Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I logged in to watch netflix and sg is so lonely and no one is playing overwatch either :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Everyone is playing pokemon go now, get with the times.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

Everyone is playing pokemon go now, get with the times.

That is antithetical to all that video gaming should be.

that is, something to do while watching netflix

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just get two phones, drat poors.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Even worse, the thread is down to 5 posts a day and they're all about Tamagotchis.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Erdricks posted:

I logged in to watch netflix and sg is so lonely and no one is playing overwatch either :wtc:

I'm on Eve... my soul is gone.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How do the "Grants <skill> at level X" abilities on items work? Some skills when you add point increase from the level it was granted at (ie. granted at 4+1 point=level 5 total). Others you have a pump a shitload of points into before they start increasing in level.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
If you are granted a skill, you do not benefit from +ranks to it.

If you are leveling, you will find a lot of gear that gives you skills that you cannot use at your level. When you reach that level, investing max points will get you higher skill level than the grant.

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!

Orgophlax posted:

How do the "Grants <skill> at level X" abilities on items work? Some skills when you add point increase from the level it was granted at (ie. granted at 4+1 point=level 5 total). Others you have a pump a shitload of points into before they start increasing in level.

this means that Unleash Phoenix will be 35 as long as you don't have MORE than 35 points from power points + ranks from other pieces of gear. If you have more than 35 (20 points in the power + 15 from other pieces of gear), it does nothing.

These add ranks to those powers.

The cap for powers is 50, and you can only reach that by having a full 20 points into that power and +30 from gear. You can't gain more than 30 to a power from gear. For instance, if you have 18 points into a power and have 32 +ranks from gear, it doesn't make it 50, it makes it 48

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

ransome posted:

this means that Unleash Phoenix will be 35 as long as you don't have MORE than 35 points from power points + ranks from other pieces of gear. If you have more than 35 (20 points in the power + 15 from other pieces of gear), it does nothing.

OK I get this part. Here's my specific example:

I have gear that grants a power at rank 11. I have 3 other pieces that give +1 ranks to all powers, and one +1 to the skill branch that power is in (for a total of +4). If I reset my points, it shows rank 11. The first 5 points I put into it do nothing, only after the 6th does it start going up in ranks. I'm not understand why it works that way.

EDIT: And I have another that's grants at rank 3. It shows as 3 when I reset my points. If I add 1 point it jumps to 5, then goes up by 1 with each point after that. This should only get a +3 as it's not in the same skill branch as the previous power.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 1, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Are you sure you're not missing another +1 bonus somewhere? Those examples check out fine assuming, respectively, a +5/+4 bonus to the power in question.

If you're granted a power at a fixed rank, the power will be that level unless the sum of power points you've invested in it plus any flat bonuses to ranks from equipment etc. exceeds that level.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 1, 2016

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!

Orgophlax posted:

OK I get this part. Here's my specific example:

I have gear that grants a power at rank 11. I have 3 other pieces that give +1 ranks to all powers, and one +1 to the skill branch that power is in (for a total of +4). If I reset my points, it shows rank 11. The first 5 points I put into it do nothing, only after the 6th does it start going up in ranks. I'm not understand why it works that way.

EDIT: And I have another that's grants at rank 3. It shows as 3 when I reset my points. If I add 1 point it jumps to 5, then goes up by 1 with each point after that. This should only get a +3 as it's not in the same skill branch as the previous power.

It sounds like you have other pieces of gear granting +ranks, such as your amulet, ring, insignia, pet or artifact(s).

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

What's funny and typical is that every other Marvel game out is doing something for Gwenpool in August and this game hasn't announced anything or even alluded to anything for her.

That's good. Gwenpool is like weapons grade cringe. Throw it in the trash and set the trash can on fire.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

I'm on Eve... my soul is gone.

Is Eve a low effort game?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Play Marvel Heroes
During promotional times
Forget you own it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Why was everyone hyped over Ultimate Alliance, a PS2-era game, and then angry when the port sucked? Was it super-fun or something?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

punchymcpunch posted:

Even worse, the thread is down to 5 posts a day and two of them are Frank

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pierson posted:

Why was everyone hyped over Ultimate Alliance, a PS2-era game, and then angry when the port sucked? Was it super-fun or something?

I enjoyed playing through each of them once in co-op on borrowed ps3 copies. I wouldn't mind doing so again, once I can pick up the pair for $10 in a Steam sale. $10 is about all I'll pay for an upscaled 10 year old game.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

They were a bit like Diablo with Marvel characters, which is a great idea for a game. Also you recruit Blade by grabbing him out of a claw grabber machine.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Is Eve a low effort game?

It is... after you spend time learning.

If you aren't in the OW thread, you are missing gems like this:

Gibbering Madness posted:

Did deathplague start playing this game?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

punchymcpunch posted:

They were a bit like Diablo with Marvel characters, which is a great idea for a game. Also you recruit Blade by grabbing him out of a claw grabber machine.

and Dr. Strange can turn bad guys into boxes

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
I logged in to this game and punchy and I were the only ones playing. That's one more than overwatch at least

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I played OW last night. Got a triple kill POTG and logged off.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Ryolnir going to Blizzard is great. That's the only studio that puts out heroes slower than Gaz.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

Psikotik posted:

Ryolnir going to Blizzard is great. That's the only studio that puts out heroes slower than Gaz.

Omfg i thought this was a joke. Makes sense why overwatch is offish relegated to "dead game" status. This guy is the poo poo midas of video games folks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Psikotik posted:

ahahahhaha. failing upwards really is a thing.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

ahahahhaha. failing upwards really is a thing.

It's that simple. It's why NFL coaches can fail year after year and still find work easily. Once you're in, you're in BABAY!!

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Omfg i thought this was a joke. Makes sense why overwatch is offish relegated to "dead game" status. This guy is the poo poo midas of video games folks.

He's the new community manager for hots esports

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Ajax posted:

Didn't he get promoted out of community manager at gaz to some kind of production role?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I logged in to this game and punchy and I were the only ones playing. That's one more than overwatch at least
Woah, that's twice as many as when I was on last night. The game is back!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Ajax posted:

HOTS esports is a shitshow so this makes more sense than you would expect

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I quit playing the game because I had a million uniques clogging up my inventory, omega points were far too grindy, and I can't play as MODOK. :colbert:

Sauron would be alright too since he'd probably play as a cross of rogue and emma frost.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Future Fight has MODOK. Owns.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Wow, congratulations Ryan O'Hotdog, on getting a job at a slightly better garbage company. In a couple of years I hope he goes to CIG as New Moneyhat Guy, and then in 2021 he can move to Iceland and kill Eve off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha we're going to pretend Blizzard is bad now?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Aphrodite posted:

Heh its easy to make a good game, why dont you try making a bad game Blizzard if you are so good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This thread loves a bad game.

If half this thread temporarily quits to go binge themselves on a Blizzard game it is ipso facto a bad game qed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Last good game blizzard released: Brood War :colbert:

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Last good game blizzard released: Brood War :colbert:

that's not how you spell The Lost Vikings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

That's not how you spell Rock n' Roll Racing!

• Locked thread