Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yes, I knew about DL working on WAH and hence being absent for most of S2. I wonder about how much involvement he had on scripting and casting matters re the middle/late part of S2. E: I mean, at a distance, while working on WAH.

ASAIK that info about Kyle is correct and he had a late change of heart during the run up to FWWM, hence he only has a short sequence in that. I think a lot of actors were pissed off about the dip in S2 and the feeling that DL had deserted them and that had led to cancellation of S3. Also a lot of them were sorry their parts in the movie were so small and not used in the theatrical cut.

I read a book on the making on Twin Peaks a few months ago, though from what I remember they never give a specific reason for why Lynch wasn't as involved. It's also somewhat confusing since multiple people say he kind of abandoned the show, that at some points he was off doing art shows in Japan and other things, but he acted in some of those later-day episodes, so it's not like he was totally gone. But yeah, there was definitely a perception that Lynch and even Frost to some extent had kind of abandoned the show, and some of the later parts of the season were being organized by other people.

Besides people being bothered by Lynch abandoning the show, the sense I get is that most people saw the show as a Lynch/Frost* thing so I think they were also uneasy about the breakdown of that relationship. Someone in the book goes as far as saying they found the idea of FWWM without Frost distasteful.

* in all fairness, Lynch is not involved in this book and Frost is, so that biases it a bit. Although Frost never says anything negative about Lynch or the demise of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its hard to blame Lynch for checking out because the network forced him into something that changed the core of show and it was like the polar opposite of what he wanted to do.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you talking about Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks, Pedro?

I thought that was a good read but I kind of agree that you need to take anything it says with a grain of salt.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Any word on when TP S3 is scheduled to broadcast?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Last I heard was during the first quarter of 2017. Probably March.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BBC Culture polled 177 critics from around the world to determine the best movies of the 21st century, and Mulholland Drive came in at #1. I'll be honest, it wouldn't have been my decision, but all the same, good going against some stiff competition.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is such a good list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's a good list, but there is an inherent flaw in making a best-of list for the 21st century less than 20 years into that century...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've seen people complain it's too American and European centric. Don't think I agree but I've seen people say it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Thank you.

You probably already know this but the whole thing where you should be able to watch a movie without words and still understand what's going on goes back to Hitchcock. Hitchcock argued that this proves that good movies are visual, that the director is all important, and that actors are just part of the scenery.

I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but he was Alfred Hitchcock and I'm a loser on the internet.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it goes back a lot longer than hitch. even if they didn't put it into words all the good silent directors knew about visual storytelling. and then you have the major inflection point when sync sound came around and the development of the medium basically stalled while they figured out how to move cameras again

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I'm seeing Mulholland Drive at the theatre in my city on Friday night and Inland Empire on Sunday. Has anyone seen Inland Empire at the cinema? I'm wondering what a 3 hour SD digital movie is going to look like on the big screen. Still, this is the first time I'm seeing Lynch on film. I'm looking forward to hearing his sound design for MD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Today I found out that apparently Twin Peaks in particular is EXTREMELY popular in Japan, to the point where there is a boardgame made by Sega, and several coffee commercials starring Dale Cooper's character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Wizard Master posted:

I'm seeing Mulholland Drive at the theatre in my city on Friday night and Inland Empire on Sunday. Has anyone seen Inland Empire at the cinema? I'm wondering what a 3 hour SD digital movie is going to look like on the big screen. Still, this is the first time I'm seeing Lynch on film. I'm looking forward to hearing his sound design for MD.

I saw Inland Empire six times in the theater during its original release.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wizard Master posted:

I really wish I was able to see Inland Empire in the theater. Whenever I watch it at home it usually takes me a few days to watch it. I would love to have to be forced to sit and watch the whole thing at once.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The_Rob posted:

I really wish I was able to see Inland Empire in the theater. Whenever I watch it at home it usually takes me a few days to watch it. I would love to have to be forced to sit and watch the whole thing at once.

There really is nothing like seeing that movie at the movies.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Today I found out that apparently Twin Peaks in particular is EXTREMELY popular in Japan, to the point where there is a boardgame made by Sega, and several coffee commercials starring Dale Cooper's character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Premonition

This poo poo right here.

Like, a wiki doesn't really do it justice. You regularly talk to your coffee (and yourself) for daily fortune tellings. You can shave and change clothes for good marks from the FBI. You smoke Police-brand cigarettes. Fish bellies have trading cards within them. A lady needs her casserole delivered five miles across town.

It's a game where eating a lollipop keeps you sane but costs $35.

Armani fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 31, 2016

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

BBC Culture polled 177 critics from around the world to determine the best movies of the 21st century, and Mulholland Drive came in at #1. I'll be honest, it wouldn't have been my decision, but all the same, good going against some stiff competition.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

Mulholland drive has definitely earned its top spot. Probably of all the films listed here it is the one that has cemented itself in the American film canon.

The list is okay otherwise. It's a less a matter of inclusion than exclusion. I'm okay with probably like 75% of the list though so that isn't too bad. Too many recent films for my liking though.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Armani posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Premonition

This poo poo right here.

Like, a wiki doesn't really do it justice. You regularly talk to your coffee (and yourself) for daily fortune tellings. You can shave and change clothes for good marks from the FBI. You smoke Police-brand cigarettes. Fish bellies have trading cards within them. A lady needs her casserole delivered five miles across town.

It's a game where eating a lollipop keeps you sane but costs $35.

Check out the let's play by SuperGreatFriend on YouTube. It is really fun. SGF is a relaxed and witty LPer (one of SA's own) and he has really taken time to cover every aspect of that game. Anyone who likes Twin Peaks should at least see a little of Deadly Premonition on YouTube.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Got my hands on Critereon's Mulholland Drive. Saw it once before in theaters, but I want to re-watch it in episodes instead of all the way through. Any opinions on where to split up the movie that would still keep the plot in tact (as opposed to just the half-way point).

Lynch has vaguely broken the movie down like this: “Part one: she found herself inside the perfect mystery. Part two: a sad illusion. Part three: love.” I'd like to figure out good points in the movie to split up these "parts" and digest it in chunks.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

modestmusashi posted:

Got my hands on Critereon's Mulholland Drive. Saw it once before in theaters, but I want to re-watch it in episodes instead of all the way through. Any opinions on where to split up the movie that would still keep the plot in tact (as opposed to just the half-way point).

Why would you want to do that? Can you really not just devote the two hours to it?

Also, I'd check to see if it even has Chapters. David Lynch has been known to make what you're attempting as difficult as possible, since he thinks films should be watched all-at-once or not at all. Of any of his movies to benefit from that, I'd say it's Mulholland Drive.

If you really have to, I guess stop watching when Rita puts on a blonde wig.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
don't have to, just thought I'd mix up how I watched it. It started out as a TV pilot, thought maybe it could lend itself well to chunks. Though the more I think it out, the stupider it sounds. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

modestmusashi posted:

don't have to, just thought I'd mix up how I watched it. It started out as a TV pilot, thought maybe it could lend itself well to chunks. Though the more I think it out, the stupider it sounds. :shrug:

I think that it works for something like Inland Empire, which is more episodic and fragmented.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Stop watching every time you see a red lamp. No matter what. Go a day between lamps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the drat movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

modestmusashi posted:

Pilots are meant to be watched all the way through.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding was that the pilot covered the entire movie from the beginning to Betty and Rita in bed, and that everything afterward was what Lynch would've eventually revealed. I saw one critic describe Mulholland Drive as akin a version of Twin Peaks that consists of just the first episode and Fire Walk With Me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I always forget what an emotional gut-punch the ending of Fire Walk With Me is. The whole movie does such a great job of outlining Laura's character and struggle, so you really feel for her, and I love the ambiguity of the Lodge at the end. It perfectly straddles the line between discomforting and comforting.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Seeing what you guys say about Fire makes it sound so amazing, if only I could fine the time to watch the series. I take it I shouldn't spoil myself and watch Fire first right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd say the show is almost essential viewing before FWWM, because it's entirely about showing us what Laura was going through - we see the truth that the tenants of Twin Peaks distort through lies, and it's much more rewarding to pass through the hall of mirrors that is the show before stumbling across the stark reality of the film. It'd be like watching the last quarter of Mulholland Drive first, and then going back and watching the first two hours. You could do it, but it would cut down on the fun. Lynch does a great job of playing on what you know in FWWM, so I imagine its impact would be lessened without that foreknowledge (feel free to be a guinea pig, though, it might be interesting).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW some of the deleted scenes for the movie were blatantly set after the timeline of the show. It's a little less obvious in the final cut of the film, but it was still very much designed to be seen afterwards as Hate Ball was saying.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

Seeing what you guys say about Fire makes it sound so amazing, if only I could fine the time to watch the series. I take it I shouldn't spoil myself and watch Fire first right?

If it helps any, the first episode is pretty much a Made-For-TV movie by David Lynch about trauma and grief, and the first season is only 8 episodes total.

Season 2's first episode is also movie length, and the rest are 50 minutes or less (usually less).

So, all things considered, you're missing out on 2 Made-For-TV David Lynch movies, and then 28 episodes. All of which just clocks in under 24 hours of material.

The eye-rolling "Flannel episodes" don't even begin until 18, and ends after 4/5 episodes.

What I'm saying is, if you have time to watch FWWM, you have time to start Twin Peaks. A lot of emotional pay-off of FWWM works because the series literally begins with Laura's sad pale body being found. It's interesting to learn about Laura through the lens of the weird townspeople, and then finally get to experience her in FWWM.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Showtime have confirmed that TWIN PEAKS is airing in May and that it'll be 18 episodes. They've also stated it'll be a one-and-done deal.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

David Lynch posted:

Well, before I said I wasn’t going to revisit it, and I did. So you never say no, but right now, there’s no plans for anything more.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RBX posted:

At the very least you should watch up until half way through season 2, at the point where there's a big reveal about what happened to Laura. It kinda takes a nosedive in quality for a little while after that (do not feel bad about fast forwarding through basically any scene with James in it) and there's an abruptly introduced new 'villain' who is pretty drat stupid, though the finale is incredible and really, really should be watched.

If you watch FWWM without at least watching up to the big reveal in the series, you will probably regret it. A big part of the appeal of FWWM, for me at least, is how very different it is from the series. All the charm, quirkiness and loveable nature is just shot to pieces, and you're left with a bleak, miserable and often terrifying view of the town you've grown to love - because now you're seeing it from Laura's point of view.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You might hate FWWM at first, but if you're willing too, you soon might love it. I was very mixed when I saw it, but I was also incredibly affected by Laura's death scene. That is some pure insanity right there. I can't even figure out why it's so horrifying, but it is. One of the most visceral, disturbing death scenes in any movie honestly.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh no I'm at episode 3 of TP and love it, I just need to watch it instead of sleeping or playing games in my free time. I'm just really anticipating FWWM, sounds like my kinda jam.

I've watched every Lynch movie but Inland Empire Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet. I own them too but I'm lazy. Lost Highway is my favorite so far.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

I've watched every Lynch movie but Inland Empire Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet. I own them too but I'm lazy. Lost Highway is my favorite so far.

What are you doing?! Leave work right now and go watch Eraserhead and Blue Velvet back to back!

I've seen every Lynch movie half a dozen times, but Eraserhead is still the one I go back to most. It was the first Lynch movie I saw, and I get something new out of it after 10 years of watching it. Lynch may have improved on narrative with Elephant Man, Dune and Blue Velvet, but it's ridiculous how great Eraserhead is for a first film by a student working with no budget over a few years.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

At the very least you should watch up until half way through season 2, at the point where there's a big reveal about what happened to Laura. It kinda takes a nosedive in quality for a little while after that (do not feel bad about fast forwarding through basically any scene with James in it) and there's an abruptly introduced new 'villain' who is pretty drat stupid, though the finale is incredible and really, really should be watched.

If you watch FWWM without at least watching up to the big reveal in the series, you will probably regret it. A big part of the appeal of FWWM, for me at least, is how very different it is from the series. All the charm, quirkiness and loveable nature is just shot to pieces, and you're left with a bleak, miserable and often terrifying view of the town you've grown to love - because now you're seeing it from Laura's point of view.

Seconded.

RBX posted:

Leave IE to last. Alternatively: don't watch IE. EH and BV are amazing. BV is like the prologue to TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What the heck Inland Empire is incredible.

• Locked thread