Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

My go-to description is "they hired a bunch of decent, but not great actors and in lieu of direction, handed them a napkin with "Shatner" written on it.

I honestly can't even imagine what gritty edf would sound like. Even IA was tongue in cheek. I wonder if these lines sound as silly in the original language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Quicksilver6 posted:

I honestly can't even imagine what gritty edf would sound like. Even IA was tongue in cheek. I wonder if these lines sound as silly in the original language?

I'd imagine they had to. I mean, look at the game. There's no way for a moment you can take anything seriously and the slightly suspect voice acting only adds to the charm.

What is this? What is THIS?!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Seiren posted:

For additional fun, take a guide beacon gun instead of a bunker or defense post. Now you can focus-fire your missiles on single targets!

:aaa:

Argo's never gonna know what hit it

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I'm pretty confident the Japanese voices are just as, maybe even more, bombastic. For an example, here's EDF3's final level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHYqeF66GI

(unfortunately the BGM is not actually part of the game)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I bet someone yells "MASAKA!" at least once each mission

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I heard that the Japanese versions have fairly voice acting and writing for the genre and the amazing voice acting of the Western version of 2017 was an accident of an overly literal translation and bad voice direction.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I sure love the Japanese voice acting, but I started the series in Japanese so I am biased.

Speaking of that, some people have written the name of the professor as "O'Hara" in this thread, is the English version deliberately presenting him as being Irish?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay so is it perfectly fine for me to just lob timed grenades at ants then clean up with a shotgun that has a wider spread than my name?

Because that's what I'm doing and it is loving great

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I sure love the Japanese voice acting, but I started the series in Japanese so I am biased.

Speaking of that, some people have written the name of the professor as "O'Hara" in this thread, is the English version deliberately presenting him as being Irish?

Ohara's English VA is doing his best George Takei impersonation except he hasn't watched Star Trek in like ten years and also might be thinking of William Shatner.

Now I want to hear that guy try to do an Irish accent though.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know Ohara was a Japanese name. O'hara is a surname that's literally the same and used in English so there you go. Definitely the best voice in the entire thing.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Now the Wing Divers can show their stuff!

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
My video card decided to die a green artifact death earlier, so sorry for disappearing. Soon I will return and prove technology advances faster than nature.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The FPS shotgun of the Wing Diver has just enough range to take down a transport and dies in a fraction of the time it takes to fly so close. I am glad the drat thing doesn't kill me when it falls on my head.
Reenacting the end of season 1 of Big O was fun. Hectors have some fun physics.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My memory of Mission #87 being a bigger ballbuster than mission #89 confirmed. Plus when I survive long enough in either, at least I don't have to CHASE the Brain :argh:

Also oh right gently caress YEAH STORM TEAM :rock: My sniper rifles tend to collect dust until it's time to finish the job and methodically murder everything single loving thing in the sky :legion:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I heard Monster Party was a bad level

And it is

And then I remembered I have a Flame Cannon :getin:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HolyKrap posted:

Also, here's what happens when you get out of the depth crawler while on a cave ceiling
http://giant.gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie.webm

Haha! That's happened to me on other classes, seems more frequent than 2025 (played that for 90 hrs and didn't fall through the environment once).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This game is the Serious Sam of TPS. The weapons cause so many explosions, I have to look at the minimap in order to see where I am going.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Flame Cannon is the secret best weapon in the game because it launches giant corpses a million miles away super fast so you can actually see where you're going(and move, when you're stuck amidst like 30 ant corpses) without blowing yourself up and it does a shitload of damage too

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What keeps murdering me in the Shield Bearer mission? I take out most of them and suddenly, everything is flattened.
I love this game, but all this dying makes me consider it to be a strategy game bordering on puzzle-solving.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

What keeps murdering me in the Shield Bearer mission? I take out most of them and suddenly, everything is flattened.
I love this game, but all this dying makes me consider it to be a strategy game bordering on puzzle-solving.

The first mission with shield bearers? The Air Force are being sore losers are won't accept the fact that shield bearers completely neuter them, so they make a couple bombing runs. You need to listen to the NPC chatter on that mission and stay away when they tell you to.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought so. I avoided the first run, but after I take out the two with the Hectors guarding it, immediate death. The radio said to knock it off before I died. I didn't see the red field either. I thought that was to get the hell out of there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Scalding Coffee posted:

THE AIR FORCE HAS THEIR HONOR TOO

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Attack Whale is a bro.

:colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turn down bgm and sfx but leave voice reasonably loud, the NPC chatter is fantastic and sometimes informative

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a friend who insists on throwing bomber charons and lionics at me while I'm flying into shieldbearer shieldscreens

I guess air raiders have their honor too, too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Turn down bgm and sfx but leave voice reasonably loud, the NPC chatter is fantastic and sometimes informative

We cannot let the giant insects take over the Earth.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I get this a lot in mothership missions. Is there any way to tell where the genocide cannon is being aimed or do I just need to continue with my strategy of "hope its not aimed at me".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mondian posted:

I get this a lot in mothership missions. Is there any way to tell where the genocide cannon is being aimed or do I just need to continue with my strategy of "hope its not aimed at me".

In missions where it sticks around long enough to fire more than once.

See that large stretch of destroyed buildings? Don't walk through there, even if it's retracted the Genocide gun it might be waiting to prank you and whip it out again. Go around even if it's longer-*blown up while trying to shortcut across on way to last hectors*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 1, 2016

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Really Pants posted:

We cannot let the giant insects take over the Earth.

" I have plenty of ammo so don't even tell me you lost your magazine"
"I lost my magazine!"

Has anyone seen any of the walking fortresses drop on mission 14 inferno? Trying to figure out if I should keep trying to farm that mission for it or hope I can find one somewhere on hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus christ the argo during the beach assault mission on anything past normal has absurd amounts of health

I sat on top of the hill literally doing nothing but shooting it with Cascade 2 and I managed to kill it right before I died because everyone else had been killed by everything, and then I tried killing everything else first and wound up with two seemingly immortal Fencers to tank it while I sat there shooting it with an MMF100 for five minutes until it died

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sonel posted:

"I lost my magazine!"

Has anyone seen any of the walking fortresses drop on mission 14 inferno? Trying to figure out if I should keep trying to farm that mission for it or hope I can find one somewhere on hard.

I've farmed 14 at least twenty times on Inferno and the enemy composition is always the same.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Sonel posted:

"I lost my magazine!"

The walking fortress is a reference to a future mission, it never occurs on that one. Enemy composition is always static.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
This is the game of the year, holy poo poo. So much fun with 4 friends. EDF! EDF!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Sonel posted:

"I lost my magazine!"

You should be able to get the basic and the first upgrade from that mission. You can get both of them on hard and the basic on normal, so if you're after those specifically you're probably better off with some higher enemy missions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sonel posted:

"I lost my magazine!"

I've had original flavor Walking Fortress Balam drop on Hard from playing normally so it's absolutely within Inferno 14's level range. And on PS4 I've gotten the second Balam from Inferno 14.

Air Raider just has a huge drop table, like almost twice the size of any other class. You'll be a while.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Same. I know the urge to fight Hectors with a Balam is overwhelming. Some people were amazed to see a giant just drop on the beach and fight Hectors. Now if the basic only used those weapons to fight with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I plateaued with 14 it seems. I can do it with all classes with minimal risk but some games I get two weapon boxes, sometimes ten but either way I'm barely getting any new weapons on Inferno. What range if missions have the biggest table? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I plateaued with 14 it seems. I can do it with all classes with minimal risk but some games I get two weapon boxes, sometimes ten but either way I'm barely getting any new weapons on Inferno. What range if missions have the biggest table? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Though this was 2025's table, the same idea applies. Each stage has a level range of stuff that can drop on it, depending on the difficulty. In EDF 2025, for example, Inferno 14 can drop weapons from level 0 to 56.

The actual weapon boxes themselves is just RNG. Some stuff is guaranteed to drop multiple boxes like Hectors, other big stuff, and certain upgraded insect varieties. Whether those are weapon boxes, armor boxes, or health boxes is just pure chance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WHY DID YOU GET MARRIED?

TO PROTECT THE EARTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This was my first time driving a bike, is this normal?

http://giant.gfycat.com/ConfusedSparklingKingsnake.webm