Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cockatiel rain dances are pretty great. Yours always look so active and lively. How do they like that foraging ball with millet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Cockatiel rain dances are pretty great. Yours always look so active and lively. How do they like that foraging ball with millet?

The ball is filled with flax right now. I haven't seen them play around with it after I filled that in, but I also haven't offered them whole flax before.
When I've previously filled it with Nutriberries they've loved gnawing through the holes. Unfortunately the holes are too large for almonds and peanuts to stay in it, otherwise those two are currently my go-to for getting them back into the cage.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bird jail

At the vet

Look how fluffy the face is on the right

Happy potato

Not many pictures this time. Ended up covering up more of Inko's cage after he instantly did his weird hanging thing and shat out of the back of it, so it looks like Steve's cage now. Inko also has a jingly toy tied to the top of his cage with instructions on a flag to use it for distraction if he attacks when going into the cage

nielsm posted:

The ball is filled with flax right now. I haven't seen them play around with it after I filled that in, but I also haven't offered them whole flax before.
When I've previously filled it with Nutriberries they've loved gnawing through the holes. Unfortunately the holes are too large for almonds and peanuts to stay in it, otherwise those two are currently my go-to for getting them back into the cage.

I should try Nutriberries someday if even cockatiels love them

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is the noise Raddy was making all day today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJCA-DqNUlk

He only heard the dog playing with it once :psyduck:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VioletCorsica posted:

Individual bird evaluation:
?!? See if bird steps up?

Other criteria might in theory include:

Is bird already on a good pellet-based diet? (Easier for you not to change anything)
Does bird seem interested in you or just ignore you?
Is bird well-groomed?
Is bird active in the cage? (If not at that moment, at least do toys appear played with, etc)
History of bird-- for instance, if the bird was abused by a particular gender, but you are not that gender, the bird may be fine with you. But an SO or friend visiting would be a different story. Good rescues will warn you of any potential problems in the bird's history.

In reality I suspect it will consist of:

Bird!

Edit: Dying at the pic of Steve in the Big House, Battle Pigeon.

greypearl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 31, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

greypearl posted:

Other criteria might in theory include:

Is bird already on a good pellet-based diet? (Easier for you not to change anything)
Does bird seem interested in you or just ignore you?
Is bird well-groomed?
Is bird active in the cage? (If not at that moment, at least do toys appear played with, etc)
History of bird-- for instance, if the bird was abused by a particular gender, but you are not that gender, the bird may be fine with you. But an SO or friend visiting would be a different story. Good rescues will warn you of any potential problems in the bird's history.

In reality I suspect it will consist of:

Bird!

Thank you! My understanding - please tell me if I'm wrong - is that most cockatiels are pretty happy and gentle birds. I am a pretty gentle person, especially with creatures. I know one exception, Mr Yeepers, who seems to aggress almost everyone, but especially people with facial hair. This is why I am somewhat apprehensive.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

greypearl posted:

Seriously, I can't stop laughing at these two pictures particularly.

Steve servin' time.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just love Steve gets the cardboard box instead of the pet carrier

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least he has a friend to come and visit (and an extremely rude dude in the upper cell block)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

At least he has a friend to come and visit (and an extremely rude dude in the upper cell block)

"What're you in for?"
"Biting the poo poo out of a human during cage cleaning time. You?"
"Grand Theft Millet. What's the yellow dude's deal?"
"Steve? No one knows. He just keeps saying 'I'm a cockatiel!' over and over again"

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VioletCorsica posted:

Thank you! My understanding - please tell me if I'm wrong - is that most cockatiels are pretty happy and gentle birds. I am a pretty gentle person, especially with creatures. I know one exception, Mr Yeepers, who seems to aggress almost everyone, but especially people with facial hair. This is why I am somewhat apprehensive.

Generally yes, but rescued birds are more likely to be exceptions. I would guess the rescue will have fostered any candidates you see for a bit and will know their tendencies, though.

Definitely gauge the amount of work you are willing to put in for your new friend. It will be worth it in the end, but getting a traumatized bird and getting past that fear can be a slow process, and there is nothing wrong with deciding that is a task for someone else.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

greypearl posted:

getting past that fear can be a slow process, and there is nothing wrong with deciding that is a task for someone else.

To add that I currently have two 'tiels who had to be moved into an aviary and it had nothing to do with what I did, and everything to do with them being aviary bred birds who didn't have any human contact till the moment they got sold. One of them simply could not stand being in a cage and got more and more distressed till she panic screamed all her waking hours. Nothing could be done for her but to move her into the flight, the shop basically broke her before she had a chance. She got lucky in that the random person who bought her had access to a flight, if she had been someone else then they would probably have have opened a window or taken her to a rescue, and the cycle would have continued.

It may seem like a kind thing to do to take home the one no one wants, don't. Get the one who will step up or looks like it wants to be your friend.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I lurk this thread for photos of birds (I love birds but I could never look after one), but I feel like people who haven't seen the source video for that kakapo gif would enjoy it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY. Features Stephen Fry and amorous huge ground parrot.

I know I couldn't deal with a bird because a friend of mine owns a galah, and he's adorable but god he gets into everything. If he's not receiving enough attention he will sneak off into the bathroom and throw any rolls of toilet paper he finds into the toilet. Alternatively he just sits in the corner calling people arseholes.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ten Becquerels posted:

I lurk this thread for photos of birds (I love birds but I could never look after one), but I feel like people who haven't seen the source video for that kakapo gif would enjoy it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY. Features Stephen Fry and amorous huge ground parrot.

I know I couldn't deal with a bird because a friend of mine owns a galah, and he's adorable but god he gets into everything. If he's not receiving enough attention he will sneak off into the bathroom and throw any rolls of toilet paper he finds into the toilet. Alternatively he just sits in the corner calling people arseholes.

its nice to have birds sometimes show up and do their own thing and then you can look at the birds

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This isn't real life

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

This isn't real life

"'Tori... just killed a man.
Put my beak against his head - screeched my lungs out, now he's dead. 'Tori.... life had just begun...
But now I've gone and thrown it all away...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While Inko is just shoving his junk up against the bars like a pervert

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fingats, oo0000OOOOOoooooh,
Didn't mean to make you bleed,
If I don't squak again this time tomorrow...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

You wanna know how I got these scars...?

https://twitter.com/S_Coochan/status/759879843311857668

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Coo-chan :kimchi:

Check the art blog that did their header out, it's just stupid cute.

https://twitter.com/Birdstory_pic

EDIT: I mean god look at this just look at it

Tendai fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 1, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
When I was just chick
My Mama told me, Steve
Always be a good tiel
Don't ever bite a finger
But I bit a fingat in Reno
Just to watch it bleed
When I hear that conure squawkin'
I drop my crest and cry

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We just bought and moved into our first place and have been replacing a decades worth of hand-me-down and otherwise second hand furniture with new stuff we care about.

This leads me to my question: there is a bird poop remover that has been recommended here before but I don't remember what it was called. Poop-Off or something like that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use Poop Off wipes and also spray, and will confirm it's great.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Confirming Poop-Off is some kind of witchcraft.

So, I finally got around to getting Mookie a cement perch, so that maybe he can look less like a hobo. There are two problems with this:
1) He immediately hates it, and is currently emoting as hard as he can at it from the corner of his cage.
2) It looks exactly like a giant pink dildo.
Can't wait to see the reaction from lady friends.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

subpar anachronism posted:

I bought a couple packs of these to decorate my desk area but I really only need one. So I hope it's okay to post this- would any bird crazies be interested in receiving a potato postcard? I'd be able to send them out probably sometime this weekend after pay day.

If you'd like one could you just post which number you'd like? If no one else has claimed it feel free to send me a PM confirming the number and your mailing address, or an email to west at tiny magnet dot com with the subject Bird Crazies and the same info.

my postcard arrived!

thanks heaps!

It went to the wrong mailbox, so the people who work next door to me had to drop it off in our office and now my secret bird craziness is out.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tendai posted:

I use Poop Off wipes and also spray, and will confirm it's great.

do you spray the bird when it poops

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wrong forum im dumb

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 1, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Aw yissss

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

do you spray the bird when it poops
lol if you think birds ever stop pooping!!!

He looks so satisfied :3:

EDIT: I got my postcard! It's so cute :3: It's hanging up above Judah's cage now.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 1, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mikerock posted:

We just bought and moved into our first place and have been replacing a decades worth of hand-me-down and otherwise second hand furniture with new stuff we care about.

This leads me to my question: there is a bird poop remover that has been recommended here before but I don't remember what it was called. Poop-Off or something like that.

I use this and it's awesome. Dunno why it's priced so high right now, I got a case of these 22oz bottles for around the same price.

Venus Laboratories BVEPN971812 Earth Friendly Aviary Cage Deodorizer, 22-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P47IP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iw6Nxb703ASX5

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Cross-posted from Metafilter.. member there found a very charming potato on her porch and is seeking its owner.
Thought I'd throw it up here, goon bird crazies network and all.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pet/5711078970.html
I'm hoping it's Toast, but I think Crows isn't in the US.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I now have a room for my birds* where they can make as much noise as they like and no one will hear them, especially at 4am when a certain sun conure sometimes wakes up cranky :D

*my living room has been made birb safe.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Toast is also a lovebird.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crows talks about chermside shops itt so im pretty sure she lives somewhere in Brisbanes Northside. Definitely somewhere in Brisbane though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Her signature is also AusPol Crew so...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm in Brisbane. I'm living in Red Hill now but working in Chermside.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Any news on Toast?

E: What the gently caress people are posting videos of their birds masturbating in a bird group on facebook, calling it cute. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 2, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Any news on Toast?

E: What the gently caress people are posting videos of their birds masturbating in a bird group on facebook, calling it cute. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I am reassured once again that leaving facebook was ultimately a good thing.