Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cannot comprehend how you do not seem to understand the significance of the prime minister taking part in Pride Parades for the first time. Leave Saudi Arabia poo poo out of this, it's possible to look at more than one thing at once.

yeah, it's so significant that PM Selfie McGunrunner shows up to the party now that it's an easy way to score political points from the gormless fucks who vote for him.

It's not so much that people "can't look at more than one thing at once" as it is the guy an rear end in a top hat for the things he does and this informs our low opinion of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Trudeau marching is important because it shows he doesn't see LGBTQ people as inferior or Pride itself as pointless. It is inherently respectful of the people who respect and care about the event, even if you see it as an empty political gesture, like W. Bush visiting a mosque post 9/11, It also shows he doesn't care more about the political pushback he'll get from conservative constituents than he does the positive support he'll get. This is cynical, but also shows the political barometer in Canada has distinctly changed in the LGBTQ crowd's favor in a way which is unlikely to turn back.

The deal with Saudi Arabia is wrong, and it is bad. Nobody except the insane disagree with this position. It will definitely directly harm the Saudi Arabian LGBTQ community. But it is also an incredibly complicated matter, with contributing factors being the Liberal's desperate need of funding for their spending plan while dealing with the unexpectedly large deficit the Conservatives left, the importance of showing Canada as a country which honors the deals it signs, however distasteful, and even the idiotic idea of Justin Trudeau, being relatively new to politics, showing he is capable of making 'tough choices'. None of these factors excuse that going through with the deal was the wrong choice. We absolutely should have taken the financial hit, the international criticism, and whatever else came of it. But if the Saudi Arabia arms deal shows that Trudeau will not necessarily put the needs and rights of LGTBQ people first when determining policy, his marching in the Pride Parade shows that he also won't put them last. Admittedly, cold comfort for gay and lesbian Saudi Arabians.

Also, I might be forgetting, I can't find anything with Google, but wasn't there a second arms deal with a regressive country that began entirely after he took over? If so that's completely unconscionable.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CLAM DOWN posted:

You know it's possible to support one thing a politician does but not another, right? Or it is just black and white to you?

The point here you're not addressing is that by giving Trudeau credit for marching in the parade we actually make it easier for him to get away with extremely harmful actions that would have excited furious opposition if they'd been done by Harper. You might not buy into this argument but if you're going to debate then at least address what is actually being said instead of accusing everyone else of black and white thinking.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

this thread is so terrible that the saudis wanted to weaponize it, and justin refused out of human rights concerns

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:qq:

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Seconded.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's CanPol. If you want to change the conversation just start talking about Wind Mobile or how car drivers should be executed and buried in mass graves.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think its important to recognize we had a derail that wasnt PT6A related.

Lets all respect that and move on.

We've grown.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you're coming to CanPol looking to feel good about our country you may as well gently caress off right back to your favourite chair and fall asleep watching CTV right now

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

apatheticman posted:

I think its important to recognize we had a derail that wasnt PT6A related.

Lets all respect that and move on.

We've grown.

CI's heart bleeds for BC drug addicts, PT6A is uninvolved in a derail. Somewhere a very frustrated Satan is scrapping ice off his windshield.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol you are so loving butthurt that someone remembered you flew off the islamophobe handle

poor helsing so scared for his well being and the safety of canada

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Helsing posted:

It's CanPol. If you want to change the conversation just start talking about Wind Mobile or how car drivers should be executed and buried in mass graves.

I went looking for a story that I could dump in and change the subject but it's nothing but who's going to get Zika and/or mugged soon.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

AlouetteNR posted:

Trudeau marching is important because it shows he doesn't see LGBTQ people as inferior or Pride itself as pointless. It is inherently respectful of the people who respect and care about the event, even if you see it as an empty political gesture, like W. Bush visiting a mosque post 9/11, It also shows he doesn't care more about the political pushback he'll get from conservative constituents than he does the positive support he'll get. This is cynical, but also shows the political barometer in Canada has distinctly changed in the LGBTQ crowd's favor in a way which is unlikely to turn back.

The deal with Saudi Arabia is wrong, and it is bad. Nobody except the insane disagree with this position. It will definitely directly harm the Saudi Arabian LGBTQ community. But it is also an incredibly complicated matter, with contributing factors being the Liberal's desperate need of funding for their spending plan while dealing with the unexpectedly large deficit the Conservatives left, the importance of showing Canada as a country which honors the deals it signs, however distasteful, and even the idiotic idea of Justin Trudeau, being relatively new to politics, showing he is capable of making 'tough choices'. None of these factors excuse that going through with the deal was the wrong choice. We absolutely should have taken the financial hit, the international criticism, and whatever else came of it. But if the Saudi Arabia arms deal shows that Trudeau will not necessarily put the needs and rights of LGTBQ people first when determining policy, his marching in the Pride Parade shows that he also won't put them last. Admittedly, cold comfort for gay and lesbian Saudi Arabians.

Also, I might be forgetting, I can't find anything with Google, but wasn't there a second arms deal with a regressive country that began entirely after he took over? If so that's completely unconscionable.

According to CBC, the point of 2016 Pride seems to be celebrating Trudeau. Right on if that's you're thing, I'm not gonna tell people how to spend their time. I went and caught some big catfish and a friggin huge snapping turtle this weekend. Canada's a free country, do what you want with your free time. Trudeau parade, no thank you.

quote:

Justin Trudeau steals the show at the Vancouver Pride Parade

The 38th annual Vancouver Pride Parade had thousands marching in it, but the main attraction appeared to be the prime minister and his wife and children who were feted on the parade route on Sunday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/justin-trudeau-vancouver-pride-parade-1.3702613

Now, I didn't mean to hook the snapping turtle, they just eat the same thing as catfish so it was an mistake. Sometimes, to catch catfish, you just need to inconvenience a turtle now and then. I guess the same principle applies to the canadian economy except instead of annoying snappers, we're killing gays.

quote:

Ottawa rewrites mandate for screening arms exports

The wording in these annual reports, in particular on whether Canada can ship to a country with a poor human-rights record, has figured prominently in the debate over the $15-billion sale of weaponized armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia and whether the Liberal government was abiding by the rules when it greenlighted this deal in April, 2016.

Both the 2014 and 2015 versions of the Report on Exports of Military Goods were released recently by the Trudeau government. Like previous reports, they include several pages of prefatory statements that articulate the rationale and guiding principles for screening weapons sales.

Several significant changes, however, stand out. Ottawa has revised a key statement about the rationale for its arms export-control policy.

It has removed a phrase about how export controls are intended to “regulate and impose certain restrictions on exports” in response to clear policy objectives.

Instead, it substitutes more anodyne language saying the goal of Canada’s export controls on military goods is, in fact, to “balance the economic and commercial interests of Canadian business” with this country’s “national interest.”

This edit removes the only reference in the entire document to restricting and regulating the export of military goods.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-rewrites-mandate-for-screening-arms-exports/article31216740/

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tetsul posted:

I went looking for a story that I could dump in and change the subject but it's nothing but who's going to get Zika and/or mugged soon.

Well that doesnt seem fair to Brazil to only mention Zika and mugging. Theyre also the plastic surgery capital of the world so a lot of these athletes will return with new boobs, butts and faces! Maybe not in the right spots but they will be new.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

"" posted:

Canada's Arms Exports To Middle East Now 2nd-Largest After U.S., Report Says

If the federal Liberals are loathe to cancel Canada’s controversial arms deal with Saudi Arabia, it may have something do with a trend unearthed this week by Jane’s Defence Weekly.

According to the magazine, Canada has become the world’s second-largest exporter of arms to the Middle East, behind the United States.

The last time Jane’s surveyed arms exports, Canada was in sixth place on Middle East exports, but the country leapfrogged Britain, France, Germany and Russia into second place, with US$2.7 billion in sales in 2015, Jane’s reports.

That comes amid a growing frenzy of military spending by Middle Eastern countries that has made the region the top arms importer and Saudi Arabia the world’s single largest buyer of foreign weapons.

“The combined value of Saudi Arabia and the [United Arab Emirates'] defence imports is more than all of Western Europe’s defence imports combined,” Jane’s senior analyst Ben Moores said in a statement on Tuesday.

“The U.S., Canada, France and the U.K. are the main exporters of defence equipment to the Middle East and beneficiaries of this spending boom.”

“The global defence trade market has never seen an increase as large as the one we saw between 2014 and 2015.”
— Jane's senior analyst Ben Moores

Worldwide, the defense trade reached a record high of US$65 billion in 2015, Jane’s reports. Canada remained the sixth-largest arms exporter, the same rank as in 2015 and up from 10th place in 2013 and 2014.

“The global defence trade market has never seen an increase as large as the one we saw between 2014 and 2015,” Moores said.

The Jane’s report comes amid ongoing controversy about the federal Liberal government’s decision to proceed with a $15-billion defense contract with Saudi Arabia signed by the previous Conservative government in February 2014.

The $15-billion contract for a fleet of armoured vehicles is expected to create 3,000 jobs at General Dynamics Land Systems in southern Ontario. The deal will add at least $1 billion to Canada's arms exports numbers over the next decade.

Though polls show that only one-fifth of Canadians back the arms deal — and roughly half oppose it — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in April that honouring the Saudi arms deal is a matter of principle.

"The principle at play here is that Canada's word needs to mean something in the international community," Trudeau said at the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/15/canada-arms-exports-middle-east-saudi-arabia_n_10481662.html

Glad we're supporting that bastion of human rights, the Middle East.

Fluffy Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

lol you are so loving butthurt that someone remembered you flew off the islamophobe handle

poor helsing so scared for his well being and the safety of canada

It's all in good fun friend, and I'm not particularly ashamed of my islamophobia. Like every other person half a brain I commented at the time that the operation was obviously a waste of money intended to put the scare into the public, it's just that despite thinking that I am also willing to admit I have no real sympathy for the exclusive druggy wanna be bomb makers.

Though I think the real story here is that you feel insulted that somebody is implying you're capable of empathy :v: I think you should embrace this new, more sensitive side of yourself

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

quote:

The Canadian government has pulled the plug on providing Ukraine with satellite imagery to track Russian and rebel forces after the process of transferring the data became tangled up in red tape.

The Conservative government announced in February 2015 Canada would give Ukraine imagery from the high-tech Radarsat-2 satellite to boost security in its showdown with Russia and separatist forces.

But documents obtained by Postmedia show the process of providing imagery was plagued by numerous approval processes in Ottawa and restrictions on the type of information that could be provided. For such data to be of strategic value to Ukraine, it would have to be quickly transmitted to military personnel there, defence analysts have said.

But the documents obtained through the Access to Information law noted “robust licensing restrictions outlining limitations and eligible parameters for the imagery” were put in place.

There were concerns the Ukrainians would use the data to attack specific targets. The Canadian military and Privy Council Office were to get involved in deciding how to deal with that issue, says the February 2015 Department of National Defence (DND) briefing.

Canadian officials also suggested warning the Ukrainians about the limitations being put on the satellite imagery.

“We recommend that in order to manage expectations, the (government of Canada) advise the Ukrainian government of our review process and the circumstances under which imagery would not be provided,” said the briefing for senior officials.

Under the process, images were downloaded from the satellite to MDA Corp., the British Columbia firm that operates the spacecraft, before being sent to the Canadian military.

In addition, the images had to be approved by diplomats to ensure they complied with the restrictions, the document added. Next, the material was passed to the Canadian embassy in Kyiv and and only then to the Ukrainian government.

The U.S. also had the right to censor the images, but it had signaled its general approval of the deal, the briefing added.

Canada cut off the flow of Radarsat 2 data to Ukraine on May 6.

“The decision was made after carefully considering the utility of this contribution – compared to Canada’s many other forms of assistance to Ukraine,” Diana Khaddaj, spokeswoman for Global Affairs Canada, said in an email.

Ukraine says the flow of images was halted because of budgetary issues in Canada.

Global Affairs Canada would not say how much the project cost, following the example of the former Conservative government.

But the DND briefing said the contract was “capped at 8m(illion) for a 42-week period.”

The satellite is ideal for observing objects such as large vehicles or ships, the briefing added. In addition, the Radarsat-2 satellite is unique in that it can provide surveillance data day or night and through heavy clouds.

At the time, then-defence minister Jason Kenney said Kyiv could use the data to better track Russian and separatist troop movements.

Canada has been highly supportive of the Ukraine government, which has been battling Russian aligned separatist forces. Russia also seized Crimea from Ukraine two years ago.

Ottawa has pledged hundreds of millions of dollars in loans to help Ukraine’s near-bankrupt government.

It has also provided non-lethal equipment, such as night vision goggles and bullet-proof vests.

The Canadian military is helping train Ukrainian troops in combat skills, battlefield medical treatment and how to defuse and dispose of roadside bombs. Canadian military police are also working with their counterparts in the country to provide advice and training.

But in a recent interview Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the Liberal government was not going to provide lethal aid to Ukraine.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/red-tape-forces-canada-to-stop-providing-ukraines-military-with-satellite-imagery-of-russian-forces

Red tape is the most effective defense against RussianUkrainian aggression. It is good that we are standing up to those nasty Ukrainians, who continue to harass and bully innocent Russian tourists.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You guys aren't going to believe this but Ukraine has terrible institutionalized homophobia problems too.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
holy poo poo this loving thread

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You guys aren't going to believe this but Ukraine has terrible institutionalized homophobia problems too.

That means they get LAVs then, doesn't it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A better topic would be where to get the best donairs in Ottawa.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
gently caress marry kill:

Zach Paikin, JJ McCullough, or Eric Grenier?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AlouetteNR posted:

It was Thailand. Except this time around, to avoid criticism, they just didn't tell us whether they approved the export license or not. If we don't know what our government is doing, we can't criticize it!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Funkdreamer posted:

gently caress marry kill:

Zach Paikin, JJ McCullough, or Eric Grenier?

Kill self

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Look, y'all, one arms deal pays for ten years of tax cuts for high income Canadians. That's a great deal! You'd be a fool not to take it!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I had a great Pride because I was out getting laid and not thinking about Liberals and their Libbing

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Helsing posted:

Some of us find the triumphalism and immense self satisfaction grating. Not only does it diminish our domestic accomplishments, it actively makes it easier for Trudeau to avoid scrutiny for arming a kingdom with the same law code and ideological leanings as ISIS.

You might say that Trudeau is practicing eleven dimensional cheese.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
Ottawa overhauls process for selecting Supreme Court justices

quote:

The Liberal government has confirmed it will overhaul the way Canada picks a Supreme Court justice, opening up a process that has been criticized as partisan and unaccountable.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will announce Tuesday that former prime minister Kim Campbell has been selected to chair a new seven-member advisory board that will be tasked with recommending candidates to replace Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell, who is due to retire on Sept. 1.

The Globe and Mail revealed last month that the government was planning to change the selection process and would position the move as an attempt to make it less elitist. The Globe also reported that the government was expected to allow people to nominate themselves for the Supreme Court job, which Ottawa will also announce Tuesday.

Two surprising things here: Kim Campbell is apparently still alive, and the government isn't crowdsourcing ideas for the next judge (yet).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hey guys I'm nominating myself to be a supreme court justice. Everyone click on this facebook link to vote for me.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

It was Thailand. Except this time around, to avoid criticism, they just didn't tell us whether they approved the export license or not. If we don't know what our government is doing, we can't criticize it!

What's wrong with Thailand? I don't know a thing about SE Asia

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Ottawa overhauls process for selecting Supreme Court justices

Two surprising things here: Kim Campbell is apparently still alive, and the government isn't crowdsourcing ideas for the next judge (yet).

A non-partisan arms length bagman (bagwoman?). Nice!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a primate posted:

What's wrong with Thailand? I don't know a thing about SE Asia

Thailand's democratic (though corrupt as hell and riven with issues) government was overthrown in a military coup two years ago, and the military proceeded to crack down really hard on protesters who were understandably unhappy that the military got rid of democracy even though the current government was unpopular. Thailand is the place where, for example, the military banned the Hunger Games three-finger-salute because anti-military protesters were using it as a rallying symbol.

So naturally, Canada's first reaction to the installation of a military junta in a developing democracy was "awesome, a new client for arms sales!"

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Thailand's democratic (though corrupt as hell and riven with issues) government was overthrown in a military coup two years ago, and the military proceeded to crack down really hard on protesters who were understandably unhappy that the military got rid of democracy even though the current government was unpopular. Thailand is the place where, for example, the military banned the Hunger Games three-finger-salute because anti-military protesters were using it as a rallying symbol.

So naturally, Canada's first reaction to the installation of a military junta in a developing democracy was "awesome, a new client for arms sales!"

Jesus... Thanks for clarifying

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If America is the Genghis Khan of countries, Canada is the Jeffrey Dahmer.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't go that far but we are definitely the Eddie Haskell of first world nations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Canada.jpg

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
You know which group of canadians doesn't get pandered to enough? Pickup truck drivers. Luckily, that's about to change.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/jason-kenney-launches-truck-tour-to-unite-albertas-right-and-stop-another-catastrophic-ndp-win

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ikantski posted:

You know which group of canadians doesn't get pandered to enough? Pickup truck drivers. Luckily, that's about to change.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/jason-kenney-launches-truck-tour-to-unite-albertas-right-and-stop-another-catastrophic-ndp-win

Brand new Dodge Ram? All it needs is the chrome package.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

To be fair, the guy asking how big a donation you have to make to get the job has a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

quote:

Jason Kenney says he hopes to sleep in the homes of Albertans

Who do you call for a Kenney infestation?