Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

IAmTheRad posted:

I harvested the ears and noses of prisoners and let them go free.

I am a horrible monster.

Nah, that's how things are meant to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Should I build my base into a mountain, a la Dwarf Fortress, or is it better to build outside?
A walled encampment outside is generally safest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I had a wanderer join. He immediately had a mental break because he was naked.

Like, as soon as he entered the map.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well yeah, now that he's in a colony everyone can see his tiny wang.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Gilok posted:

Well yeah, now that he's in a colony everyone can see his tiny wang.

All 1 of them? I did the rich explorer start.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
This game.

I did the rich explorer start and was doing well. I successfully defended my first 2 raids and was building turrets when the 3rd raid alert popped up. 4 raiders, 2 with handguns, 1 shotgun and molotovs. Being alone with a Charge rifle, I figured I had 50/50 odds on making it out alive. I've had really bad luck with fire in this game, so rather than risk my base to fire from the molotovs I decided to engage the raiders in the field since there was decent cover in the area they were coming from. Using a small Marble structure that was on the map naturally, I ducked and wove around the openings while firing and maneuvering. The molotov thrower went down first, followed by the shotgunner. Then I had an extended, max range shootout with both pistol wielders. I took a few hits and managed to down the 3rd and the remaining retreated.

Bloody and bruised, I limped back to base to try and sleep it off in my medical bed. As I got home, a group of visitors from another settlement stopped by and said Hello. Two of the visitors got into a social fight with each other, and one ended up killing the other. The Chief was enraged and blamed me for it, and the tribe turned hostile while inside my base.

Unconscious in my medical bed, I was beaten to death by the remaining 3 tribesmen with clubs. Game over.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't played this game in a long time, tons of patches ago. Even Randy Random on basebuilder was enough to kill me as a heat wave, boar man hunter pack, and the stress from my small organ harvesting operation was enough to cause several mental breaks at once.

I probably should have buried my dead instead of putting them into cold storage to make kibble as well...

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Modding this game is getting to be kind of weird. People keep reporting bugs I just can't replicate at all, like chess tables vanishing the instant they get constructed. They claim they're not using any other mods, but it sounds like a weird mod conflict issue to me and i've got no idea what to do about it.

Aside from a few quirks like recipes just flat out not working if they have no input (no deep drilling for ore without bringing a charcoal to the drill machine I guess), i'm glad this game is easy to mod for the most part, though I haven't touched upon making .dll files yet. I'm in the process of making a mod to expand the amount of descriptions in sculptures, and I can only add more events for colonists to remember with scripting, which means i'll have to make a .dll. Sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Captain Ironblood posted:

boar man hunter pack

I could only read this as a hunting pack of boar men arrived and immediately thought of this showing up to attack you:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I am a horrible monster.

They should take a page from Path of Exile's Necromancer Master character and add in flesh sculptures.

Would add diversity for all you organ-harvesters out there.

Materials

Human Flesh - 100
Nose - 1
Ear - 2
Eye - 2
Limbs, assorted - 4

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

I put two batteries next to my solar panel, with another solar panel a little further off. Did the batteries only charge off the solar panel they were touching or both of them?

batteries charge off the entire electrical grid, and discharge to everything on the grid. you can isolate parts of the grid with switches

Rookersh posted:

I had a timber wolf bonded pet for my crazy character ( I went with the bored explorer start ), who had 12? 14? 16? in Animal Handling. I clicked the training buttons for Obedience and Haul on the wolf, but she never went to go train it? I even manually went to my Work tab and set Animal Handling to 1, and everything else to 4/0 and she still wouldn't go train the wolf. What am I missing here?

if the labor is on and high priority you're probably missing food to train with - go hunt a critter and feed the dog raw meat or turn the meat into kibble. or pick some berries

Rookersh posted:

As I said, went solo start. Around day 4? or 5 as I was building my defenses another person showed up and joined me, and told me I had a village now. Is this the norm for the solo start, or did I just get "lucky" ( she had terrible stats and had the argue trait, so ).

on all starts you usually get a wanderer who joins you in the first couple days, and it also happens randomly (and very rarely). this is why you always want to have a spare bed handy

Rookersh posted:

Also on that note, when I got my first raid, it was a single naked person with a club. Is that the average, or did I just get lucky. Having a pulse rifle and two turrets made that a pretty chill raid.

raids scale based on difficulty and colony wealth. if you've started on a low difficulty then the first raid will be really pathetic, like one naked dude with a stick

Rookersh posted:

How do you make food? I placed down 4 growing areas, one for potato/strawberries/corn/strawberries. I never got around to picking them, but I built an electric stove area. Is there another part of the process I'm missing there? I'd rather not end up starving after my food starts getting made entirely because I didn't know how to cook it.

you have to plant crops, wait for them to grow, then harvest them. this will create vegetable objects. or you can cut up a corpse at a butcher table to make meat objects. colonists can eat these things raw, but they don't like that mostly - you can eat berries and corn raw, though. use a cooking stove to create meals. i prefer to use veg-only simple meals and save meat for fine meals or dog food. use a cooler to bring the temperature of a room below freezing and your food will never rot

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So a raid came to my base and was promptly butchered by my well trained team lead by top shooty guy "Goat".

Goat then fell madly in love with and proposed to the only surviving and badly injured raider who was wrighting on the floor outside my base. After he valiantly captured her and stuffed her into a hospital bed she dies in like 5 seconds, and a golden retreaver named "lady" dragged the corpse out of the bed and into the fields in front of a horrified Goat.

Now he's sad his raid-time sweetheart died and has a 40 day -20 value on his mood menu.

What a game.

e: "This portrayal tells the story of the training of the labrador retriever on the 6th of winter, 5499"

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 1, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

I am a horrible monster.

I've been taking eyes and arms as I frequently need those as they tend to get damaged or shot off on my colonists. Generally I harvest organs and let most of the prisoners go. I keep a few prisoners around for practice, as in because I generally run a surplus of organs I remove and replace organs repeatedly on my prisoners until the stockpile goes - it's a fantastic way to improve doctor skill.

Anyway the point is just when I was getting bored of not having any visitors I got a radio call from someone being chased by raiders - I immediately offer the caller protection as my prison was fully empty and I was down to less than 2000 kibble.

I watch the refugee make it into the safety of my base and promptly have a mental breakdown because "My organs were harvested!" - turns out this was a former prisoner with no eyes 1 arm and 2 peg legs - and she was MAD. Sadly for her, her justifiable rage was misdirected towards one of my wargs whom she decided to attack in her berserker rage and was promptly killed and dragged off to the body freezer to be turned into kibble along with all the dead raiders.

It's too bad really, if she had just waited, she could have picked whichever eyes and legs she wanted from the handful of surviving raiders....

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if the labor is on and high priority you're probably missing food to train with - go hunt a critter and feed the dog raw meat or turn the meat into kibble. or pick some berries

I'm fairly sure all predators including wolves/wargs/etc are strict carnivores in this game, although I think a meal with a meat ingredient (and probably kibble) will do OK too.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
How is development for this game? Prison Architect had a good monthly update schedule that definitely inspired confidence in the end product. Is this another half-finished survival game that will get a 1.0 slapped on at some point? Popped up on my Steam recently and it looks promising.

Edit: I'm asking because their Steam page specifically say : "we might stop developing now, or in two years, who knows!" And that makes me wary.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than his (planned and announced) hiatus between 0.11 and 0.12 (or .10 and .11?) he's been pretty good about monthly updates with decent feature changes. The steam release finally integrated a bunch of essentially must-have UI mods so that's encouraging.

I've not been disappointed with the amount of activity since the kickstarter anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say my key takeaway is that the game isn't half finished, you could release it as a complete game, it works near perfectly and is plenty of fun, expansions of systems and content at this point will certainly help the game but aren't needed to make it playable or fun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm just hoping he'll focus on adding more scenario's, "goals" and events/animals to spice thing up abit once he's satisfied with the base game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm fairly sure all predators including wolves/wargs/etc are strict carnivores in this game, although I think a meal with a meat ingredient (and probably kibble) will do OK too.

Wargs are the only strict carnivores, I believe, and require raw meat or bodies. Not kibble, not meals. Wolves will eat kibble at the very least and I think they'll eat veggie meals as well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

How is development for this game? Prison Architect had a good monthly update schedule that definitely inspired confidence in the end product. Is this another half-finished survival game that will get a 1.0 slapped on at some point? Popped up on my Steam recently and it looks promising.

Edit: I'm asking because their Steam page specifically say : "we might stop developing now, or in two years, who knows!" And that makes me wary.

I asked the same question and took the plunge.

This is a 1.0 that's being helmed by a madman who wants to keep developing it until he's bored.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

StarMinstrel posted:

I just picked up the game last week and it feels like a complete product right now. I'm blown away by the fact that it's still in alpha at this point. Even if they completely stopped development right now, the existing game is deep and moddable enough for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

This and Stardew Valley have been my favorite two indie games out recently. I spent this weekend completely binging on Rimworld.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I just picked up the game last week and it feels like a complete product right now. I'm blown away by the fact that it's still in alpha at this point. Even if they completely stopped development right now, the existing game is deep and moddable enough for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

This and Stardew Valley have been my favorite two indie games out recently. I spent this weekend completely binging on Rimworld.

I have spent way more time and both this and Stardew than I have on any AAA game in recent memory other than perhaps MGS5. Indie studios are really putting out great games recently.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
This game is stupid fun. I rolled a group with a father and son, where in the father was dating his kid's ex-wife. It ended in bloodshed when the kid killed his father, and the dog killed the remaining two.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My colonies never survive to some cool story ending. They always end with half my colonists in a permanent state of "Standing" because something broke and the AI engine is incapable of making them do anything

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Azhais posted:

My colonies never survive to some cool story ending. They always end with half my colonists in a permanent state of "Standing" because something broke and the AI engine is incapable of making them do anything

Do you tinker with the tab for prioritizing tasks? Once I got that down the game made a lot more sense. That and zones are the core of the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting ready for a new game.

What are some cool mods that CCL allows? Community Core Library is always at the top of the mod list in the workshop but I never see any mods that need it.

Does anyone know if Hospitality is still breaking Joy?

Is Colony Manager compatible with Work Tabs? Both look like huge quality of life improvements.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I haven't had any problem with hospitality.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gilok posted:

I haven't had any problem with hospitality.

That's good to hear. People were saying that maybe it or some other joy-affecting mod was just totally breaking joy a few weeks/pages back. Glad that if there was a problem its fixed now.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

actually, now that I think about it I did get an error like "Faction Spacer has no defined SpawnPawnItems" or something like that. I think it was trying to have a faction visit me that doesn't actually spawn pawns normally.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting ready for a new game.

What are some cool mods that CCL allows? Community Core Library is always at the top of the mod list in the workshop but I never see any mods that need it.

Does anyone know if Hospitality is still breaking Joy?

Is Colony Manager compatible with Work Tabs? Both look like huge quality of life improvements.

I think ccl is required for any of the menu optimization stuff. download it first, activate that mod before anything else, quit out and reload game with the mods you want to install

I am a newbie also but installed most the menu mods including colony manager which definately requires ccl. Colony manager adds a management desk that needs built and a menu tab that presumably gets used once the desk is built. I've not had a colony last long enough to use it though, compliments of rough randy (goddamn super elephant)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Well that was an intense loving "real" game 2.

Went shipwrecked ( with an animals/shooter, a doctor/melee, and a generic mixed random character ), immediately started building some nice houses. Then got my farm up and running, felt like I was doing well.

Then I decided to keep building my perfect little housing area for the two eventual recruits I'd get through freebie/raid. That worked pretty well. Started fleshing out a main hall I wanted to use as my cooking area/dining hall, blah blah. Had to mine my way through a bit of a mountain, but figured it was fine. What could go wrong.

Suddenly realized I had maybe 4 more meals left from my landing, and literally zero other food. My farms weren't ready to produce for easily another week or two. gently caress. Set out orders to start hunting anything, rabbits, alpaca, -anything-.

Huge problem is that my animals/shooter guy who had 9 shooting can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. Eventually give up on him hunting and send out my knife doctor. She kills 5 rabbits an, alpaca, and a turkey without slowing down. Great!

gently caress I don't have a kitchen yet since my town hall was only halfway built. Whatever! I need to cook this meat.

Oh gently caress, I don't have a freezer. Quickly turn one of my bunkhouses into a freezer. Oh god coolers need energy. Quickly make a wood powered engine.

As my last awake colonist heads to bed, I have her quickly go take all the meat into the cooler, praying it'll go frozen overnight. It's all just thrown on the ground which is still covered in dirt, but -whatever-.

Hour passes, two hours, three hours. Suddenly I check it again "Frozen - Won't Spoil."

Half my base still isn't finished, but I have meat for days!

Then I hosed it up almost immediately after by recruiting the first raider that got sent to me. His arm got cut off in the fighting, and as soon as he joined he went insane and stabbed two of my colonists to death. This was followed by knife doctor finally finding out that alpacas mean business and getting hosed up trying to stab it to death.

Learned a whole bunch though. Learned to go start gathering meat ASAP and get a kitchen running quickly. Learned why a cook is important. Learned to not put my freezer on the other side of the colony from my kitchen. Learned to actually build electricity early so I can rely on batteries later. Learned why having a single person that's both your hunter, cook and builder means they are basically useless when you need them most.

This game is so good!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
My game two:

Mo is a hunter ranged/melee fighter dude, also kind of a jack of all trades. Jess is a lazy crafter and researcher. And boooooy do I mean lazy. Last chick Gore is a docotor.

Mo quickly becomes my favorite. He is everywhere, doing everything. Hunts. Farms. Slaughters. Cooks. Chops wood, build houses, trains the dog Scottie, never wears shirts. Even finds time to lay the mack down on Gore in between getting poo poo done, and he does the lion's share.

Jess is ALWAYS loving off. Occasionally builds something. I make her spend all her time mining and stonecutting. Gore is somewhat better, but mostly just plants crops and research.

Evil beavers move in and begin eating all the trees. I left them alone, but Gore wanders out and decides to hunt, angers them, and gets chased across the map. I send out Mo and he blasts two before i retreat, yet the dog bites the poo poo out of a beaver, but gets jumped by a nearby Panther and killed. Mo leads the beavers back to the compound and the colonists organize and kill them all. I send Mo back out and he blasts the Panther 6 times.

Colonists get treated for minor bite wounds. Things seem to stabilize. I begin replacing all the wood constructions to marble and granite. I deconstruct a wall and door, but Jess gets loving sleepy, wanders off and doesn't build anything else leaving a big hole. That night a big, fast, pissed off elephant circles my settlement, lets himself in, and tramples everyone to death as they wake up to get breakfast.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

This game gets really evil sometimes. I had a nice colony going, 6 up, walls all around, food for ages. This was basically the goon village: all 3 starting players had a combined social score of 1, and were all large.

I get hit by a small raid. Nothing too bad, though I have injuries to two of my guys, and take 2 prisoners, who are at 99% resistance for recruitment, and slowly pulled apart for black market organs.

I get a prompt to rescue a refugee, who also happens to be the father of a village. He is being chased by a much larger raid that is managable but still noteworthy... but just before the battle, a power conduit shorts smack in the middle of a bunch of wooden buildings dead center in my village, and right under my storage, kitchen, hospital, and kitchen. Most of the buildings with people in it are flush against the mountain so there is no way out :psyduck:

So it ends up being 3v6 fight at the front gate while my new guy attempts to fight flames to defend the two incapacitated villagers. One of my people up front gets stabbed in the head and dies, but all 8 raiders are defeated. But at the heart of my base is a horror show... all the medicine is gone, I have two standing, wounded guys, almost all my prepared food and storage is gone, and my rescued villager was downed in the flames, and totally covered in burns and missing limbs. One of my people in the bed died, and the other was well on the way to death. One prisoner burnt to death, and the other was down a few limbs and organs due to flames and surgery.

From there on the game just had it out for me. My other villager died in short order, and so did the new guy. I get the fire out and start rebuilding asap since I need the AC since it's a heat wave.. while both are out hunting, a crop blight hit, wiping out 95% of what I had left. And shortly after another fire in the freshly rebuilt area. This time it moves and burns down the retaining wall, managing to let in a heard of boomcows right into the fires. The flames are way too much for my two guys, and one goes down. The only remaining bed is the prison, which is occupied by the burnt idiot who I've been torturing.

As the last standing villager makes a b line to stamp out his burning partner, the partner dies, and the downed player's cat--which is untrainable, and does not give a gently caress about anyone--goes mad. The cat takes down the unsuspecting villager, who slowly burns to death in a mess of fire and boomcows.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of colony deaths seem to be a bunch of random horrible poo poo happening all at once because the story teller felt like it needed to die.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has there been a must have mod list posted somewhere on the Internet? These menus suck!

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Wasn't truly sold on this game until a combination of psychic drone on my all female colonists, a heat wave, and an eclipse combined to cause half my colony to go completely berserk, ending up with a 16 year old girl desperately trying to escape psychotic knife wielding, half dead colonists in hallways splashed with vomit and Yorkshire Terrier blood.

Truly a successor to Dwarf Fortress

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Oh god I don't have enough hunters to slaughter all the rabbits and they are overrunning my colony gently caress.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Set up some IEDs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Oh god, I'm playing this for the first time in months as a rich adventurer scenario. My colonist is psychopathic so I'm killing everyone who attempts to join the colony so I can remain a hermit, but anyway a manhunting boomalope appeared on the map and I kept missing my shots. It was headbutting my and broke my left leg but I managed to get out of range and finish it off and the explosion was uncomfortably close. I'm in a rainforest, so the fire started spreading toward my wooden base and I was scrambling to build a small concrete firebreak to save my bedroom and stockpiles despite a broken leg and physical exhaustion as the fire spread closer and closer, and then thankfully a thunderstorm appeared and saved me when the fire was only 4 tiles from my buildings.

e: I died of plague about 3 days later.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I had a game where eight (8) Yorkshire Terriers decided to join my colony at once. What does one do with 8 Yorkshire Terriers, who can't haul etc.? I have no idea, but I am impressed it's even an option. :stwoon:

Rookersh posted:

Well that was an intense loving "real" game 2.

:words:

I'm usually not overly obsessed with speed in the beginning. Berries and some raw meat usually tide me over until I have at least a basic hall (with beds) and a Food Dispenser thingie set up (which I keep in case cooking for some reason fails to work), and until the first harvest. I also feel like you don't really have to rush the freezer that much, since they consume stuff quickly enough in the beginning before you start establishing (and because I played my first few attempts for a surprisingly long time without any refrigeration or heating, for that matter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Slaughter them for meat or sell them to traders.

Unless they can be trained to haul in which case you train them because they can haul.