Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

General Morden posted:

is this a phone game

Nah, Vita/PS4.

This, however, is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBgXEGr8KrU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Vaan's brother didn't die right away and fingered Basch before he died.

i always knew final fantasy was turning our youth to sinful ways. first jecht and auron, and now this

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Final Fantasy 15, the best game in the series, will be released next month

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Releasing in the same month as p5 huh? Bold

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got a good feeling

This is the way!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Oh man, didn't hear about the delay...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

voltcatfish posted:

FF is so much bigger a deal than Persona that it has nothing to worry about in that particular front.

E: Especially since P5's NA release isn't until next year and the PAL release isn't until ???

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 1, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lightning returns, the worst selling mainline ff in forever, sold like 3 times as much as the best selling persona game.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I just preordered 15 because I hate myself, but I like anime cute boys

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Tae posted:

Lightning returns, the worst selling mainline ff in forever, sold like 3 times as much as the best selling persona game.

LR is slightly under 1 million, P4G over 700k. Considering the install bases of steam/ps3 vs the Vita, that's p drat close

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I finally got around to playing Bravely Default. I've managed to avoid any spoilers or reviews beyond basic recommendations since it came out. It's great! Charming game. Went to the Pillar of Light the first time... huh, well ok, basically a boss rush with lots of optional bosses to rack up JP. Sure, let's fight everyone again and do a little grinding, master some classes. Finally go to the Pillar of Light again.

This is fuckin dumb now.

Anyone got any tips for beating the optional dragons for Lord DeRosso's sidequest?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I finally got around to playing Bravely Default. I've managed to avoid any spoilers or reviews beyond basic recommendations since it came out. It's great! Charming game. Went to the Pillar of Light the first time... huh, well ok, basically a boss rush with lots of optional bosses to rack up JP. Sure, let's fight everyone again and do a little grinding, master some classes. Finally go to the Pillar of Light again.

This is fuckin dumb now.

Anyone got any tips for beating the optional dragons for Lord DeRosso's sidequest?

They only have physical moves. At this point you should have plenty of options to nullify that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They follow a specific pattern of Eye-Attack-Attack-Eye-Attack-Attack-Eye etc.

All their attacks are physical.

Chapters 7 and 8 are the best parts of BD.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It wouldn't be surprising if most of the base that would actually buy persona already bought the vita, so you can't really assume P5 will be all that much better with a general audience.

That said, I do think P5 will sell more than previous entries. The real holdout is if FF15 can sway general audiences like SE is probably hoping with the multimedia strategy. But yeah, American delay and all that means it probably isn't going to end up a big deal anyways.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

An easy route a lot of people used was to use a team of ninjas with the red mages Turn Tables ability that would give BP for evading attacks. Keep everyone on Utsusemi and you should dodge everything and gain BP.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Physical only moves explains a lot. I was equipping elemental protection stuff and wondering why it wasn't working.

It just feels kinda dumb to have this groundhog day thing going on. I guess it's all optional but it feels like an hours-long boss rush at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Chapters 5 & 6 are kind of a waste of time outside of the last one or two jobs you can get, so don't feel bad about rushing through them. Chapter 7 though is really cool as the banter and new story bits with the asterisks are very nice, and Chapter 8 has probably the most difficult boss fights if you feel like challenging yourself.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Turn off encounters for chapters 5-8, only turn them on if/when you're grinding out class builds against high-jp monsters. You will enjoy the game a lot more.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm playing the IZJS version of XII at the moment and I'm not sure about what jobs to give my last characters. I've gone for Vaan as Hunter, Penelo as Black Mage, Balthier as White Mage and Fran as Uhlan so far. My main question is, am I going to need another character that can heal, or will that likely suffice? And if I do, what jobs would be best for Basch and Ashe? I was thinking of having Basch be a Knight but apparently he'd be kind of lovely

Wish I'd made Penelo a Red Mage :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Your current picks are already pretty balanced, Hunter has elixir 3, uhlan has the armor debuff, white/black mages are good staples. You can really go with almost anything here. I dunno why you'd think Basch would be a bad Knight, its a good pick. Samurai for Ashe is good as well. You may want another job that deals with flying enemies (machinist/archer/monk). Its not essential as you can always fill in that gap with consumables but its a nice convenience. Time Mage is a nice utility pick, mostly for the haste.

e: Oh right the main question: a white mage alone can carry the party in healing as consumables can pick up the rest of the slack. Monk is a good off-healing pick though iirc

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 2, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And Ashe makes a perfectly good Red Mage if you want one (Red Mages are really good). Both Monk and Knight get some healing magic (with the right Espers), but yeah, healing items also work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It should be noted that any difference in how good each character is at each job is marginal at best, and most of the differences don't matter if they're not level 99. For example, people say that Basch is a bad pick for knight because he has naturally high strength, so he hits the cap before level 99, and thus the extra strength is "wasted".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Quick Mobius notes:
-Graphics are amazing, but will kill a phone's battery faster than Pokemon Go. Turn down the poo poo.
-Elemental system is interesting, makes you keep track of what card to equip and use during combat.
-Sad at lack of parry option.
-The main character is sassier than Lightning in LR.
-Garland is one sarcastic motherfucker.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So this is on right now

The White Dragon posted:

Depending on, among other things, the alignment of the planets tomorrow, I'm looking for some as-long-as-you-like commentators for FF9. this is because im a dumb rear end who has learned not to toxx himself over whether or not square-enix would ever port ff9 to pc

Pretty much anyone is welcome!

It'll be the dreaded, forbidden-by-common-sense-and-etiquette Video LP of an Old-School JRPG (albeit with the Steam version speedhack). I'll be trying to host a Discord server for whoever wants to stop by. If you find that an FF9 marathon run is, in fact, not your cup of tea; or maybe you don't like the chemistry; or maybe you just gotta go do something better with your time in the middle of it, that's cool. Feel free to drop out whenever. If you just wanna stop in and say hi for twenty seconds, that's fine too!

'beef, open invitation, show up so i can give you a hard time asking you brah why haven't you streamed dragon game yet huh

no seriously, i mean maybe i'd joke around a little but that would make my frickin' day

WHAT
Final Fantasy 9!
with Mastication Intermission(s(?))
followed by
Suicide Watch

WHERE
On the internet! More specifically, Hitbox, with Discord to talk.

WHEN DOES IT START?
This Saturday, starting maybe some time around 11AM to noon-ish? This is by my reckoning, which is no longer HST. I am currently residing

somewhere within I dunno a couple hundred miles of this Mandarake. That means that for most people reading this, it will be Friday night at:
9PM to midnightish if you're on the east coast
A little earlier if you're just east of the rockies
5-7PM--early evening--if you're on the best coast
and
3-5PM--mid to late afternoon--if you, dear poor, lost soul, still need to escape the shittiest state in the union. Time to join the Get Out Of Ocean Jail Forever club.

Everyone else, uh... you're on your own :v:

Probably. Maybe it starts earlier! Maybe it starts later! It's a mysterious stream.

WHEN DOES IT END?
Well the idea is it ends when I beat Necron so you have a pretty big window to come and say hi. With the speed hack... 15? 20 hours? I sure fuckin hope it isn't more than 20 hours.

HOW TO JOIN
1) You will need Discord (https://discordapp.com/).
2) You will need to confirm your account with them, which is a process involving checking your email that I'm sure most people reading this have been no stranger to since before they were teenagers.
3) If you're new to Discord, start it up and then click this button on the left panel:

4) In the popup window it opens, choose JOIN A SERVER, which should be in green on the right side.
5) Paste this join link into the form field:
https://discord.gg/010Ipu7LmPxLrM8Ja
6) Click join. It's a direct link to the voice channel, so you'll be live!
7) Connect your mic
8) say howardsternhasasmallpenis as quickly as you can, and then hang up

DRESS CODE
Please wear headphones or something 'cause feedback suuuuuucks

POSTERITY CLAUSE
uh if it gets recorded it gets recorded, like i don't care if you run your mouth and say dumb poo poo. the whole point is for everyone to have a good time, but like if you say something your boss or your CO or your PO (i ain't judge) or fuckin whoever you know offline wouldn't appreciate the words coming out of your mouth and it gets archived, well. i'd say something like "don't say anything you wouldn't say around your abuela" but to be entirely honest, your abuela doesn't give a gently caress about lets play. i'm sorry you had to find out this way but it's true

Now if I say something I wouldn't like my boss or my CO or my PO or whoever to hear, well, I just won't post the recording then, will I :v:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

I'm playing the IZJS version of XII at the moment and I'm not sure about what jobs to give my last characters. I've gone for Vaan as Hunter, Penelo as Black Mage, Balthier as White Mage and Fran as Uhlan so far. My main question is, am I going to need another character that can heal, or will that likely suffice? And if I do, what jobs would be best for Basch and Ashe? I was thinking of having Basch be a Knight but apparently he'd be kind of lovely

Wish I'd made Penelo a Red Mage :(

If you eventually want Hastega and dislike spending lots of time farming mobs for consumables, making Ashe a Time Mage is a very good choice. Time Mage physical dps is respectable, even sometimes beating out Archer and eventually outscaling guns.

Basch as Knight works fine, though his offhealing will be sorta bleh. A very good choice for Red Mage, but if you want more physical dps Basch makes either the best or 2nd best Monk or Samurai. Even with short combos, the difference between Balthier/Basch and Ashe is non-trivial.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

It should be noted that any difference in how good each character is at each job is marginal at best, and most of the differences don't matter if they're not level 99. For example, people say that Basch is a bad pick for knight because he has naturally high strength, so he hits the cap before level 99, and thus the extra strength is "wasted".

Hitting the cap before level 99 sounds like a good thing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Corvinus posted:

If you eventually want Hastega and dislike spending lots of time farming mobs for consumables, making Ashe a Time Mage is a very good choice. Time Mage physical dps is respectable, even sometimes beating out Archer and eventually outscaling guns.

Basch as Knight works fine, though his offhealing will be sorta bleh. A very good choice for Red Mage, but if you want more physical dps Basch makes either the best or 2nd best Monk or Samurai. Even with short combos, the difference between Balthier/Basch and Ashe is non-trivial.

I'm way past the point of choosing now! I went for Basch as an Archer and Ashe as Samurai, both of which are working out very well. Shades of Black was insanely good when I first got it and it's still my biggest damage dealer, though the randomness of it can be slightly annoying at times. I'm actually a bit disappointed in Vaan as Hunter, he's pretty much been the weakest damage dealer most of the game and doesn't have much else to make him useful other than high HP.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hitting the cap before level 99 sounds like a good thing.
Its called min maxing, not min sort of high but its more convenient. Although the point is the latter is just fine for most people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, exactly. Basch is only a bad choice for knight if you want to min/max, but you don't need to do that to beat the game or even have an easy time of it.

So, pick whatever you like.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
good game bad idea holy poo poo my brain stopped being aware that i had fingers after a certain point

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Is there a "rough recommended order" for Lighting Returns? Just defeated the main Luxurion quest boss Noel and wondering where to head next.

Most walk-through type things I've found are very hand holdy. I know its quite NG plus oriented so I'm not fussed about doing EVERYTHING this run-through

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

Is there a "rough recommended order" for Lighting Returns? Just defeated the main Luxurion quest boss Noel and wondering where to head next.

Most walk-through type things I've found are very hand holdy. I know its quite NG plus oriented so I'm not fussed about doing EVERYTHING this run-through

I think the rough recommended boss order is Luxerion, Yusnaan, Dead Dunes, Wildlands, but you're expected to be hopping around and doing quests in all of them. Definitely don't try to do the zones "in order" beyond maybe the bosses; explore them all first, pick up and complete easier quests, etc. Without the extra stats from doing quests from all the areas, some of the bosses will be harder than necessary.

The White Dragon posted:

good game bad idea holy poo poo my brain stopped being aware that i had fingers after a certain point

Did you finish the whole thing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I accidentally mainlined the bosses of MQ1-4 in LR by day 4, I think with only 20 side quests and 20 board quests, just doing whatever was on the way. If you are any good at just defense or build a defense oriented schemata that can guard against most stuff even if you miss just timing, you chip away even the murderbosses people tend to think are in the Dead Dunes and Wildlands.

So yeah its totally safe to just do what feels natural in LR. Even if you don't save scum and use escape if you're having a rough time with a boss you're not going to run into timing issues.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Did you finish the whole thing?

Yes, but unfortunately, "to the best of my ability" meant that I couldn't do it in one sitting because, as I said, there was one point where I thought "ok press O" and my hands were like "???"

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Oh boy, so I've been playing through FFT on my iPhone again and I forgot about the Wiegraf 1v1 fight. I think I've managed to save-gently caress myself, but I figured I'd ask here before restarting my game:

So I'm stuck in a save point just prior to the Wiegraf duel at Riovanes, so I can't return to the overworld to train/buy stuff. My Ramza doesn't have the JP/abilities necessary to pull off the Tailwind/Focus strategy, nor the Dragoon strategy. I don't have Chameleon Robes or Float boots, and I'm not high enough level to just brute force my way past him. I was working towards getting Ramza to Ninja for Two Swords, but haven't made it there yet. So I'm kinda not sure what else I could try. Have I saved my way into an unbeatable game? Wiegraf has no chill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just pick which of these things you like best: dungeon crawling (desert) chocobos (wildlands) or A KICKIN RAD PARTY WOO (yusnaan)

bosses get tougher when you're halfway through the time limit so it's balanced around being done in whatever order you want

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh boy, so I've been playing through FFT on my iPhone again and I forgot about the Wiegraf 1v1 fight. I think I've managed to save-gently caress myself, but I figured I'd ask here before restarting my game:

So I'm stuck in a save point just prior to the Wiegraf duel at Riovanes, so I can't return to the overworld to train/buy stuff. My Ramza doesn't have the JP/abilities necessary to pull off the Tailwind/Focus strategy, nor the Dragoon strategy. I don't have Chameleon Robes or Float boots, and I'm not high enough level to just brute force my way past him. I was working towards getting Ramza to Ninja for Two Swords, but haven't made it there yet. So I'm kinda not sure what else I could try. Have I saved my way into an unbeatable game? Wiegraf has no chill.

yeah

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

corn in the bible posted:

Just pick which of these things you like best: dungeon crawling (desert) chocobos (wildlands) or A KICKIN RAD PARTY WOO (yusnaan)

bosses get tougher when you're halfway through the time limit so it's balanced around being done in whatever order you want

The exception to this is that the boss of the Wildlands does not scale with time. So if this boss is too hard for you when you first arrive, you can come back after doing the rest of the main quest and they will be no more difficult.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Heads up, tomorrow is International Rikku Day.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God gently caress the loving Al Bhed Psyches and their totally bullshit team of minmaxed OP bullshit players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Do you have/can you get Auto-potion? A powerful nuke like Holy or Flare? There's a move-find Chameleon Robe hidden in the fight, but that requires you to use Move-Find Item and Equip Change, on a class that can wear robes and survive long enough to put it on and win the fight.

Man, never ever using a single save is like FFT advice #1.