Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I need help F1 goons, I have some extra amazon cash and need a recommendation or 2 on some good books. Biography, in depth history, even stuff on the technical side sounds good, I just need a F1 fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda's autobiographies are both good.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lol its Ferrari. The rest of the cars are probably going to have three dicknoses and a rear wing in the shape of the elephant man's head.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ferrari need to fire everyone and hire the Italian guy from Ridge Racer 4

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

you had me until "italian"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

you had me until "italian"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Wow a gopro mount is now required i guess. (I really hope the push for larger wheels falls apart, 18s look dumb on a 5 series, much less a formula car)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Whitey Ford posted:

Sky said it too because his revs increased but he didn't accelerate. I figured his clutch must have slipped as there was no tyre smoke from spinning the wheels but all the commentary teams seemed convinced.

Do they still have two stage clutches?

Pretty sure they had to go back to a 1-stage clutch last year.

Was away for the weekend. TSN decided to move F1 to a different channel, so I got 4 hours of Sports Center instead of F1. Couldn't find a torrent and had to cave in and *read* the result instead. Was it worth watching? (not gonna read 500+ posts in this trhead)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Was away for the weekend. TSN decided to move F1 to a different channel, so I got 4 hours of Sports Center instead of F1. Couldn't find a torrent and had to cave in and *read* the result instead. Was it worth watching? (not gonna read 500+ posts in this trhead)

No.

I think at one point with like 10 laps left I look at the timing scroll and almost every car was like perfectly spaced 10 seconds apart

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just watch the gp2 races instead.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-8-1-16#t=34:15

Took Bill Burr about 5 races to have Formula 1 completely figured out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a bad feeling that this season has entered the second half of 2002/second half of 2013-stage of everyone giving zero fucks because the regs are changing next year anyway.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just hope more than one team figured out how to build a car next year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

nsaP posted:

https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-8-1-16#t=34:15

Took Bill Burr about 5 races to have Formula 1 completely figured out

At what point does he start that topic?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
34:15

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Are there more bill burr f1 commentaries? I heard that one and the one when brittany hit their lewis

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think he talked about each one on the Monday episodes after the races for the last 5 races or so. Search r/formula1 for burr I think people posted them.

Edit: Yeah here https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/search?q=burr&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

How much amusement do you derive from watching Nico Rosberg and Massa repeatedly gently caress up and Nando actually getting to race like Nando for a change?

I liked the part where Rosberg ended up sandwiched between the McLarens for a bit.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I don't like them - they look stupid.

And is that a Go-Pro velcro'd to the nose?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Whitey Ford posted:

Sky said it too because his revs increased but he didn't accelerate. I figured his clutch must have slipped as there was no tyre smoke from spinning the wheels but all the commentary teams seemed convinced.

Do they still have two stage clutches?

Lewis in his post-race interview seemed to confirm two stage clutches.

Channel 4's David Coulthard (tm) claimed on the overhead replay shot of the start that Rosberg left a couple black lines during his run down to turn 1, suggesting he did in fact kick it into power oversteer, which then caused a gearbox desync (?) leading to a slow shift from 2nd to 3rd.

The gearbox sync thing is something I'm unfamiliar about, I heard either Max or Vettel complaining they were losing sync during either a practice or qualifying session this or last race. Anyone any detail on how the current-gen gearboxes work? Are they dual clutch systems or single clutch systems which ram gears into place violently (e.g. ish~ lambo aventador ISR boxes) ? The latter sounds like it might need some fancy monitoring to make sure it doesn't ram the next gear in at the wrong time, but I'm not sure why a dual clutch system would have a sync issue, unless it's a super-refined predictive system based on when it thinks you're gonna shift and gets it set up perfectly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eurgh, just saw the Rosberg/Verstappen replay and that was a stupid penalty call. It really needs to get more consistent.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Eurgh, just saw the Rosberg/Verstappen replay and that was a stupid penalty call. It really needs to get more consistent.

Nope, it was the right call. Rosberg was crying that he was at full steering lock when he was braking, but the replays definitely show that the wheels were still pointing straight ahead as he screamed past the apex of the corner, then at the last moment turned the wheels

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I thought that lined up good with what he did to HAM (same thing). The HAM incident resulted in a disaster for Pissberg so no further action required. VERCRAP incident didn't so they imposed a penalty. Fraud exposed twice by different means.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I thought that lined up good with what he did to HAM (same thing). The HAM incident resulted in a disaster for Pissberg so no further action required. VERCRAP incident didn't so they imposed a penalty. Fraud exposed twice by different means.

He got a penalty in Austria too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rosberg needs to get better at cheating.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Verstappen should have been a team player, let Rosberg hit him to force f1 to take some points off him.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Norns posted:

Rosberg needs to get better at cheating.

:agreed:

also Ferrari and Williams

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Saw that Rush movie again last night, pretty solid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I don't like them - they look stupid.

And is that a Go-Pro velcro'd to the nose?

The car looks retarded being in semi 2017 spec but the massive wheels :heysexy:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Halo14 posted:

Saw that Rush movie again last night, pretty solid.

I have it on bluray

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They should do a follow up, Niki vs Prost.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually upset that Ferrari is treading water and Williams is slipping backwards into midfield hell.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm actually upset that Ferrari is treading water and Williams is slipping backwards into midfield hell.

Did you expect anything diffrent? Honestly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So those giant wheels are probably going to make them look like Indy cars in terms of width.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

They should do a follow up, Niki vs Prost.

This was always the better and more interesting story compared to "Man wins world championship because other guy burnt half his face off and wasn't right in the head afterwards."

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

This was always the better and more interesting story compared to "Man wins world championship because other guy burnt half his face off and wasn't right in the head afterwards."

The lesson of rush: "Hard work? Thats for bitches" *SNOOOOOOOOOOOOORT*

Also until i saw that movie i was convinced Hunt had driven for JohnPlayer-Era Lotus, not sure why.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

It's was Bernie's goddamn pilot who masterminded the kidnapping

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-s-pilot-arrested-over-mother-in-law-kidnapping-804781/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

"da Silva" One of the Sennas?

• Locked thread