Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

wormil posted:

Keep in mind she's 13 and won't be filming cheetahs from a speeding Land Rover or trying to catch the touchdown reception at the superbowl. She'll be shooting birds, lizards, cats, flowers, the moon, a 1,000 pics a day of our pooch, friends running around, etc. She says "action shots" but within the realm of an 13 year old kid.

I was also just looking at some of the Nikon Coolpix, p610, L840; not sure if she will go for that.

Maybe look for a used original RX100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Canon had an 18-135mm kit lens they sold with the t4i and t5i. You could try shopping around for left over or refurbished kits with that lens if she wants a longer lens than the usual 18-55mm.

Another similar camera to those is the SL1. Functionally the same as the ones mentioned above, but in a more compact body. Some of the buttons have been moved around, but it might fit the hands of a teenage girl better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The canon 55-250 is a legit good telephoto too. I've done panning at races with it and managed to get keepers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the 55-250 is a great lens for the money

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

wormil posted:

Keep in mind she's 13 and won't be filming cheetahs from a speeding Land Rover or trying to catch the touchdown reception at the superbowl. She'll be shooting birds, lizards, cats, flowers, the moon, a 1,000 pics a day of our pooch, friends running around, etc. She says "action shots" but within the realm of an 13 year old kid.

I was also just looking at some of the Nikon Coolpix, p610, L840; not sure if she will go for that.

I speak from experience when I say "action shots" of cheetahs won't work well with entry tier gear. I started with a D5300 + 55-300mm lens, and the cheetahs ran faster than the lens could move the focus and the camera wasn't good at focusing to begin with. However, the good news is basically everything else will work fine, including any non motor sports, since they are a lot more forgiving.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Does your daughter have a smart-phone? If so, might be worth thinking about one of the Canons with built-in wifi. 70D/80D (probably more camera than she needs otherwise) or T6i. Not that it's necessary, but I could imagine it being fun to immediately be able to share stuff on instagram or snapchat or whatever the kids are using these days. I think the Canon apps used to get a bad wrap but I just upgraded to the new app Canon Connect and it actually works really well for grabbing photos from my G7X onto my iPhone. I'm assuming it's also improved things for the DSLRs.

Also, don't forget some sort of hard drive for all those photos! Teach her about backing things up.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

xzzy posted:

The canon 55-250 is a legit good telephoto too. I've done panning at races with it and managed to get keepers.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

the 55-250 is a great lens for the money

To elaborate, the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II are solid APS-C telephoto lenses with image stabilization, but the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM (the newest lens) takes the sharpness to another level.

Also, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is current on sale refurbished for $130 from Canon:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbished

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

wormil posted:

Realistically, though - if this is a hobby she has been into for awhile and has already exceeded phone cameras, the middle ground fixed lens cameras are good moves from that on a budget, but she'll hit the limits of them promptly if I had to guess.

Going with a big interchangable lens camera is an investment but if you do it well and understand the limitations of systems to some degree you will be able to slowly accumulate lenses and replace camera bodies over time without sacrificing too much. If going with a big DSLR, you have NIkon and Canon as serious has-third-party-lens-support makers. The hard part is deciding on APS-C vs full frame sensors, and it depends on what you are shooting. APS-C is the cheaper route, because the lenses require less glass to manufacture. However, you can't use lenses specific to APS-C sensor cameras on full frame sensor bodies. You also have smaller sensor options like Micro Four Thirds (Olympus/Panasonic).

So, really, what you need to know is:

How long will she keep this hobby up, how much do you have to spend to encourage it, and how much do you want to avoid retooling later?

In context of new camera + new lens.. Full frame DSLRs you'd start somewhere around $3,000 for a viable 3-5 year entry point. APS-C is about $2,000. MFT would be about $1,000.

You can spend less but... if she has actually maxed out smartphone photography, welp. There are some middle ground cameras but not that come in much cheaper. The Canon EOS T6s body only is somewhere around $850 which is already out of your budget and is probably the lowest end camera I would recommend someone buying into Canon system to purchase.

I think the best thing to do for a 13 year old who is interested in the hobby is to set a budget and let her make her own decision, and also strongly suggest she contemplate finding a way to earn and save additional money to get something she really wants if nothing fits.

And: I got my niece who is about the same age a point and shoot fixed lens camera and she's already bored to tears with it because, well, it sucks. It is probably getting replaced over her Birthday/Christmas (same time-ish) with a Olympus PEN-F and a manual focus lens so she can spend time learning more of the guts of photography. I expect that to cost ~$2k. But I am also the rich uncle who spoils the poo poo out of his nieces and nephews as divine retribution towards my siblings.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

windex posted:

Realistically, though - if this is a hobby she has been into for awhile and has already exceeded phone cameras, the middle ground fixed lens cameras are good moves from that on a budget, but she'll hit the limits of them promptly if I had to guess.

Going with a big interchangable lens camera is an investment but if you do it well and understand the limitations of systems to some degree you will be able to slowly accumulate lenses and replace camera bodies over time without sacrificing too much. If going with a big DSLR, you have NIkon and Canon as serious has-third-party-lens-support makers. The hard part is deciding on APS-C vs full frame sensors, and it depends on what you are shooting. APS-C is the cheaper route, because the lenses require less glass to manufacture. However, you can't use lenses specific to APS-C sensor cameras on full frame sensor bodies. You also have smaller sensor options like Micro Four Thirds (Olympus/Panasonic).

How long will she keep this hobby up, how much do you have to spend to encourage it, and how much do you want to avoid retooling later?

In context of new camera + new lens.. Full frame DSLRs you'd start somewhere around $3,000 for a viable 3-5 year entry point. APS-C is about $2,000. MFT would be about $1,000.

You can spend less but... if she has actually maxed out smartphone photography, welp. There are some middle ground cameras but not that come in much cheaper. The Canon EOS T6s body only is somewhere around $850 which is already out of your budget and is probably the lowest end camera I would recommend someone buying into Canon system to purchase.

I think the best thing to do for a 13 year old who is interested in the hobby is to set a budget and let her make her own decision, and also strongly suggest she contemplate finding a way to earn and save additional money to get something she really wants if nothing fits.

And: I got my niece who is about the same age a point and shoot fixed lens camera and she's already bored to tears with it because, well, it sucks. It is probably getting replaced over her Birthday/Christmas (same time-ish) with a Olympus PEN-F and a manual focus lens so she can spend time learning more of the guts of photography. I expect that to cost ~$2k. But I am also the rich uncle who spoils the poo poo out of his nieces and nephews as divine retribution towards my siblings.

holy loving poo poo

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

windex posted:

$2000 for an APS-C camera? lol just lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I bought a 2012 Sony point and shoot for $5 and fixed it and it broke again after a few days but it was great while it lasted

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Don't listen to the naysayers. She's 13 and she wants a camera with a removable lens, and with the $400-500 budget, she's got a few choices. If the Canon T3i, or T5i, or T6i feels good in her hand, then she'll have a lot of fun with it even with the 18-55mm kit lens. A 50-250mm telephoto won't be too expensive if she's unhappy with the shorter kit lens for what she's doing.

But buying her a point and shoot won't make her happy, part of the excitement is obviously using the professional-feeling camera.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You can get mirrorless cameras for under $400, Windex.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

windex posted:

loving lol

You can get a really decent setup in her price range if you are patient and buy used. I see used 7D's go for as low as $350 (sometimes less than $300!) all the time on ebay or craigslist. The 7D holds up as a fantastic entry level action body. The 55-250 Canon zoom that was mentioned earlier would probably work just great for the stuff you're saying she's in to and those are super cheap used. poo poo, you could get a 1D mkIII for less than $500 and that's a literal pro action body that was literally used to shoot superbowl games (a decade ago, but still). Point being, you can get good stuff for relatively cheap if you don't need top of the line, bleeding edge, brand new gear.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you want to buy new, Amazon has the Olympus E-M10 (first gen) with the kit lens for $399. Throw in a refurb 40-150 zoom from Olympus's site for $80 and you have a great beginner's setup in a system with a bunch of high-quality lenses. The E-M10 is preferable to the Rebels or lower-end Nikons because it has two control dials, which come in really handy for shooting in the PASM modes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

surrender posted:

If you want to buy new, Amazon has the Olympus E-M10 (first gen) with the kit lens for $399. Throw in a refurb 40-150 zoom from Olympus's site for $80 and you have a great beginner's setup in a system with a bunch of high-quality lenses. The E-M10 is preferable to the Rebels or lower-end Nikons because it has two control dials, which come in really handy for shooting in the PASM modes.

I really, really love my E-M10 but the tracking AF isn't very good so that might be a problem if all she wants to shoot are running dogs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

windex posted:

The best part is, it's her money. She's been mowing lawns and doing odd jobs to earn the money to buy the camera so I don't feel any stress about it at all. Worse case scenario she gets bored with it and I borrow her camera sometimes. But I don't think she will get bored. Her interests have always been artistic, especially designing clothes, and this camera will probably keep her entertained until/through college. And if she later wants to upgrade, she will earn the money for a better camera. I'll buy her accessories for her birthday, definitely a case.

Edit; for those asking about budget. As of today she has $431 saved.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Well poo poo, she's gotta save at least another $1569 for an aps-c setup.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

MrBlandAverage posted:

The Nikon D500 would like a word with you.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MrBlandAverage posted:

$500 body
$100 nifty fifty
$400 walkabout lens
$500 decent macro
$500 beginners tele

checks out, but missing tripods and flashes and stuff, so $2500 sounds more realistic imo

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

$500 body
$100 nifty fifty
$400 walkabout lens
$500 decent macro
$500 beginners tele

checks out, but missing tripods and flashes and stuff, so $2500 sounds more realistic imo

If we're just pulling numbers out of our rear end, then I submit:

$300 older gen body + kit lens second hand.
$100 Nifty fifty
$100 for assorted poo poo including a beginner's tripod, cleaning kit, basic bag.
$0 for a fast lens for action shots as a Christmas or birthday gift from a relative who wants to encourage her creativity.

She needs another $69.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I agree with Helen. $500 is completely do-able. $2000 is insane in this case.

When I first started shopping for a DSLR I met Windex's only-the-best-will-do attitude in my friend, a professional wedding photographer (he shoots Canon). I said "My budget is around $500" and he sent me pages of links to various sites selling Canon DSLRs, kits, lenses, etc. The lowest number anywhere on those pages was $800, for body-only. Were you even listening past "I want to buy a camera"? There are other market segments besides "Professional" and "Cameraphone". Full-frame vs. APS-C shouldn't even be on the radar at this point.

I went with a 2-years-past-new Pentax and a pair of bottom-of-the-market lenses, all through eBay. I exceeded my budget, by like $80, when all was said and done. A tripod, flash, more lenses, and other stuff came later.

And nobody else has said it so I will: Pentax. $500 will get a body from a generation or two ago (generations roughly correspond to 1-2 years), like a K-30, a kit zoom, and either an old manual-focus telezoom (70-210mm or so) or an autofocus telezoom (55-300mm maybe). All second-hand, through KEH or eBay or PentaxForums.

Ergonomics has only been mentioned in passing. Take her to a camera store and letter her fondle the offerings. How a camera feels in your hands MATTERS. A Canon or a Nikon or an Olympus or a Sony or a Pentax will feel at least a little different in her hands and mashed against her face, but a new Canon and one from 5 years ago will feel pretty similar. Plus, handling the merchandise will help keep her motivation up, and if she makes some decisions now she'll have a really clear goal when she's out doing yardwork or whatever to earn those last few dollars.

wormil, you'll probably have to handle the actual mechanics of purchasing whatever she settles on, unless you've arranged a credit card for your 13-year-old :v:
I'd suggest a session looking over her shoulder as she browses KEH, they sell kits (body + lens, sometimes 2 lenses) and have a great reputation around here.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
When I decided I wanted to try photography with something better than a compact, I bought a second hand 450D with an 18-55 kit lens on eBay for about $150. Was in fine condition apart from normal signs of wear and I used it for two years until I upgraded to a 70D. She can probably get a 60D for similar money these days.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I posted in this thread something like 2 years ago looking for a DSLR on a grad student's budget. I wasn't looking for much beyond a basic body and a kit lens to evaluate my interest in photography, and I think I said my budget was something ridiculous like 150 bucks. Execudork sent me a really helpful message that gave me an intro into buying stuff (I didn't even know what KEH was) and after lots of reading and research, I upped my budget to a still very modest 250. While that was still low, I was starting to find some positive results looking online, and things that I might go for. After some searching, I found a T3i with a kit lens and some accessories for 300 on Craigslist, which I used for well over a year until I decided that it was a hobby I would continue pursuing. I'm still a cheap bastard, and my current setup of a mirrorless and 3 lenses still brought me in under 1000, but when the time and dollars are right, I'll go ahead and bump to full frame and some glass that I like. There are lots of very capable used bodies and lenses out there, and lots of APS-C stuff that will be totally within this girl's budget to get on her own. If she isn't into buying used, there are probably some refurbs out there too that will fall in the budget just to see if this is a hobby that she'll love forever. Also, she's a teenager, so this camera will inevitably get tossed around in a backseat / backpack and see a little more wear than the average person in this thread.

tldr; To evaluate interest, and for baby's first camera, 2k is too much by like 5-fold.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

blowfish posted:

$500 body
$100 nifty fifty
$400 walkabout lens
$500 decent macro
$500 beginners tele

what

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

blowfish posted:

$500 body
$100 nifty fifty
$400 walkabout lens
$500 decent macro
$500 beginners tele

Yes, a teenager just starting out should definitely spend $2500 on camera equipment.

What are you smoking and will you share it with me?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I actually did get a beginner setup for $150 (US). I decided recently to get back into photography, so I got a used Canon 20D and a used 80-200 lens. The camera's internals are kinda dated and the lens isn't fast, but it's still decent gear, and the pair cost me a grand total of about $130. Our industrious lawn-mower could get a much nicer used setup than this, with a newer/better body, more/better lenses, and some accessories. She could even have enough money left over for a couple trips to the zoo :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
windex i am thinking about not buying a new camera or even reading about new gear that comes out, can you make some recommendations in the neighborhood of $0?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

When I got started I got a d40 + kit lens for ~$200, and it was great. Would still be pretty great. Everyone in here saying you should spend 2000 at a minimum to get into the hobby should probably be banned since they have so much extra money to blow on poo poo, they could use it to buy a new account.

Or even better yet, stop posting!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

windex i am thinking about not buying a new camera or even reading about new gear that comes out, can you make some recommendations in the neighborhood of $0?

You should buy an FT-One 4k cine camera. At $128k plus another $20k for the SSD, a view finder and a lens, it's a bit more expensive than your $0 budget but I don't see how you can make it work for less.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

vintage leica with no light meter imo, baptism by fire

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

vintage leica with no light meter imo, baptism by fire

I didn't know leicas were so cheap

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They're the cheapest way to get into photography. Just buy an M-P and a noctilux and you'll have a nice beginner setup

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The answer is staring us all in the face. They need to buy $2000 worth of used DSLRs and cheap lenses. No individual item over $400.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Honest reply: a used/refurb T3i (or T4i/T5i if you can find one reasonably cheap) with used/refurb 18-55 and 55-250 lenses will absolutely be good for what she's after while remaining well within her budget.

Also, as a gift, you could grab her a small case, 32GB SD card, couple extra Chinese batteries, and a bottom-end tripod off Amazon for like $80 total. She'd feel like a Real Pro with all that gear and be in hog heaven.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My old t1i is still a competent trooper too. :colbert:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

And nobody else has said it so I will: Pentax. $500 will get a body from a generation or two ago (generations roughly correspond to 1-2 years), like a K-30, a kit zoom, and either an old manual-focus telezoom (70-210mm or so) or an autofocus telezoom (55-300mm maybe). All second-hand, through KEH or eBay or PentaxForums.

Dren posted:

I went through 5 used Pentax bodies that reeked of piss before I gave up on weather sealing and got a Nikon, so yeah, this is a legit concern. There must be a golden shower forum out there recommending pentaxes.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol if you don't piss on your camera

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How else are you supposed to test the weather sealing? And mark your property at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I currently shoot on a d40 that goes for $150 on keh with kit lens and a 32mm prime I got for a case of beer and I take fine photos. You absolutely don't need to spend more than $500.

hell I got hit by a car on my bicycle and the lenses and body survived fine

• Locked thread