Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

I guess I'm a 2500k "diehard" then because I'm still running one.

Those (not insignificant) gains come at the cost of a new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU but the gap can be mostly closed by overclocking a graphics card or spending more on a faster card. Not to mention the effort of gutting a case, buying and re-installing OS (because your key isn't good anymore after you change out those components!) means its far less likely to happen when people want to :pcgaming: rather than just swap something out of a PCI-E slot.

My upgrading is an inevitablity - all the literature and bechmarks out there like you just posted confirming that game engines are indeed benefiting from increased system memory bandwidth is encouraging. In particular, I'm waiting for higher DDR4 speeds to be natively supported and the price/capacity of PCI-E storage to go down.

E: Hmm now that I've thought about it, every time I've done a full system upgrade, it was going to a new type of RAM (PC-133 -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3) and only after the prices for them had gotten uncrazy.

Now is probably that time again, then.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10512/price-check-q3-2016-dram-prices-down-over-20-since-early-2015

Crossover point where DDR4 becomes cheaper than DDR3 for good should come before the end of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
z170 chipset only supports up to 2133 natively. I am waiting for 3200.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Now is probably that time again, then.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10512/price-check-q3-2016-dram-prices-down-over-20-since-early-2015

Crossover point where DDR4 becomes cheaper than DDR3 for good should come before the end of this year.

A comment to that article links several kits where the prices have actually gone up significantly since March/April...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

teagone posted:

At the $280 price point, why not just get a 1060? Unless you have a freesync monitor. I'd probably consider the 4GB Sapphire Nitro since it's only a smidge above the MSRP.

Freesync monitor, yep.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

A comment to that article links several kits where the prices have actually gone up significantly since March/April...

As usual, there is always some dipshit in the comments who confuses the immediate, short-term movement with the overall, long-term. :doh: But never mind all the graphs on the first page, right? That poo poo's not important, right? Nor is the fact that of course commodity DRAM stocks are drying up ahead of the back-to-school season, which naturally drives DRAM pricing up in the short term. No, when we're talking about batches of DRAM that are being sold in petabyte amounts of raw chips, it's not the bulk pricing that matters, why the gently caress would that matter? No, it's clearly got to be the pricing of the cherry-picked 32GB retail SKUs! THAT'S the real indicator of DRAM pricing! What the gently caress does volume even MEAN?

Because gently caress reading graphs, that poo poo's for nerds, right? :argh:

</s></s></s></s></s></s></s>

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 2, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seamonster posted:

But Isn't Z170 the only Skylake chipset that allows overclocking of DDR4 anyway?

Smart of Intel to do that since the 4.2GHz+ stock 4790K almost made the Haswell Z-boards irrelevant.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

ijyt posted:

Actually a few different cards got tacked on due to the similarity in the cases.

http://blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/

ijyt posted:

poo poo. Page basically had this and the cards included:

So wait, I can badger newegg for a 30$ refund on my 290X? WTF?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Seamonster posted:

Those (not insignificant) gains come at the cost of a new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU but the gap can be mostly closed by overclocking a graphics card or spending more on a faster card. Not to mention the effort of gutting a case, buying and re-installing OS (because your key isn't good anymore after you change out those components!) means its far less likely to happen when people want to :pcgaming: rather than just swap something out of a PCI-E slot.

My upgrading is an inevitablity - all the literature and bechmarks out there like you just posted confirming that game engines are indeed benefiting from increased system memory bandwidth is encouraging. In particular, I'm waiting for higher DDR4 speeds to be natively supported and the price/capacity of PCI-E storage to go down.

E: Hmm now that I've thought about it, every time I've done a full system upgrade, it was going to a new type of RAM (PC-133 -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3) and only after the prices for them had gotten uncrazy.

I just went from a 2500k to a 6600k last month and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I feel that it's a great upgrade.

May I ask why you want "higher DDR4 speeds to be natively supported"? You just set it and it works. The 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 I got was $63.99.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Seamonster posted:

I thought the Z170 chipset supports XMP profiles, therefore 3200?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As usual, there is always some dipshit in the comments who confuses the immediate, short-term movement with the overall, long-term. :doh: But never mind all the graphs on the first page, right? That poo poo's not important, right? Nor is the fact that of course commodity DRAM stocks are drying up ahead of the back-to-school season, which naturally drives DRAM pricing up in the short term. No, when we're talking about batches of DRAM that are being sold in petabyte amounts of raw chips, it's not the bulk pricing that matters, why the gently caress would that matter? No, it's clearly got to be the pricing of the cherry-picked 32GB retail SKUs! THAT'S the real indicator of DRAM pricing! What the gently caress does volume even MEAN?

Sorry, I was just wondering why he was wrong :eng99:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Seamonster posted:

E: Hmm now that I've thought about it, every time I've done a full system upgrade, it was going to a new type of RAM (PC-133 -&gt; DDR -&gt; DDR2 -&gt; DDR3) and only after the prices for them had gotten uncrazy.

According to this article, you won't have to buy another copy of Windows 10 even if you did the free upgrade: http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

You just skip all the product key screens and contact customer support after it installs letting them know you've changed your hardware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

But Isn't Z170 the only Skylake chipset that allows overclocking of DDR4 anyway?

Smart of Intel to do that since the 4.2GHz+ stock 4790K almost made the Haswell Z-boards irrelevant.

No.

Pick any random X99 board and look at the memory.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 2, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't really think DDR4 happy days are going to last. The RAM manufacturers had oversupplied the market during times leading up to Win8, Win10/Skylake on false hopes they will revitalize sluggish PC sales but that never materialized. When they finally cut supply for DDR3 in 2014 prices really spiked up when I paid $150 for 16GB compared to almost half during 2011.

It's mighty tempting to grab 16GB DDR4 3200+ while they are still cheap, even without a DDR4 system at hand.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

New Steam Hardware Survey results:

I remember the 200-series AMD cards were rated higher last time. Also, the 10x0s aren't on the list at all yet.

Despite their popularity I'm sure it's still a low percentage of users that has a Pascal card. They're not exactly cheap, either. One thing that surprises me is the continuing growth of the 970's proportion.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Phlegmish posted:

Despite their popularity I'm sure it's still a low percentage of users that has a Pascal card. They're not exactly cheap, either. One thing that surprises me is the continuing growth of the 970's proportion.

It sucks to see that mass amounts of people are still spending $350 / $550 on brand new GTX 970s and GTX 980tis (going off of most recent reviews on Amazon/some of the most popular 970s/980tis being sold).

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's been hailed as the 1080p card and perception is still reality I guess. The sales for it have been really good both new and used. A card selling for $300 used last summer is now selling for like $150 used is huge. There was (is?) seriously a shitload of ads for it one point in the Seattle area.
At a great price it's still probably the best price/performance card. If I was building a pc for someone who typically likes to DOTA/CS/Overwatch etc a super cheap 970 would be more than perfect.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 2, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

comper posted:

It sucks to see that mass amounts of people are still spending $350 / $550 on brand new GTX 970s and GTX 980tis (going off of most recent reviews on Amazon/some of the most popular 970s/980tis being sold).

Wasn't there a massive sale on 970s on Newegg a few weeks ago? I think the used market is strong too.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Green Gloves posted:

Wasn't there a massive sale on 970s on Newegg a few weeks ago? I think the used market is strong too.

Yeah those points are both true. The post before mine just made me look up how much they're going for nowadays brand new and was surprised to see that people are still buying them at near 1070 prices... ouch.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Phlegmish posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/?sort=chg

Either the 1080 (+0.17%) or the 1070 (+0.22%) is already outselling the 970 (+0.13%) for the DX12-only population last month.

It's also proof why AMD strategy of "abandon high end first for a slightly faster 970 for $240" doesn't work, a ton of the target audience who wanted that level of performance would already got a 970 for the past 2 years, anyone who want faster GPUs will get a 1080/1070/GP102 where AMD has zero competition which allows Nvidia to print free money at impunity while the 1060 is also placing great pressure at the $250 mark shortly after the RX480 launch.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Seamonster posted:

It also supports XMP, which means you can use any arbitrary speed up to and beyond 4000MHz with one button setup and complete stability (assuming you match your RAM to your motherboard's memory support). The SPD speed is completely irrelevant. By your logic DDR3 only ever went up to 1600MHz.

Intel only increased the native speed to 2400MHz in their latest Broadwell-E chipset so you're going to be waiting a long time to forever.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Palladium posted:

Either the 1080 (+0.17%) or the 1070 (+0.22%) is already outselling the 970 (+0.13%) for the DX12-only population last month.

It's also proof why AMD strategy of "abandon high end first for a slightly faster 970 for $240" doesn't work, a ton of the target audience who wanted that level of performance would already got a 970 for the past 2 years, anyone who want faster GPUs will get a 1080/1070/GP102 where AMD has zero competition which allows Nvidia to print free money at impunity while the 1060 is also placing great pressure at the $250 mark shortly after the RX480 launch.

I walk into a Frys and see a healthy stock of 480s and r9 300s and barely any nvidia 970s or 980s left. I was telling this guy looking at 970s that the 480 is new, performs better and has more ram. His response: hur dur I like Intel graphics cards. My last effort was telling him just to buy on Craigslist cuz theres tons of used 970s but nope. Nvidia brand is like Apple now. The force is strong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonkish posted:

Freesync monitor, yep.

Then by all means rock on my dude.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Green Gloves posted:

I walk into a Frys and see a healthy stock of 480s and r9 300s and barely any nvidia 970s or 980s left. I was telling this guy looking at 970s that the 480 is new, performs better and has more ram. His response: hur dur I like Intel graphics cards. My last effort was telling him just to buy on Craigslist cuz theres tons of used 970s but nope. Nvidia brand is like Apple now. The force is strong.

Lol a ridiculously unfair comparison

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sorry, I was just wondering why he was wrong :eng99:

On the one hand, my annoyance was directed entirely at the idiot in the comments.

On the other hand, there is no shame in seeking knowledge.

On the gripping hand, you ain't got no leg to stand on either, because the article literally addresses this fact with the very first kit on the second page, one that has seen a price spike in the past month. Did you go straight to the comments, or something?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 2, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Palladium posted:

It's pretty mindblowing how a 3.3GHz Skylake with DDR4-2666 is able to beat a 4.6GHz 2500K DDR3-1600 by 20% in Witcher 3. That's like a 67% IPC advantage for Skylake at ~1/3 the CPU power consumption for somewhere like ~300% perf/Watt, but no, there's hasn't been any real progress in CPUs for 5 years according to 2500K diehards because laptops and servers don't exist.

A) You picked the ddr3-1600 result as opposed to the 2133, which is pretty much level with the 6500. One could pick the Far Cry 4 results in defence. Also, nobody is running a locked Skylake with faster RAM than ddr4-2133, but that's an aside.
B) Nobody said there was no progress, but that a good overclock keeps you more or less competitive with newer chips, which is still correct.
C) 6500 boosts to 3.6, base clock 3.2

Overall I think it makes Sandy Bridge look pretty good. Can you get better? Of course, nobody said otherwise. Is it still better than any AMD cpu? Yep. Was it a fantastic buy in 2011? Better than we ever knew.

When people defend older CPUs, it's usually because budgets aren't unlimited, and someone is trying to decide whether to upgrade their 2011 era CPU or GPU. The answer is always the GPU (for gaming), and that's probably why you see SB's performance mentioned so often.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

A) You picked the ddr3-1600 result as opposed to the 2133, which is pretty much level with the 6500. One could pick the Far Cry 4 results in defence. Also, nobody is running a locked Skylake with faster RAM than ddr4-2133, but that's an aside.
B) Nobody said there was no progress, but that a good overclock keeps you more or less competitive with newer chips, which is still correct.
C) 6500 boosts to 3.6, base clock 3.2

Overall I think it makes Sandy Bridge look pretty good. Can you get better? Of course, nobody said otherwise. Is it still better than any AMD cpu? Yep. Was it a fantastic buy in 2011? Better than we ever knew.

When people defend older CPUs, it's usually because budgets aren't unlimited, and someone is trying to decide whether to upgrade their 2011 era CPU or GPU. The answer is always the GPU (for gaming), and that's probably why you see SB's performance mentioned so often.

6500 is only 3.3GHz on 4 cores, unless there is some game that doesn't use 4 threads or Intel somehow got their own Turbo Boost page wrong.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005647.html

Green Gloves posted:

Doesn't help that AMD loves scoring PR own goals by dumping the much stronger ATI branding, milking the GCN 1.0 cards to death and sucking hard at tuning reference Hawaii and RX480.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
Has this been discussed at all in the thread?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10536/nvidia-maxwell-tile-rasterization-analysis
http://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

I'd love to see an expert talk about the actual efficiency improvements this resulted in. As in, someone who knows what the christ they're talking about when it comes to actual GPU architecture and not just someone who can choose a GPU based on price/performance. Even the video isn't very specific when it comes to numbers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Palladium posted:

6500 is only 3.3GHz on 4 cores, unless there is some game that doesn't use 4 threads or Intel somehow got their own Turbo Boost page wrong.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005647.html

That's fair. May be a handful of games that still don't use all the cores properly, though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I was giving a quick example. However, now I'm wondering if I would be better off getting the 1070 and using the money elsewhere. Part of me says I would be better off investing a little more, but my equation completely ignores the value per dollar factor, and my understanding is that you pay a huge premium for the 1080, and don't get the best value per dollar ratio.

That $12.50 could be used for other things, for example. Basically I have no idea if I should get the 1070 or the 1080, and I keep fluctuating between the two.

Also, what is the deal with coil whine on the 1070 and 1080? From reading reviews, it looks like it's basically luck of the draw due to poor quality control?

Rather than trying to min max your money on this stuff I just pick whatever fits my usage needs the best. Right now I game at 1440p and prefer high details so I went with a 1070, that gives me 60+ FPS in most games except Crysis 3 and more often than not its ~100 FPS in many titles. I don't bother trying to future proof, anything that brings a 1070 to its knees is probably going to do the same to a 1080. At most I might stave off an upgrade for a year by going with a 1080 but since I don't have a crystal ball /shrug.

There was a cheap Zotac 1080 that was tempting but it only has a 2 year warranty and its cooler is pretty large so I wasn't even sure it would fit my case.

Anyways tl;dr - buy what you need.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Palladium posted:

Yeah not exactly surprising, however I very much doubt it was their original plan though. I'm sure they wanted a full lineup out of polaris. The whole concept they have pushed about "focusing" on """"the gamers"""" by, what, ignoring every price point above $200 (??) is pretty absurd. Obviously they had to make the best of a bad situation but its dumb.

The one thing they could have profited from was availability but that didn't really seem to pan out either. I'm still unconvinced the 4gb cards were nothing more than a lie too. The 1060 move was frankly pretty brutal as well.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 2, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah not exactly surprising, however I very much doubt it was their original plan though. I'm sure they wanted a full lineup out of polaris. The whole concept they have pushed about "focusing" on """"the gamers"""" by, what, ignoring every price point above $200 (??) is pretty absurd. Obviously they had to make the best of a bad situation but its dumb.

The one thing they could have profited from was availability but that didn't really seem to pan out either. I'm still unconvinced the 4gb cards were nothing more than a lie too. The 1060 move was frankly pretty brutal as well.

Honestly, I think if they were more aggressive about keeping miners from getting the cards you'd see more adoption and the prices wouldn't be nuts. When things sell out 5 minutes after they're listed in stock there's obviously demand, but when you pull back the cover it turns out miners ordered almost all the stock.

When the hell will *-coin mining finally die out? This poo poo is stupid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

axeil posted:

Honestly, I think if they were more aggressive about keeping miners from getting the cards you'd see more adoption and the prices wouldn't be nuts. When things sell out 5 minutes after they're listed in stock there's obviously demand, but when you pull back the cover it turns out miners ordered almost all the stock.

When the hell will *-coin mining finally die out? This poo poo is stupid.

Why would they care that much where the demand was coming from? A sale is a sale.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Green Gloves posted:

His response was to say that he likes Intel graphics cards? :???:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

His response was to say that he likes Intel graphics cards? :???:

translation: I don't care about your bitcoin mining card so leave me alone you GPU poor

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

This isn't bad for AMD right now, because they don't really give a poo poo what your reason for giving them money is, and they'll support the GPUs for games either way since that's their actual business.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Palladium posted:

It's not a strategy, it's simply the best they could do. AMD has pretty much accomplished nothing other than coasting on GCN for the past four years, and there's no reason to believe they're going to catch up going forward.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lockback posted:

Why would they care that much where the demand was coming from? A sale is a sale.

Market presence, if everyone actually looking for a video card for gaming gets used to Nvidia being the only choice then you have locked yourself out of that market, you need people to think of your products when they are looking for a product of that type, it's like 90% of the reason advertising exists. Selling cards to actual gamers helps get word of mouth out about your products, if a prospective buyer asks their gamer friends about what card to get and everyone says "Nvidia GTX [whatever]" because none of them have ever owned an AMD card because AMD cards were never a choice in the first place then good luck selling cards in that market.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah if they are being bought up by miners again its not great in the long run (or even the medium run). The 290 thing created a shitload of nvidia fanboys, despite AMD selling every possible card they could ever make

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The Titan X is up for sale on the Nvidia website if anyone is crazy enough to buy one for $1200, here's the first game benchmarks I have seen. Looks like it definitely does the job of single card 4k, it gets similar framerates at 4k as my 1070 does at 1440.

http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/grafikkarten/nvidia-titan-x/news-artikel/nvidia_titan_x,1010,3276621.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Man, what the hell. Is the 2500k/2600k so old now? I'm running with a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, and 16GB of (slow) RAM, I'm not getting results like that from my 1070.

Yeah, my 2600k is nice and still "serviceable" for today, but it does feel like it's now the bottleneck on a much faster video card. But it's lasted me like... five years? Time to drop the scratch on a MB/proc/RAM this fall, I guess...