Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So is there a way I can forcibly load one of these new Play Store-enabled Chrome OS builds onto a Chromebox? They've got a similar build to some of the cheaper Chromebooks that can run it, but Google's being dicks.

Not that I'm aware of but I'm eager for it too. The optimist in me says that once the Play Store hits the Stable channel it will be opened up for machines that have specs to run it but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LastInLine posted:

Not that I'm aware of but I'm eager for it too. The optimist in me says that once the Play Store hits the Stable channel it will be opened up for machines that have specs to run it but you never know.

Yeah, if they ~get around to it~, I've got a plan to round out my ASUS box with 16GB of Crucial DDR3 since it's dirt cheap (already have the stock 4GB running with a Crucial 8GB SODIMM). There's already a 128GB SSD in there. I kind of want to be able to play a few Hearthstone games before bed, while *in* bed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if they ~get around to it~, I've got a plan to round out my ASUS box with 16GB of Crucial DDR3 since it's dirt cheap (already have the stock 4GB running with a Crucial 8GB SODIMM). There's already a 128GB SSD in there. I kind of want to be able to play a few Hearthstone games before bed, while *in* bed.

I've used that same box for a few old people who needed to replace lovely Windows machines. I always spec them with 8GB and really can't imagine needing more RAM but I guess with Android apps I could see it. They're such great machines for under $200.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I've used that same box for a few old people who needed to replace lovely Windows machines. I always spec them with 8GB and really can't imagine needing more RAM but I guess with Android apps I could see it. They're such great machines for under $200.

Well, considering phones are coming with 32-64GB of LPDDR4...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, considering phones are coming with 32-64GB of LPDDR4...

How are you running 60 Chrome tabs at once with a plethora of extensions on a phone and other apps active besides, exactly?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

How are you running 60 Chrome tabs at once with a plethora of extensions on a phone and other apps active besides, exactly?

Never mind, I just realized that the 32-64GB figure was internal storage and most phones are only running 2-6GB of LPDDR3 or 4. Late night brain fart.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 16, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Where are you seeing dirt cheap DDR3?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Never mind, I just realized that the 32-64GB figure was internal storage and most phones are only running 2-6GB of LPDDR3 or 4. Late night brain fart.

Man you went and got me all excited about a phone that could keep my phone's entire storage in RAM. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Where are you seeing dirt cheap DDR3?

Objectively speaking - when I added an 'approved' 8GB DDR3 SODIMM to my Amazon wishlist, after already buying one stick for my Chromebox, it was $75.77. At the moment that same stick costs $28.99 new.

fishmech posted:

Man you went and got me all excited about a phone that could keep my phone's entire storage in RAM. :v:

Well, if Intel's Optane technology takes off...

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.
I have a really basic question regarding updating a rooted phone, but most of the answers I have found online are riddled with technical jargon or ambiguous at best so I'm hoping someone here will have a clear answer. I also tried posting in XDA in the appropriate rooting thread with no luck.

I have an old Galaxy S4 mini which I rooted back in 2013 with this method:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2364980

It runs on 4.2.2 and I never bothered to update it. But now some apps are starting to step up their requirements to 4.4 so I'm kinda being forced to update in order to avoid losing functionality. So, my question is simply what is the best way of going about the update, preferably without having to do a factory reset first? As part of the root procedure which I linked above I had to install a CWM recovery so from what I read that limits my options.

I have obtained the official and correct stock roms for my phone, both for 4.2.2 (in case something goes wrong) and for 4.4. I understand my options are now these:

1. Flash the ROM through Odin
2. Install update through Kies
3. Install update through OTA (for some reason the option is available even with root, but the CWM recovery might cause issues)
4. Flash stock recovery and install OTA update (probably pointless)
5. Install OTA update through the Flashfire app

On my last phone (Galaxy Ace) I was simply able to install the OTA update without losing data or root, but then again I did not have a custom recovery back then. I am tempted to simply flash the new ROM with Odin, but I would really rather not have to perform a data wipe in order to have a bug-free update. What is the optimal and less messy way of doing this?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I guess the thread title prompts me to ask this question, as someone who is thinking of switching to Android after 8 years of iOS..

Assuming I pick up an HTC 10, what benefit would I see in rooting the device? Why, even as a nerd, do I need to root my phone in 2016?

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

binarysmurf posted:

I guess the thread title prompts me to ask this question, as someone who is thinking of switching to Android after 8 years of iOS..

Assuming I pick up an HTC 10, what benefit would I see in rooting the device? Why, even as a nerd, do I need to root my phone in 2016?

For me:
Being able to use the volume rocker to play/pause podcasts at work without taking my phone out of my pocket
System wide Adblocking
Running a VPN without having to have a lockscreen passcode

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm using it for:
Adblocking
BetterBatteryStats
f.lux
Titanium Backup
and to fix japanese fonts when the system language is not set to japanese

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Amplify (battery saving wakelock limiter)
Custom kernels for battery life.

Freeze and prevent anything from booting/uninstall anything.

More aggressive doze through doze settings editor or greenify.

I've changed my opinion on greenify, I'd rather just remove offending apps and prevent them from booting, also, having something like YouTube in ram just saves the CPU some cycles when I need it. (it will kick out of ram on its own if I need the space)

Marshmallow was a step in the right direction for battery/permissions and smart use of ram, it just didn't go far enough.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

binarysmurf posted:

Way back when I rooted my phone because I had some Samsung garbage with really bad software. These days there are not many great reasons to root, and I personally haven't since I had a Nexus 4 (then Nexus 5 and now Nexus 6, fwiw). If you have a Nexus, rooting is at least almost completely painless. No guarantees that any other phone will be that easy, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

binarysmurf posted:

If you're planning on rooting or even just thinking about it, get a Nexus. If you're thinking about getting an HTC 10, get the next Nexus since both will be based on the HTC 10 but will have up-to-date software.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014
I think the expanded version of the thread titles advice is that perhaps back in the days of yore you may have needed root to get a passable device, these days most use cases are covered. With that in mind I think that asking if you should root your phone is the wrong question. As a bored geek project it is not without risks both in bricking your poo poo (or just spending an afternoon fudging about on xda to work out what went wrong) and security implications. If you need to do something that requires root plan for it, otherwise leave well enough alone.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
These days android is still terrible in stock form because you can barely get 8 hours of use out of it, unless you've got a phone with a huge battery like the nexus 6.

I've spent innumerable hours loving with my piece of poo poo 5x and with all the rooted garbage I've installed I can finally eke out a full work day on this thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

These days android is still terrible in stock form because you can barely get 8 hours of use out of it, unless you've got a phone with a huge battery like the nexus 6.

I've spent innumerable hours loving with my piece of poo poo 5x and with all the rooted garbage I've installed I can finally eke out a full work day on this thing.

Um... I think you are the exception. I could easily get a full 18 hours out of my old S4. Unless I spend 2 hours watching YouTube on my 6P, I get 16-18 hours out of it, with 30% remaining at the end of the day.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I use the official Facebook app for the saml proxy or whatever the gently caress to auth myself to a bunch of poo poo. It's fine when you aggressively doze and hibernate. I'm sure battery life penis ++ if I uninstalled it but lol gently caress that

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

official Facebook app
:lol: 'Nuf Said... that's not an Android problem, that's a Facebook app problem. I don't have any even have ForceDoze, Amplify, or XPosed installed on my 6P, and don't have any problems with battery.
Except Pokemon Go... that thing is a battery hog

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

namaste faggots posted:

I use the official Facebook app for the saml proxy or whatever the gently caress to auth myself to a bunch of poo poo. It's fine when you aggressively doze and hibernate. I'm sure battery life penis ++ if I uninstalled it but lol gently caress that

I wouldn't be surprised if all that poo poo is making it worse than if you just uninstalled facebook and stopped micromanaging your phone

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Skarsnik posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if all that poo poo is making it worse than if you just uninstalled facebook and stopped micromanaging your phone

or someone just wrote an app that let you authenticate to other apps without all the other bullshit facebook crap :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Huh?

Any app i've got where I use fb to authenticate just lets me log in without the app using a web dialog

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Skarsnik posted:

Huh?

Any app i've got where I use fb to authenticate just lets me log in without the app using a web dialog

Seriously? How is this even working without the official Facebook app installed?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not sure why you think it wouldnt?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For devices shipping with Nougat, Verified Boot will no longer allow you to boot the phone with modified software. Not a big deal to anyone with a Nexus as the check is disabled when you unlock the bootloader but I'm curious if currently devices other than Nexuses show the warning on Marshmallow that you have a corrupt image on rooted devices?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm. I've got a Galaxy Tab S2 (t810) . It's running Android 5.0. I've rooted it just fine. But it just won't take a custom recovery via Odin or Heimdall. Once or twice I've got it to take TWRM briefly but as soon as I reboot it goes back to the stock recovery - and this is when rebooting straight to recovery, not booting the main OS, so it's not the known issue of Android flashing the stock recovery on boot. Most of the time I don't even get that far. Anyone know if recent Samsung stuff has hijinx in the bootloader to overwrite a custom recovery or something?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

or someone just wrote an app that let you authenticate to other apps without all the other bullshit facebook crap :(

Wow, you literally know nothing about computers or the internet, cool.

Uninstall Facebook.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Android Pay no longer working with systemless root.

I originally saw it posted on Reddit. The only thing that surprised me is that it took them this long to patch it.

Edit: It appears that the changes are server side so there's no way to get around it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What'd be really interesting is if undoing systemless root still leaves you in the cold.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah that really sucks. Used it on Monday worked fine, go to use it last night and nope. I know it was always listed as a happy side effect of systemless, but it's just irritating. It's not really a big deal, but definitely something I'm lamenting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to have Titanium Backup delete local backups after syncing them to the cloud? I really don't need 6+ GB of backups sitting on my phone, especially when TiBu complains the next day that it doesn't have space to do the backup!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Within tb no, I was hoping for something similar

If there was a delete backups schedule it'd be easy

Maybe tasker could do it?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I was trying to unroot my s5 and got stuck in a boot loop at the T-Mobile 4G LTE screen. Being an idiot I didn't backup my data. Is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve a factory reset?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

hooah posted:

Is there any way to have Titanium Backup delete local backups after syncing them to the cloud? I really don't need 6+ GB of backups sitting on my phone, especially when TiBu complains the next day that it doesn't have space to do the backup!

Sync with pc or yolo delete if its in the cloud. Is deleting that hard? Marshmallow and up has explore under storage.

Reik posted:

I was trying to unroot my s5 and got stuck in a boot loop at the T-Mobile 4G LTE screen. Being an idiot I didn't backup my data. Is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve a factory reset?

No, always backup or be prepared to start fresh, if you've done it a dozen times it's much faster. You can try dirty flash over existing with same stuff to try and save.

All of you on devices more than 2 years old check xda unless some goon remembers sage wisdom by chance. (I know htc one m8 and nexus 5x for instance)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

galahan posted:

Sync with pc or yolo delete if its in the cloud. Is deleting that hard? Marshmallow and up has explore under storage.

It's not hard, but it would be tedious to delete the backups by hand every day.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Am I right to assume, if I have adopted storage active then I won't be able to make a new nandroid backup? Well, I could make one but won't be able to restore it?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a brand new Nexus 5x headed my way; I presume shipping with Android N

I cant find a guide that's for N rather than M. Is there anything sificantly different? I'm many years of iOS land now so getting re-acquinted with Android.

Want to root for adblock and f.lux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It won't ship with N

The main difference through is twrp won't work on N ( at least it didn't last time I checked)

Chainfires autoroot is the easiest way to do it