Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I don't understand

We keep getting younger and signing Africans instead of getting older and signing Americans

You've become ArsenalMLS.

Enjoy your above average finishes for the next 10 years without winning anything meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
So an improvement then?

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We keep getting younger and signing Africans instead of getting older and signing Americans

The pendulum has swung too far in this direction, it appears. They had already used all their international slots, but got one back when they put Alhaji Kamara on injured reserve...however, they just filled that slot by signing Iggy, so now they can't bring Kamara back from injured reserve until they get rid of an international player.

http://www.blackandredunited.com/2016/7/29/12329762/dc-united-trade-kennedy-igboananike-chicago-fire-mls-transfer-rumors

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Maybe Olsen picked up that brain-altering parasite you get from catshit :shrug:

Well, RFK does have problems with infestations of feral cats and racoons....

Real talk, I can't believe it but, I'm going to miss that poo poo-hole

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

TheNakedJimbo posted:

The pendulum has swung too far in this direction, it appears. They had already used all their international slots, but got one back when they put Alhaji Kamara on injured reserve...however, they just filled that slot by signing Iggy, so now they can't bring Kamara back from injured reserve until they get rid of an international player.

http://www.blackandredunited.com/2016/7/29/12329762/dc-united-trade-kennedy-igboananike-chicago-fire-mls-transfer-rumors

Nothing of value was lost. Kamara is destined to die in a football game and I'll be damned if it happens on my poo poo heap team.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nothing of value was lost. Kamara is destined to die in a football game and I'll be damned if it happens on my poo poo heap team.

Whenever anyone plays at RFK they die a little, at least inside.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Whenever anyone plays at RFK they die a little, at least inside.

I think you've mistaken that for your dreams of relevance, friend

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I really hate Charlie Davies, but he doesn't deserve cancer :(

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Existentially, no one gets what they deserve. If most of us got what we deserved, most of us would be dead or imprisoned.

Charlie Davies is a son of a bitch. He drove drunk after a drunk driver killed his friends and nearly killed him. He did not get what he deserved. Nor does he deserve cancer.

Knowing him, he'll survive. The son of a bitch is a fighter. He will overcome, because he's too much of a bastard to die.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

joshtothemaxx posted:

Christ, I thought I was having a traumatic year

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Glad Fernandez still has 'resting awkward tight pinched smile' face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

Whelp, Castillo is officially going to Turkey. Kind of a drag, but I think FC Dallas will be able to handle things without too much of a hit.

https://twitter.com/SteveDavis90/status/759871998428274689

Well poo poo

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Yeah not quite sure how to feel about that, it's good that he's coming back and all but I'm curious as to why the deal fell through.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Probably because, holy poo poo, there's some serious civil unrest there and people are losing rights left and right.

Or he didn't like the food.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Was Taters posted:

Probably because, holy poo poo, there's some serious civil unrest there and people are losing rights left and right.

Some Turkish guy made fun of me on an FCD fan page when I said there was a zero point zero chance I'd take a transfer to Turkey right now. He wasn't even a fan of the page or anything; he must have just been trolling Facebook for people who were saying mean things about his country.

Ryan Hollingshead is really an unsung hero of this team; his versatility allows him to contribute so much. He started out playing right wing last season, then moved to left back for the rest of the year, played right back in that game against DCU where Dallas was missing seven starters to international callups, and played left wing in Fabi's absence yesterday. He's all-around quality.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Was Taters posted:

Or he didn't like the food.

This is soccer we're talking about. The issue is more than likely money based.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Tigren posted:

This is soccer we're talking about. The issue is more than likely money based.

It could be, but Mario Gomez hosed off 2 weeks ago himself saying it was about the unrest.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/football/mario-gomez-turkey-coup-football/index.html

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Was Taters posted:

It could be, but Mario Gomez hosed off 2 weeks ago himself saying it was about the unrest.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/football/mario-gomez-turkey-coup-football/index.html

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. Way to go Mario.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Some Turkish guy made fun of me on an FCD fan page when I said there was a zero point zero chance I'd take a transfer to Turkey right now. He wasn't even a fan of the page or anything; he must have just been trolling Facebook for people who were saying mean things about his country.

Ryan Hollingshead is really an unsung hero of this team; his versatility allows him to contribute so much. He started out playing right wing last season, then moved to left back for the rest of the year, played right back in that game against DCU where Dallas was missing seven starters to international callups, and played left wing in Fabi's absence yesterday. He's all-around quality.

I've had Hollingshead on my fantasy team for two or three seasons now because he is cheap but always gets playing time and occasionally gets many points. I think he will be a starter for whoever is missing for a while before someone poaches him.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
MLS franchise fees are going to be upped to $200M.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-01/buying-an-mls-franchise-just-got-a-lot-more-expensive

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
ESPN ratings for MLS are up 32%. Not a typo. Thirty-two percent.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

quote:

With a target of 28 teams, league officials are talking with a number of prospective cities, including Sacramento, Detroit, Cincinnati, San Diego, St. Louis, San Antonio, Charlotte and Oklahoma City.

Fucks sake, why?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:10bux:

Some of those choices are stupid though (and as a Seattle sports fan I'm obligated to say "gently caress Oklahoma City")

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

CaptainYesterday posted:

ESPN ratings for MLS are up 32%. Not a typo. Thirty-two percent.

this year’s Major League Soccer matches on ESPN and ESPN2 have delivered an average audience of 312,000 viewers

lol

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Tigren posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. Way to go Mario.

Turkish sources are claiming it was FCD's greed that killed the move:

https://twitter.com/KHeneage/status/760226833258414080

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Was Taters posted:

Turkish sources are claiming it was FCD's greed that killed the move:

https://twitter.com/KHeneage/status/760226833258414080

I'll bet you this isn't greed, just knowing how Turkish teams work. You better get that money all up front because once the player is gone, they'll just start delaying payments.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yeah even if Trabzonspor is good for the money, I wouldn't want to do business in Turkey if I was MLS. With the poo poo going down in Turkey there is alot of uncertainty and dick waving between the USA and them which could end with them getting kicked out of NATO and embargoed while their El Presidente continues the slide into autocracy. Also if I was Castillo I would probably hold out for somewhere slightly less lovely, ffs last season a team's bus got shot up by masked gunmen while traveling in bumfuck nowhere Turkey. Also the decent foreign players in the league like Gomez and Atiba Hutchinson are jumping ship.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'll bet you this isn't greed, just knowing how Turkish teams work. You better get that money all up front because once the player is gone, they'll just start delaying payments.

This all makes me wonder what Calvinball rule Dallas was trying to sidestep by insisting on a staggered loan/purchase.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Tigren posted:

This all makes me wonder what Calvinball rule Dallas was trying to sidestep by insisting on a staggered loan/purchase.

I'm pretty sure the staggering was on Trablsakjdfjh's part. You see this kind of thing with clubs who don't really have any money. You'll see a €10m transfer to Italy, but the deal is structured super crazy with payments going on for 20 years. Maybe only 500,000 is up front and then they pay 250k per year. I think Dallas realized they weren't ever going to get their full value for Castillo and are pulling the plug.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm pretty sure the staggering was on Trablsakjdfjh's part

There's a lot of wisdom in this post. I'm just a bit confused because the wording of the tweet made it sound like Trabzonspor wanted to pay up front and Dallas wouldn't let them. The league takes, what, 25% of the money when a player is transferred; maybe they keep less than that from a loan, and Dallas is the first to figure out that you can end up with more money by going loan -> sale?

If the league doesn't take a cut of loans at all, then the difference between sale and loan->sale could have been half a million dollars. I'm not sure scuppering a deal over half a million bucks is that great a move, unless you don't particularly want to lose the player anyway, and would just barely be willing to sell him for $3.5m net but definitely not for $3m.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

this year’s Major League Soccer matches on ESPN and ESPN2 have delivered an average audience of 312,000 viewers

lol

Anybody got numbers on MLS Live?

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
no self respecting person pays for mls live.

Shrapnig posted:

Fucks sake, why?

less discussion about expanding the league beyond its negligent untenable levels for $200 mil and more tasty talk about facebook posts from some random dude from turkey and fantasy soccer lineups.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
ESPN is reporting Philly is in "advanced negotiations" to get Bedoya by Wednesday.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TheBoyBlunder posted:

ESPN is reporting Philly is in "advanced negotiations" to get Bedoya by Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/760305608847339520

Hilarious.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
jim curtin is the first person i think of to get the best out of usmnt players

smart move by all parties

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Maybe this'll be the year the Union win a trophy.

It'd be funny as hell if it was

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shrapnig posted:

Fucks sake, why?

MLS is a Ponzi scheme that will need more and more new clubs to pay expansion fees so the league can stay solvent. Much like the European Union adding refugees.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So Vancouver are returning garbageman Jordan Smith to the trash where he belongs, but I hear Saprissa don't want him back lol

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Chicago is first in allocation, though. Philly is second. So if Bedoya is determined to go to Philly, best case scenario for the Fire is getting TAM from Philly to switch spots, then moving back up to the first spot after the Bedoya deal.

In other news, Chicago is signing striker David Arshakyn, Armenian international and terror of the Lithuanian A Lyga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

African AIDS cum posted:

lol

we're at nearly two (2) % of NFL ratings, its a pretty huge breakthrough!

• Locked thread