Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

General Dog posted:

It's obviously not good, but if you read the actual AP report they're quoting from, Deadspin is slapping a fairly sensationalist headline on it. It reads like the alcohol policy acted as a passive deterrent for reporting, but not as something where a surly admin actively used it as a cudgel. It's sad, but it's not really anything we didn't already know.

are you legit retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

But Jesus, am I tired of apologizing for these clowns.

Then stop. There's really no excuse for any of this. It's indefensible.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

quote:

"A number of victims were told that if they made a report of rape, their parents would be informed of the details of where they were and what they were doing," said Chad Dunn, a Houston attorney who represents six women who have sued Baylor under the anonymous identification of Jane Doe.
there i read the original AP report. i have pasted paragraph three where you are proven highly wrong

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Phobeste posted:

pretty sure this is a cudgel. so it wasn't someone telling a student "if you specifically bring an investigation about a football player raping you BAH GAWD I'LL SEE YOU EXPELLED", but nobody has to do that if they systematically ignore the "Someone raped me" part of the sentence "Someone raped me while I was at a party" in favor of kicking you out for the "at a party" bit

I agree, but the Deadspin article strongly implies the former, which is both misleading and does a disservice to the real issue at hand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

General Dog posted:

But Jesus, am I tired of apologizing for these clowns.

Then don't?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

I agree, but the Deadspin article strongly implies the former, which is both misleading and does a disservice to the real issue at hand.

v2vian man posted:

are you legit retarded

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

General Dog posted:

gently caress you

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i miss helldump. look at all of the incredibly stupid poo poo you've posted

General Dog posted:

Banning alcohol might go a long way.
god you're an idiot

General Dog posted:

Drinking doesn't make predators, but it sure as hell makes prey.
incredibly stupid victim shaming

General Dog posted:

I agree with all of that. Their failure to sever all ties with this guy (or at least keep his rear end away from team facilities) the minute the indictment came down is absolutely what deserves the most ridicule here.

The rest of it- the investigation, the lack of concern for the victim's interests, and all that are administrative failings, and I'd venture they have a lot more to do with incompetence than corruption.
proven wrong

General Dog posted:

Ever noticed how all the top teams have like 15 players arrested every year? If this Baylor thing even registers with anyone as out of step with the sport as a whole, I don't know what they've been watching.
what the gently caress

General Dog posted:

I'm only defending (just downplaying really) the actions of the football team, not of the administration. Yes, the football team should have kicked this guy off when he was indicted, but it was administration's job to kick the guy out of school, and to take care of the victim's intetests.

And I don't see a lot of evidence that administration handled the case with kid gloves because the guy was a football player, as has been the implication in a lot of the reporting on this story. I think its equally likely that they just sucked at their jobs. That you had non police being asked to handle a police matter.
proven wrong. football coaches actively impeded any title ix investigation and your second paragraph is loving laughable

General Dog posted:

Between the chaplain's testimony after talking to both people and the relatively light sentence, it's almost like there could be ambiguities to this case that we don't know anything about.
again i wonder if you have a developmental disability

General Dog posted:

Baylor's not even my team, I just want to assume the best about people. Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't bring myself to believe that administrators, chaplains, and a full jury are all conspiring to try to get a player who doesn't even matter from getting in trouble for rape so they can increase Baylor's win expectancy by 0.15 games or something. Even in a post-Sandusky world, maybe especially in a post-Sandusky world, that seems insane to me.
.15 huh. what's the square root of this rape charge

General Dog posted:

Mine too.

I think the point I've been circling around every time one of these scandals comes up for the past several years is that this idea that football players tend to get preferential treatment from the law strikes me as received wisdom. When player after player gets off without punishment for this kind of thing, the media asks why it is football players always seem to get away with it. It's a fair question, but their scope is too small. The problem isn't that football players are never brought to justice for rape, it's that by and large nobody is ever brought to justice for rape. How many countless nobodies that we've never heard of have gone through the same joke of a system and slipped through the cracks in the same fashion? Whether the culprit is Jameis Winston or Joe Blow, rape is a really difficult thing to prove, and we live in a society that doesn't really want to think about it. Sure, maybe when it's a football player a few people may want to think about it a little less, but I think for the large part our focus on the sports element of these stories is missing the forest for the trees.

Now I'll hang up and let you talk Pawlll. I like the way I've posted as poster, a fan, and a human being.
indeed, truely you have been arguing for justice and not for putting your pants on your head and talking about how much you love trains

General Dog posted:

You know, having read the article I really don't have a good defense any more, I guess I've just got to admit that the amount of enjoyment I get watching the team outweighs the amount that this actually bothers me. I'm going to go ahead and forfeit my right to discuss this matter any further, because I'm unable to look at it objectively.
sign number 3 billion that you should get the gently caress out

General Dog posted:

If he's no longer at the school, and the incident didn't occur at Baylor, then why would the continue the investigation?
ah yes just as you were saying earlier, you believe in people being brought to justice, big time

General Dog posted:

I did. Although, if they've found enough that they've deemed it prudent to kick him out I'm not sure where else they need to go from there. They're wrong to kick them out, they're wrong to let them stay, what exactly is the right way to do this?
once again, i don't think your brain loving works

General Dog posted:

As difficult as rape accusations are to confirm, as we've seen at Baylor and also everywhere, I don't see anything wrong with the administration saying, "look, it's probably in everyone's best interest if you just leave." If he's committed a crime, it's not going to shield him from the criminal charges. If he's guilty, they've managed to get rid of a predator (for once), and if he's innocent, they're sparing him the life-ruining ramifications of going through an investigation under the microscope of the national press (the findings won't matter, he'll have had his name and "rape allegations" showing up together for months by the time it's over).

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but my impression is that the point of a campus investigation is to determine whether the student deserves punishment up to or including expulsion or not, not to create the all-time authoritative account of what exactly happened.

Edit: Make no mistake, I think there are plenty of valid criticisms to make of how Baylor has handled everything, I just think this is an odd thing to key in on.
and there we are, full MRA victim-doubting. took you long enough bitch

hey i know you started this thread so it doesn't make sense to tell you to get out, but you need to get the gently caress out right away

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

v2vian man posted:

i miss helldump. look at all of the incredibly stupid poo poo you've posted
god you're an idiot
incredibly stupid victim shaming
proven wrong
what the gently caress
proven wrong. football coaches actively impeded any title ix investigation and your second paragraph is loving laughable

again i wonder if you have a developmental disability

.15 huh. what's the square root of this rape charge

indeed, truely you have been arguing for justice and not for putting your pants on your head and talking about how much you love trains

sign number 3 billion that you should get the gently caress out

ah yes just as you were saying earlier, you believe in people being brought to justice, big time

once again, i don't think your brain loving works

and there we are, full MRA victim-doubting. took you long enough bitch

hey i know you started this thread so it doesn't make sense to tell you to get out, but you need to get the gently caress out right away

:stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You're right the post history speaks for itself. I probably should have honored my word and stayed out of it, but I stand by all of the posts.

I'm okay dying on this hill.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You're OK with victim blaming?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
we have awoken the sleeping ham

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh wait i just loving remembered that General Dog is the poster formerly known as Frackie Robinson hahahahahahahahahahahaha

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

General Dog posted:

You're right the post history speaks for itself. I probably should have honored my word and stayed out of it, but I stand by all of the posts.

I'm okay dying on this hill.

good news, i just loving killed you. mission accomplished, you're dead, stop posting

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Burn Waco Down

Again

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

v2 bicth

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The news: Baylor football team brutally rapes and murders 69 virgins

That guy: Now that's paper

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

we have awoken the sleeping ham

This is the Rocky 5 of TFF posting. :golfclap: We thought he'd given up and retired, but here he is slaying another dragon.

Alaois posted:

oh wait i just loving remembered that General Dog is the poster formerly known as Frackie Robinson hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh poo poo, now I recognize that terrible posting. :laffo:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

General corn dog, due to the sunk cost of all them posts I would suggest making sure everyone knows about them in all future threads as well to maximize the value of the hill

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Much like Baylor athletes, General Dog, maybe you need to learn some things aren't worth it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Probably Magic posted:

Much like Baylor athletes, General Dog, maybe you need to learn some things aren't worth it.

We tried telling him "no". He just wouldn't listen.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chichevache posted:

:drat:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Chichevache posted:

:thurman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

:vince:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chichevache posted:

:boom:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Well, I made the posts in Waco so good luck getting anything done about it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

General Dog posted:

:chloe:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

General Dog posted:

You seem to have a problem so maybe take like three months and stop posting

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Chichevache posted:

:perfect:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Parmesan Basil posted:

You seem to have a problem so maybe take like three months and stop posting

lol @ parm trying to get in on this dogpile

go get em champ

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ. 5'd

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

I laughed

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Baylor OG (Texas transfer) Rami Hammad was arrested for stalking. He was apparently waiting for the girl when she got to class, she told him to leave, but he was still there waiting for her at the end. She told the professor she was afraid for her safety, so the prof accompanied her. Hammad followed them to the prof's office and began banging on the door, at which point the prof called the athletic department and got no answer several times before giving up and calling the police.

Have you learned nothing Baylor?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Shouldn't we be happy the cops handled it instead of Baylor's AD in-house for once? In any case I somehow doubt the athletic department knew Rami Hammad was outside this dude's office stalking a girl, saw his number on the caller ID and went "nah let's just ignore it"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yes it's a good thing that it was handled by the cops instead of the AD, that was my whole point. The prof should have called the police first. Picking up the phone to call the AD not just once but several times and only going to the police as a last resort would suggest that some very alarming behavior is still being referred to the AD instead of the cops.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 2, 2016

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yes it's a good thing that it was handled by the cops instead of the AD, that was my whole point. The prof should have called the police first. Picking up the phone to call the AD not just once but several times and only going to the police as a last resort would suggest that some very alarming behavior is still being referred to the AD instead of the cops.

Oh I totally misunderstood I read it as the AD not picking up being Baylor learning nothing sorry for being a dummy

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Scionix posted:

lol @ parm trying to get in on this dogpile

go get em champ

Just giving out free advice!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'd call the AD too as a safeguard against getting fired for not doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

v2vian man posted:

I'd call the AD too as a safeguard against getting fired for not doing it

Yeah the fact that they would fire or even attempt to fire a professor for not calling the AD is part of the loving problem. Especially calling him before you call the cops.

• Locked thread