Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Loel posted:

Saw this in the RNC thread, seemed worth quoting

I think that the response of his supporters (i.e. claiming that this, like everything else he does, is part of a brilliant scheme) fits the topic more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Night10194 posted:

It was just posted, I think.

I mean, I suppose it's true that he's the nominee, at least.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/factchecking-trumps-big-speech/

Here is a better link.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The beginnings of Trump's breakdown may be under way.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/31/is-donald-trump-ok-erratic-behaviour-raises-mental-health-questions.html

You may have been correct again PJ.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I wouldn't doubt it. The RNC represented the absolute peak for Trump, in terms of "supply". Thousands of adoring supporters, round-the-clock media coverage, and the GOP leadership kissing his ring, finally ending with officially becoming the party's nominee for the most prominent position in the world. Now it's time for the nitty-gritty of the general campaign, and he does not have the attention span for it, nor does he have the self-control to not make snap responses to criticism (and boy, is there a lot of that on the way). It's all downhill from here, and I think he knows it.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 1, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I wouldn't doubt it. The RNC represented the absolute peak for Trump. Thousands of adoring supporters, round-the-clock media coverage, and the GOP leadership kissing his ring, finally ending with officially becoming the party's nominee for the most prominent position in the world. Now it's time for the nitty-gritty of the general campaign, and he does not have the attention span for it, nor does he have the self-control to not make snap responses to criticism (and boy, is there a lot of that on the way). It's all downhill from here, and I think he knows it.

I also think the DNC hurt him a lot. People were paying attention to someone else, after all, and so soon after his big triumph. Probably why he gave that insane press conference in the middle of it to get attention back on him.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Oh yeah, definitely. That the DNC pulled better ratings overall stung him something fierce, not to mention the quality of speakers they had relative to the RNC. Which, naturally, leads to an open call for a foreign power to hack into US State Dept servers. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm kinda confused, do people who don't support him really think Trump has more than a snowball's chance in hell to win this election?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

my dad posted:

I'm kinda confused, do people who don't support him really think Trump has more than a snowball's chance in hell to win this election?
There was some panicking after the RNC bounce. Now things are going back to normal, except Trump is making what is probably his biggest and highest-profile misstep yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

my dad posted:

We're still far enough out that it's dangerous to assume Hillary has it in the bag. It's unlikely Trump will win, but a lot can happen in three months.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

When the snowball might destroy the world if it makes it through hell, it really gives you the urge to follow it with a hairdryer.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194 posted:

When the snowball might destroy the world if it makes it through hell, it really gives you the urge to follow it with a hairdryer.

He's not a goddamn horseman of the apocalypse. G.W.Bush level of bad, by which I mean millions of people dead due to a mixture of incompetence and malice and I might even be one of them this time level of horrific, but not exactly world-ending. :v:

Also, sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but what's the deal with the discount bin strasserites who loudly supported Sanders while standing against half the dude's platform? Narrativist kind of crazy, something about his campaign, right-wing political infiltration to disrupt the dems, or just a bad case of 'Man no vote for woman'?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

40 percent of Americans will vote for him no matter what. That is more than a snowball's chance. Resting on your laurels because it's unlikely gets you Brexit or Scott Brown.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my dad posted:

Remember that nobody thought he had a snowball's chance in Hell to even make it to the RNC, let alone get nominated. Everyone thought he was going to peter out after a few months of campaigning and an established GOP figure like Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz would take the nomination. And then everyone got progressively more worried as Trump's numbers continued to rise and candidates continued to drop out, until here we are.

The only thing that's keeping people from abandoning the United States out of fear is that Trump's very nomination has fragmented the Republican party even further than it already has, as Prester Jane explained. More moderate Republicans (even the ones who are crazy assholes but aren't as much of a crazy rear end in a top hat as Trump) have started speaking out against him, especially as Trump continues to say more and more unbelievably awful things and seemingly suffers a mental breakdown. Assuming the radical right doesn't rally around him to keep Clinton out of the White House, Trump may very well drive enough members of his own party away to cost him the election.

quote:

He's not a goddamn horseman of the apocalypse. G.W.Bush level of bad, by which I mean millions of people dead due to a mixture of incompetence and malice and I might even be one of them this time level of horrific, but not exactly world-ending. :v:

He's not personally going to nuke Europe (probably), but a Republican victory in November would open up the Legislative branch to greater right-wing influence than it already has. And George W. Bush was a nutbag, but Trump is outright bizarre and crazy and hasn't got a shred of political experience.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 1, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

my dad posted:

Also, sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but what's the deal with the discount bin strasserites who loudly supported Sanders while standing against half the dude's platform? Narrativist kind of crazy, something about his campaign, right-wing political infiltration to disrupt the dems, or just a bad case of 'Man no vote for woman'?
Radical anti-establishment, younger voters who hate the idea of 'the man', but have no real political identity beyond that. They'll vote for whoever is the most 'outsider'. This demographic was all about Ron Paul in previous years.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

my dad posted:

It's more than that. Trump represents a kind of nakedly racist and ignorant politics that belongs on a children's show television, not in the real world. It's not enough for him to lose the election. I want to see him loving destroyed. I want to see a landslide of historic proportion, a defeat that stomps him and his brand of identity politics back in to the loving dirt for another few decades.

Can he win? Like Pakled said, a lot can happen in three months. It seems enormously unlikely. But even if his defeat is inevitable, I feel a moral obligation to do my best to put the loving boot in and bring Hillary in to the White House on a popular mandate that defies any accusations of impropriety.

Trumpo Delenda Est.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Radical anti-establishment, younger voters who hate the idea of 'the man', but have no real political identity beyond that. They'll vote for whoever is the most 'outsider'. This demographic was all about Ron Paul in previous years.

They tend to not actually show up at the polls, though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

my dad posted:

For me it's not so much "anyone but Trump" as "anyone but a Republican". The last thing we need is the president, a majority of Congress, and the majority of the Supreme Court all being from the party that wants to roll things back to a 1950s that never actually existed. The fact that the GOP nominee is a horrible goblin-clown of some sort is just icing on the cake.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

You're wrong on every level. GW Bush, for all his bad decisions, had a basic understanding of the function of government, saw the value in participating in existing treaties and agreements, and was not a hair-trigger narcissistic child.

Billions could die under Trump, unless he was taken out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also remember that Bush was actually a politician when he ran for president. He had experience working in the field and at least understood the basics, even if he was bad at them.

Trump has NO experience. He's not even a good businessman; virtually all of his successes were thanks to the efforts of others, and his personal deals often collapsed or faced legal scrutiny. Multiple deals had arrangements so he would get rich anyway while the business failed. His entire image as a successful businessman is a fiction.

Trump wouldn't know what to do with the reins of power if he got them, other than using it for himself. He's woefully uneducated on the reality of the political field, which doesn't matter because he's just in this for himself. He's literally a petulant child trying to get a loaded gun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bush was a slow learner with some dumb ideas. Trump literally has an untreated personality disorder. His approach to being president is to have the Vice President do everything for him. He has gone bankrupt more than twice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Bush was a slow learner with some dumb ideas. Trump literally has an untreated personality disorder. His approach to being president is to have the Vice President do everything for him. He has gone bankrupt more than twice.

This can't be stressed enough. The only reason every psychiatrist in the world hasn't come out and said "holy poo poo this guy is mentally ill" is because their professional standards forbid it. It's so obvious that he's one of the few people that can be diagnosed on television. 40 percent of the country is going to vote for a madman; not a madman like Hitler or Stalin, pressed by circumstances and indifferent to human life; a madman like, a madman.

e: Yet this isn't even the part that makes him unable to govern. If he combined his narcissism with a penetrating intellect he might be competent, he might have been able to guide his businesses to real success by comprehending the nature of success. But instead, he is a thoroughly stupid man cloaked in the trappings of wealth purely through accident of birth. His accrual of wealth, for the amount he started with, is so gradual and market-average that it definitely counts as poor investment strategy. So his business record looks like that of a low-income salesman who is selling Cutco knives one week, Herbalife the next. Crazy can govern; crazy and stupid cannot.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 2, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He responded to someone challenging him to prove that he had read the constitution by saying that he was viciously attacked and that he sacrificed more for America than a soldier killed in combat. He says that there is nobody more humble than he is, that we're never going to believe how humble he is. He responded to questions about how obviously fat he is with a doctor's note by his publicist saying that he's the healthiest patient the doctor has seen in years.

I'm guessing he's pretty high on the scale as far as narcissists go.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but just look at how impressive Trump's eye bags are in this interview. http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/donald-trump-41028199

I'd say that's pretty solid evidence of PJ's assertion that he's not sleeping much/at all right now if I've ever seen any. He's just going to get more and more unhinged until his body just physically can't take it anymore. And then watch the gently caress out.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/PGourevitch/status/760259258759909379

Ummmm :stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For some reason I'm reminded of a journalist's assessment of McNamara as a supremely arrogant bully who used his admittedly impressive intellect to humiliate people who were perhaps not as smart as him, but who knew things he didn't. Somehow we are seeing a man who shares McNamara's taste for tearing others apart to feed his own ego, but does not come close to sharing his intelligence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

He responded to someone challenging him to prove that he had read the constitution by saying that he was viciously attacked and that he sacrificed more for America than a soldier killed in combat. He says that there is nobody more humble than he is, that we're never going to believe how humble he is. He responded to questions about how obviously fat he is with a doctor's note by his publicist saying that he's the healthiest patient the doctor has seen in years.

I'm guessing he's pretty high on the scale as far as narcissists go.

That's the thing, he's all over the place ALL the time now because he has always had to respond to every attack on him. Back when he was a B-list celebrity, he could handle that by hanging out in his office all day writing angry notes to Garry Trudeau in sharpie, calling him a loser. But now he has to spend time responding to half the drat country attacking him and he is visibly decompensating before our eyes. I could see this race ending with his actual base fracturing as he says more unhinged and despicable poo poo, his support dropping to 25% and him bowing out of the race with either an angry press conference, a stroke or both.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SedanChair posted:

That's the thing, he's all over the place ALL the time now because he has always had to respond to every attack on him. Back when he was a B-list celebrity, he could handle that by hanging out in his office all day writing angry notes to Garry Trudeau in sharpie, calling him a loser. But now he has to spend time responding to half the drat country attacking him and he is visibly decompensating before our eyes. I could see this race ending with his actual base fracturing as he says more unhinged and despicable poo poo, his support dropping to 25% and him bowing out of the race with either an angry press conference, a stroke or both.

Isn't he also addicted to 'diet pills' and a fat man in his 70s? I've been wondering for awhile if there's a decent chance his black and vile heart just explodes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

“I think we have widespread brown people voting, but the first thing that Trump needs to do is begin talking about it constantly,” Stone said. “He needs to say for example, today would be a perfect example: ‘I am leading in Florida. The polls all show it. If I lose Florida, we will know that there’s brown people voting. If there’s brown people voting, this election will be illegitimate, the election of the winner will be illegitimate, we will have a constitutional crisis, widespread civil disobedience, and the government will no longer be the government.’”

“If you can’t have an honest election, nothing else counts,” he continued. “I think he’s gotta put them on notice that their inauguration will be a rhetorical, and when I mean civil disobedience, not violence, but it will be a bloodbath. The government will be shut down if they attempt to steal this and swear Hillary in. No, we will not stand for it. We will not stand for it.”

“So, I mean the dream here, the ultimate ideal is that he wins by such a significant margin nationally that this is unnecessary,” Yiannopoulos concluded. “But it’s interesting to hear you say this, and it’s funny also, because Trump will go there. He will go to the places other politicians wont, and he’s probably the only person to run for president within the last fifty years who would dare to do this, and might even get away with it. It’s remarkable isn’t it how he’s just sort of re-injected reality into politics”.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Night10194 posted:

Isn't he also addicted to 'diet pills' and a fat man in his 70s? I've been wondering for awhile if there's a decent chance his black and vile heart just explodes.

Great another vince foster conspiracy theory in the making.

e: lmao this word filter

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
One of my fears is that Trump will be completely unable to accept losing the election if and when that happens. Remember that one of the primary traits of narrativist thinking is the inability to accept a clear failure of their cause. I could honestly imagine seeing Trump declaring that Hillary won through widespread voting fraud and a lot of his supporters completely believing him. We could very well end up with a large portion of the populace believing that the federal government is a fully illegitimate authority. I would imagine a series of sizable but half-assed neo-succesionist movements.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

One of my fears is that Trump will be completely unable to accept losing the election if and when that happens. Remember that one of the primary traits of narrativist thinking is the inability to accept a clear failure of their cause. I could honestly imagine seeing Trump declaring that Hillary won through widespread voting fraud and a lot of his supporters completely believing him. We could very well end up with a large portion of the populace believing that the federal government is a fully illegitimate authority. I would imagine a series of sizable but half-assed neo-succesionist movements.

Well we aren't going to have /pol/ and Stormfront come out of the blue and start revolts on a nationwide scale, that's for sure. It's really weird when I see other posters on others site thinking he's just going to smugly be in the background or leave with grace, when it has been clearly apparent that he gets worse day by day. This is the biggest high he'll ever get and after that it's all downhill.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
If and hopefully when he loses, I wouldn't be surprised if we see literal violent riots by his supporters, too, particularly with the violence aimed against those they see as The Other.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Those riots will then be brutally suppressed by the police that the rioters themselves supported the militarization of. The irony of this will be lost on them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pavlov posted:

Those riots will then be brutally suppressed by the police that the rioters themselves supported the militarization of. The irony of this will be lost on them.

Lol if you think the cops will do anything but talk down angry white people and send them home with a cheeseburger.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The big, big problem with Trump is that he's literally exactly what the Republican base wants right now and that, right there, is the problem.

He's an old white guy. He's absurdly wealthy. He's a narcissistic blowhard that just yells about how everything is the fault of those people. Who those people are varies day to day but the message is still the same. We are perfect and they are actively harming us because they're jealous of us. He's a Washington outsider. He won't back down from anything, never apologizes, and makes fun of anybody that criticizes him. He will absolutely never admit that he's wrong. The entirety of his platform is "gently caress everybody that isn't us."

The right wing hate machine has been pushing for this sort of candidate for decades and now they're reaping what they've sown.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Lol if you think the cops will do anything but talk down angry white people and send them home with a cheeseburger.

Remember that the sorts of people who would be rioting for Trump would also include a good number of open carry gun nuts. The moment a gun goes off in earshot that polite police line turns into tear gas and armored cars.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

you forget that a lot of these people already believe that the government is illegitimate, Obama is a Kenyan usurper, etc.

I have to admit I should have seen this coming. Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

With the voter fraud talk coming out here's another thread on the narcissistic personality problem as Trump faces defeat

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/760294928731762688

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The big, big problem with Trump is that he's literally exactly what the Republican base wants right now and that, right there, is the problem.

He's an old white guy. He's absurdly wealthy. He's a narcissistic blowhard that just yells about how everything is the fault of those people. Who those people are varies day to day but the message is still the same. We are perfect and they are actively harming us because they're jealous of us. He's a Washington outsider. He won't back down from anything, never apologizes, and makes fun of anybody that criticizes him. He will absolutely never admit that he's wrong. The entirety of his platform is "gently caress everybody that isn't us."

The right wing hate machine has been pushing for this sort of candidate for decades and now they're reaping what they've sown.
Bingo

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12256510/republican-party-trump-avik-roy

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pavlov posted:

Remember that the sorts of people who would be rioting for Trump would also include a good number of open carry gun nuts. The moment a gun goes off in earshot that polite police line turns into tear gas and armored cars.

I don't mean to keep this going and there's probably a better place to discuss this. But if the question is "would Trump supporters call the federal government illegitimate and turn violent against the Other?" and your response is "the police will bust the Trump Supporters up right away", then you haven't been following American politics for the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB8Oi1ARq3M

This is a long video but it's a decent video tying the Sovereign Citizen and People's Militia types back to their Reconstruction roots in light of the initial Cliven Bundy standoff. If things get violent in the areas they could get violent after a Trump loss, the police aren't going to be the ones in the crosshairs. Why do you think so many white domestic terrorists are able to negotiate with the cops and be taken in alive? It's because for these people Blue Lives Matter, and Black Lives Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hey I can dream can't I?

• Locked thread