Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
my favorite is karandras getting punked by some no-name dreadnought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What the hell is up with Space Wolves, though? Why do they just repeat the wolf motif over and over and over again?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Furry fan chapter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

What the hell is up with Space Wolves, though? Why do they just repeat the wolf motif over and over and over again?
They basically started off as viking space marines with a werewolf thing going on. That gotten taken to its logical extreme over the years and now they're wolfwolfwolfwolfwolf.

Someone post that old picture of a space wolf in a diaper.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

They're also one of the most marry sue of all the space marine chapters- and have been for a long while

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait to burn myself alive out in front of GW HQ like a human Basilisk with Forge World Armored Crew Compartment

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Literally The Worst posted:

those books not being written chronologically means they never have to, friend

Ugh gently caress this company.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

BULBASAUR posted:

I can't wait for the cool new trademarked names

They're also releasing a new paint line later this year. Besides more money for less paint I am most excited for the inevitable wacky renaming of everything

Later this year? Try later this month.

Time for me to go balls deep in Antares.

Anyone want to buy some Orks and Tyranids?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does this mean we will get Space Bretonnians?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The issue is that the extreme vast nature of the setting basically reduces all conflicts over individual parts of space that aren't the Eye of Terror or Terra to be moot and useless. If you wanted to advance the plotline I think the best move would be to have someone blow up the Imperial palace using a hidden bomb or whatever, destroying the golden throne (maybe) and the Imperial government. This means you have a concrete goal for all the forces involved (seize/control Terra and the solar system), a wide range of moral and ethical divisions for all the armies. You could have SM chapters who think the Emperor is dead and want to carry on his legacy, while others denounce them as traitors because the Emperor is totally still alive. You could have the Tau use this as a chance to invade human space and try to grab Terra in order to pacify the Imperium and liberate them from their dictatorship, The Orks just want to loot Terra and Mars, the Necrons could be trying to liberate or kill the Void Dragon, The Dark Angels could be trying to put Lionel into the throne to take the Emperors place, etc etc. For a story to matter you need motivations, ranges of opinion and most importantly stakes that matter. Nothing in 40K has these any more, the Imperium rules billions of people, if every single figure ever made of an IG trooper was gathered together on one massive football field sized game table it would still be a miniscule fragment of the in-canon amount of IG troops that exist. With those kinds of scales you can't ever have single battles matter or even single people or heroes matter. But with a theoretical setting like the one I described, with goals, motivations and lots of things to fight, a single IG company could in theory take and hold the golden throne in the middle of a multi-side multi-force fracas and decide the fate of the entire galaxy.

It's why the setting for Rogue Trader works so well. The idea of established characters and ideas interacting with this orphaned chunk of space far from the actual meta plot of the setting has created more interesting story ideas and concepts than GW ever came up with for 40k as their property. The idea of an old Space Marine, left to languish on a forgotten word deep in unknown space who spends his time worshiping at a shrine to the Emperor and helping out the local farmers with their crops, only to have vicious interstellar bandits land on the planet to pillage and murder, forcing him to don his ancient heresy era armor once again and go into battle to stop them? That's a throwaway idea mentioned offhandedly in a single page of one of the FFG books and it's a better loving idea for a story than we've gotten in 25 years of 40k.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

On one hand you want the setting to be rattled by actions that have enormeous consequences for the entire galaxy, while at the same time you want stories of how a single space marine defends some dirt-farmers from space pirates.

Sure, in the bigger scheme of things, a planet lost to the tyranids don't matter much, but to the people of that planet it means literally the world. I guess maybe that's what you meant, that you want the fluff to reflect this instead of "and now, this war took place that killed billions BILLIONS of people instead of just billions!".

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

GAW now trading at 515. Did I miss a Leperflesh mega post on the latest financials? I saw the chat about Uk/US NEDs.

..and down to 508 in there time it took to make that post, that's some serious volatility.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What does this mean for Ciaphas Cain?

That's what I want to know.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pureauthor posted:

What does this mean for Ciaphas Cain?

That's what I want to know.

lol if you think any non Space Marines are getting out of this alive

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Eldar are all going to sacrifice themselves to save the Imperium

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
welp, at least this means I'll be winning my bet with another player about whether GW would be dumb enough to Sigmarify 40k or not starting this summer. :v:

BULBASAUR posted:

They're saying it's not going to be as crazy as fantasy end times. Yet, the disastrous clusterfuck that was sigmar basically gurantees Age of Emperor will dive this poo poo train straight into the diarrhea lake

Exactly. It's going to be hot garbage and I'm right in it oh god

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Controversial but correct opinion: whatever horseshit they do to 40k will invariably be a better game than 40k as it is right now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Even the Deldar, who will see that it is their rightful place to die in order to save those brave and noble space marinesAdeptus Astartes Novum Summus.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, one of the things I miss about 40K (and WHFB to a lesser extent) was the your dudes element. Warmachine, Malifaux, and Guild Ball are outstanding games, but they're not MY dudes. I'd really like a good game where I can make my own dudes and story.

Infinity?

Not a viking posted:

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

On one hand you want the setting to be rattled by actions that have enormeous consequences for the entire galaxy, while at the same time you want stories of how a single space marine defends some dirt-farmers from space pirates.

Sure, in the bigger scheme of things, a planet lost to the tyranids don't matter much, but to the people of that planet it means literally the world. I guess maybe that's what you meant, that you want the fluff to reflect this instead of "and now, this war took place that killed billions BILLIONS of people instead of just billions!".

Yeah, GW needs places where stakes could actually matter, but instead the plot is too focused on TOTALLY AWESOME THINGS like how BILLIONS of people died and A HUNDRED PLANETS BLEW UP and THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO BE DESTROYED and it makes it impossible to actually care about anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They made a massive setting with a million worlds and a galaxy to fight, then set up a strict list of rules of what was allowed. It could have been an endless stream of counts-as, custom models to represent what your world of humans/aliens designed to fight their wars, but ensuring wysiwyg to enforce purchase of only the "correct" models was deemed more important.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

All aboard the Rhana Dandruff end times flaming radioactive trainwreck :bandwagon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BULBASAUR posted:

All the factions do cool things.

*except Tyranids

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I, for one, look forward to Rosanna Rosannadanna with great interest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

spectralent posted:

Yeah, GW needs places where stakes could actually matter, but instead the plot is too focused on TOTALLY AWESOME THINGS like how BILLIONS of people died and A HUNDRED PLANETS BLEW UP and THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO BE DESTROYED and it makes it impossible to actually care about anything.

goatface posted:

They made a massive setting with a million worlds and a galaxy to fight, then set up a strict list of rules of what was allowed. It could have been an endless stream of counts-as, custom models to represent what your world of humans/aliens designed to fight their wars, but ensuring wysiwyg to enforce purchase of only the "correct" models was deemed more important.

This is one of the good things about the Gaunts Ghosts books, Abnett was free to a) define a corner of the setting with epic but understandable stakes (a crusade to reclaim a Chaos-held sector), and b) make up all sorts of crazy poo poo (Stalk Tanks! Wirewolves! Weird alien mercenaries that smell like mint and sour milk!)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Charles Get-Out posted:

Ugh gently caress this company.

This is the dumbest thing to go ugh about

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is one of the good things about the Gaunts Ghosts books, Abnett was free to a) define a corner of the setting with epic but understandable stakes (a crusade to reclaim a Chaos-held sector), and b) make up all sorts of crazy poo poo (Stalk Tanks! Wirewolves! Weird alien mercenaries that smell like mint and sour milk!)

Yeah, exactly. A lot of the times the really minor poo poo is the best parts

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

I can't wait for the cool new trademarked names

They're also releasing a new paint line later this year. Besides more money for less paint I am most excited for the inevitable wacky renaming of everything

Hmmm, Tau is the biggest offender here so I look forward to it as well. :getin:

Hustlin Floh posted:

I can't wait to burn myself alive out in front of GW HQ like a human Basilisk with Forge World Armored Crew Compartment
:lol:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BULBASAUR posted:

Besides more money for less paint I am most excited for the inevitable wacky renaming of everything
Indeed. I mean, they basically have to rename stuff like "Reikland Flesh Shade" and "Nuln Oil" because Reikland and Nuln are no longer actual places with any associative meaning. And they squatted the entire faction to which the Ushabti belong, so I guess they've gotta rename their bone color too.

Morons.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
As long as I can still get Lahmian Medium I'm fine. Speaking of, anyone know of someone who makes an equivalent? The Vallejo Matt coat does nothing when applied on top of the gloss, but Lahmian Medium actually dulls it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/502370/
Is this game going to be like the tabletop game? orks vs space wolves, where are tau and nids? :(

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Atlas Hugged posted:

Controversial but correct opinion: whatever horseshit they do to 40k will invariably be a better game than 40k as it is right now.

AoS > 40k

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

As long as I can still get Lahmian Medium I'm fine. Speaking of, anyone know of someone who makes an equivalent? The Vallejo Matt coat does nothing when applied on top of the gloss, but Lahmian Medium actually dulls it.

Pretty much any art supply store will sell you a big bottle of matte medium. If you are buying Lahmian Medium, you are a chump. It's like buying GW greenstuff instead of going down to Home Depot to buy a big roll of it for the same price that GW charges for a few inches.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Helen Highwater posted:

Pretty much any art supply store will sell you a big bottle of matte medium. If you are buying Lahmian Medium, you are a chump. It's like buying GW greenstuff instead of going down to Home Depot to buy a big roll of it for the same price that GW charges for a few inches.

*The art supplies in the country I live in are total trash.

If it's not by Vallejo, GW, or Army Painter, then I can't get it. As I said, I've tried the Vallejo and it does nothing to the gloss finish and I loathe putting the matte on first because it just feels so drat course I'm afraid I'm going to rub off the paint.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

*The art supplies in the country I live in are total trash.

If it's not by Vallejo, GW, or Army Painter, then I can't get it. As I said, I've tried the Vallejo and it does nothing to the gloss finish and I loathe putting the matte on first because it just feels so drat course I'm afraid I'm going to rub off the paint.

Where do you live? I'm not talking about hobby stores, I'm talking about actual art shops, the sort that sell oil paints and canvas frames. Also, what are you using matte medium for? It's for changing the consistency of acrylic paints in the jar, it's not supposed to be a coat in and of itself. If you want to knock the shine off gloss varnish then get some satin or matte varnish and apply that over the top.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Are you using Vallejo matte medium or matte varnish? Personally I use Krylon flat clear over Pledge Future, although it adds the little bit of hassle of setting up ventilation for using a spray can.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lmao if you don't spray poo poo on your back porch in your underwear st 3 AM because you're manic as gently caress and can't sleep

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Helen Highwater posted:

Where do you live? I'm not talking about hobby stores, I'm talking about actual art shops, the sort that sell oil paints and canvas frames. Also, what are you using matte medium for? It's for changing the consistency of acrylic paints in the jar, it's not supposed to be a coat in and of itself. If you want to knock the shine off gloss varnish then get some satin or matte varnish and apply that over the top.

I'm in South East Asia. Trust me, there are art stores, but the quality of the materials is terrible. I know what Lahmian Medium is supposed to be used for, but nothing brings down gloss as well as it does. The tip was passed to me by another guy and I've seen it mentioned online before so I'm not the only person doing it, but maybe we're all destroying our models.

darnon posted:

Are you using Vallejo matte medium or matte varnish? Personally I use Krylon flat clear over Pledge Future, although it adds the little bit of hassle of setting up ventilation for using a spray can.

"Matt varnish" according to the dropper. It's never done poo poo over the gloss and I'm talking multiple coats with several hours drying time. Lahmian Medium instantly brought off the shine.

Lmao if you don't spray poo poo on your back porch in your underwear st 3 AM because you're manic as gently caress and can't sleep

When I did live in a country where I had a balcony I tried the GW spray coat and it ruined all my Battletech minis.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 2, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lmao if you use GW products

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lmao if you use GW products

I got some Epic IG tanks as compensation. Those have come in handy as generic Battletech vehicles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
GW is bringing back Bloodbowl, so I've decided that I forgive them.

• Locked thread