Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm surprised we didn't get more mileage out of that reddit poster who's getting free food, housing, and allowance so that he can build a savings

... and isn't maxing his 401k/IRA
... and is going to spend half of his non-retirement net worth on a car
... is probably p fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The worst part was that he already owns a car that's paid off in full.

It's fine if he doesn't want to move out and his parents are cool with him staying and not paying rent, they're probably hoping they can set him up well for the future. To then go and buy a 23k car is a slap in the face.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nitrox posted:

Civilized places only. Detroit don't count

lol, living in Detroit is pretty BWM unless you're gonna buy a house to rehab (and even then, yeah wouldn't recommend it). Rent downtown is north of $2/sqft these days.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm surprised we didn't get more mileage out of that reddit poster who's getting free food, housing, and allowance so that he can build a savings

... and isn't maxing his 401k/IRA
... and is going to spend half of his non-retirement net worth on a car
... is probably p fat

I mean honestly he might retire with 20% more at 65 but he'll be too old and decrepit to do anything with it. Why not live it up a little now? He is saving a decent amount after all so it's doubtful he's going to be broke in retirement (the house will likely go to him as inheritance anyway given his situation). Money now in your youth is worth a lot more than money when you're old and can't do anything with it because you're too tired of living to do so.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I also want a Porsche and I'm in generally similar financial circumstances, but I also can't imagine actually doing it. I hope he does it and then tells me how it all plays out so I can assume my decision would've played out the same way.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Nitrox posted:

Civilized places only. Detroit don't count

Yeah. Fair enough. It's just fun to say, because I haven't paid this little for rent since I was like twenty years old. I remember it seemed like a lot, at the time.

Sirotan posted:

lol, living in Detroit is pretty BWM unless you're gonna buy a house to rehab (and even then, yeah wouldn't recommend it). Rent downtown is north of $2/sqft these days.

Downtown is getting gentrified, but that's not really my thing. I live about ten minutes from the downtown area without having the downtown hassles, or paying downtown prices.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Here is a post that doesn't have to do with citychat or your own personal utility bill. It's about dumb stripe horses! Apparently you can keep them as pets but they are assholes and it's a bad idea, according to this Zebra breeder.

"Some dumb reddit thread posted:

Went to Kenya in 2014. The safari guide gave us tips on how to handle different animals; don't stare down buffalo, lions are actually quite lazy animals but don't annoy them with loud noises etc. He gave stories on how Zebra are pretty much the stupidest animals and are spooked by everything, even their own tails.
Then he said in his swahili accent;

quote:

If you see a hippo charging us. Just accept we are dead
He didn't smile or laugh. Silence ensued.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 1, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

A guy on my boat wants to invest in a Philippine piggery. He's describing it and it sounds like a good enough idea, it's a low initial investment and could pay off well. GWM? BWM? Let's google this..

"Is pig farming good idea as small business in the philippines? posted:

I spoke to 2 fella's who started pig farms and I have heard a couple of other nearly the same story. Basically it all went something like this....

After investing a lot of money along the way and starting up with the pigs, the farm was seemingly going along well with piglets coming along. Trouble is, no money to speak of was being made. Operating costs were too expensive and coudn't seem to be improved much. The prices on sale or market were just not enough to cover the costs and get a living out of it all. All these guys wound up their farms and took a big time loss for their trouble.

Two of the guys, the ones I talked to, found out later that the price of the feed and other needs of the farm were being inflated grossly by the manager in collusion with the suppliers and inflated receipts were being supplied. Also, as they weren't on the ground a real lot, they were being cheated on the number of piglets born. Also, when pigs were sold, the sold prices stated were under what they actually got. One of these guys used wife family members and best friends and lost big time. This type of criminal behaviour is very, very common in the Philippines and you as a foreigner will almost always be seen as someone they can make money from.

To succeed, I would think that you need to have boots on the ground at ALL times. Do the purchasing yourself as well as the selling. At least be there with a trusted person who will do the negotiating... but be there. Sometimes, that most trusted person will turn out to be your worst enemy, destroying your business behind your back, just to make a few extra pesos. A lot of Filipino's cannot help but take advantage of a situation where money just stares them in the face. How many times read in the paper about an employee stealing a few miserable thousand pesos (like a months wage or such) only to lose his job and cannot find employment or warrant of arrest out on them etc. Heard so many stories and they throw thier future away for a blatant and easily found out crime. Many just seem to think of the moment and not their future. Shame.

Sound a bit tough... welcome to the Philippines mate.

quote:

They all know that stealing is technically wrong. But they also believe that the greater good is the love of their family. As long as they're just stealing to help their family then there's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's their duty to steal from you.

quote:

wombat is right on the button regarding the problem with local help. my father-in-law has plenty of similar stories regarding his and his friends chicken ranches. his solution was to pay the workers just a bit over the "going rate" but to make sure they knew that as long as things were profitable they would have free housing on the farm and their children's schooling would be paid for all the way through college. he was the type to be there every day running operations. the farm did well, the workers did well.

but then again, he put a lot of his money in rural banks paying suspiciously high interest rates that more than a couple of times went under. he lost quite a bit that way. so if the workers don't get you, the banks still might...

Can't ignore the Filipino culture. There is very much a "live for today" and they laugh at us Americans being so uptight and worried about the future. My buddy is married to a Filipina and intends on having her family run the piggery. I hope he does it posts all the details on facebook because I'm sure it's gonna work out well, and it won't get destroyed by a typhoon or government corruption.

quote:

"The best way to make a small fortune in the Philippines is to start off with a big fortune"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blinkman987 posted:

I also want a Porsche and I'm in generally similar financial circumstances, but I also can't imagine actually doing it. I hope he does it and then tells me how it all plays out so I can assume my decision would've played out the same way.

2003 is also the 996, widely acknowledged as the ugliest and worst 911 of all time. If you're going to be BWM at least be Good With Porsches.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Centripetal Horse posted:

Yeah. Fair enough. It's just fun to say, because I haven't paid this little for rent since I was like twenty years old. I remember it seemed like a lot, at the time.

Downtown is getting gentrified, but that's not really my thing. I live about ten minutes from the downtown area without having the downtown hassles, or paying downtown prices.

How much do you pay for auto insurance?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're going to be BWM at least be Good With Porsches.

New thread title?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

PCjr sidecar posted:

$383 for 2 cars. Detroit auto insurance is BS.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Garfu posted:

$383 for 2 cars. Detroit auto insurance is BS.

That's because every car in Detroit winds up on cinder blocks and on fire with in minutes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

New thread title?

I think the Phillipines quote is better.

Also, I know a guy named Phil Ippino.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Switchback posted:

A guy on my boat wants to invest in a Philippine piggery. He's describing it and it sounds like a good enough idea, it's a low initial investment and could pay off well. GWM? BWM? Let's google this..

Can't ignore the Filipino culture. There is very much a "live for today" and they laugh at us Americans being so uptight and worried about the future. My buddy is married to a Filipina and intends on having her family run the piggery. I hope he does it posts all the details on facebook because I'm sure it's gonna work out well, and it won't get destroyed by a typhoon or government corruption.

Never ever do business in Philippine if you're a foreigner. It's incredibly corrupt. My brother(who lived there for 5 years and frequently paid the bribes) had a friend(also a foreigner) who owned a gym there. He refused to pay a bribe to an government official so they tossed in him jail for several weeks. He finally got out when his family paid essentially a ransom. He left Philippines the next day and never went back. Just left all his properties there. After my brother heard about it, he liquidated all his assets within the next month and left. It's been 6 years and because of the draconian banking laws, my brother still has to personally go to Philippines yearly to take a portion of his money out back to the US.

I also recently had a filipino coworker try to convince me to invest in some local business there just about 2 months ago. She was describing opening up some medical clinic which she says can return 20%. I politely declined but in my mind I was screaming "Are you crazy???"

Philippines BWM and BWL. It has some nice beaches and decent enough place to visit but never do business there.

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 1, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Switchback posted:

Bad with money:

quote:

Hello. Not sure if this is the right sub for this question, but gonna give it a shot. I'm going on 7 day trip to Tokyo, Japan in 35 days and only have $25 dollars in my account. I am 19 & currently interning for a fashion company so flight & room are paid for, but since it is an unpaid internship I do not have any money steadily coming in. I make money here & there by my employer & by selling my own used clothes online. I know I should've been smarter with my money and saved, but this trip was sort of unexpected. Either way I know I should've been saving. The reason I want to have at least $600-$1000+ is for clothes (which is what I'm looking forward to the most), transportation, shopping, food, and other miscellaneous things that require money. I don't want to be worried about running out of money over there or coming back completely broke. Any tips on how to come up with that sort of cash in 35 days and tips on saving it until then? Thank you!

He has $25 to his name and is worried about coming back completely broke? He's put the cart before the horse here and should maybe focus on not being completely broke before boarding the flight there in the first place.

By the sounds of it, I'm not sure he's ever had $1000 to his name. Not sure how he hope to magically come up with that savings in a month if he has no income and has never come close previously.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Teeter posted:

He has $25 to his name and is worried about coming back completely broke? He's put the cart before the horse here and should maybe focus on not being completely broke before boarding the flight there in the first place.

By the sounds of it, I'm not sure he's ever had $1000 to his name. Not sure how he hope to magically come up with that savings in a month if he has no income and has never come close previously.

My favorite part is "Any tips on how to come up with that sort of cash in 35 days and tips on saving it until then?"

He even knows that he'll spend it all in the next 35 days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's a she and in the comments it gets even worse.

She has decided to not do anything because a family member is giving her $100 as a gift and her parents will loan her $200. So, she thinks that $325 will cover a week in Tokyo and considers the problem solved.

She also says she "has" to spend most of it on clothes and shoes for work while she is there and it makes financial sense to do so, because it will be cheaper than importing them.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She has decided to not do anything because a family member is giving her $100 as a gift and her parents will loan her $200. So, she thinks that $325 will cover a week in Tokyo and considers the problem solved.

She also says she "has" to spend most of it on clothes and shoes for work while she is there and it makes financial sense to do so, because it will be cheaper than importing them.

Isn't Tokyo one of the most expensive cities in the world?

You said she had housing covered, does that include food?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

World's oldest profession is always hiring...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't Tokyo one of the most expensive cities in the world?

You said she had housing covered, does that include food?

Yeah Tokyo is mega expensive.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/tokyo?currency=USD

If you skip a meal every day, buy no souvenirs, and walk everywhere you may be able to make it work for $300!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah Tokyo is mega expensive.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/tokyo?currency=USD

If you skip a meal every day, buy no souvenirs, and walk everywhere you may be able to make it work for $300!

You could definitely do a week in Tokyo on $300 if your housing was already taken care of. Assuming you stay in the city itself, subways are fairly cheap, lots of temples and poo poo you can stroll through that are free, the city is very safe and walkable. Plenty of cheap izakayas and food stands or noodle joints to get a meal in at <$5 USD.

I mean, it would be a challenge and a waste to go to Tokyo and be stuck on a budget of that amount because you'll miss out on a ton of cool stuff, and you'd really have to do your research, but you *could* do it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're going to be BWM at least be Good With Porsches.

I have a feeling I may get posted ITT next year. :ohdear:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Her primary activity is going to be "Shopping" tho. She hosed

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I have a feeling I may get posted ITT next year. :ohdear:

don't buy a 996, 996s are always BWM

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

If she's in the fashion industry I doubt she's going to go budget balling at Uniqlo. That $325 is the entry point for fine dress shoes. Barely nice ones. Good luck to her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't buy a 996, 996s are always BWM

Looking at a Cayman S/GTS, maybe a Spyder.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

But Jalopnik told me the 996 is way undervalued right now and now is the time to buy!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why not just buy a G-TR?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The "Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world!!!111!!1!11!!one" trope is at least 25 years out of date. It keeps getting trotted out by flaky newspaper "travel writers" whose goal is to stay in 5-star western-style hotels, eating proper western food (not the slop that those *grimaces* natives eat, swan around to the most stereotypical, tourist-trappy entertainments they can find, and do it all on the newspaper's dime.

Tokyo is an expensive city if and only if you are expecting to maintain exactly the style (not standard, I said style) of living you are currently enjoying as an upper-class white professional in [London/Paris/generic American city]. Want a three-bedroom house with two garages, a garden, and easy access to the city, shopping, and entertainment? Yep, your wallet is going to get rightly hosed for that. Want to live a middle-class Japanese lifestyle with all the conveniences and stuff but without the huge McMansion, seven SUVs, and twenty tons of furniture? You can do it on literally half the going salaries in Australia right now. I'm not exaggerating. I make half (in straight currency-converted figures) what my brother does, but we have the same lifestyle.

BWM is having to travel to Australia from Japan, since the prices there are so high. Tokyo hell, the rent on a small place in Brisbane even is more than our combined rent, food, and utilities.

edit: Tokyo also is not expensive for travel if you stay in regular accomodation instead of that hotel from Lost in Translation, eat at regular restaurants instead of going to Jiro Fellates Your Sushi three meals a day, and take 5 minutes to plan your travel for the day instead of seesawing back and forth across the city eight times by Shinkansen.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 1, 2016

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BWM: Boat Restoration

In Seattle 100 years ago there was an boat: Patrol No. 1. This boat patrolled against pirates, had a machine gun, hassled bootleggers, and rescued three kids in 1931 off a homemade raft. But the boat's greatest legacy is ruining the lives of present day owners who won't give up the dream of making it seaworthy.

First owner/victim was Chris Pack

quote:

Chris Pack, a builder from Stuart Island, owned the boat before Landry.

“I spent $176,000 and 10 years of my life on it. I rebuilt the engine from scratch. I replaced all the deck beams. Built a new wheelhouse,” he says.

Peck says a divorce forced him to sell. He sold Patrol No. 1 for $12,000.

“I was hoping someone as crazy as me would purchase it and keep up the project,” says Pack.

Next up is Steve Mayo

quote:

Mayo says he spent $40,000 in repairs and added a long cabin on the main deck in the 25 years he owned it, not counting the hundreds of hours he and his dad worked on the boat.

quote:

Mayo sold it for $20,000.

Sounds like Mayo got off easy. But the next (and present) owner has been driven to madness (and not just because he's dumped $78k into the project)

quote:

It’s not an overstatement to say Patrol No. 1 ended up taking over the life of its last owner.

Marc Landry, 58, has used up his savings trying to restore it over the past eight years. He’s now homeless, staying with various friends in town, going to the food bank.

quote:

Now, Patrol No. 1 is headed for demolition; the Port of Port Townsend took possession of the boat after Landry didn’t move it when given an eviction notice in January. It’s been at the port for five years.

Port officials say they have had numerous problems with Landry, from late rent payments, to living aboard the boat in a “cocoon” of boards and plastic without proper permission.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/98-year-old-boat-steals-owners-heart-and-life-savings/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mojo Threepwood posted:

living aboard the boat in a “cocoon” of boards and plastic without proper permission.

Christ this boat is some kind of x-files poo poo, I imagine if they let him keep metamorphosing in his boat-cocooon he'd eventually emerge as some kind of horrifying wooden sea-butterfly that drinks brains through its proboscis :ohdear:

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Christ this boat is some kind of x-files poo poo, I imagine if they let him keep metamorphosing in his boat-cocooon he'd eventually emerge as some kind of horrifying wooden sea-butterfly that drinks brains through its proboscis :ohdear:

Alternative: A Stephen King novel in the spirit of Christine. Except the boat just kills your finances (and then kills you when you're at peak misery and had found a new buyer).

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
It's better with brain drinking.

I'll get started on the screenplay.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

PCjr sidecar posted:

Ouch. I guess I had that coming.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Aagar posted:

Alternative: A Stephen King novel in the spirit of Christine. Except the boat just kills your finances (and then kills you when you're at peak misery and had found a new buyer).

That's every boat ever, and a fair number of commercial ships too.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

All these boat troubles...makes you wonder why our ancestors ever gave up their gills and flippers

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Here is another story that's not funny or quirky, just purely bad-with-money for fashion idiot, wishing she'd spent her windfall on a nose job instead of leggings.

"I Spent My $66,000 Inheritance on Basically Nothing posted:

When I was 22, I was a year out of college and living at home. I had no money, and I spent all of my time reading blogs and applying for jobs that never got back to me. But then I received an unexpected major inheritance from my step-grandfather.
I received a lump sum of $66,000 after taxes—more money than I could comprehend, really. My dad immediately took me to the bank and helped me open a CD, a deposit account with a high interest rate, stressing that the money would grow, and then one day I could use it on a down payment on a house. That sounded nice, but also very far away. Buying houses was for old people! I was young, and it had been a hard year—didn’t I deserve something nice now? I put $61,000 into the CD, and $5,000 in my checking account.

I was cautious going into spending the money—terrified of ruining this opportunity. My first major purchase was a fancy DSLR, a Nikon D80, a solid camera that all my favorite lifestyle bloggers seemed to love. I got it off of Amazon with a kit lens for a little over $1,000. I had an interest in photography; it seemed like a practical purchase, necessary, even.

I remember asking my boyfriend if I had made the right decision. That was the single biggest purchase I had ever made in my life, and it seemed like something worth debating. But he insisted that if I wanted to take great photos, nothing would be a greater incentive than an amazing camera. I still remember the day I got it. I felt professional, rich, and responsible. It seemed like a well-reasoned purchase, and I vowed to continue to make practical decisions about what I would buy. If I wanted to be a photographer, a good camera was the perfect starting point. Naturally, all my purchasing decisions would follow as such. Right?

Buying the camera had made me nervous, but I soon found the money easy to spend. With $61,000 in the bank, it seemed like I had a nearly limitless supply. I started with small things: A pretty porcelain vase here, a Thread Social skirt there. Those lifestyle and fashion and design blogs I loved—the beautiful things posted on the sites were suddenly attainable to me. I bought $200 ban.do flowery headbands, ridiculously ruffly silk collar necklaces, even hideous Jeremy Scott leggings with gas pumps on them. If I was even slightly interested in it, to my house it came.

I always intended to return the things I didn’t love, but I rarely returned anything. I’d look at my bank account and it just seemed like I had a never-ending flow of money that rendered returns irrelevant. I even started my own fashion blog, convinced that if I owned cute, quirky things, I would somehow develop the interesting, artistic life that I wanted. I overlooked the fact that I was living in a boring cookie-cutter house in the ‘burbs, and spending my days doing nothing but perusing the Internet and shopping. A highlight of that time was when Tavi Gevinson commented on my blog, complimenting one of my purchases. That meant something to me.

That initial $5,000 was gone in a month, and then I started tapping into the reserves. I was allowed one withdrawal every three months from the CD, but I started taking out $5,000 every few weeks, losing any interest I’d accrued and blowing through my money. I felt so guilty talking to the guy at the bank that I kept making up excuses like, “Oh, I’ve had a lot of medical problems recently,” or “My dog needs surgery.” I didn’t have a dog.
I became obsessive about shopping, thinking that buying something new would make me feel better about myself and my life. I would see something, and freak out over needing to own it. I had no self control in my life when it came to spending, which I did frivolously and with abandon.
I did have big dreams and aspirations. The money meant opportunity to me, if only I could make a decision. I wanted to move across the country, I wanted a nosejob (I know this sounds shallow, but it is what it is; I’d dreamed about it since I was 12), I wanted to completely change my life and surroundings. But I couldn’t commit to anything. I may have had grown-up clothes, but I was really just a scared little girl. Spending a few hundred dollars at a time on tangible things seemed more rational than spending thousands of dollars on one big idea that could turn out to be a giant mistake.

But it wasn’t a continuous flow of funds. After two years, I was down to a few thousand bucks. And then a few hundred. And then it was gone. Now, four years on, it’s more than gone. I have a credit card with a $7,000 balance, and I had to borrow money from my dad to pay my taxes (I’ve never told him point blank that the money is gone, but when I call him up to borrow $100, he must know).

I have nothing to show for my windfall. I don’t even have my little DSLR anymore; I sold it recently to pay for car repairs.
I probably think about the money at least once a week, more when I’m stressed. Sometimes I regret not making a big change in my life; sometimes I regret not getting that nosejob (I still think about it); and sometimes I regret spending thousands of dollars on clothes before I’d come into my sense of style (now impeccable, I’d say, but which does not include gaspump leggings and ruffly collars).

Mostly, I wish I had tried something risky while I had a huge cushion. I’m thinking about moving to Austin now, but it’s tricky; I’ll need a job before I get there to make it work, and even then I’ll struggle to cover moving expenses and new rental costs. If I had the money now, I’m sure I’d still buy things—it’s my nature—but I’d also take advantage of that safety net. I’d make a move. I still will, it just won’t be as easy as it could have been.
Well I'm glad she learned something. What is this post trying to accomplish anyway? What a shallow oval office.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Switchback posted:

Here is another story that's not funny or quirky, just purely bad-with-money for fashion idiot, wishing she'd spent her windfall on a nose job instead of leggings.

Well I'm glad she learned something. What is this post trying to accomplish anyway? What a shallow oval office.

I didn't find it that terrible (the article, that is). Seemed to me a reasonable reflection on the danger and experience of a shopping addiction, how she was really bwm and squandered a real opportunity. I guess the nose job thing is bad, as is the fact that she claims she'd end up doing it again, but that's why it's part of an essay on having a shopping addiction.

I had a friend like that. He had big dreams and schemes but would get depressed and order a bunch of crap online, clothes, and things connected with the lifestyle he imagined himself leading. As a result he was always in debt and stuck in a cycle of poo poo jobs without really pursuing his plans. Extremely intelligent and talented person, too. Everyone who knew him thought he'd go on to great things one day. He eventually killed himself.

A shopping addiction is definitely a symptom of deeper issues, but in turn it just makes everything less manageable.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread