Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really wasn't a fan of what seemed like a gradual attempt to move things more towards sorcery speed, I think that cuts out on what is one of the cooler strengths of Magic as a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Plenty of things play at instant speed in this standard. They're just creatures.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I want to see the decklists for the B/R Vampires and Mardu Harmless Pact decks.

Also, only one mono-white humans deck. loving lol.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah this is a really unhealthy format

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Boswell is such a cocky guy with horrible hair.

He's a really nice dude. I can't defend his hair though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

There's several labeled as "wr humans", presumably monow with the splash for needle spires and bushwhacker

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hellsau posted:

Y'all gotta chill out, it isn't like the entire format is just Bant Company. There's a GW Tokens in the top 4 as well.

I hope there's a broken UR Elder Deep Fried deck out there that destroys bant company and every other permutation of GWx

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

some decks showing up in the t8 doesn't somehow change that a deck is over 40% of the metagame

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just don't see how a Deep Fiend deck can beat a deck that plays 4 Reflector Mage.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah there was only 1 copy of Bad Company in the SoI top 8 and it was only there because Mengucci bullied his teammate into resigning in the final round.

More on the last part please

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shadow225 posted:

I just don't see how a Deep Fiend deck can beat a deck that plays 4 Reflector Mage.

Pretty obvious. You sac the targeted Deep Fried to help pay for the next Deep Fried with the Mage trigger on the stack. :c00l:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Rinkles posted:

Anybody know what's up with magiccards.info lagging on releases?

it may be abandoned? no one knows.

I'll be really sad if it is because it was the only place to find good looking magic images for TTS.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tonetta posted:

More on the last part please

He needed to make top 8 for... whatever, Platinum? he begged his teammate who he was paired against in the final round of swiss to scoop him in, somehow it became bullying?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

He needed to make top 8 for... whatever, Platinum? he begged his teammate who he was paired against in the final round of swiss to scoop him in, somehow it became bullying?

I don't see why there is anything wrong with this. Hell, if it wasn't a bannable offense i'm sure he'd offer winnings too, i'm sure he did anyways.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wonder at what point in FFL testing did they realize that hey, maybe they should be trying out decks with this "reflector mage" guy.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
The Midrange Dream Lives Through Standard, The Worst Format.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

I wonder at what point in FFL testing did they realize that hey, maybe they should be trying out decks with this "reflector mage" guy.

i think it's fairly obvious, or should be, that design literally does not give a poo poo what they print on a creature card

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tonetta posted:

I don't see why there is anything wrong with this. Hell, if it wasn't a bannable offense i'm sure he'd offer winnings too, i'm sure he did anyways.

There isn't but people like to find something wrong with everything so :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tonetta posted:

The whole thing was covered on camera. Mengucci came off looking (key word) aggressive and almost insolent. His opponent seemed reluctant throughout the rather lengthy deliberation, and conceded the match misty eyed. It probably looked worse than it was, but left an ugly impression.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Reflector Mage was pushed late in development to help UW as a color pair in OGW limited. I doubt it got tons of testing in FFL. It was an obviously powerful card when first spoiled since it's better than Man O War in two different ways and that card has been too good for Standard (granted as a monocolored card) for over a decade.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shadow225 posted:

It's also a 4 reflector mage deck. Its your t3 to t4 deep fried.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The whole thing was covered on camera. Mengucci came off looking (key word) aggressive and almost insolent. His opponent seemed reluctant throughout the rather lengthy deliberation, and conceded the match misty eyed. It probably looked worse than it was, but left an ugly impression.

Okay this was the context I was looking for. It hurts to take one for the team but sometimes it's for the best. I'm sure he'll be rewarded for his patronage.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

One cool dude with G/B Aristocrats into Day 2 :unsmith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

whydirt posted:

I doubt it got tons of testing in FFL.

They've said as much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was seen as a strictly limited card. I don't think Man o' War was "too powerful" for standard so much as something they thought was too good for common and not worth printing at other rarities.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

I hope he gave the kid a good portion of his prize money.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

whydirt posted:

Reflector Mage was pushed late in development to help UW as a color pair in OGW limited. I doubt it got tons of testing in FFL. It was an obviously powerful card when first spoiled since it's better than Man O War in two different ways and that card has been too good for Standard (granted as a monocolored card) for over a decade.

Some WOTC dude straight up said they never tested Reflector in Standard; that was linked ITT a while back. It was a 2/2 originally and then bumped up to a 2/3 to make UW better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whydirt posted:

Reflector Mage would still be an elite 4 of in multiple decks without Collected Company but it's not as oppressive without it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Got second place in a standard tournament running GB aristocrats, pulled a foil and regular Liliana in my prize pool, feels good.

i ran permeating mass mainboard as a 4 of and it walled the human decks and company decks. Pretty drat funny card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Reminder that WotC has stated very few of their playtesters are competitive tournament types

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reminder that WotC has stated very few of their playtesters are competitive tournament types

What the gently caress did you do to your av dude

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I hope he gave the kid a good portion of his prize money.

"The kid" was a player who was dominant on the pt in the mid 2000s, although I forget who exactly

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

"The kid" was a player who was dominant on the pt in the mid 2000s, although I forget who exactly

Mark Long

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Actually it was Katsuhiro Mori

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

One of the guys from Team MetaGameGurus just got hired as a playtester, so maybe they're looking to change that by hiring a bunch of GP and SCG winners? I don't know if they hired anyone else from other parts of the world along with him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tonetta posted:

so weirdo gave cavewoman avatars to people, primarily people who post in the Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse

I think

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It kind of makes sense that the people overlap in the venn diagram of people who are A) Top tier magic players, B) Don't have a nice primary job they can't just ditch for a few years, and C) want to not play competitive magic for two years is pretty small.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 1, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Don't forget
D) Have to move to Seattle and get paid garbage for a high cost area.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Day 2 vs Top 16 comparison isn't quite apples-to-apples, but a reminder that there were 16 different decks in the top 16 of SCG Modern Classic Columbus a week ago, devoid of several format regulars like Tron, Infect, Delver, and Kiki-Jiki decks. If you want a diverse format right now, Modern is the place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tonetta posted:

GeneX posted:

so weirdo gave cavewoman avatars to people, primarily people who post in the Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse

I think

It's this and also I'm too cheap to rebuy hipster Bowser

Lum would be fine if I wasn't stuck with a weird looking purple and pink av.

• Locked thread