posted:

I won't be able to complete my oath this month; my can of primer ran out and I can't get another until Wednesday, which will be in August. But here are the miniatures I did manage to get done:

Batch painting, yo. These guys look dope but you'd probably get a playable force sooner if you were doing more batch work. At the very least you could batch prime them together if you're not already.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

SRM posted:

Note to self: get red paint, set up near cat

Batch painting, yo. These guys look dope but you'd probably get a playable force sooner if you were doing more batch work. At the very least you could batch prime them together if you're not already.

Batch painting is a destroyer of souls. The gain in efficiency isn't worth it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mugaaz posted:

Batch painting is a destroyer of souls. The gain in efficiency isn't worth it.

It's necessary if you want to get an army out. To a certain point it's totally worth it. Batches of 5 or 10 guys are definitely doable. Earlier this month I did a batch of 20 Empire Crossbowmen and I wanted to slit my wrists though, that was the worst.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm not a huge fan of batch painting. I paint to relax, and I enjoy the process of painting an individual thing from start to finish.

I should absolutely prime everything at once though. At least then I would have noticed the can was almost empty.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I, Thundercloud, oath an Isorian Phase Trooper for Gates of Antares from Warlord Games in 28mm scale.

Test scheme for my Isorian force,

If I like it, and I'll try and make it quick to paint, I'll try and get an entire force done in the first two weeks of August as I have time off.

I've been too disorganised and ill, I need to get some stuff painted.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: 25 hours remaining! Best get painting and taking pics folks! :siren:

Endman posted:

Those guys are looking great!

What colour are you priming? From experience, GW plastics can generally be hand-primed with black or white fairly well without much risk of the paint scratching or coming off later.

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

plaz posted:

I, plaz, oath 6 Hellbats from Shadows of Brimstone (Flying Frog Productions)

Oath complete

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

plaz posted:

Oath complete

Looking good but get some names on those completion pics to get credit ;)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

SRM posted:

It's necessary if you want to get an army out. To a certain point it's totally worth it. Batches of 5 or 10 guys are definitely doable. Earlier this month I did a batch of 20 Empire Crossbowmen and I wanted to slit my wrists though, that was the worst.

I batch paint for 4-5 different systems / armies at a time, all the benefits of batch painting without the soul crushing repetitiveness of batch painting. Naturally, it still means it takes forever to get an army painted up.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath this Fu-Leng Devourer, from Wrath of Kings by CMON for July

'Tis merely the calm before the dwarves...

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Addition! 8 Berserker Brock Riders, by Mantic

Oath Complete!

On the subject of batch painting, I've found around 8 at a time to be my limit. Conveniently this is the KoW preferred model count for infantry (plus one), so it helps to break down the painting troop-by-troop.

And I'd like to claim a cheeky theme challenge for my Fu Lung, being as it is, after all a river dragon.

(Really proud of the iridescent effect - no metallics or actual iridescent medium used).

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Oath Complete

No theme this month, I would like to claim box art for the scheme being taken from the album cover.

I am pleased I opted to take the time as I found the detail quite a challenge. I listened to the album quite a lot initially. Now it's like a Pavlovian response that when I even look at this model I get the opening riff of "caught somewhere in time" in my head.

I am agog by the iridescence achieved on the river dragon LazyA. That is just excellent!

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
Oath Complete!
Really had hoped to get more done, but life is busy and all that poo poo. Still, here is a submission for the Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?, the GW crashed Aquila Lander, and Cities of Death Urban Barricades:

Running theme for me here, I'll see about getting better pictures up when I can, but don't want to miss the Oath deadline!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Claiming theme, as this guy is a corsair leader. Also wears an octopus helmet.

And here are a bunch of terrain for Would July-ke some terrain.

And here's picture time of some of the terrain being used in a KoW game recently

I'd say that's an Epic amount of terrain, pretty much half a kickstarter of terrain and two hills, enough to make an entire hillfort, or defense line, or whatever battlements you might need.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Oath Complete!

Bit touch and go if I would get this done, and I'm not content that there isn't more to be done. But whatever, good enough!

I put my orcs from a couple of months back there for scale, and a couple of WIP in there for good measure.

Claiming the theme for the water butt (lol). First time doing liquid, and I'm pleased by how it came out. Also claiming Would July-ke to paint some terrain obviously. I'm hoping the fact that it's 100% scratch build could as epic, the largest pre-manufactured piece is actually the bit of foam core that makes up the base.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Oath completed.

Claiming Speed Painting.

Test scheme for Isorians. I like it but I've found out how messy everything looks in extreme close up.

I'll be painting a whole army of these next month.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Oath complete!

Under 24 hours, too.

Original:

Model with time proof:

Actual half-decent picture of model:

Speed painting claimed, even if most of it was the base. I feel like I'm cheating, but it was a test case for where details are on the models and to try out the purples... and my Bloodbowl team needs a lone lineman.

Should be more interesting next month.

Also, the new GW Shattered Dominion bases are preeeeeetty cool.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Claiming Life's a beach for the water effects in the swampy bases.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: OK folks, 13 hours remain for your Oath Completions! (and last minute Oaths too I guess) :siren:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
OATH COMPLETE

Tagging the Box Art and #SquadGoals (here, here).

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 31, 2016

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking good but get some names on those completion pics to get credit ;)

Gah, thank you :)

Let's try that again!

plaz posted:

I, plaz, oath 6 Hellbats from Shadows of Brimstone (Flying Frog Productions)

Oath complete!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

Barely made it this month, time flies I guess. I would have liked to experiment more with weathering liquids and was hoping to oath addition a fountain set for water effects but oh well.

Claiming Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord? as I'm pretty sure there is teerain in here, along with Picture time for the battle scene and I'll push my luck for Epic given that I can fill a fair chunk of a 3x3 table here. But other people are clearly going more epic than me so whatever Germ thinks is fine by me!

Thanks for running this challenge BTW Germ.

First up then, my walls & gates:

Then my subway entrance:

And the rooftop access:

Then last but definitely not least, my theatre:

If you are wondering what 'Mefistofele' is, it was the opera featured in Batman Begins that scared lil' Brucie so much that the Waynes left the theatre early...

And to put it all together, a quickly mocked up Batman scene using past oaths including my gaudy statues.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 31, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath one US Ariadna Devil Dog Team, for Corvus Belli's Infinity (28mm scale, although this is a 40mm model, I think)

This picture is old and my oath is actually done, but I gotta wait for my real camera to charge up. So here's this in the interim.

Oath Complete!

MARPAT turned out pretty decent, but I needed to push the werewolf's color harder. Kinda blends in with the pants as is. Oh well, I'll unfuck it later.

Claiming July Theme Challenge, because this guy and his pet are straight up space US Marines, up to and including using the anchor and globe on their unit logo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am happy to say Oath Complete, despite a trip to the in-laws this month.

I am also claiming Box Art for this, as I did my best to copy the display job on reaper's site. My skills aren't quite up to par, so I fell short on several aspects, most notably the use marks on the sword and the woodgrain. :( I feel pretty good about the bone and the coat though, so there's that.

Also, as a pirate, I assume the Captain qualifies for the monthly theme of being water-themed.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete

This months theme for me is rust. Lots of stuff I'm proud of this month.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath Complete

Claiming July Theme Challenge, because he's a frog.

Claiming Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?
1. include some terrain in your oath
2. Epic: this is the biggest thing I've ever painted, but if Germ says its not "sufficiently epic", so be it.
3. Picture Time: See above photo (I'm moving so 98% of my stuff is packed and I admit this is a half assed attempt, so if Germ says no, so be it)
4. Rules Lawyer: Infinity Motor-pool. By spending one Short Skill of an Order and succeeding at a WIP Roll, a trooper in base contact with this piece of scenery can obtain a Motorcycle (MOV 8-6). Once a success has been rolled, that trooper cannot use the Motor-pool Trait of this piece of scenery again. Troopers possessing the Booty or the Scavenger Special Skill, or any other Skill which specifies so, don’t need to make the WIP Roll and may automatically obtain a Motorcycle (MOV 8-6).

Not super happy how the building turned out. The salt technique seems to have left too much residue and it looks salt stained as well as chipped. I will try to fix this later, but for now more painting (house painting...moving sucks).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
OATH COMPLETE

Claiming:
WIP Photos
July Theme Challenge It's an amphibious robot with a big 'ol harpoon

I forgot to add my name to the various wip photos but I have it in the final one, whoops.

So I started off by trying zenithal priming for the first time.

Another first, I used apoxie sculpt and a stamp to make a textured base.

Here's how things looked on my first pass, with the base coat finished.

And after shading and adding some rust, the mini is almost complete here. Still had to paint in its eye, and I did some more ink work after this image.

Picked up some aquarium plants to cut down for its base.

And here it is, finished.

Edit:

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 2, 2016

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Oath Complete!

I would like to claim Box Art for the starter battlegroup.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Grey Hunter posted:

My terrain project is over a foot high, so doesn't fit into my light box!

I forgot to claim Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord? in my post, I've edited it in.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Claiming Oath Complete as well as Box Art!

(There's a few extra models I did this month in the group shot).

Close up of the algae-filled water and blue water I did.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Oath Complete

I'd like to claim the July Theme challenge for mister shark man and #SquadGoals for the bugbears.

I would also like to claim the WIP challenge for these images:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

Desecrator, emerging from the ocean for this month's theme

Morats

Battle Boar

Splatter Boar

Damaged Urban Tiles, my entry for Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

I hope that 16 square feet of terrain counts as Epic

And.. picture time!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete! Apologies for the image spam; I haven't set up a decent large photo station yet:

Not-Stonehenge! I went for a faint purplish tinge to the stone, with faint flecks of gold. Also, you're going to be seeing a lot of the oxidized copper, as I kinda went overboard with it.

For the Ophidian Archway, I went with a quasi-medieval style of painting, plus some salt-and-hairspray weathering to make it look more appropriately ruined. Also featured, approximately half my bottle of GW Nihilakh Oxide.

Red castle, blue castle. For contrast. (I based the red stone on a castle ruin I saw in Scotland about 15 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember the name.)

Two views of the Garden: one without the crypts and one with. The theme of "Doc Goes Nuts With The Weathering Effects" can also be seen in the rust on the fences and gates.

The guardian statue actually has a faint tan coloring in the shadows, but I just could not get that to come out in pictures at all. It's very subtle in person. However, I was pretty satisfied with the marbling effect I did on the plinth.

Obviously this is all for Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?. No theme/technical challenge this month, as I ran out of time due to dealing with a minor flood in the basement. After that, the last thing I wanted to deal with was water effects.*

I hope this sheer quantity of stuff qualifies for an Epic entry; it's kind of a snug fit on a 3' x 3' standard Frostgrave table, yet I feel like it's not claustrophobic enough....

Picture Time! (which I didn't realize was so drat blurry until much later; I set up the shot in a hurry before I lost the living-room daylight)

Whoops--looks like Etienne and Sascha have disturbed Usk, Garvo and Fluffy in their grave-robbing amateur archaeology. How embarrassing!

Rules Lawyer: Crypts of the Dead (Frostgrave)
When a roll for a random monster encounter generates any Undead result (Skeletons, Armored Skeletons, Wraith, etc.), the monster(s) emerge from the Garden's crypts instead of a board edge. If the crypts are separated by more than 6", roll 1D3 to determine which crypt the monster comes from. If the Garden is set up with all 3 crypts within 6" of each other, multiply the number of monsters produced by 1D3. Once on the board, monsters behave as normal.

Full album is here. I might post follow-up pics later, as I'm debating whether or not to apply snow effects before the end-of-season group shot.

* In Soviet Russia, water affects you! :commissar:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

Claiming the theme challenge for the frog wielding a tiny little pufferfish and a seahorse.

Also claiming WIP Photos

Oath post:

Base colours:

First wash:

Where I left off yesterday:

90% done:

And complete:

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 1, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete!

Claiming Life's a beach! Technical challenge for water effects and theme because they're Fishermen.
Also #SquadGoals

Shark

Siren

Angel

Claiming Speed Painting for Salt

Claiming I rolled a 6! for the ball marker

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

Picture Time!

It's an Epic amount of terrain since it's a full table's worth for Guild Ball.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bad time management this month! But still, Oath Complete!

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Oath Complete!

This poo poo is some poo poo, but I refused to lapse on it.

Claiming:
#SquadGoals since there's the officer and at least three other proper white ones, which is the 4 squad.
WIP Photos for the scrunt, and I guess the line of duders, although nothing really changed between those pics and the end, so if not, that's cool.

I tried to do them properly and burnt out super hard, plus I got some Orks and a bunch of other minis that were more interesting and got distracted. I basically ended up using them to test out some wash combos, weathering effects, and assorted other crap. They're all going in Super Clean in a month probably.

The only exception to this is the officer, who I actually like, and the scrunt, who I'm waiting to highlight until I have a better grasp on two-brush blending.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I, Dimo ArKacho, oath to paint these 11 Stormtroopers and 1 Kayn Somos Stormtrooper Officer dude. 28mm Fantasy Flight.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Oath Addition: One Bob Olley Scrunt sniper dude.

I took that picture this afternoon, before I got too lazy to post, so here are some progress pictures as well.

He's pretty much all basecoated, and I'm thinking I might try two brush blending on him instead of a wash. I already have 10 million Stormtroopers to wash and highlight up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the hat though? I'm not really liking the coloring on it. I was originally going for some sort of arctic fur idea, but it didn't really pan out or jive with the rest.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Here's some wip of my stormtroopers, who've been dubbed The Color Brigade.

I was originally going to do then properly, but I burnt out real quick, and if I had to paint one more loving white on white with black details, I was gonna throw them down the disposal. At least this way I get to mess with different coloring techniques and wash blends and whatnot. They're all going in a Super Clean bath eventually anyway, since I already can't stand some of them, but hell if that's gonna stop me from finishing the month out.

Dimo ArKacho fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 1, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

I Nichol hereby oath for the month of July to paint this modular 4x6 table and associated foam los blocking terrain I made.

I realize now only one of the four panels is visible in this shot. Ruling? Here is the progress since this morning:

Oath Complete!!!

Life's a Beatch - water effects
July-ke To Paint some Terrain - natch
Epic I hope this counts?
Rules Lawyer:
We've been playing (while it was wip), with the 3 inch levels as though they were floors in a building, and with some interesting effects - Skimmers, flyers, etc basically ignore the height and travel as the crow flies; Jump and jet pack units (when using their packs) also move 'as the crow flies'. Anything moving around the ground has to burn 3 inches to get up to the next level, which has some crazy implications and messes around with balance a lot. I'm not sure the rules will be permanent but they're fun. It's always Tau, Nids, and jump-heavy blood angels anyway so it isn't completely unfair for any one faction. Also, the riverbed is treated as dangerous at all times. It has killed a surprising number of models.

I have built a bridge that spans it as well, but it's not painted yet so not included.

And here, some more photos for picture time!

And detail on the water. I totally added too much colour and it ended up very opaque. Still think it look cool but not what I expected. At least it hardened properly!

Will be editing photos for a bit here but a bunch have my name already ;)
Also the roommates responsible for stepping on the loving styro while it was out to dry have been sacked. Shouldn't be too bad to touch up, it is the nature of styrofoam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:peanut: OATH COMPLETE :peanut:

6 Q Huts

Two billboards and supercomputer. Really all I did for the billboards was paint the supports black, but I oathed them anyway for good measure!

Two large shipping container, and two shipping container

The large drill platform, gate, corners, and laser fences all in one go

The stranger calling himself Survivor has brought the Eldar strike team to this strange place; "Uncover the secret of the Fernfield monument, and you too can join us in the Warpath"

Special rule for the piece:
In wine mode, whomever has the most points on the base at the end of each game turn gets a refill - minis underneath are worth 1 point, on the first floor 2 points, and the top floor 3 points.
In beer mode, as above, but the whole bottle must be drunk and replaced for the next turn.
In drill mode, each player turn the drill generates a token worth d6 minerals, which can then be carried off the board for an equal number of victory points, but the carrying unit cannot shoot back - do you moneyball out a pair of tokens worth 2 VP, or do you gamble on hooking and holding a big single toen worth 5 or 6?

Kraken!

Claiming Life's a beach! for the Kraken

Also claiming Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord? for all the terrain, picture time for the drill platform with minis on it, Rules Lawyer for the special rules, and hopefully it's enough overall for an epic bonus entry.

• Locked thread