Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man, what the hell. Is the 2500k/2600k so old now? I'm running with a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, and 16GB of (slow) RAM, I'm not getting results like that from my 1070.

i'm on a 6600k and i'm not getting results like that either, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Man, what the hell. Is the 2500k/2600k so old now? I'm running with a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, and 16GB of (slow) RAM, I'm not getting results like that from my 1070.

I linked this in the PC building thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

So still a good processor, but could start bottlenecking you a bit if you have a 144Hz monitor and a really good graphics card.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm debating grabbing the Fury Nitro off of Amazon for $350 and being done with it. The 480 stock is apparently tied up in real world minecraft. I'm hoping Amazon dips the price down to $300 as a result of Reddit brigading them with price matches, but who knows? The 4GB of RAM is worrying, but I'm at 2560x1080 so it may not be a huge issue. Would 4GB be that big of an issue at that res?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm on some lowly 1333mhz which some recent-ish benchmark videos do indicate it matters more than back when this stuff was new. There doesn't seem to be a lot of hard numbers on Sandy nowadays besides a shitload of IT'S FINE LIKE 3% DIFFERENCE google results (I haven't kept up with the parts megathread), been tough to find some clear justifications indicators that I should upgrade. Soo maybe this anecdote will help some folks. My 2500k has been great in most cases, but after running through a bunch of games to see what they look like with a 1080 I can tell ya it's not enough to hold really solid 100+ fps at 1440p and most settings to save performance are more for the GPU side of things so tinkering with settings isn't that helpful. Worst offenders I've had to try turning settings down a bit to smooth out <100fps and see 100% CPU/60-85% GPU: BF4, SWBfront, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Elite Dangerous, Crysis 3. It's not that big of an issue, but it feels like a waste to have a fancy new GPU that isn't being fully used and to be so close to my perf target. Not to mention I'm now dealing with poo poo like ROTTR crapping out from 8 gigs of system RAM not being enough to handle loading the ultra textures (LOL at my setup running out of system RAM before VRAM yes that's with no browsers or anything open) and not being able to have like anything on my second monitor while gaming from the RAM and CPU turning everything into a stuttery mess.

Phlegmish posted:

I linked this in the PC building thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

So still a good processor, but could start bottlenecking you a bit if you have a 144Hz monitor and a really good graphics card.

Fedit yeahhh I was looking for this! And here's a good vid for some more numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sx1kLGVAF0 Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K vs 4790K/3770K/2600K 4.4GHz Overclock Gaming Benchmarks

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Obviously the best move is to sell your Sandy bridge to some sucker for $50 less than you paid retail, and upgrade to a 5820K. That way you move forward both in IPC and core count :eng101:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
that's not a bad idea but the extra cores are kinda pointless, I'd go with a 6500k personally with some nice fast RAM

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's a single slot half height Polaris 11 card :woop:

...it's the firepro WX4100 with a $400 price tag :negative:

.....go _onnnnnnn_.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I just got an email from Newegg stating that they will have details forthcoming regarding a class action lawsuit pertaining to my purchase of a GTX 960. Part of the 970 lawsuit or did some band of 960 owners get together already wanting some slice of the pie after the 970 refunds started?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Gonkish posted:

I'm debating grabbing the Fury Nitro off of Amazon for $350 and being done with it. The 480 stock is apparently tied up in real world minecraft. I'm hoping Amazon dips the price down to $300 as a result of Reddit brigading them with price matches, but who knows? The 4GB of RAM is worrying, but I'm at 2560x1080 so it may not be a huge issue. Would 4GB be that big of an issue at that res?

I am glad I picked up a used r9 390x for $200 instead of continuing the 480 poo poo waiting game. I undervolted my card by -75 mV and now it runs cooler and more efficient. Maybe in the future the rx 480 will outperform the 390x but right now the 390x beats it handily and I only need 6-9 months out of it anyway before Vega.

Didnt the R9 Fury pop up on Newegg for $300 again recently? The 4GB of memory scales better at higher resolutions than the RX 480. HBM compresses the amount of vram used.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html

At $300 its a better buy imo and the power draw can be offset by undervolting the card.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My 970 is getting trounced by Project Cars with Vive VR. Everything is at the lowest setting but whenever I join a race with more than 3 cars the framerate drops below 90 and I get that terrible stuttering. I'm convinced that I'll have to replace it with a 1080 to actually enjoy higher settings and smooth frame rates. Every other game runs fine, but then again every other VR game looks like rear end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

owl_pellet posted:

I just got an email from Newegg stating that they will have details forthcoming regarding a class action lawsuit pertaining to my purchase of a GTX 960. Part of the 970 lawsuit or did some band of 960 owners get together already wanting some slice of the pie after the 970 refunds started?

I got one about the 980, and I didn't even buy a 980.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

I got one about the 980, and I didn't even buy a 980.

Yeah I got one about a 980 too, that wasn't even part of the lawsuit :confused:

Well, not that'd I'd mind. Combining 970's and 980's I have quite a few refunds heading my way. I had assumed it was limited to 1 per person but the wording suggests otherwise.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I haven't done it myself, but I'm planning for a 1070 myself so I ran across that Overwatch benchmark. It was actually 135 min / 142 avg on Ultra, so you could probably lock in 144 with some tweaking or overclocking? They were using a 6600K w/ DDR4-3000 as well.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/page2.html

To be honest I think they got these "benchmark" results in the practice grounds or something - performance in Overwatch varies pretty significantly based on the map you're in.

I have a 6600k / GTX 1080 @ 1440p and while it runs at the benchmarked 170+ fps in certain areas, I dropped into 130s on maps like Nepal. Preventing dips below 144 requires tweaking some stuff from default Ultra settings.

The one thing to make sure of is that you're on 1x scaling and not 1.25x or something, that setting is extremely pointless and destroys your performance

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fast sync is loving incredible.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I haven't done it myself, but I'm planning for a 1070 myself so I ran across that Overwatch benchmark. It was actually 135 min / 142 avg on Ultra, so you could probably lock in 144 with some tweaking or overclocking?
From what I've read Overwatch is more CPU dependent. Google around for it but if you're trying to get a stable 144 fps on an i5 good luck.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaulC posted:

To be honest I think they got these "benchmark" results in the practice grounds or something - performance in Overwatch varies pretty significantly based on the map you're in.

I have a 6600k / GTX 1080 @ 1440p and while it runs at the benchmarked 170+ fps in certain areas, I dropped into 130s on maps like Nepal. Preventing dips below 144 requires tweaking some stuff from default Ultra settings.

The one thing to make sure of is that you're on 1x scaling and not 1.25x or something, that setting is extremely pointless and destroys your performance

I'm comparing to my framerate testing in the practice grounds :shrug:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah I'm on some lowly 1333mhz which some recent-ish benchmark videos do indicate it matters more than back when this stuff was new. There doesn't seem to be a lot of hard numbers on Sandy nowadays besides a shitload of IT'S FINE LIKE 3% DIFFERENCE google results (I haven't kept up with the parts megathread), been tough to find some clear justifications indicators that I should upgrade. Soo maybe this anecdote will help some folks. My 2500k has been great in most cases, but after running through a bunch of games to see what they look like with a 1080 I can tell ya it's not enough to hold really solid 100+ fps at 1440p and most settings to save performance are more for the GPU side of things so tinkering with settings isn't that helpful. Worst offenders I've had to try turning settings down a bit to smooth out <100fps and see 100% CPU/60-85% GPU: BF4, SWBfront, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Elite Dangerous, Crysis 3. It's not that big of an issue, but it feels like a waste to have a fancy new GPU that isn't being fully used and to be so close to my perf target. Not to mention I'm now dealing with poo poo like ROTTR crapping out from 8 gigs of system RAM not being enough to handle loading the ultra textures (LOL at my setup running out of system RAM before VRAM yes that's with no browsers or anything open) and not being able to have like anything on my second monitor while gaming from the RAM and CPU turning everything into a stuttery mess.

Fedit yeahhh I was looking for this! And here's a good vid for some more numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sx1kLGVAF0 Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K vs 4790K/3770K/2600K 4.4GHz Overclock Gaming Benchmarks

Digital Foundry have a ton of useful videos. They always deliver. Your RAM speed is no doubt holding you back, too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....go _onnnnnnn_.
"Radeon Pro", it and the 5100 and 7100 was announced with the SSG one, but I haven't seen anything about pricing other than $10k for the SSG and "under $1000" for the 7100.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's a single slot half height Polaris 11 card :woop:

...it's the firepro WX4100 with a $400 price tag :negative:

I bet it's full Polaris 11 at least, vs the cut-down RX 460. I was really disappointed to see the shader count on the 460.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

japtor posted:

"Radeon Pro", it and the 5100 and 7100 was announced with the SSG one, but I haven't seen anything about pricing other than $10k for the SSG and "under $1000" for the 7100.

I know, I'm just teasing AS, because it's actually right up my alley. I've got a few lower-spec CAD rigs at the office that could use inexpensive video card upgrades to keep them trotting along instead of chugging.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
^^^^^ heh you're one of the people that originally posted about the cards right?

Twerk from Home posted:

I bet it's full Polaris 11 at least, vs the cut-down RX 460. I was really disappointed to see the shader count on the 460.
It is, according to Anandtech's story on the announcement.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah I got one about a 980 too, that wasn't even part of the lawsuit :confused:

Well, not that'd I'd mind. Combining 970's and 980's I have quite a few refunds heading my way. I had assumed it was limited to 1 per person but the wording suggests otherwise.

Actually a few different cards got tacked on due to the similarity in the cases.

http://blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oddly enough, it seems that every time a 480 comes in stock it's sold out 8 minutes afterwards. I wonder if that's just a peculiarity of how nowinstock tracks stuff, or how frequently the various retailers update stock or whatever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Actually a few different cards got tacked on due to the similarity in the cases.

http://blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/

404'd.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

poo poo. Page basically had this and the cards included:

quote:

Class action lawsuits are funny proceedings–not funny, haha, but funny, odd. This is certainly the case with the class-action lawsuit brought against NVIDIA. The settlement announcement came out on July 29 and, hold the phone, the list includes a lot more products than GTX 970.

According to a member of our in-house legal team, this happens a lot with class-action lawsuits. Similar lawsuits get bunched together as a matter of convenience and speed for the courts. So, somewhere along the line, a lot of products outside of the GTX 970 were added.

• GTX 980, 970, 960
  • R9 Fury, R9 Nano
  • R9 390X, 390, 380X, 380, 290X, 270X
  • HD 7950, 7970 Mac Pro version

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
RX 480's are in stock at newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150772

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

$270 for a Reference 480 now? Christ.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm just waiting for that shorty EVGA Superclocked 1060 to come back in stock. Pls hurry, newegg :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah. It does come factory over clocked but I'm so sick of waiting for my Amazon Sapphire Nitro order to move along that I said screw it and ordered it.I'm coming from an R9 380 2 GB so I should see good performance gains. I don't really over clock so it'll be fine.

Right? :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
New Steam Hardware Survey results:

I remember the 200-series AMD cards were rated higher last time. Also, the 10x0s aren't on the list at all yet.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

Supply and demand.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The best is that powercolor one for $318 MSRP. $12 away from the 970 MSRP and nearly probably all the performance

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember the 200-series AMD cards were rated higher last time. Also, the 10x0s aren't on the list at all yet.

TIL AMD released 8800 series cards

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hynix HBM2 is go: 4GB stacks to be available Q3.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10527/sk-hynix-adds-hbm2-4-gb-memory-q3

Please remember that HBM2 is also physically larger than HBM1 areal-wise, so no, last gen's Fury would not be able to come back with a drop-in replacement of 16 GB of HBM2. Maybe 8 GB at the most, if you shifted the 300-series silicon off to the side and used the freed-up space to put down two stacks of HBM2.

Also remember that Nvidia used Samsung-produced HBM2 for their products, in the same capacity.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

TIL AMD released 8800 series cards

Laptop and OEM discrete GPUs.

e: And I think some of the APUs had 8000 series chips.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
As I promised earlier, this is about 5 minutes of Overwatch at 1440p at max graphics settings but resolution scaling at 100%

GTX 1070 @ 1987 mhz and 9600 mhz memory

6600k at 4.6 ghz

Edit: DDR4 at 2400 mhz

Average is 120 fps

Very good 1% and 0.1% time I must say

This is online on the egypt map

edit: removed my 120fps framecap (woops) but it turned out to be the same basic numbers. This game was a little more intense

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 2, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

cat doter posted:

what's the clock speed on the RAM too? in CPU restricted scenarios memory bandwidth becomes important and can restrict your framerates even further

if you're on like 1333mhz that's probably affecting your frame rate potential too

I mean I used to think RAM speed was pointless but I recently moved from 1333mhz RAM and a stock i5 3570k to 2133mhz RAM and the i5 3570k at 4.4ghz and many games (not synthetic tests) gained as much as 20% more performance, it was kind of nuts

Did you do any before/after numbers with CPU speed the same? I'm trying to get as much life out of my 3570k system as possible and was thinking of upgrading my DDR31600 stuff to 2400. CPU may not be able to handle that high but it means I can tighten timings at 2133.

I tried doing some searching for benchmarks but the most recent ones I found were from November 2014 so almost two years ago, but they seem to indicate not much difference: http://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games?page=2

Have things changed with newer games / the newer cards?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sapphire RX480 Nitro OC+ just came in stock on newegg. I got one! Grab it quick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

EDIT: Holy poo poo, nevermind, it's ALREADY out of stock. I guess I got lucky.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 2, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

At the $280 price point, why not just get a 1060? Unless you have a freesync monitor. I'd probably consider the 4GB Sapphire Nitro since it's only a smidge above the MSRP.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1080/1070 and the RX480 are on the list if you use the DX12-only survey. Signs are pointing the former is massively outselling the latter so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

AMD's predicament over past few years in GPUs can be summed up as their number #1 seller of all HD7950/7970 variants sold till date since Dec 2011 are barely outpacing a $650 MSRP 980 Ti.

It's pretty mindblowing how a 3.3GHz Skylake with DDR4-2666 is able to beat a 4.6GHz 2500K DDR3-1600 by 20% in Witcher 3. That's like a 67% IPC advantage for Skylake at ~1/3 the CPU power consumption for somewhere like ~300% perf/Watt, but no, there's hasn't been any real progress in CPUs for 5 years according to 2500K diehards because laptops and servers don't exist.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I guess I'm a 2500k "diehard" then because I'm still running one.

Those (not insignificant) gains come at the cost of a new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU but the gap can be mostly closed by overclocking a graphics card or spending more on a faster card. Not to mention the effort of gutting a case, buying and re-installing OS (because your key isn't good anymore after you change out those components!) means its far less likely to happen when people want to :pcgaming: rather than just swap something out of a PCI-E slot.

My upgrading is an inevitablity - all the literature and bechmarks out there like you just posted confirming that game engines are indeed benefiting from increased system memory bandwidth is encouraging. In particular, I'm waiting for higher DDR4 speeds to be natively supported and the price/capacity of PCI-E storage to go down.

E: Hmm now that I've thought about it, every time I've done a full system upgrade, it was going to a new type of RAM (PC-133 -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3) and only after the prices for them had gotten uncrazy.

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 2, 2016