Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

IUG posted:

Frank looked so drat grumpy to be there. There segment was good, but it almost felt like he didn't want to be there.

Yeah, I thought so too. He didn't really joke around outside the riffs or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Did we watch the same show? He joked about always looking old right after coming on stage and Trace had to drag him off after their short because he was goofing around with the audience.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Frank seemed a little anxious or nervous at first, but by the time they were doing the grand finales he seemed a lot more comfortable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Officer Farva posted:

I went and watched at a theater last night. The sound wasn't on for the opening of the movie, but they caught it in time to turn it on before Mike, Bill, and Kevin came out. It was no big deal, but then halfway through the last short, the sound cut out again and the lights came on. It was pretty goddamn annoying. What was even more annoying is that I was two rows from the top and literally nobody made a movie to go and tell somebody, so I finally jumped up and ran down to tell them. Like, were they just going to sit there until the movie was over? I really hate people.

In KC we were delayed by a full half hour. I couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening because the only two personnel were cleaning staff and one of them even made an announcement where it was clear he had no idea what was even going on, but fortunately when it started they just time-delayed us so we saw the whole thing not-live, and then they gave us passes afterwards.

Granted that means I have to think about coming back. I'm not sure if it actually is a terrible theater or if I've just been spoiled by the Drafthouse.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Went to the show last night and was blown away with how good and funny it was. I haven't watched MST3k for some time and never watched any RiffTrax but man these guys are just getting better with age, especially Corbett. I'll definitely be going to future live events and I think it's time to start buying files from their site.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Favorite moment of the night was in the AFL-CIO barber/hairdresser short. Towards the end of the short, the poor hairdresser they kept making Frankenstein references at turned and smiled directly at the camera, then sheepishly changed his expression and kind of sauntered backwards.

Speaking of that AFL-CIO short, there was a whole series of them that were syndicated on television back in the 60s. I've seen one other about people who make baby dolls. Its much more straightforward but filled with horrifying imagery.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not sure if it actually is a terrible theater or if I've just been spoiled by the Drafthouse.
Most theaters are terrible by and large (speciality/repertory places like Drafthouse and Sundance excepted) and don't bother to do any prep for special events because they're understaffed and their focus is completely on concessions, not movies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Repeating everyone else here. Great show, Frank and Trace's short was the standout, and Jonah did surprisingly well!

With Jonah in particular, the best thing he shown that night was an ability play off his co-riffer. If he can bring that to the show proper, it would go a long way in capturing the sprit of the original.

Speaking of the revival, do we know if Patton Oswalt is still attached? I mean, I love him and his humor, but given recent events, I wouldn't blame him if he took a break from show biz :smith:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress killed that worker?

If this is the one I'm thinking of with the "mushroom head", part of the chisel's aforementioned end exploded from the impact into his chest.

I think.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Unlucky7 posted:

Repeating everyone else here. Great show, Frank and Trace's short was the standout, and Jonah did surprisingly well!

With Jonah in particular, the best thing he shown that night was an ability play off his co-riffer. If he can bring that to the show proper, it would go a long way in capturing the sprit of the original.

Speaking of the revival, do we know if Patton Oswalt is still attached? I mean, I love him and his humor, but given recent events, I wouldn't blame him if he took a break from show biz :smith:

Yeah, I thought it was weird they didn't have Felicia Day or Patton Oswalt there. I figure Oswalt's out because of recent things, but I thought it was odd Day wasn't there (not a complaint).

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I don't think they invited the entire staff of the new show, just the new guy and Joel.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Jonah. I didn't realize he's a loving giant. Frank and Trace kick rear end. I was taken aback by how much Trace and Bill really do sound alike because when Bill became Crow I was really put off back in the day. I turned out really loving his Crow so I'm hoping I will like Jonah's hosting too.

I saw it live and it was fun. Had a photo taken with a decent Dr Forrester and Joel cosplay as well as a Master and Torgo.

One thing I wish is there was a tad less Bridget and more Mary Jo. But it's fine because the show was fantastic. I just really like Mary Jo and I like her riffs with some of the guys better.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What were the free giveaways this time around?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do you mean the rt.com/word ones, or the one you get if you send an email to Surprises?

Before I post all the fourty-four preroll images, is there anything I should know about posting them here? I've shrunk 'em down, but posting 44 images in-line seems like it'll cause Bad Things.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just put 'em all in an imgur gallery and toss the link to it in the thread?

Also yeah that was a brilliant show. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but I've always loved the old crazy shorts more than the movies, so this was basically perfect.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Fair enough.

http://imgur.com/a/ooeKd/

My favorites:

(this one got booed by some really fat dudes)

(I love this one because my favorite podcast, the goon-run This Was Rad just covered it, and both it and HDTGM mentioned this very thing)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What were the emails/links this time? I forgot to take pics.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Do you mean the rt.com/word ones, or the one you get if you send an email to Surprises?

Both. I missed out of this showing and I'll probably miss out on the showing next month unless my body breaks down forcing me to quit work before I was ready to quit work.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RandomPauI posted:

Both. I missed out of this showing and I'll probably miss out on the showing next month unless my body breaks down forcing me to quit work before I was ready to quit work.
I guessed the word for the Reunion Show in two tries, I trust you can figure it out

Nothing notable though unless you like PDFs of webcomics

Looking forward to catching the encore since I was busy this week

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Looks like they're adding a DVD or Blu-ray of the reunion show to the reward packages at $100 and higher. I'm not seeing the physical discs mentioned on the kickstarter page, but the preorder page says that "$100+ will also receive a DVD or Blu-ray!"

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It was always there.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I must have missed it. Anyway, yay, the reunion show was great.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The RiffTrax app now connects to your account! Hooray!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CaptainYesterday posted:

Must be the Android version, as the IOS version still the lovely old version.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CaptainYesterday posted:

I have an android phone and downloaded the app. It did ask me to log on to my account but it didn't seem to matter? The app is pretty bad. Really dark for some reason and not very user friendly.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

MrMidnight posted:

I have an android phone and downloaded the app. It did ask me to log on to my account but it didn't seem to matter? The app is pretty bad. Really dark for some reason and not very user friendly.

It's horrendous. It's not using native OS controls (Maybe it's HTML?), runs pretty slow, looks bad, and it can't find my purchases on any device I've tried it on. And while it's nice to have a syncing app, it would be cool to watch VOD content directly through it too. One day :(

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me, Starship Troopers is the height of rifftrax so far, was waiting for them to do that one, they nailed it. Aeon Flux is an underrated one I think. For low-budget riffs those David Carradine Future Force ones are amazing. Random post, love rifftrax. For mst3k and rifftrax the 80s and 90s movie stuff is some of my favorite. Hobgoblins for mst3k etc. The 80s and 90s were a magical time for cheese on film.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Heavy Metal posted:

For me, Starship Troopers is the height of rifftrax so far, was waiting for them to do that one, they nailed it. Aeon Flux is an underrated one I think. For low-budget riffs those David Carradine Future Force ones are amazing. Random post, love rifftrax. For mst3k and rifftrax the 80s and 90s movie stuff is some of my favorite. Hobgoblins for mst3k etc. The 80s and 90s were a magical time for cheese on film.

Starship Troopers was worth the Kickstarter just for

"You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."
"Ah, my wedding vows!"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How is the new short?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Starship Troopers was worth the Kickstarter just for

"You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."
"Ah, my wedding vows!"

"I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just bought a shitton of VODs and shorts for the anniversary sale. I'm so glad that these guys landed on their feet (after having some crazy adventures like Timmybighands along the way) after MST3k got cancelled and kept on doing what they were great at.

http://www.rifftrax.com/ten

Sale's still on for a few hours more.

Picked up

time chasers live
On Guard: Bunko
Campbells soup
Death Promise
Miami Connection
Cyber Tracker
Samurai Cop (ok I have a weakness for bad martial arts movies)
Was able to finally find the Star Wars Holiday special VOD on their site, since I bought the riff only mp3 earlier it didn't show up for me.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just passing along some info from the MST3k thread:

The show is coming to Netflix for the new seasons, all the riffs are done, and Mary Jo, Bill, and Kevin are set to appear as Pearl, Bobo, and Observer!

Also Mary Jo and Bill are writing!

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 24, 2016

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Speaking of Mary Jo and Bridget, just watched Life in the Suburbs, which is like a 20-minute ad for Redbook. At the time, it's pitched as a magazine for young adults, but it's all over the map. Including flashbacks to the war and internment camps!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for reminding me about it! I used to watch it and the relaxing/consuming woman shorts all the time.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
I never really understood why the MST3K cast were not willing to come together? I looked it up a few times but it was all hear say and conjecture. I just assumed Joel was a dick and quit, and Mike took up the slack. Money for sure because or the rights of the show. Joel was a founder though, with more time I have come to appreciate him as Mikes equals, and in a certain light better. From what I read he was not the problem at all. Anyway I hope they can all buy a tricked out VW bus of their own now and have a speaker setup that calls everybody "Big McLargeHuge, with a la,la,la" and various other Blast HardCheese nick names at the local foundry, fire department, and sewage plant that lets you know you too can be buff and outsmart a handrail death.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only bad blood is between Jim Mallon and the rest of the cast. Joel quit because Mallon was making his life hell and he was never comfortable in front of the camera in the first place.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Joel didn't react to fame very well and that's evident by how quickly he got freaked out by fan sites and such in the early days of the Internet:

http://everything2.com/title/The+Gizmocrat

But honestly I think conflict with Mallon (who everyone seems to hate) over creative control really sealed the deal.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

grahf987 posted:

I never really understood why the MST3K cast were not willing to come together? I looked it up a few times but it was all hear say and conjecture. I just assumed Joel was a dick and quit, and Mike took up the slack. Money for sure because or the rights of the show. Joel was a founder though, with more time I have come to appreciate him as Mikes equals, and in a certain light better. From what I read he was not the problem at all. Anyway I hope they can all buy a tricked out VW bus of their own now and have a speaker setup that calls everybody "Big McLargeHuge, with a la,la,la" and various other Blast HardCheese nick names at the local foundry, fire department, and sewage plant that lets you know you too can be buff and outsmart a handrail death.
I can't speak for Joel, and don't want to downplay the complexity of the situation, but from hearing him speak and watching him answer people's questions about the topic, two things kinda stand out to me. He is not interested in drama of any kind, and that is partly why we mostly have hearsay and conjecture about why he left the show. The other aspect is branding. In the 90s, he didn't want to get branded as "The guy from MST3K," and when he circled back around to do Cinematic Titanic, he was clearly trying to hit a different niche than Rifftrax.

That being said, the lines have been become blurred, and no matter the exact reason, he is obviously ready to be fully immersed again in Rifftrax & MST3K.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The next RiffTrax Live show leaked.

Carnival of Souls on October 27.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Canned Panda posted:

I look forward to keyboard noodling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Canned Panda posted:

Mike's done that one before, so there's a good chance we'll get a download, too.

• Locked thread