Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My 5x feels worse than my 2014 Moto X when I A/B test it, but I don't really care when using it day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't know how old your kid is, so this is going to be different depending on the kid's age. I just got mine a phone for Pokemon Go and so far it's working out really well. I bought him the BLU R1 HD off of Amazon, which is only $60 for a brand new phone. It's got advertisements from Amazon on the lock screen, but he doesn't give a poo poo, because he just got a phone.

Anyway, my kid is only 4, so he's never out and about by himself. Which means he doesn't actually need the phone to function as a phone, more like a tiny tablet. His phone has no SIM in it, and I did not put it on any cell plan. He's always with either his dad or me, so I just turn on the hotspot on my phone and his phone connects to it via wifi and uses my data. On Tmobile tethering is free, so that doesn't cost me anything.

I don't know if that's an option for you, but if it is, it's cheap and works great. We've been out as a family playing Pokemon Go almost every day. Even if you are going to go with adding cell service to the phone, I'm pretty impressed with the BLU for the price (though you gotta get the $60 one and not the $50 one). The only real drawbacks I've noticed (which are again, not a big deal given the price) is that it doesn't have NFC, it won't detect 5G Wifi networks, and it doesn't have any kind of quick charge capability.

I do sometimes feel like maybe I'm insane for buying a smartphone for a 4 year old, but the game is a family activity for us, it's keeping us active, and it's giving me a lot of opportunities to teach him about numbers.

That does look like a nice phone. It'd probably work pretty good.

My daughter's turning nine. I wasn't going to get her a useable phone for a few more years, but some of her friends at school have phones and they give her their number and I don't let her call them on my phone. I've kind of decided I'm OK with her having a phone as long as I can monitor it closely.

T-mobile will charge me $10/mo for service to add her line to my plan. That's unlimited minutes, data and messages, not that she needs any of that. And like I'd said, if I sign up for two years, the phone is free. Hell, I'm tempted to take the new phone and give her my S4, but I don't think I'm going to do that.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
ErrorReport

I have a stock 5x that I catch downloading something called 'ErrorReport'

It never takes more than 7 seconds, and never does anything after downloading. If I long press on it, it takes me to download manager.

Is something wrong with my phone?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Battered Cankles posted:

ErrorReport

I have a stock 5x that I catch downloading something called 'ErrorReport'

It never takes more than 7 seconds, and never does anything after downloading. If I long press on it, it takes me to download manager.

Is something wrong with my phone?

Quick Google suggests it is related to an app called Bluebox Security Scanner. Uninstall it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mnemosyne posted:

On the topic of cables, I need two A-to-C cables to connect my 6P to a portable battery pack. Both the Anker and Aukey cables specifically state that they don't work with the Nexus 6P. What the gently caress is up with the 6P that makes the cables not work with them? Isn't this why we have standards?
uhhh, what? I can't imagine either those two companies putting out cables that *dont* work with the 6P.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I signed up for Android Beta on my stock Nexus 5X. I received an OTA notification immediately for the ~1.5gb update to N Preview 5. The update downloaded and began unpacking. I went to bed. When I checked later, the phone had rebooted and was still on stock 6.0.1. When I check for an update I see a flash of the Android Beta screen and then it tells me there is no update available. What happened?

Edit: got another notification today and it worked. Weird.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 30, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The HTC One X was a very nice plastic phone.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So I have a new LG G4 to replace my Galaxy S3. What's the easiest way to transfer over all my contacts and games/game saves?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

So I have a new LG G4 to replace my Galaxy S3. What's the easiest way to transfer over all my contacts and games/game saves?

Your contacts are on your Google account, right? Reinstall games you want to keep. You can't really transfer saves reliably, though you can try using an app called Helium (pretty sure it doesn't require root, but I might be wrong). If you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just got an S7, any recommendations on cases other than otterbox?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Alternative pants posted:

Spigen cases are good quality.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Alternative pants posted:

In addition to Spigen, I've used Tudia and Diztronic cases before and they've worked out pretty well. (Using a Tudia case on my S7 Edge right now.)

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Gray Matter posted:

In addition to the above suggestions, your carrier might have a utility to transfer stuff over WiFi, but ymmv on transferring app data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Your contacts are on your Google account, right? Reinstall games you want to keep. You can't really transfer saves reliably, though you can try using an app called Helium (pretty sure it doesn't require root, but I might be wrong). If you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup.
Reminder that Samsungs helpfully default Google cloud contacts to "off" in favor of their own cloud.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I fondled the Moto Z's at Best Buy a couple of days ago. Sure they are slim but the back looks and more importantly feels like something is missing... They aren't very comfortable to hold.

BB only had the projector there for some reason. It snaps to the back and comes back off pretty nicely. It vibrates when you attach it. The only problem is it jiggles a bit. I could see being unsatisfied with one of the snappy backs for that reason.

I really like the new pro layout for the camera app but I read you have to set it every time.

Yeah I have no desire to buy this.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that Samsungs helpfully default Google cloud contacts to "off" in favor of their own cloud.
I'm not sure if this is true anymore - I've had the Note 3, S6, and S7 Edge and never had to change any settings on any of them to get my contacts syncing correctly. Unless it somehow varies by carrier which wouldn't loving surprise me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EV leaks is claiming Nougat will launch on Aug 5th.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Skywalker OG posted:

I fondled the Moto Z's at Best Buy a couple of days ago. Sure they are slim but the back looks and more importantly feels like something is missing... They aren't very comfortable to hold.

BB only had the projector there for some reason. It snaps to the back and comes back off pretty nicely. It vibrates when you attach it. The only problem is it jiggles a bit. I could see being unsatisfied with one of the snappy backs for that reason.

I really like the new pro layout for the camera app but I read you have to set it every time.

Yeah I have no desire to buy this.

I had a similar experience. I mean, they are decent, but honestly you won't get WORSE support buying something like a ZTE Axon 7 for like 400$ cheaper, plus you won't be locked into Verizon. I wanted to find them at least interesting, and they are, but they aren't compelling to me in the least.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Got my Nexus 6P today, and everything just feels so fast. I love how insanely quick Okay Google is compared to the Motorola implementation. I do miss Moto's camera app though. Being able to zoom with one finger was very useful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently moved, and the trusted location isn't working as well as it used to. I have my home address set, as well as creating a location using wherever my phone thought I was while sitting in my house. Any ideas on how to get it to work more reliably?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Got my Nexus 6P today, and everything just feels so fast. I love how insanely quick Okay Google is compared to the Motorola implementation. I do miss Moto's camera app though. Being able to zoom with one finger was very useful.

While I love my 6P, I do miss Moto's "tomahawk for flashlight" and actually usable Dynamic Notifications. The fingerprint reader also seems to hate my fingerprints, but I've got lovely prints from rock climbing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
That hundred off the 6P on Newegg is awfully tempting. Maybe I should go measure my car's cupholder in the morning and see if it's a good choice for me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

While I love my 6P, I do miss Moto's "tomahawk for flashlight" and actually usable Dynamic Notifications. The fingerprint reader also seems to hate my fingerprints, but I've got lovely prints from rock climbing.

I suspect I'm going to be trying to twist-for-camera a LOT before it finally sets in that I can't do that anymore. I used that nearly every day. Double-pressing the power button does the same thing though. I won't miss chop-for-flashlight though because I could only get it to work about half the time.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The thing that bothered me the most about the 6p was that the power and volume buttons were too easy to press and my phone screen would turn on or volume would change in my pockets

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I intend to buy a Note7 and I lose cables a lot. Should I be looking at C to C cables or A to C? My motherboard is older and doesn't have a C port so I'll definitely need at least one A to C but do C chargers typically have an A or C input?

Also on that note, anyone in Canada have experience with buying USB C cables on Amazon that aren't total poo poo? I found the Google engineer's Google Docs file with ones that are good and ones that aren't but most aren't available on Amazon Canada or are crazy expensive.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm on a friend's old Galaxy Note 2 and I'm wondering if there's a budget or midrange phone that'll be an upgrade.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I was trying to unroot my S5 and now I'm stuck in a boot loop at the T-Mobile 4G LTE screen. I'm a big ol' dummy and didn't backup all my photos and stuff. Is there any way to pull the data off the phone before doing a reset, or is there a way to fix the boot loop without doing a reset?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a verizon S7.

Three time since I got it, it has frozen overnight while not charging.

It's non responsive and the screen is frozen displaying the time. Only way to revive it is to do the hard reboot, then it restarts just fine, although the battery is crazy drained. Weird considering it was frozen for the past 5 hours.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Known causes or solutions to prevent it from happening again? It happens rarely but so strange it freezes wile not being used... tia

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I suspect I'm going to be trying to twist-for-camera a LOT before it finally sets in that I can't do that anymore. I used that nearly every day. Double-pressing the power button does the same thing though. I won't miss chop-for-flashlight though because I could only get it to work about half the time.

Yeah, I liked the twist, but double tapping power is a good alternative. I never had trouble with the chop, but I know people (forums user deong) that do.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

XIII posted:

Yeah, I liked the twist, but double tapping power is a good alternative. I never had trouble with the chop, but I know people (forums user deong) that do.

gently caress. That's why I keep pulling up my camera. Can I disable this?

Vvv Thank you! vvV

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 31, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Powers posted:

gently caress. That's why I keep pulling up my camera. Can I disable this?

Under settings -> display:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Moey posted:

Apparently Blu has a new phone that just came out that isn't terrible. 99 bucks, a different version is coming in September with double the ram and storage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUFAFP8

I've been running with the Amazon subsidized R1 HD and it's a great phone other than no 5Ghz wifi... :goleft:

e: for what it's worth, it runs a hell of a lot better than my LG G4.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 31, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm back on marshmallow on my 6P. Its having a terrible time staying connected to my new garmin watch (bluetooth), and still is sometimes flaky with the car stereo (via BT). OTOH the watch is having issues staying connected to the heart rate monitor strap. Any thoughts on which is the more likely culprit?

I can swap the watch pretty easily, but the phone would require more effort and probably some money.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here's an oddity.

Nexus 7 2013, running Lollipop 5.1.1. The charge port is half-dead so I use Qi chargers, which work well enough. But starting recently, every time it connects to a Qi charger, a message pops up: "Unable to refresh language list. Check your internet connection." If I take it off for a second and put it back on, the popup happens again.

The only app I have that seems related to that message is Fleksy keyboard, but that's not even active right now. Other than uninstalling Fleksy, any way to make this stop?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just Googled it. It's Fleksy, as you suspected. Maybe there's a setting for syncing while charging?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Fleksy dev is quite responsive from what I remember, worth an email.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Once upon a time unfortunately

It got sold as far as I can tell and development stopped ages ago

All the online cloud stuff got patched out so it didn't need any servers to work

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

delfin posted:

Here's an oddity.

Nexus 7 2013, running Lollipop 5.1.1. The charge port is half-dead so I use Qi chargers, which work well enough. But starting recently, every time it connects to a Qi charger, a message pops up: "Unable to refresh language list. Check your internet connection." If I take it off for a second and put it back on, the popup happens again.

The only app I have that seems related to that message is Fleksy keyboard, but that's not even active right now. Other than uninstalling Fleksy, any way to make this stop?

How come you're not on Marshmallow?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Do we have an idea when the new Nexus phones are coming out? I know nobody really knows, I don't know if there have been any rumors lately that I haven't been following that closely. I saw some spec leaks not too long ago and I guess people are fairly confident in those. I'm definitely replacing my Nexus 6 with the bigger one when it comes out.

My biggest worry is that I didn't even realize HTC was still in business, I thought they folded like 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The LG V20 will have Nougat upon release in September. The latest Nexus phones are usually the first to ship with a new version of Android. If that's the case, then before September.

Outside of that, there still has been no concrete information.