Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The Yoga is best of breed for that kind of thing

Not sure why you need a haswell i5 for couch computing, if you have a desktop the Asus Flip chromebook is $250 with a 1366*768 IPS touchscreen, and has the ability to RDP in to your more powerful desktop

Yoga is a good choice though.

I got a steal at BestBuy when I got the previous Dell. Originally wanted a lower end Toshiba and the one they brought from the back had a huge gouge in the box. The lid of the laptop was slightly dented so they offered something in the similar price range. Lo and behold the Dell i5 w/ 1080p touchscreen for $300 less than normal price. Anyway, this is mostly for MY GIRLFRIEND who surfs on the couch a lot and like the touchscreen.

The i5 isn't a must it's just what the old one had. I'll keep an eye out for deals on the Yogas. Thanks for the input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hadlock posted:

Lay people find touch interfaces more intuitive than mouse style controls in many situations

But touch sucks in Windows.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is touch a must? The only time I would want it is on a Chromebook in order to use the Android apps.

Dunno about this person's case but If you draw/paint digitally you need to have a surface that's capable of recognizing a stylus. So that's one reason at least.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Dunno about this person's case but If you draw/paint digitally you need to have a surface that's capable of recognizing a stylus. So that's one reason at least.

That doesn't work unless your laptop can flip and turn the keyboard out of the way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

sports posted:

That doesn't work unless your laptop can flip and turn the keyboard out of the way.

True but they did mention 2 in 1s which can do that.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So HP has new ENVY x360 laptops with the 7th gen AMD Bristol Ridge APUs (A12-9700P / FX-9800P). But, they crippled them with single channel RAM. :gonk: Set sail for fail and a backlash of people wondering why the latest APU's aren't as good as AMD touted.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That kind of retardery has been going on for a long time. Even dGPUs are memory starved most of the time.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That's pretty impressive given that Anandtech had a detailed review of the Carrizo platform a while back and from what I recall their single greatest criticism was that many OEMs are using the same crippled single channel designs for full Carrizo that they designed for the SC only -L version.

Seems like the manufacturers aren't reading their products' reviews, which is disappointing but not that surprising.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think they're pretty sure that they know they're releasing mediocre hardware. If you buy anything for less than $650-700, you've purchased a laptop that was designed to hit a specific price point. Typically $299, $399, or $499.

80% of the walk-in posts here are "hey I'm buying a laptop for my _____ and they only have $____ to spend, they typically only need it for doing X, and Y and Z, what's the least worst in my price range?"

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
This is fair but it seems like it's probably not that rewarding in terms of reducing the cost of goods for how much damage it does to performance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is my dream: a medium or small convertible laptop with a dedicated graphics card (for WoW), bluetooth and MAYBE the ability to use mobile data.

Does such a thing exist.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

My mom's boyfriend is looking to buy a new Laptop in the 600€(700$) range, the main use is office/internet/video. The thing is, he wants as large a screen as possible. I'm thinking about a L460/E460, just wanted to know if anyone knows of a larger screen solution that stays in the same price range without sacrificing too much power. He's on an almost 10yo VAIO currently, so it really doesn't need to be a powerhouse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Where do Europeans buy laptops? See if you can find the same laptops recommended here.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/what-laptop-should-i-buy-the-best-laptops-for-every-need/

"Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6 Full HD, Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10, E5-575G-53VG"

That one is $550 USD.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I'm assuming that every inch above that comes with a significant price increase? Is it even realistic to look for something larger?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Interestingly the 16"+ market appears to have become exclusively clunky gaming laptops for some reason. There certainly used to be more choices for large laptops, but for one reason or another it appears to have dried up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Here is my dream: a medium or small convertible laptop with a dedicated graphics card (for WoW), bluetooth and MAYBE the ability to use mobile data.

Does such a thing exist.
Do you really still need a dedicated card for WoW? Even stuff like Left4Dead runs ok on my ancient Sandy-bridge igpu. If you really need it, there's always the Surface Book.

Mu Zeta posted:

Where do Europeans buy laptops? See if you can find the same laptops recommended here.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/what-laptop-should-i-buy-the-best-laptops-for-every-need/

"Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6 Full HD, Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10, E5-575G-53VG"

That one is $550 USD.
In America, and then smuggle them back through the green corridor.

Schurik posted:

I'm assuming that every inch above that comes with a significant price increase? Is it even realistic to look for something larger?
Sure, there are a ton of 17" laptops in that price range. Depends on your location a bit but check out HP ProBook 470 G2, ASUS X75, or Lenovo B71. They probably won't be as solid as the usually recommended business class machines but should be ok for running Word while parked on the desk.

Eletriarnation posted:

This is fair but it seems like it's probably not that rewarding in terms of reducing the cost of goods for how much damage it does to performance.
Well it might certainly make the price/performance ratio worse but it also lowers the price by a couple of bucks so yeah...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just tested wow on my work yoga 2 pro with an integrated card and it was really really bad and the computer was about 200 degrees on 800x600

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
The Skylake iGPUs do pull their weight a fair bit better than that older chipset, particularly when you have the thermal headroom (not to mention bios flexibility) to pull a few stops out and perhaps even do a spot of artful undervolting. Not my video, but you can at least faff about a bit in WoW on an m3. Probably wouldn't be raiding without turning that res down though.

My own m3 with a lower native resolution runs XCOM:LW at full tilt (albeit whilst barbequeing my unmentionables), and that's pretty much the maximum I'd want or expect out of a light workstation. It's obviously not a gamer's first choice, but I like it as something that can waste me some time when I'm bored in a hotel somewhere.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you really still need a dedicated card for WoW? Even stuff like Left4Dead runs ok on my ancient Sandy-bridge igpu. If you really need it, there's always the Surface Book.

As I said, WoW's system requirements bump up a bit with every expansion. I actually was investigating this in particular the other day because I realized that my ancient OC Pentium M/875P system which was very high end when WoW was new is now well below Blizzard's stated minimum requirements, for the processor in particular. Since that system still runs I decided to try WoW again and see how much actual change there has been.

Even with having increased available memory from 2.5GB to 3.5GB and upgraded the graphics card from a 6800 Ultra to a Radeon 4650, it is not possible at any detail level to get truly smooth gameplay at 1080p. It's playable but definitely not 60fps. I blame this on the single core processor, but it's interesting because I remember running the game on high+ settings at 1920x1200 back before I replaced the system with an i7-920/X58 build. Moreover, if I go above 3/10 on the detail presets then performance takes a much larger hit and the game becomes a lot less playable. This is with a graphics card which is 4 years newer than the game itself, and around midrange.

To give one more data point, this system can run Skyrim playably but not smoothly on 720p/low. This is a game that's 7 years newer than WoW, I believe. Obviously Skyrim would put proportionally more load on the GPU as a single-player game, but it still gives you an idea how much they're moving the bar.

Coming back around to present-day systems, integrated graphics are not really going to be that much more capable than a 4650. They also have to share power dispersal with the CPU, so if that's getting hit hard (as WoW tends to do) then you will be further limited. If you're fine with low detail all the way then maybe, but I wouldn't want to do it. Skull Canyon is probably a special case but if you're going to spend that much money on something that you intend to game with, why not get a mini-ITX box and a real GPU?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right you need a gpu.

Also I need one to be convertible and small because it's going to on my lap behind my desk while I play at work using Bluetooth k\m and using my phones data. What laptop would be good for this?

I'm a degenerate.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

The Surface Book has an option for a dedicated GPU (in the keyboard/dock, so you don't have it in tablet mode), so maybe if there's a second iteration, the dGPU could be like a GTX 1060 or something. I'm pretty sure the one there now is like a GTX 940 or something.

EDIT: Laptop manufacturers are supposed to be unveiling the GTX 10xx mobile versions at Gamescom in two weeks. I doubt we'll see any convertibles in that lineup, but if they've gotten the thermal envelopes as low as some are touting, it's not impossible.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
WoW is one of the most CPU bound games that isn't a RTS with hundreds of units moving around. Yoga most likely doesn't have the cooling to stop your CPU from throttling itself and thus killing your frame rate. Convertibles are pretty bad at cooling under heavy load just by that nature of them being super thin and compact.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's what I kind of figured

No, my dream is dying.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

Does such a thing exist.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/

The Lenovo Yoga is available with 6th-gen Core CPUs (up to i7) and a GeForce 940MX. Convertible, BT, and you can tether your phone for a WAN connection.

Schurik posted:

My mom's boyfriend is looking to buy a new Laptop in the 600€(700$) range, the main use is office/internet/video. The thing is, he wants as large a screen as possible. I'm thinking about a L460/E460, just wanted to know if anyone knows of a larger screen solution that stays in the same price range without sacrificing too much power. He's on an almost 10yo VAIO currently, so it really doesn't need to be a powerhouse.

Your Mom's boyfriend, a.k.a. :siren:"not your real dad":siren: would be fine with an Acer Chromebook 15. Large, nice display, good performance, and the top-end version is well within your price range.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Interestingly the 16"+ market appears to have become exclusively clunky gaming laptops for some reason. There certainly used to be more choices for large laptops, but for one reason or another it appears to have dried up.

Part of this is because gaming laptops pretty much need to be large & clunky to fit all of their components, cooling, and a decent-sized battery. The other part is because most people don't need gaming laptops anyway, and they want small, portable devices.

euphronius posted:

Right you need a gpu.

Also I need one to be convertible and small because it's going to on my lap behind my desk while I play at work using Bluetooth k\m and using my phones data. What laptop would be good for this?

I'm a degenerate.

See above, the Lenovo Yoga.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks mate.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
I'm looking at the X260 as replacement for my Asus 1215N. I don't game, and I just need a sturdy PC for school again.

Is there anything I need to aware of before I hit buy? I would be already getting the rear battery upgrade for the 18 hour battery life. I read some reviews that the default screen resolution sucks and you should upgrade the screen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the x260 is a great choice. The x270 probably won't be released until February 2017 so this is a good time to buy.

Yes you want the 12.5 FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Non-Touch screen, avoid the stock 1366x768. Make sure you get 8GB ram as well.

Check the :siren: B&N Gold link in the OP I believe that link still works for an additional discount

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the x260 is a great choice. The x270 probably won't be released until February 2017 so this is a good time to buy.

Yes you want the 12.5 FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Non-Touch screen, avoid the stock 1366x768. Make sure you get 8GB ram as well.

Check the :siren: B&N Gold link in the OP I believe that link still works for an additional discount

Sweet, thanks.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So my cousin was going to pull the trigger on a Yoga 260, but the 1080p option that we saw in reviews doesn't seem to exist on the Lenovo site.

She's going to her first year of college. She's going to be more humanities/communication focused. I think she wants the touchscreen because "it's the future!" and whatnot. Kinda jealous.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would call customer service and see if they will do a BTO (build to order). They're probably low on stock, or their website is all messed up (again)

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!
You can find the model you want using the Lenovo PSREF site: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_Yoga_260

Just use the filters to narrow down the options.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's the consensus on the wacom cintique companion 2? My ageing desktop is too static for my liking. I intend to do digital illustration and animation eventually. I've dabbled in digital illustration a bit with a regular tablet and there was a weird disconnect for me to not directly draw on what I was looking at.

They're outrageously expensive unfortunately, so I'll have to save up for a bit to afford one anyway, but they look like exactly what I'm looking for. A portable computer that utilizes wacom's awesome pen interface.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Ordered a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro from the Samsung website and it's been "on backorder" for two weeks. I've played this game before and know where this is going so I cancelled my order. The Best Buy 30 min away has it in stock.

Is there any disadvantage in purchasing from Best Buy?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dog nougat posted:

What's the consensus on the wacom cintique companion 2?
The guys who use stuff like that congregate here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246611

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
My parents want to get a new laptop to replace their crappy Best Buy laptop. They say their max budget is 1500 dollars and they want something high quality. They will only use it for browsing the web and paying bills. Is the Dell XPS 13 overkill for that purpose? They said that having a larger screen would be nice but not completely needed.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Pahonix posted:

You can find the model you want using the Lenovo PSREF site: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_Yoga_260

Just use the filters to narrow down the options.

Ok. So we found the machine she wants using this. Is there a way to buy using some keycode from PSREF? Do we just call customer service and do it that way?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ryuga Death posted:

My parents want to get a new laptop to replace their crappy Best Buy laptop. They say their max budget is 1500 dollars and they want something high quality. They will only use it for browsing the web and paying bills. Is the Dell XPS 13 overkill for that purpose? They said that having a larger screen would be nice but not completely needed.

Are they cool with just an iPad/Tablet?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Are they cool with just an iPad/Tablet?

Thanks for replying. I asked them this and told them a smartphone/tablet could also do that basic stuff but they really prefer a laptop. Already told them getting a laptop isn't necessary for what they want to do with it, but whatever.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

anothergod posted:

Ok. So we found the machine she wants using this. Is there a way to buy using some keycode from PSREF? Do we just call customer service and do it that way?

Calling customer service is probably the best way to go. Unless you have an affiliation through either work or school where you can get a discount from a third party vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks for replying. I asked them this and told them a smartphone/tablet could also do that basic stuff but they really prefer a laptop. Already told them getting a laptop isn't necessary for what they want to do with it, but whatever.

Everytime I see someone with a $1500 budget for a no frills laptop I think about how they should just get the Macbook or Thinkpad Carbon.

Then I think about how they could save $1000 by not doing that.

Then I wonder about my own priorities.