Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

In my experience, no airline ever is the slightest bit lenient with weight limits for baggage. A couple of weeks ago coming home from the tropics, I had a bag limit of 23kg and my bag weighed 23.2kg. They told me it was going to be an extra $250 to get it on board. I threw out my sunscreen and insect repellent and put it through again.
This. I had two bags, one at 20 lbs and one at 50.5 lbs and the guy put my 20 lb bag on the conveyer into never-never land and then wanted to charge me $75 for the extra 0.5lb instead of doing the incredibly obvious thing, suggesting I take a pair of socks out of one bag and put them in the other, and in fact, preventing me from doing that by sending the incredibly light bag away so that'd be impossible. Insert dick-wagging pissing contest here, where I get the manager involved and eventually talk them into letting the 0.5lb slide because poo poo-for-brains put the other bag on the conveyer already. But yes, they are loving serious. I travel right at the limit all the time (equipment, not clothes) and sometimes they will let 50.5 slide, but let me tell you, 51 is right-loving-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I mean but directly shot into a main artery.

Since they don't test on humans you can see the LD50 of rabbits and rats here in section 11.

http://education.jlab.org/frost/msds/isopropanol.pdf

Just adjust by weight. The mg/kg ratio should probably be fatal to any mammal.

How specific is this game you're playing because this seems a little weird?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

Since they don't test on humans you can see the LD50 of rabbits and rats here in section 11.

http://education.jlab.org/frost/msds/isopropanol.pdf

Just adjust by weight. The mg/kg ratio should probably be fatal to any mammal.

How specific is this game you're playing because this seems a little weird?

Someone argued with me that they could kill their target with a syringe of isopropyl alcohol, the fight went on for 30 minutes, and he wouldn't accept the guy wouldn't just drop over dead, which made me curious to look it up. I google'd it saw nothing and came over here. I hoped saying "This is for a tabletop RPG" would make it less weird.

TBF: The player in question worries me at times with his specificity.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Which of these sentences is more grammatically correct?

"Hail Satan I guess."

Or

"Hail Satan, I guess."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cyberia posted:

Which of these sentences is more grammatically correct?

"Hail Satan I guess."

Or

"Hail Satan, I guess."

Depends what you want to say. The first implies you gotta Hail someone and I guess Satan will do, the second says I guess I could Hail Satan specifically. You probably mean the second one?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

Someone argued with me that they could kill their target with a syringe of isopropyl alcohol, the fight went on for 30 minutes, and he wouldn't accept the guy wouldn't just drop over dead, which made me curious to look it up. I google'd it saw nothing and came over here. I hoped saying "This is for a tabletop RPG" would make it less weird.

TBF: The player in question worries me at times with his specificity.

You're going about it the wrong way. Make the judgement based on whether or not it suits the gameplay you want, not based on whether it is or isn't factually correct.

e: think of it in terms of game balance. If you allow your players to use a syringe full of stuff to instakill someone in a fight, you should take care that the stuff is harder to get ahold of/more expensive than their usual weapons, otherwise it is overpowered and they'll use nothing else.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

In my experience, no airline ever is the slightest bit lenient with weight limits for baggage. A couple of weeks ago coming home from the tropics, I had a bag limit of 23kg and my bag weighed 23.2kg. They told me it was going to be an extra $250 to get it on board. I threw out my sunscreen and insect repellent and put it through again.

Eh, I have gotten heavy bags through with no fee a bunch of times, just depends on the mood of the checkin person. I very often fly with a pelican full of tools so I am over weight like half the time. I just try to sound friendly and smile alot.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I used to work as a baggage handler, and later at the check-in counter. I used to let 50.5 go, and anyhing after that I'd get into "c'mon it's just one pound, and it's the same weight in a carry-on or in the cargo area" argument all the time. It's not just to be a jerk, it's because when you finish loading the bags the pilot asks for the numbers - in our case it was number of bags per bin, and then what category: regular, "heavies", and gate checks. I don't know the specifics, but when they do the numbers that stuff matters. If we have plane with 200 bags on it, and 100 gate agents decided to be nice and let a few pounds slide, suddenly the number of "heavies" is down and the pilot makes a load plan based on there being ~150lbs less in a certain bin, that's a problem. Realistically I don't think that's gonna stop a plane from taking off safely but it sure will net a huge fine from the FAA if they decide to conduct one of their many nit-picky inspections. Blah blah blah you get the idea. Before I worked there I hated all the rules for flying but now I appreciate them. Even the most eye-rolling regulations are based on preventing something unlikely but possible. tldr we know it's annoying and seems overly picky but it's a picky industry when it comes to regs so just roll with it, it's for your benefit. Tacking on the exorbitant fees for overages is just greed, but you'd be doing the luggage shuffle regardless.

Anyway, here's my question:

I got a TV for my room, and the only place it can go is across my (large) room so I have to turn it way up to hear it. I don't like it blasting while I sleep, walls are p solid but the volume I require to hear from my bed is probably enough to bother the people next door. If I put a speaker behind my bed on a shelf, would my mind adjust to the idea of sound from behind, screen in front? I rigged up a similar setup with my laptop where the TV is and a small bluetooth speaker behind me and it was weird, I watched maybe 10 minutes and couldn't zone out the difference. Now if I hook up a nicer system that's more rich and clear than my bluetooth minispeaker, will this be better, and will I get used to the sound from behind? It's an older wired system that I'd have to drag out of storage and dick around with just to try it, so I figured I'd ask if anyone's done this before I waste a couple hours.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

life is a joke posted:

the pilot makes a load plan based on there being ~150lbs less in a certain bin, that's a problem.

How do they deal with statistical anomalies like a bunch of 300lb people all sitting on one side of the plane, while the other side has little kids, right?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The smallest plane I worked with was a hundred seats and they've printed dispatches that say "leave at least 15 seats open between rows 1-11 for weight and balance". And I've been on little cape air planes where the pilot just says "hey can you move over there?". I'm not a pilot nor do I work there anymore, so I'm probably wrong, but I think the jets we had used averages for different types of bags and for people (pilot got number of adults, children, and babies) so I think they could work with set numbers when averaging that. IDK tho haha. I was never inflight but I wouldn't be surprised if they were instructed to tell the pilot of there was a super obvious balance issue, like one side of the plane being stacked with heavy people and the other side being mostly kids.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The flight was doomed the moment the baby convention and the fat people convention were scheduled on the same day, in the same remote town.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

The flight was doomed the moment the baby convention and the fat people convention were scheduled on the same day, in the same remote town.

They really, really wanted to sit together, too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

life is a joke posted:

I got a TV for my room, and the only place it can go is across my (large) room so I have to turn it way up to hear it. I don't like it blasting while I sleep, walls are p solid but the volume I require to hear from my bed is probably enough to bother the people next door. If I put a speaker behind my bed on a shelf, would my mind adjust to the idea of sound from behind, screen in front? I rigged up a similar setup with my laptop where the TV is and a small bluetooth speaker behind me and it was weird, I watched maybe 10 minutes and couldn't zone out the difference. Now if I hook up a nicer system that's more rich and clear than my bluetooth minispeaker, will this be better, and will I get used to the sound from behind? It's an older wired system that I'd have to drag out of storage and dick around with just to try it, so I figured I'd ask if anyone's done this before I waste a couple hours.
I can tune this out in 5 minutes. If you give it a day or two, you'll forget about it.

Thanks for letting 50.5 slide. And thanks for holding the line on 51. The only thing worse than having to take two pair of socks out at 50.5 is watching the guy in the next podium checking his 62 pounder when the agent forgets to look.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What happened to E/N forum? It was a fun read once in a while...

VVV Thanks!

pokie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 1, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

pokie posted:

What happened to E/N forum? It was a fun read once in a while...

It's still around, it's just called Internet Defectives now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Memento posted:

It's still around, it's just called Internet Defectives now.

Speaking of which, has anyone got a link to that one thread where a really depressed guy wanted to destroy the world and people slowly convinced him that that wouldn't be a good idea and he started working to improve his life and outlook?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xpost from Something Offal...

Johnny Truant posted:

So I was an idiot and set my favourite pan down on a plastic grip mat, burning some of the material onto the bottom of the pan. Would acetone damage anything about the pan?

I can scrape most of it off but I was thinking it'd be best to make sure with some kind of solvent...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Johnny Truant posted:

Xpost from Something Offal...

It's safe for plain metal pans, and should also be safe for those with a non-stick surface, so long as the non-stick surface doesn't already have deep gouges into it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

Even the most eye-rolling regulations are based on preventing something unlikely but possible

My favorite is the rule that lavatories must have an ashtray.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

life is a joke posted:

You could get some wireless headphones.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

You could get some wireless headphones.

Do this. Don't get gaming headphones because they're mostly flashy garbage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm finally dumping all my physical media. I need to get rid of all my CDs and DVDs in one shot. Most of it is old junk. Where can I sell it? I found an app called Decluttr that will take nearly all of it but I'm getting like 30 cents each. Is that the best I could do? I don't want to list everything individually on eBay.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I'm finally dumping all my physical media. I need to get rid of all my CDs and DVDs in one shot. Most of it is old junk. Where can I sell it? I found an app called Decluttr that will take nearly all of it but I'm getting like 30 cents each. Is that the best I could do? I don't want to list everything individually on eBay.

Unless you have something rare or super popular with all the packaging 30 cents is a good deal.

Ask me about all the Jonny Cash vinyl I saved from a dumpster behind my apartment.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Unless you have something rare or super popular with all the packaging 30 cents is a good deal.

Ask me about all the Jonny Cash vinyl I saved from a dumpster behind my apartment.

Yeah I'm not expecting a lot, and there's a couple CDs that I scanned that are showing a couple bucks.
$.30 for a DVD for me doesn't seem a good deal though, I might be better off donating them to a library or to one of those groups that sends them to children's sonf VA hospitals.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I'm not expecting a lot, and there's a couple CDs that I scanned that are showing a couple bucks.
$.30 for a DVD for me doesn't seem a good deal though, I might be better off donating them to a library or to one of those groups that sends them to children's sonf VA hospitals.

Yeah, that's a good idea. They're not worthless but they're not worth much money v0v

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have an outlet replacement deal that is just 4 USB power outlets - it fits in a standard "decora" outlet and charges 4 devices.

I now have 2 USB-C phones - I need something to replace this thing with that has (ideally) two USB-C outlets and two regular USB outlets. I can't find this thing on the internet, but the last time I asked something similar here, someone found me what I needed in 5 minutes.

Does this thing exist?

PS, your CDs/DVDs are worthless. Take your $0.30.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 1, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

So I hear your saved a bunch of Johnny Cash albums from the dumpster, what's the story with that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

So I hear your saved a bunch of Johnny Cash albums from the dumpster, what's the story with that?

I got enough money at the indy record shop to buy a tall can

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

photomikey posted:

I have an outlet replacement deal that is just 4 USB power outlets - it fits in a standard "decora" outlet and charges 4 devices.

I now have 2 USB-C phones - I need something to replace this thing with that has (ideally) two USB-C outlets and two regular USB outlets. I can't find this thing on the internet, but the last time I asked something similar here, someone found me what I needed in 5 minutes.

Does this thing exist?

PS, your CDs/DVDs are worthless. Take your $0.30.

You could get USB-to-USB-C cables and keep the outlet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

List it on eBay, but do it in themed sets. Got a bunch of CDs by one artist? That's one auction, make it start at like 50 cents times the number of CDs. A bunch of DVDs with the same actor? List them together.

Additionally, many of these CDs and DVDs can be given to Amazon on their trade-in system for Amazon credit. A lot of them will only be like 75 cents or a buck, but that's more than 30 cents and they'll give you a shipping label to use.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

alnilam posted:

You could get USB-to-USB-C cables and keep the outlet.

This would be the best idea. Aren't USB-A to USB-C cables more practical anyways, so you can plug them into normal USB outlets on computers and whatnot? I mean, you never see Micro-USB to Micro-USB cables or anything like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bvoid posted:

This would be the best idea. Aren't USB-A to USB-C cables more practical anyways, so you can plug them into normal USB outlets on computers and whatnot? I mean, you never see Micro-USB to Micro-USB cables or anything like that.

That's because microUSB-microUSB violates standards. USB-C to USB-C on the other hand is the future standard, and will be necessary for the fastest charging and data transfer eventually.

That said USB-A to USB-C is defintielyt he way to go for now, since we've definitely got way more use for those at the moment.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

syscall girl posted:

I got enough money at the indy record shop to buy a tall can

bless, this is what Cash would have wanted you do to

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

My favorite is the rule that lavatories must have an ashtray.

There's still an ashtray because if you're stupid enough to smoke on a plane, it's much, much better that you have somewhere to ash your cigarette. You'll get caught immediately because of the smoke alarm, but that's preferable to another disposal method, because a cabin fire is worse than an engine failure on a passenger aircraft. A lot worse.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The answer to the alcohol question, you need almost an entire bottle of the stuff, so I was definitely in the right. I already know pigs don't eat bodies in a day, and with that much chrome, it wouldn't matter. The player is throwing a fit though :(

Unrelated question:

A friend asked me to help him change some stuff on his website. I tried to go through GoDaddy's file hosting, but that didn't work and they only supported FTP, so then I ftp'd in and saw they had a wordpress set up, and I couldn't find the files that represented the individual pages, when I tried to log-in through the wordpress admin console, I got a message saying the password I was provided was wrong.

Is there a way to update the files via FTP, or do you have to use Wordpress's stuff to change files on the site?

Not only THAT, but my friend said he paid someone previously to manage the site, so he isn't even the one who set it up. It's very confusing.

E: I've never used wordpress

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

The answer to the alcohol question, you need almost an entire bottle of the stuff, so I was definitely in the right. I already know pigs don't eat bodies in a day, and with that much chrome, it wouldn't matter. The player is throwing a fit though :(

Unrelated question:

A friend asked me to help him change some stuff on his website. I tried to go through GoDaddy's file hosting, but that didn't work and they only supported FTP, so then I ftp'd in and saw they had a wordpress set up, and I couldn't find the files that represented the individual pages, when I tried to log-in through the wordpress admin console, I got a message saying the password I was provided was wrong.

Is there a way to update the files via FTP, or do you have to use Wordpress's stuff to change files on the site?

Not only THAT, but my friend said he paid someone previously to manage the site, so he isn't even the one who set it up. It's very confusing.

E: I've never used wordpress

It depends on what you need to do.

If you're trying to edit content on the site, you most likely need access to WordPress as that's the whole reason why it exists – to manage content.

If you're trying to edit the look and feel (that is, the theme files), you can find them in wp-content/themes/[whatever the active theme is]

WordPress doesn't have individual files that represent a page of content. It takes a theme file (say, post.php) and sticks in the content the adminstrator inserted via their WYSIWYG editor (say, a blog post) and generates a new page on the fly when a user requests it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is there a good (possibly cheap) alternative to cans of compressed air (like you'd buy in an office supply store)? I have a lot of diecast models that tend to get dusty and I almost destroyed one with canned air.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Feather duster?

(Frilly French maid's outfit optional )

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

Feather duster?

(Frilly French maid's outfit optional )

Tried that, but I can't get into the tiny spaces. And I don't have the legs for the costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Tried that, but I can't get into the tiny spaces. And I don't have the legs for the costume.

You can get electric air dusters - like compressed air but battery powered.

I think I recall someone complaining that they were inferior as they were less powerful, which is a bonus for you.