Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Finished 1493, really good although I kinda found it started to go off the rails a little bit at the end when he's trying to connect everything to modern globalization. Also his need to end every "story" with some flowery falls pretty flat on occasion. Only stands out because the majority of the book is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Hey, I'm looking for a book or two on the Soviet Afghan war.

These are the two I was looking at, but I've come across quite a few others. Thoughts?

The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan

Afghanistan: A Russian Soldier's Story

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The Great Gamble is excellent and a good read.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Alikchi posted:

The Great Gamble is excellent and a good read.

Great, thanks

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anything interesting to see about French Africa in general, or French-colonized countries in particular?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Depressio111117 posted:

Can anybody recommend a book about Biblical life from a secular perspective that isn't...uh, aggressively secular? I want to learn about what the disciples ate for lunch without every paragraph ending in either, "and this is why Christianity is a LIE" or "and this is why Christ is LORD".

Life in Year one is pretty much that. though its dry at times.

also zealot is pretty good at least for good idea of context around jesus time.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can anyone recommend a good introduction to Medieval warfare? Something not overly complex

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any good biographies of Saddam Hussein out there?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_and_the_City ;)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Star posted:

Anyone got a recommendation on a good book concerning the Weimar Republic?

Weimar Germany: Promise and Tragedy by Eric D. Weitz is good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are there translations of Caesar's commentaries that are considered definitive? Also, is there a definitive collection of Cicero's letters and speeches?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there any good books on the Inca or Aztecs prior to the arrival of Europeans? Maya would be fine too, or Olmecs or any of the American urban civilizations really. It's okay if the book covers the conquest but I really want something focusing on before. I've read 1491, I want to get deeper into individual cultures.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also posted this request in the SAL book recommendation thread, but what should I read if I want the history of Christianity up to around the late middle ages?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Red Suit posted:

I also posted this request in the SAL book recommendation thread, but what should I read if I want the history of Christianity up to around the late middle ages?

I've not read Diarmaid MacCulloch's well-regarded Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years, but his book about the reformation was great and this one probably is too.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 20, 2016

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Red Suit posted:

I always liked "The Story of Christianity" by Justo Gonzalez. It's a short two volume work. Volume one goes to the Reformation.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dokmo posted:

I've not read Diarmaid MacCulloch's well-regarded Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years, but his book about the reformation was great and this one probably is too.

It really is great, I take the opportunity to hype it whenever possible and relevant and even sometimes when it's not relevant because it's that good.

Get it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

dokmo posted:

I also agree that its great. He also has a documentary series made that follows the content of the books which is also pretty good, and its nice to see some actual locations.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Are there any good books about the movement of American pioneers to the West, and the subsequent colonization?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would love a good read on Polish/Lithuanian history, or even a general Eastern European modern history. Preferably from medieval forward.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I'm woefully ignorant about African history. I was thinking about reading Africa: Biography of a Continent, but thought it might be better to read several books instead, each focusing on a different time and/or region.

If possible, I'd also like there to be some focus on pre-colonial Africa as well as post-.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Bonus if available on Kindle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shitshow posted:

I'm woefully ignorant about African history. I was thinking about reading Africa: Biography of a Continent, but thought it might be better to read several books instead, each focusing on a different time and/or region.

If possible, I'd also like there to be some focus on pre-colonial Africa as well as post-.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Bonus if available on Kindle.

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild is a must-read, unfortunately :smith:

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

vyelkin posted:

I'm very much aware of it, which is why I wanted there to be an equal focus on civilizations that pre-date European colonialism.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Weimar Germany: Promise and Tragedy by Eric D. Weitz is good.

I watched a doc about the films of Weimar Germany. This looks like a good follow up. Thanks.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Shitshow posted:

I'm very much aware of it, which is why I wanted there to be an equal focus on civilizations that pre-date European colonialism.

Can't be, as the source material for that mostly doesn't exist.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

smr posted:

Can't be, as the source material for that mostly doesn't exist.

It is a hurdle bit not an insurmountable one. Check out "facing east from Indian country" for a good discussion of how you handle that kind of history, plus a neat take con colonial America from the Indian pov.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cyrano4747 posted:

It is a hurdle bit not an insurmountable one. Check out "facing east from Indian country" for a good discussion of how you handle that kind of history, plus a neat take con colonial America from the Indian pov.

In a few years get ready for a couple of really great books on West African history due to the sad fact the libraries of Timbuktu had to be evacuated out of the country or be destroyed. Luckily they got some 28,000 books out which have been moved to Oxford for safe keeping and research.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

vyelkin posted:

I've had this in my kindle for two months but refuse to read it during pre-vacation crunch time. I expect to be thoroughly depressed during my holidays.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a good book, and will also make you wonder why the gently caress Belgium gets no poo poo about colonialism today. I've been looking for older Africa histories for a while and there just don't seem to be many. There's a lot of really exciting archaeology going on right now, so hopefully there will be books coming in the next few years.

There's a BBC documentary series called Lost Kingdoms of Africa which is all on youtube and is really good.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

That book man, that book made me glad I'm not a drinking man. If there's one glimmer of hope in that torrid time, its was that I learned of the actions of Roger Casement, E. D. Morel, and George Washington Williams.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a good book, and will also make you wonder why the gently caress Belgium gets no poo poo about colonialism today. I've been looking for older Africa histories for a while and there just don't seem to be many. There's a lot of really exciting archaeology going on right now, so hopefully there will be books coming in the next few years.

There's a BBC documentary series called Lost Kingdoms of Africa which is all on youtube and is really good.

To be fair to the Belgians, the Congo Free State was unique in that it was the sole possession of a single man. They should get flak for having a lovely monarch, sure, but they can't really be blamed for what happened in the Congo during the ivory and rubber booms.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Congo Free State just shows the power of privatization. The invisible hand of the free market is just far more efficient at chopping off the visible hands of Africans than the government could ever hope to be.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Quixotic1 posted:

That book man, that book made me glad I'm not a drinking man. If there's one glimmer of hope in that torrid time, its was that I learned of the actions of Roger Casement, E. D. Morel, and George Washington Williams.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Oscar-winning Hollywood movie about it yet.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Quixotic1 posted:

I read King Leopold's Ghost, The Fate of Africa: A History of the Continent Since Independence, and Dancing In The Glory of Monsters all in the same year. I haven't had a shred of hope for this species since.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

smr posted:

I read King Leopold's Ghost, The Fate of Africa: A History of the Continent Since Independence, and Dancing In The Glory of Monsters all in the same year. I haven't had a shred of hope for this species since.

Eh. Grade the species on a curve. We're probably always going to suck but there's been improvements by degrees since ancient Sumerian times.

Anyway, here's my non-solicited recommendation. Robin Waterfield's translation of The Anabasis by Xenophon owns. Even if you're not all that interested in ancient Greek history , it's one of the coolest eyewitness accounts we have from that era. It's great because you get lulled into a sense of how modern a lot of it seems and then Xenophon is like "so then we sacrificed a wolf and a boar and let their blood run into a shield. We dipped all our blades into the blood to solidify our oath." :stare: It also really drives it home that the vast majority of your life as a soldier in the ancient world would have been spent marching.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 3, 2016

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Does anyone have recommendations for a book on the history of the yakuza? I've read autobiographies like Yakuza Moon and Tokyo Vice, but I'm curious to read more historical background than just personal experiences in the modern day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't have anything to recommend on the subject matter, but I've read Tokyo Vice and I'm like 90% sure Jake Adelstein is a bullshit artist and made most of it up.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Megazver posted:

I don't have anything to recommend on the subject matter, but I've read Tokyo Vice and I'm like 90% sure Jake Adelstein is a bullshit artist and made most of it up.

Probably, which is why I'm interested in an actual history on the groups rather than one American talking about how he put his nose in the wrong place.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I want to learn more about Victorian Europe. Not so much the geopolitics side of things, which I already have a background of, but more the everyday culture, economics, art, and so forth. Any recommendations?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Fray posted:

I want to learn more about Victorian Europe. Not so much the geopolitics side of things, which I already have a background of, but more the everyday culture, economics, art, and so forth. Any recommendations?

Hobsbawm's big 'Age of -' series would be a good starting point if you haven't gone there for a sort of ground-up general history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fray posted:

That's a pretty broad field! Can you narrow it down at all? Are there certain countries, cities, years, topics, that you find particularly interesting?