Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think in TAS Harley's a pretty good mix between being entertaining and funny in her own right, while being sympathetic and tragic for the abuse and manipulation she's suffered at the hands of the Joker.

She's definitely a character that's very easy to flanderize and write horribly, like in the Arkham games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

People probably like the idea of the character of Harle more than the actual character.

I dunno, I enjoyed the second half of her first solo series because it took a comical but immoral character and put them in unnerving situations, but my favorite Deadpool is the one in Cable and Deadpool, so I'm probably not the typical appreciator of those type of characters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll admit it's kinda dumb but the current Harley series isn't terrible and can be fun sometimes. And yeah she doesn't have time for joker's bullshit anymore. She hates him now.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know I'm really amused that people think Jared Leto's behavior on the Suicide Squad set is "method acting" when him acting like an asshat seems to be his default state of being.

"Jared Leto posted:

“I don’t use the term ‘method’. I think it’s kind of a polluted word. What I do is just try to focus and commit as much as possible so that I can do the story, the film, the character and everybody else justice. That’s it.”

"I'm not a method actor, I'm just a dipshit."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Roth posted:

I think in TAS Harley's a pretty good mix between being entertaining and funny in her own right, while being sympathetic and tragic for the abuse and manipulation she's suffered at the hands of the Joker.

She's definitely a character that's very easy to flanderize and write horribly, like in the Arkham games.

The weird part is that every single piece of media after TAS (except for maybe her spin-offs, I have no clue what happens in those), including stuff written by Bruce Timm, basically forgot Harley is supposed to be a sympathetic character at heart. Otherwise you get this feeling where the narrative is smugly gloating over a woman being "dumb enough" to get into an abusive relationship.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can't really have Harley Quinn move on from the Joker anymore than you can have Miles Morales move on from Peter Parker

You can say anything you want about wanting to be an independent person with your own mojo but if you're still aping the other guy's gimmick that poo poo sounds hollower than a cheap chocolate Easter bunny.

I'd say the bigger problem with comics Harley is the fact that comics Joker is a completely irredeemable piece of garbage who is kept alive almost exclusively because of his market value. Animated Joker was a crazy jerk, but he was probably less immediately threatening than say, Two-Face or even Scarecrow. As opposed to the comics, where he's been an unstable mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Cobra Commander, and Jason Voorhees for a while now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

pretty true of every Jared I know

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OnimaruXLR posted:

You can't really have Harley Quinn move on from the Joker anymore than you can have Miles Morales move on from Peter Parker
Eh. Batman got away from The Shadow and Zorro.

You'd probably need a writer to treat her as a weird Legacy character to enable that kind of progression though.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

FilthyImp posted:

You'd probably need a writer to treat her as a weird Legacy character to enable that kind of progression though.

I don't think he's implying moving away from the inspiration/source material but rather which character inspired/shaped the other character within the comics themselves.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FilthyImp posted:

Batman didn't have to share a universe with Zorro and The Shadow. That made it easier I'd imagine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

Batman didn't have to share a universe with Zorro and The Shadow. That made it easier I'd imagine.
True enough. Moving Harle into her own niche would be like a Batman/Batwoman thing then.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SonicRulez posted:

Well, I mean, sorta.

(Yes, yes, I know)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

hiddenriverninja posted:

pretty true of every Jared I know

If they really wanted an edgy, truly terrifying Joker, they should have went with Jared Fogle.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

A brief apocalyptic vision just hit me of Max Landis writing a Teen Titans movie with either Toyman or Dr. light as the villian

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Perry Normal posted:

"I'm not a method actor, I'm just a dipshit."

I'm just appalled he thought mailing an african american woman a bunch of bullets in this day and age was acceptable under any circumstances.

I don't blame Davis for being pissed.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just appalled he thought mailing an african american woman a bunch of bullets in this day and age was acceptable under any circumstances.

I don't blame Davis for being pissed.

It's not acceptable, that's what makes it cuh-RAZY!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe he secretly lusts for death and wants her to kill him

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's what's great about the Joker, he says what's on his music me and isn't worried about PC gone mad. Make America Laugh Again

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
LITMUS TEST!!!

Can you make it past 5 seconds of this Suicide Squad review video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDPgE29bmU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Made it about 16 seconds.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Roth posted:

How Harley Quinn Takes On Our Hyper-Sensitive World: http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-harley-quinn-costume-controversy/

I can't wait for Harley Quinn to end the menace of Political Correctness

FUN FACT: David Ayer is an ex-military dudebro and his films reflect this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Nope.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

The only winning move is not to click.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think I even want to watch the movie anymore after that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sinners Sandwich posted:

A brief apocalyptic vision just hit me of Max Landis writing a Teen Titans movie with either Toyman or Dr. light as the villian

I'll ask the dumb question. What would be wrong with that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SonicRulez posted:

I'll ask the dumb question. What would be wrong with that?
LOL RAPE IS AWESOME.

What? Why are all your PeeCee EssDoubleYouJayssss such little bitches about it ???

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think I could handle a terrible live action Teen Titans movie.

I already feel like an idiot for sticking with the team through so much garbage lately.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Saw dudes face and gave up instantly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FilthyImp posted:

LOL RAPE IS AWESOME.

What? Why are all your PeeCee EssDoubleYouJayssss such little bitches about it ???

Ok. I read Shocker: Legit. I watched his idea for Death of Superman. I know Landis can be edgy in an awful way.

When and where did he say rape was awesome?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SonicRulez posted:

Ok. I read Shocker: Legit. I watched his idea for Death of Superman. I know Landis can be edgy in an awful way.

When and where did he say rape was awesome?

You can't be this dense, no one can.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

I'm the terribly weak green filter that kicks in suddenly at 0:06.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CharlestheHammer posted:

He likes Sonic games.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FilthyImp posted:

I'm the terribly weak green filter that kicks in suddenly at 0:06.

I'm the annotation 30 seconds in apologizing for the bad editing.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

site posted:

The only winning move is not to click.

I lost.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Putting rape in a teen titans adaptation would just be faithful to the comic's history.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
In this trailer, a Titan dies!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

I made it 3 seconds, holy poo poo no

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CharlestheHammer posted:

I kinda thought someone might explain why they thought Landis wasn't a talented enough writer to write fuckin Cyborg. Instead I got 3 poo poo posts.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Max Landis sucks and would probably do a bad job at writing a couple of rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Grem posted:

Max Landis sucks and would probably do a bad job at writing a couple of rapists.

I don't know, they say write what you know

• Locked thread