Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I hope the arts stick around. Without them, there wouldn't have been anything at all new. I think adept could get a bit of a nerf (the dodge itself is PLENTY without adding reloads) but I don't think the attack moves are so powerful that they need to go.

I think there could be some balancing done, but overall, I think this was a great refinement. Don't forget that, having already played MH in the past, the first 2/3rds of the game are going to feel easy.

Oh yeah, I like styles and all, I'm just not sure if they're going to keep them. Given where Generations is I'm not sure how much of this is one-off and how many changes and improvements will be kept going forward. I'm hoping most of them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kashuno posted:

Idk about the styles. I mean aerial trivializes so many thing.
It really doesn't later on unless you are in a party and that's a good thing cause otherwise that aerial user would just use an IG instead.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I don't think styles are the issue, it's that a lot of the older monsters have never, ever had their AIs updated, so they have no clue how to deal with new mechanics. Giving the old bird wyverns an upward swipe attack, for instance, would make aerial a lot less perfectly safe without removing an entire player style.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also, you sort of need Aerial if you want mounting/IG to be a thing going forward. You can design arenas, but you limit your design space a ton if you have one weapon that can mount on command while everything else is up to the whims of monster AI wandering near convenient jutting rock #9832.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I don't think styles are the issue, it's that a lot of the older monsters have never, ever had their AIs updated, so they have no clue how to deal with new mechanics. Giving the old bird wyverns an upward swipe attack, for instance, would make aerial a lot less perfectly safe without removing an entire player style.

This is definitely true. Any monster back in gen from older generations so didn't already have some sort of vertical attack is a joke because they weren't given a move for when the hunter is pretty much on their head. The i-frames on the jump make it pretty simple to dodge a lot of the monsters who don't have the size/kit to deal with someone high up

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Like I said, I'm just biased towards slow-moving weapons I guess. I'm just engaging in a little wishful thinking about perfect-guarding a charging monoblos and then following up with a big meaty blast dash.

I have Gunlance on the brain I suppose - just really like the idea of being slow and immovable, but then exploding in a sudden burst of speed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

which is going to do more damage just in general
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/heavybowgun/cirrus-blaster
Mountanous Roar pierce 1/2, assuming every pierce hits
+ pierce up

or
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/bow/bow-of-hope-valor
Bow of Light and Courage
+ Load up

Part of me wants to say the bow but I'm not sure
e: did the math, it's the bow

e:
I'm also mad because if my fastcharge5 loadup3 no slot charm had a single slot I could get: Load up, Focus, Normal Up, Special Up all in one. I have to settle for peak performance instead of special up which kinda sucks.

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 1, 2016

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I don't know what I expected out of Lavasioth, but it wasn't a lava plesioth.

I know, I know..

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I never want Adept to leave.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mortimer posted:

which is going to do more damage just in general
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/heavybowgun/cirrus-blaster
Mountanous Roar pierce 1/2, assuming every pierce hits
+ pierce up

or
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/bow/bow-of-hope-valor
Bow of Light and Courage
+ Load up

Part of me wants to say the bow but I'm not sure
e: did the math, it's the bow

e:
I'm also mad because if my fastcharge5 loadup3 no slot charm had a single slot I could get: Load up, Focus, Normal Up, Special Up all in one. I have to settle for peak performance instead of special up which kinda sucks.

What armor set are you running that gets you all those skills at once? I've realized as of this weekend that I love Bow but my set knowledge is lacking. All I've got right now is Volvidon S (gives Focus and Bio Master), with decorations for Normal Up and one to get out of Stam Recov Down.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also regarding styles Adept on Bow is basically loving cheating but I don't care because it's fun as heck

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What armor set are you running that gets you all those skills at once? I've realized as of this weekend that I love Bow but my set knowledge is lacking. All I've got right now is Volvidon S (gives Focus and Bio Master), with decorations for Normal Up and one to get out of Stam Recov Down.

helm: Akantor R
The rest: A combo of Arc R/S
Charm: Fast charge 5 / load up 3

Akantor R Helm gives Load up +8 so if you can get 2 anywhere else you're good. Alternatively the barrage earring gives Load Up +10 but doesn't have a socket and doesn't give as much armor.

Arc R/S are from Shagaru Magala, gives you Peak Performance and Normal Up

If you have a fast charge 5, 3 socket you can also run akantor helm because Load up +2 needs a 3 socket. It's a really good skill :v:

Special Up would be from Uragaan R

You can get focus, normal up, and load up without a godly charm and be fine. Getting Peak Performance as well needs a good charm, Special Up requires an insane charm.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The hitbox for the raths extends about 600 feet above them so if they decide to instant charge while you're jumping off them it doesn't matter if you're aerial or not. You're still eating poo poo even if no part of your hunter is touching the monster.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So i have a pierce up +5 with 3 slots. What armor sets am i looking for?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

scaterry posted:

So i have a pierce up +5 with 3 slots. What armor sets am i looking for?

HBG? Silver rath with a hayabusa feather and Akantor R legs
e: that's for weakness exploit + crit up 2 + pierce up + crit boost, which is what I run and also it looks pretty good

there's a clownsuit that's slightly better that has crit up 2, pierce up, crit boost, and repeat offender

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 1, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How important is it to learn all the different attack combos for a weapon? For example, SnS? I'm a button masher by nature and I can never remember all the combos I'm supposed to do, especially in the heat of battle :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a reason that R series quest line is a pain in the rear end. Lotta good skill sets locked behind that if you are willing to put in the time to get Athena's simulator running or whatever.

Pollyanna posted:

How important is it to learn all the different attack combos for a weapon? For example, SnS? I'm a button masher by nature and I can never remember all the combos I'm supposed to do, especially in the heat of battle :(
Not very. There's usually one or two you always want to do and ignore the rest. But even when I say that I see people mash all the time all the way to end game and they seem to do fine. Just know when to roll p much. SnS is kind in that you can roll out of almost everything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't landing perfect combos for flashy cool youtube clips and leaving everyone in your online lobbies stunned in your wake why the gently caress are you even playing this game tbh

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish you could stun teammates if you tripped them enough I'd play that

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pollyanna posted:

Most weapons have a bread-and-butter infinite combo that you can spam. I don't know what it is for SnS but I know one exists.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

About when should I try tackling Dreadqueen Rathian by myself (or at all really)? I just got into HR in the hub and 5* in village, and have some level 4 Rathian gear already.

I mostly just want the armor because the battle princess gear looks really cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

Most weapons have a bread-and-butter infinite combo that you can spam. I don't know what it is for SnS but I know one exists.

(R+X or X+A) X X X, A A A repeat if you're in striker, (R+X or X+A) X X X back+A X X X back+A repeat as adept, and hosed if I know for the other two.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If I learn a new, weapon-specific hunter art, is there a way to see what it was I just learned if I don't have that weapon equipped?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

If I learn a new, weapon-specific hunter art, is there a way to see what it was I just learned if I don't have that weapon equipped?

hit x to see All instead of equipable, and then just look for the New marker

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tyty posted:

About when should I try tackling Dreadqueen Rathian by myself (or at all really)? I just got into HR in the hub and 5* in village, and have some level 4 Rathian gear already.

I mostly just want the armor because the battle princess gear looks really cool.

Why would you do it solo

Do it whenever you can survive a regular rathian for 1-3 or HR rathian 4+ attack and not instantly die

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent from the combo talk, I've been having weird experiences with SnS users in this game: They keep sending me flying. I've been knocked into the air more times by them than any other weapon users when doing MP. Their move that sends people flying is the shield bash, right? I'm getting knocked around by them even when I'm on the tail or some other place where impact damage is not ideal (and conversely a glaive user flipping out is really good), so I'm not sure why it keeps happening, other than people not knowing that they have a combo without the bash. And/or being really rude; several times it's happened I was the first person on a part, and then the SnS person arrives a few seconds later and knocks me away partway through their combo.

It's odd because I didn't really have this problem in 4U, though I guess I saw fewer SnS players then so maybe that's part of it. Oils and stuff might have more people using the weapon now.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
What is the current hotness for end game bow armor sets? I'm thinking of switching once I unlock my HR, not sure what people usually pair with the Barrage Earring.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RossCo posted:

What is the current hotness for end game bow armor sets? I'm thinking of switching once I unlock my HR, not sure what people usually pair with the Barrage Earring.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3783088&perpage=40&pagenumber=76#post462733567

my post on the same page

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Mortimer posted:

Why would you do it solo

Do it whenever you can survive a regular rathian for 1-3 or HR rathian 4+ attack and not instantly die

I mostly don't want to try and convince the people I play with to, even if they're much more experienced with monster hunter than I am, especially if it's for Fashion Hunter reasons.

I can take down a LR Rathian solo but it takes a while and she still hurts, so I'll wait. Thanks.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Sakura runs are the best thing for Charms and possibly Zenny since Juju Melding in MH4U.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit Nibelsnarf eat the bomb :argh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BipolarAurora posted:

Sakura runs are the best thing for Charms and possibly Zenny since Juju Melding in MH4U.

Elucidate

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Damnit, sorry. No idea how I missed that!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mortimer posted:

I don't like adept and I hope they take it out next game

I play primarily ranged weapons and it's really god drat cheap to have a free reload/charge + bonus damage + massive dodge window. The other options don't even come close. This means instead of playing bow like Street Fighter where you're setting up dodges and wiggling around to keep consistent spacing, you're rolling into the monster and coming out the other end with a bow full of hurt. It's fun, it's really really good, but I can't help but feel it really doesn't feel like the MH I want to play. It's a high risk high reward playstyle but if you aren't using it you're gimping yourself massively because the other options are worthless.

I won't even get into siege mode adept dodging, that is the enemy to everything that made HBG fun/difficult.

As an HBG user, at end game the adept dodge becomes a something you want to avoid maybe 50% of the time due to its long recovery. You really have to start determining whether you really want to follow up your dodge with an adept sprint/reload rather than just diving into every attack. Anything like Zinogre's stomps or Tetsucabra's triple charge will really punish you if you adept dodge into them.

I guess that's probably not the case with the bow since you can move with it drawn or simply not charge if you need to get out of the way. But I hear adept bow is one of the most OP combos in the game, so it will probably get nerfed if they keep styles in the next game.

Rascyc posted:

There's a reason that R series quest line is a pain in the rear end. Lotta good skill sets locked behind that if you are willing to put in the time to get Athena's simulator running or whatever.

The worst part about that quest is that hyper parts are only found in quest rewards so it gives the same amount of them as the quest to kill 1 hyper tetsucabra. Also village reqs working like urgents is dumb as hell. Another set of quests I have to solo, except some of them are so high end I'm probably not even capable of doing that.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 1, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Yeah, I play adept LBG and HBG, and trying to adept dodge into several monsters (BLANGONGA :argh: ) is a great way to dodge one attack, then cry as it turns right around and smacks you during the recovery.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

This video should explain everything about Sakura runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hgQuEi7Oo

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tyty posted:

End of the game unless you just wanna mess around with the early level versions.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tyty posted:

I mostly don't want to try and convince the people I play with to, even if they're much more experienced with monster hunter than I am, especially if it's for Fashion Hunter reasons.

I can take down a LR Rathian solo but it takes a while and she still hurts, so I'll wait. Thanks.

well, the sets very good anyways, if you want a reason other than fashion

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I got yelled at today by a longsword user. Apparently him running up and standing right in front of me while I was shelling was interrupting his combo. Whoopsie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So as the only person who actually likes Khezu and wants to make his equipment, it's a bit annoying that nearly all his stuff requires parts from other monsters to create or upgrade past level 1. I couldn't create his armor set or his greatsword when I first fought him because it required Gypceros parts, and unless you're looking it up on kiranico and know that he'll appear in two completely unrelated gathering quests, the first quest that displays Gypceros is unlocked through the logical progression of taking a gathering quest and getting plopped next to a metal as hell deviljho recolor flagship monster. I get that I could have just gone online but it's weird to have that "gate" when the initial crafting process for every other greatsword I've got so far is just "take materials from monster you want to make a sword out of -> toss in a few bones/ore -> done". It's not the worst thing in the world since all it means is I wait an hour until I have the appropriate quest unlocked, just a bit of a bizarre hassle for otherwise mediocre equipment.

Like for example once I made the Khezu GS at the start of 3* it only had 90 attack and 22 thunder, so I wanted to upgrade it so it'd be useful. But it requires Astalos materials, a monster I couldn't fight until recently in 5*. So I couldn't actually upgrade my Khezu GS to level 2 until I went up two quest ranks, only to find out that I could just make the Astalos GS instead which has 20 higher attack, +15% affinity, and better sharpness in exchange for losing one of the two slots the Khezu GS has. Why prevent me from upgrading the Khezu GS until I can make another one that's better in every possible way?

• Locked thread