Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gourdcaptain posted:

My Evoker player looked at the new copy and is wondering how the High Magicks feat works because you can't ever summon three non-basic elements at once?

He's right, it's screwed up right now. I wrote it before changing the rules such that your third and fourth elements always had to be basics for simplicity/alpha strike inhibition reasons. I'll just have it read "expend" rather than "conjure".

Incidentally I wouldn't get too attached to that feat because while I like it I'm not sure whether Jim's down for explicit power-borrowing in that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: wrong thread

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 1, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

New Evoker looks cool, any word on another playtest I can pop in and play around in?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
probably tomorrow actually! I'll post in this thread sometime in the afternoon if so.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Are there any eurogoons who also want to try their hands at playtesting these new classes? Because I'd be down if there were.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are there any eurogoons who also want to try their hands at playtesting these new classes? Because I'd be down if there were.

yes please

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ImpactVector posted:

Does a summoner essentially lose the power refresh benefit of their Rally if all their summons are dead?

I nearly forgot to answer this question. The answer is yes, they do.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Well, I'm going to give it a try regardless. I'll let you know how it goes. You're completely right that all the ways you can mitigate the Disad weren't in my brain space.

Hey, coming back to this - did you try out The Flame? What did you think - was the base ability too weak?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Room for two in tonight's playtest. Post here if you're interested and then message me on steam/PM me here. Level 5, just combat stuff. I wouldn't count on playing Ogre unless both of you want to and set that up ahead of time. There's plenty of other things that need tested though. Oh also don't make an Evoker.

If someone wants to test Squire and/or Freelancer I'd appreciate either.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Sure, I whipped up a Squire earlier today. PM sent.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
I'm interested.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Test is full.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Team Conflict fixes:

1. There is always a round limit (recommended 5 rounds), and you always use the "intelligent opponents" rule.
2. Second, opponents trade out the Observe action for the Obscure action: +1A +1D and if the enemy uses Observe, you cancel that scouting and add +1A or +1D next round (your choice, or both if the enemy used Observe twice.)
3. Opponents cannot Take One For The Team, and also get a modified Win At All Costs: instead of giving them a Strike, it removes an Opponent’s Strike. It is only usable when the opponents have a Strike to remove.

The big thing is numbers 1 and 2 together should help curb Observe abuse without making it totally useless.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm down, provided it's on a weekend.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, coming back to this - did you try out The Flame? What did you think - was the base ability too weak?
Ah, right. I did end up taking the Flame, but it hasn't really come up. I'm not sure if our group isn't doing enough skill checks or what, but I don't think any of us have done a whole lot with our kit abilities.

Plus my choice was a bit of a stretch fluff-wise, so it's been kind of a tossup between whether it or a related complication fits better at any given time.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Okay, I have a question on the subject of playtesting.
The players should probably just worry about selecting classes and powers, right? Since that's all we're testing we don't need to come up with backgrouds and whatnot, right?
Also, should I decide on a shared setting of some kind? A player asked about it and I didn't know what to tell them.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I already PM'd my thoughts on Squire to Countblanc, but after sleeping on it I have some stuff to add. Squire's got a lot of battlefield repositioning powers, but several of their at-will effects require their Errand to be adjacent to the target, so you need additional repositioning abilities to take advantage of them. I don't mean "wow there's great synergy with Leader or Controller" but that the "if your Errand is adjacent to the target" clause means without already having strong positioning powers those powers are pretty situational.

I may be misunderstanding a bit but Squire also seems to have trouble dealing with Stooges, since almost all of their powers are about bringing the hammer down on a single enemy. This might have been because I wasn't familiar with what everyone was playing though, since Aim True! would be pretty useful with a Blaster. In any case, it's not nearly as straightforward as I expected a support class to be.

And a lot of my problems probably came from being a newbie and going first on initiative, followed by all the monsters, and the rest of the party acting last. :v:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 3, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ratpick, gnapo, I was thinking Sunday evening for the playtest, possibly at 8 PM from my timezone, that is GMT +2. Does that work for you?

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
Yeah, that works for me. I'd be bringing along another pal if that's alright.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wait wait wait.
How many Encounter powers is the Gambler supposed to get at level 1? I assume one but I can't find it.

gnapo posted:

Yeah, that works for me. I'd be bringing along another pal if that's alright.

That's alright but it was good that you warned me, I'll prepare the encounters appropriately.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 3, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait wait wait.
How many Encounter powers is the Gambler supposed to get at level 1? I assume one but I can't find it.

Yeah, 1.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ratpick, gnapo, I was thinking Sunday evening for the playtest, possibly at 8 PM from my timezone, that is GMT +2. Does that work for you?

Wait, I don't get how timezones work. I'm on GMT +3, so that'd be 9 PM my time? That's a bit lateish for me, but I could manage it provided we don't run for too long. How many hours did you have in mind?

Any particular classes you'd like to have us pick, or can we just pick whatever from the new expansion classes?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yes that will be 9 Pm from your point of view. I was thinking of making 3 encounters, at levels 3, 5 and 7. You can pick any new class you want, but if both of you could write your macros ahead of time that would be great.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yes that will be 9 Pm from your point of view. I was thinking of making 3 encounters, at levels 3, 5 and 7. You can pick any new class you want, but if both of you could write your macros ahead of time that would be great.

Okay, that sounds doable.

I'd actually really like to test out both a new class and the new Lurker role. I'm currently drawn towards the Freelancer, because I like the idea of a beginner class (even though I don't consider myself a beginner).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you test Freelancer tell me how you feel about the Granny's Ol' Blade power. The idea behind it is to offer on-demand burst in a simple package, but one bit of feedback I got basically worried that you could fall into a slump of Ol Blade > [other power] > Old Blade > [other power] etc. Which isn't necessarily untrue, but it assumes a very "empty white room" sort of situation since it's a melee power and assumes you won't be fighting Stooges as well as a few other variables like enemies not having vulnerable phases/syncing alpha strikes with teammate powers, AoE being more useful on any given turn, and so on.

So yeah just tell me what you think of it after you're done and what you'd change about it if anything to fix that if you think it's an issue that needs addressed.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Are all these classes intended for one expansion or multiple one?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The current intent is a single expansion, basically a "players handbook 2" sort of deal, combined with a few other things (the new role, a new combat system, possibly a few other player options like kits).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

a new combat system

?!?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sorry, I meant "sub-system," like a module, the team techs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

All conflicts are now resolved by rap battles and/or interpretive dances.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

homullus posted:

All conflicts are now resolved by rap battles and/or interpretive dances.

Seems unbalanced. I spit better rhymes than any of my players.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Strike has finally become true to its namesake and puts the GM in the position of the capital class while the players wage war through walk outs.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Strike has finally become true to its namesake and puts the GM in the position of the capital class while the players wage war through walk outs.

Players walking out? My campaigns already usually go like that [laugh track]

:smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

BOY THAT SOUNDS FAMILIAR

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So a friend of mine is making a Shieldbearer and there is a slight problem. The main class feature doesn't mention how many of the options you can pick, I think you only get one of them (between Avenging/Protecting/Sacrificing) but it doesn't say it anywhere that I can find.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

So a friend of mine is making a Shieldbearer and there is a slight problem. The main class feature doesn't mention how many of the options you can pick, I think you only get one of them (between Avenging/Protecting/Sacrificing) but it doesn't say it anywhere that I can find.

You get one.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I did have one very specific question about the Freelancer that came to mind yesterday as I was reading it: the Healing Potion Encounter Power does not state what kind of action it is. Is it an Attack Action?

e: I mean most of the powers don't state their action type but it can be pretty easily inferred from the fact that they have Damage, Effect and Range lines that they're Attack Actions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's an Attack Action, yes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Eurogoons interested in the playtest but without PMs, please join the game by clicking here: https://app.roll20.net/join/1570364/NtU3fw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For anyone testing the Lurker role, tell me what you think of the Stance Swap and Empower Stance powers. Stance Swap is sort of a relic of when Aggressive Stance had a downside and I didn't want players to feel stuck in it if they rolled badly, or to give people some on-demand burst, but now that Aggro Stance has no penalty and encounters simply don't last a super long time I feel like it might not be necessary. I haven't fully decided to cut it so if people like it it'll stay, I just want some feedback.

Empower Stance is a weird one because it's the only level 1 role power that affects you directly rather than enemies/the field. Similarly it's the only role power that doesn't just Work - you're still at the mercy of the die (though significantly less so). I don't think either of those are inherently bad things since the player is opting into them at level 1 and it isn't some surprise you'll bump into halfway through a game, but it's something I've thought about. It's also a (two times per) Encounter power but again that has some precedence in the Leader.

My current plans are to either:

a) Keep both powers as they are
b) Remove Stance Swap and replace it with another Encounter Power, possibly also changing Empower Stance.
or
c) Remove both, think of an applicable at-will power (open to suggestions, this one has been pretty difficult so far since it needs to be both simple [you're using it every turn] and applicable to both stances)