Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I wanted to mention this somewhere, and I guess it may as well be here since the subject came up... But while Dominic Deegan certainly was not good, I regret how obsessed I was over hating on it back in the day.

I mean, it was mostly the same sorta thing you'd see in the mock thread, but like all the ranting on other webcomics I did in the past, there was this rather ugly, petty jealousy mixed into it, and while I'm sure it was completely obvious to everyone else, I had utterly convinced myself this wasn't the case.

Looking back, DD really is the webcomic equivalent to those kinds of edgy comics many of us would sketch in our notebooks during Junior High, and honestly, there's something oddly charming about that. It wasn't good, but I can no longer say I don't understand why it caught on the way it did.

Although the orc storyline is still one of the most offensive things I've ever seen :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SuperHappy posted:

I wanted to mention this somewhere, and I guess it may as well be here since the subject came up... But while Dominic Deegan certainly was not good, I regret how obsessed I was over hating on it back in the day.

I mean, it was mostly the same sorta thing you'd see in the mock thread, but like all the ranting on other webcomics I did in the past, there was this rather ugly, petty jealousy mixed into it, and while I'm sure it was completely obvious to everyone else, I had utterly convinced myself this wasn't the case.

Looking back, DD really is the webcomic equivalent to those kinds of edgy comics many of us would sketch in our notebooks during Junior High, and honestly, there's something oddly charming about that. It wasn't good, but I can no longer say I don't understand why it caught on the way it did.

Although the orc storyline is still one of the most offensive things I've ever seen :v:
It was webcomics in the 2000s. It was all ugly, petty jealousy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just got caught up on Wilde Life, and while it's fundamentally pretty decent writing and good art, it's kind of amazing how next to nothing has actually happened in nearly 250 pages. The timeline on this comic is way too slow, especially when you consider that would be around 10 issues of a standard print comic book.

Also got caught up with Achewood and... I'm not sure how to function in normal society anymore.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I just got caught up on Wilde Life, and while it's fundamentally pretty decent writing and good art, it's kind of amazing how next to nothing has actually happened in nearly 250 pages. The timeline on this comic is way too slow, especially when you consider that would be around 10 issues of a standard print comic book.

Also got caught up with Achewood and... I'm not sure how to function in normal society anymore.

One of the key themes in Achewood is that everyone is just fakin' it.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

MockingQuantum posted:

You can do whatever you want in life.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Just Offscreen posted:

it's cruel to lie to people like this

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Sometimes I stand in the kitchen with a piece of toast in my mouth for hours on end so this really speaks to me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have an anime question. There's that rodent gang trio in Poppy, and the master schemer's name is "Ufu" and all his does is go "Ufufufufu". I get that, that's one of those things from the Japanese mangos the kids all like where someone laughs mischievously while planning. There's also Rugh, who rughs. So then I'm guessing Pipo, the third member of the group, is named after and says some sort of anime term over and over again, except I don't know what the dickens 'Pipo' is. What's 'pipo' from?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

I have an anime question. There's that rodent gang trio in Poppy, and the master schemer's name is "Ufu" and all his does is go "Ufufufufu". I get that, that's one of those things from the Japanese mangos the kids all like where someone laughs mischievously while planning. There's also Rugh, who rughs. So then I'm guessing Pipo, the third member of the group, is named after and says some sort of anime term over and over again, except I don't know what the dickens 'Pipo' is. What's 'pipo' from?

probably not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9Js3RWrlk&t=44s

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 28, 2016

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Edit: nevermind

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 28, 2016

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
"Pipo" is just a funny word.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morbi posted:

when i click on the link in your av chrome freaks out, i think it's the https part

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Tollymain posted:

when i click on the link in your av chrome freaks out, i think it's the https part

Yeah, I've noticed that with links in other people's titles, too.
I don't really feel like throwing down the cash to fix such a minor thing so OH WELL

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Morbi posted:

I don't really feel like throwing down the cash to fix such a minor thing so OH WELL

Breaking: SA forums down forever, Lowtax cites lack of money to pay server fees due to cheapskate users not fixing their broken title text.

In other news: whoa poppy

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Morbi posted:

O-oh.

That's what I get for trying to find extra layers in a gag! :v:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Breaking: SA forums down forever, Lowtax cites lack of money to pay server fees due to cheapskate users not fixing their broken title text.

Yeah I'm going to assume this is related to the prophecy ol' foxdad was saying.

Presumably one that would require a fuckload of """"human"""" sacrifices. I wonder whose eyes will open when it happens? The possum god? The octopus queen? Brock?

Alternative theories:
She's watering the octopus racial tree with the blood of the innocent. Putting their magic into it.
Something something you do this to make dragons by amalgamating people.
She just really wanted a reliable source of fresh streaks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
As long as we're talking about the RRR, who do you think the father is? I'm gonna say Ufu, just because of how uncomfortable Rugh looked in their last appearance.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

As long as we're talking about the RRR, who do you think the father is? I'm gonna say Ufu, just because of how uncomfortable Rugh looked in their last appearance.

I dunno, that could be the look of a guy who just found out his girlfriend is pregnant and now he has to get a real job.

Actually, after reviewing the facts very carefully, thoroughly, and with all seriousness, the father is probably Chickadino.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 28, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, I like Lila. She's literally treating Freidrich like a pet who's having a grump, like when you whisk up a cat into your arms and go "aaawww, who's a grumpy widdle kitty cat?" because you know they hate it. She's great. More Lila please.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They don't even know how poda got in by completely masking her magical signature in the first place. Those spells ain't going to stop her.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I'm going to take a shot in the dark here.

In the early to mid 2000s (2003-2007 to be more precise), I found a webcomic. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what happened to it, because I know the artist was going to turn it into a print thing, but I've lost track of it since I no longer have the computer it was bookmarked on.

All I remember was this:

• Protagonist was a girl who was dropped into another world.
  • Flying was commonplace in this world
  • Another character (a guy) was trying to teach said girl how to fly.
  • Girl figures out how to at an important point, which was really close to the end of what the artist put out
  • There was some elemental thing involved, but that's a bit more hazy
  • I'm pretty sure the site used a blue theme, but I could be wrong

I don't expect anyone to really remember exactly what comic it was, but if you do, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit: go figure, I found it myself: http://remanmyth.felaxx.com/

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 30, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Renaissance Robot posted:

The money Morbi is referring to would be spent on their own part, to get an SSL cert for the poppy site. The forums automatically makes links https I believe.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Man, something really important is happening with the sisterhood in Vattu plotting to murder the emperor, but I still can't tell any of these loving dog people apart and I think the character guide is outdated so that's useless too

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

The money Morbi is referring to would be spent on their own part, to get an SSL cert for the poppy site. The forums automatically makes links https I believe.

Aren't those like 5bux for a year?

Morbi, if you need :10bux: you could just ask. This forum is known for its :10bux:-havers.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 30, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
let's talk abouat itty.s aka webcomcis, a slutty way to amek A LUVING. i jsut want mmoeny but dp ohave to put turgoc breast sin it. stupid loving

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, no one's mentioned Kill Six Billion Demons in a while that I've noticed. Looks like the next update might be a pretty interesting one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

So hey, no one's mentioned Kill Six Billion Demons in a while that I've noticed. Looks like the next update might be a pretty interesting one.

It has its own thread. Everyone is appropriately excited.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

neogeo0823 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, dang. I had no clue.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the same it's good to bring up the good webcomics with their own threads in here every once in a while so people who haven't heard of them can hear of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes read Kill Six Billion Demons

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Aren't those like 5bux for a year?

Morbi, if you need :10bux: you could just ask. This forum is known for its :10bux:-havers.

they're free

(for webcomic-tier purposes, anyway)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of demon-based comics, Ava's Demon finally updated with a big video.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Also demon-based in the wide sense, so did Brainchild.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rand Brittain posted:

It's a hell of a loving video, too. :stare:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rand Brittain posted:

:staredog:

Apparently earlier when Ava said a big performance was about to happen, she actually meant she was going to cover Night on Bald Mountain

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Archenteron posted:

:staredog:

Apparently earlier when Ava said a big performance was about to happen, she actually meant she was going to cover Night on Bald Mountain

At first I was saying "stop faffing about and attack" but it looks like she outclassed her opponent all along and was just doing the full Knights of the Round animation as an artistic statement.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
And here I thought the Ava's Demon author was just faffing about this whole time.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I watched that video, then went and read the whole comic since it was pretty and cool. Ava's Demon is good, but I wish I had waited another five or six years to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

aegof posted:

I watched that video, then went and read the whole comic since it was pretty and cool. Ava's Demon is good, but I wish I had waited another fifty or sixty years to read it.

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread