Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why does Dillon die.

Hang on, lemme check Wikipedia and get back to you.

Edit-- poo poo, it doesn't say. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why does Dillon die.

He was a sonovabitch

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Hang on, lemme check Wikipedia and get back to you.

Edit-- poo poo, it doesn't say. :sigh:

Don't hide from the question.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Space herpes.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Didn't he pull on a rope so hard that his arm fell off?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Alien visitors actaully being time travellers is an idea that pops up in alien abduction accounts and ufology every so often. Since the entire phenomenon of alien contact stories seem to react to popular media depictions, time travel could just be another element people pulled from movies. That's sort of neat to me.

Xenomrph posted:

As a side tangent, the book 'Predator: South China Sea' is a super cool book that I'd love to see adapted into a Predator movie, it's hands down the best Alien or Predator book from any publisher. The author really "got" what made the Predator movies interesting, it actually takes the time to make the Predator an interesting character in its own right while still keeping it weird and "alien" enough that you're not really humanizing it, and it's got a pretty solid cast of interesting and sometimes morally-grey characters.

South China Sea was written by Jeff VanderMeer in two months apparently. I've been meaning to check it out since I loved his Area X trilogy (Alex Garland is directing a film based on the first book) and the hostile jungle setting seems like a precursor to those books.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

punchymcpunch posted:

He stays with the alien in the mold to distract it while the lead is poured.

I mean "He stood still to represent silenced workers during the revolution when lead was used to change our point of view", but this only works if you watch "Mac & me" in the original German sign language version and consider the clear link to some vague crap.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Don't hide from the question.

It was his time.

Wait let me google 'zizek alien 3 dillon' real fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Let me know when Zack Snyder creates an original idea that spawns a multi-billion dollar franchise. Cameron has done that not once, but twice by the way.

I very much enjoy James Cameron's work but please tell me this is a joke post. Aliens is an action sequel, Avatar is white savior pulp (with a still ongoing lawsuit regarding someone's script that was shopped to Cameron and rejected but involved blue aliens that have a tendril in their hair to connect with animals/each other, unrelated to another currently ongoing lawsuit wherein Roger Dean sued him for ripping off some of his art), Titanic is dimestore romance on a boat (and all of Jack's sketches were drawn by James Cameron but directly ripped off from already existing photography, he settled out of court with one photographer), True Lies is an unofficial remake of La Totale! (Cameron ended up purchasing the rights to it to avoid having to owe mega-damages based on True Lies' massive success), The Abyss was the last of six "oh poo poo inhuman intelligence is underwater" movies released in the same year, Dark Angel was a cold ripoff of Cyber-6 and Battle Angel Alita (with lots of "homage" shots and everything), and so on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hunterhr posted:

It was any time

Over here
Turn around turn around
Over here turn around
Over here over here
Turn around

Anytime

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I very much enjoy James Cameron's work but please tell me this is a joke post. Aliens is an action sequel, Avatar is white savior pulp (with a still ongoing lawsuit regarding someone's script that was shopped to Cameron and rejected but involved blue aliens that have a tendril in their hair to connect with animals/each other, unrelated to another currently ongoing lawsuit wherein Roger Dean sued him for ripping off some of his art), Titanic is dimestore romance on a boat (and all of Jack's sketches were drawn by James Cameron but directly ripped off from already existing photography, he settled out of court with one photographer), True Lies is an unofficial remake of La Totale! (Cameron ended up purchasing the rights to it to avoid having to owe mega-damages based on True Lies' massive success), The Abyss was the last of six "oh poo poo inhuman intelligence is underwater" movies released in the same year, Dark Angel was a cold ripoff of Cyber-6 and Battle Angel Alita (with lots of "homage" shots and everything), and so on.
Wow, this is really fascinating, I knew about the Harlan Ellison/Terminator thing, but I didn't know about the others.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you do a Google search, I think some site (maybe Kotaku?) has a list of many more. Some of them are tenuous but I think frankly a lot of those people deserved to get some money because many of them are literally "I shopped this script to James Cameron's production company and they turned it down, then a few years later ____ came out." Dark Angel is the most frustrating. On the one hand, him basically doing a rough take on his Battle Angel flick is cool, he's a fan of it and Battle Angel is one of a billion manga to have shamelessly ripped off aspects of Terminator in its own way. But the creators of Cyber-6 had to drop their lawsuit because they ran out of money, and they both passed away IIRC not long after that happened. :(

The guy's a visionary with effects and setting the scene and whatever and I enjoyed to loved everything he's made (even Dark Angel) but, even not knowing about those lawsuits the idea that anything he's done is original from a storytelling or plot hook standpoint or whatever is kind of nuts to me. :) Original plot ideas and fleshed out character concepts are the least important thing about why his movies are awesome.

Also one final thing no lawsuit ever happened over, but that painting he did of Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor embracing as that truck is burning in the background, and that shot in the movie, that's just straight up 1:1 from the ending of C.H.U.D. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 1, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 is loving awesome and finally has it's own toy line.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That's loving awesome. :O

That reminds me I need to scan or take pictures of my Alien 3 trading cards or something. They had to have been made at a really weird time because the cards with bits of the plot follow the theatrical cut, but they also mention how Golic says the Alien just looks like Satan after the point where he disappears in the theatrical cut and have some background information about the prisoners that isn't in the movies at all like what crime they got sent there for and stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

That's loving awesome. :O

That reminds me I need to scan or take pictures of my Alien 3 trading cards or something. They had to have been made at a really weird time because the cards with bits of the plot follow the theatrical cut, but they also mention how Golic says the Alien just looks like Satan after the point where he disappears in the theatrical cut and have some background information about the prisoners that isn't in the movies at all like what crime they got sent there for and stuff.

I have multiple complete sets of those trading cards for some reason; I'll sift through what I've got, I wouldn't be opposed to giving away the spare sets to goons that want them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

punchymcpunch posted:

Predator shot off his arm. Arnold gets shot in the same spot and all he gets is a bruise.

Predator is RACIST!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Tenzarin posted:

Predator shot off his arm. Arnold gets shot in the same spot and all he gets is a bruise.

Predator is RACIST!

That's because Dillon pushed one too many pencils.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It's because Blaine's tobaccospit had already weakened him.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Clearly Dillon in Predator and Dillon in Alien3 are the same character (hence the name) with all differences between the two merely superficial by-products of the slightly dissimilar settings of both films.

I think I read somewhere that Charles S Dutton was the original first choice to play Dillon in Predator but one of the producers was too racist to allow that many black guys in one film so he wasn't cast.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Xenomrph posted:

I have multiple complete sets of those trading cards for some reason; I'll sift through what I've got, I wouldn't be opposed to giving away the spare sets to goons that want them.

If you're serious my near-complete set has been driving me insane since they were released. I'd be glad to pay shipping, etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If you're serious my near-complete set has been driving me insane since they were released. I'd be glad to pay shipping, etc.
I'm totally serious. I'll sort them out and figure out exactly what I've got, and I should be able to complete your set.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

You got it; the imagery is of Dillon being killed by Mac.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why do the predators even have dreadlocks filled with air?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Why do the predators even have dreadlocks filled with air?

What do you mean?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

I'm not sure but its possible he's combining their actual dreadlock appendage things, and those air tubes that the Predator unhooks when it takes off its mask? Those are two completely different things but maybe he's just remembering wrong.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

I'm totally serious. I'll sort them out and figure out exactly what I've got, and I should be able to complete your set.

Id be up for a complete set if available, I still collect trading cards but am not to keen on the newer stuff they put out today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

504 posted:

Id be up for a complete set if available, I still collect trading cards but am not to keen on the newer stuff they put out today.

I might also have a spare set for the AvP movies if that's your thing, too. :v:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

It would be!

I really really miss collecting cards, from its boom in the 90's to "just buy the whole lot in one go on ebay" its not much of a hobby now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

504 posted:

It would be!

I really really miss collecting cards, from its boom in the 90's to "just buy the whole lot in one go on ebay" its not much of a hobby now.

I mess around a lot with Topps' digital Star Wars card trading app; digital trading cards sounded ultra stupid at first, but it's a neat free timewaster. They've also got similar apps for sports cards and Walking Dead cards, I think.

Anyway I'll check what I've got at home and hook you guys up, all I'd ask is that you cover the shipping cost.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I have Colin Salmon's autograph from that set. But it got bent or something. Oh well.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My highlight is a Wayne Gretzky rookie. This counts because he was in a film once.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

504 posted:

My highlight is a Wayne Gretzky rookie. This counts because he was in a film once.

I was going to PM you but it looks like you don't have PMs, shoot me an email at Xenomrph (at) Gmail.
I found the AvP and AvPR card sets, the Alien3 cards are in a huge jumble and there's what looks like 3 sets all mixed up, so it'll take a little bit to build a complete set out of the mess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh god, I bought AvP-R cards too.

I honestly would've bought Prometheus cards if I saw them. :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
drat this thread got dark!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

I think I read somewhere that Charles S Dutton was the original first choice to play Dillon in Predator but one of the producers was too racist to allow that many black guys in one film so he wasn't cast.

So instead Dillon was played by Carl Weathers, a white man.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Jean Claude Van Damme was originally cast in the role, but he found the Carl Weathers suit too stifling in the tropical heat.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So instead Dillon was played by Carl Weathers, a white man.

By the time he realized what had happened it was too far into the production to do anything about it.

Charles S Dutton managed to be the magical film negro to both Ripley and Rudy, which is pretty drat impressive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just watched the assembly cut due to this thread and while it improves the movie quite a bit it doesn't quite reach "amazing" or "great" as a couple of people have said here. killing charles dance so early will always be a pretty big error. you can't really fault the movie too much due to its hellish production tho.

i'm curious if there's a making of documentary about why they cut the golic subplot - it really makes no sense considering the lengths of the first two movies. i really liked how his subplot is a mockery of the company, only a loon would consider this monster "magnificent" or want it to be anything but dead. i love the story of creating something almost as much as the creation itself so it'd be great if someone could explain why it was cut (if it's just for runtime that's stupid) or point me in the right direction.

what's strange to me about the assembly cut is not only did they not fix some issues but they introduced one.

when the baby alien comes out of the ox why did they put a terrible cgi alien in and have it run away? there's no reason to show that - once we see its birth we know it's around. it looks really out of place (sci-fi channel level quality) and made the rod puppet look good.

speaking of the rod puppet, i never understood why they used that in the movie at all (and why the assembly cut didn't try to cut more of it out, if it cut any). there's really no need to show it running around, and at least once they used the rod puppet when it wasn't moving from a fixed position and you could've just had a guy in the suit on the ceiling.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Charles S Dutton managed to be the magical film negro to both Ripley and Rudy, which is pretty drat impressive.

He gets a great death in Mimic. He's the best character in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien 3 doc on the Blu ray set covers all of your questions.