Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm convinced the new Game of Thrones games art is art that used to be used as the character portraits on one of the song of ice and fire wiki's. I'll have look around.

I believe it's the same artist that did Shipwrights and Raiders of the North Sea, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I would not say any game has "surpassed" Catan. Lots of games out there are simply better than others, a straight upgrade. You can not really say that about Catan, there aren't any better versions of Catan out there. Catan is still the best Catan.

But I wonder, Catan has lots of expansions. I have only ever played the base game because people always tell me it's an "antique" game not worth it! Do the expansions fix any of Catans problems? Do they add a more interesting depth to the game? I have never heard anyone in this thread actually talk about playing Catan expansions.

Star Trek Cantan is the best version as it adds abilities which speed up the crappy slow parts of Catan.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Archipelago is better Catan

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Archipelago is better

Agreed. Its real fun and I love the coop/comp aspect of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We need a new thread. Also this is the first BG thread to hit 1k pages. As well as that, we reached 1k pages in 300 days less than the last thread reached 997 pages.

Someone get working on that OP now.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Tekopo posted:

Someone get working on that OP now.

No, you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have plans today or else I'd consider doing it. But to quote myself from when this thread and it's Tigris and Euphrates theme caused the game to get reprinted:

Magnetic North posted:

Whoever does the next thread better do a Filthy Rich theme, so that game gets reprinted :colbert:

As for suggestions, as much as people hate the board game media personalities, linking to them in the OP might be a good way for a person new to board games to help themselves get hyped about them before we come in and crush all their dreams of a game being 'just fun.' The OP should be welcoming to new boardgamers (or at least as welcoming as SA gets).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a 3-player game of Caylus. Goddamn things got salty.

Also played some Alchemists. Well, I didn't play it, I was the fifth man and opted to sit out and watch the others while acting as the Alchemy Master or whatever. Took waaaaaaaaaay too long due to people taking forever to make their deductions and poo poo (over 3 hours), but otherwise I found it pretty fun. Only complaint was that the artifacts had some balance issues - one person got the Boots of Speed on the first turn, allowing them to make an extra action every round, severely unbalancing things, as it's pretty much like getting one extra worker that no one else gets. The idea of the game is pretty cool though, choosing which plants combinations give you the most information, based on which ingredients you actually have access to in your hand. Wouldn't mind playing it someday.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The new op should just be a collection of rutibex posts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A new OP should definitely talk about digital board games. Was it Broken Loose that posted a huge honking list of apps?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

al-azad posted:

A new OP should definitely talk about digital board games. Was it Broken Loose that posted a huge honking list of apps?

Agreed but this absolutely should be broken down by platform. It's a pain in the dick hunting down stuff that's on Android vs apple.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Impermanent posted:

Voyages of Marco Polo, Tash-Kalar, Concordia.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I just made a list of like 9 from the replies to my post to check out on BGG

EvilChameleon posted:

This is a good recommendation but probably doesn't play in under 60 unless everyone is real good/fast. My instinct says to recommend Race for the Galaxy but that has no bits, so maybe Roll for the Galaxy if dice count as bits and bobs?

edit: page 1000, woo.

Looks like Keyflower is a popular one here and looks like a cool game, but I really am looking for something that plays in under an hour even with 4 players. I realize that will tend to cap the complexity level, but I'm betting there's something out there that fits the bill. I own several big, high complexity games that I love (Twilight Imperium, Agricola, Archipelago, Game of Thrones) but I never get to play any of them because I have young kids and so rarely have several hours and 2+ friends available in order to make it happen, so I'm trying to build out my collection with some games that can be played in a shorter amount of time and are still good if my wife and I are the only ones available.

I own Race for the Galaxy and recall liking it, though I think it's been like 3 years since we played it. Is Roll for the Galaxy an improvement? The sheer number of dice that game comes with is appealing. Is it fun with 2 players? BGG says best with 3-4 players.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone here manage to pick up a spare copy of that Oregon trail game? Its already out of stock in all the Targets here.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah under an hour with four players your basically looking in filler/party game territory.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reason posted:

Did anyone here manage to pick up a spare copy of that Oregon trail game? Its already out of stock in all the Targets here.

I have a feeling I'm going to be guilted into playing this lovely dice centric luck-fest because someone saw it on Buzzfeed and they're like "hey, you like board games!" I am curious to play it at least once, though.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Looks like that leaked Arkham Horror LCG image from a few months back was legit:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

Kind of feels like they took the good parts of LOTR LCG and mixed it with Warhammer Quest ACG, in which case I'll probably go all in since I liked parts of the first and all of the latter.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Acceptableloss posted:

Looks like Keyflower is a popular one here and looks like a cool game, but I really am looking for something that plays in under an hour even with 4 players. I realize that will tend to cap the complexity level, but I'm betting there's something out there that fits the bill.

These have interesting decisions and play within an hour (maybe not the first time specifically, but once you know how): Town Center, Ra, Clonk!, Isle of Skye

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some abstracty games might work, like Uptown?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reason posted:

I know goons have pretty high standards, but I've generally had fun with Catan. Whats wrong with it?

People have already covered the main things, but me falling out of love with Catan was actually (personally) a pretty big lesson in game design. Numerous games of Catan in college lead me to understand just how much it loving sucks to make a bunch of strategically sound moves, and then be locked out of playing the game by things beyond my control. Not taking a turn in Catan, especially with max players or if you have anyone with AP, is painful. However, a large portion of Catan, and especially so once you get Cities and Knights development cards, is "gently caress you!" gameplay that is all about making your opponents be unable to play.

Catan is also a lesson in just what can go wrong with dice. Specifically, dice generate their nice even bell curve over a long period of time, so individual games of Catan can be fairly spiky, with long stretches of the Robber being moved (maliciously) around the board, or with long droughts where you aren't getting your statistically probable share of 5s or 6s or whatever. Cards, on the other hand, give you a certain guarantee that you will in fact hit whatever is in the deck. Oddly, the people in my group who still want to play with Catan don't like playing with the cards.

I would imagine that since Catan was the gateway game for a lot of us, we've also probably all played Catan way past the point of it being strategically interesting or enjoyable any more.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I started checking Catan's direct contemporaries from 1995 just for shits and giggles, mostly to see how the other games from that time stand up, and was really surprised to see El Grande there on the list. Mentally I had placed it somewhere closer to the turn of the century with the big flood of solid euros.

Man I could play some El Grande right now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

PlaneGuy posted:

These have interesting decisions and play within an hour (maybe not the first time specifically, but once you know how): Town Center, Ra, Clonk!, Isle of Skye

Ra is a really good suggestion and just got reprinted: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/asmkn27.html

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sector_corrector posted:

Cards, on the other hand, give you a certain guarantee that you will in fact hit whatever is in the deck. Oddly, the people in my group who still want to play with Catan don't like playing with the cards.

I once ran into a guy who not only liked playing Sorry! but preferred dice to cards because 'your fate is in your hands'

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sector_corrector posted:

People have already covered the main things, but me falling out of love with Catan was actually (personally) a pretty big lesson in game design. Numerous games of Catan in college lead me to understand just how much it loving sucks to make a bunch of strategically sound moves, and then be locked out of playing the game by things beyond my control. Not taking a turn in Catan, especially with max players or if you have anyone with AP, is painful. However, a large portion of Catan, and especially so once you get Cities and Knights development cards, is "gently caress you!" gameplay that is all about making your opponents be unable to play.

Catan is also a lesson in just what can go wrong with dice. Specifically, dice generate their nice even bell curve over a long period of time, so individual games of Catan can be fairly spiky, with long stretches of the Robber being moved (maliciously) around the board, or with long droughts where you aren't getting your statistically probable share of 5s or 6s or whatever. Cards, on the other hand, give you a certain guarantee that you will in fact hit whatever is in the deck. Oddly, the people in my group who still want to play with Catan don't like playing with the cards.

I would imagine that since Catan was the gateway game for a lot of us, we've also probably all played Catan way past the point of it being strategically interesting or enjoyable any more.

I hear that the Explorers and Pirates expansion radically changes the game to solve the Catania dice problem.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Perhaps Tiny Epic Galaxies fits the 2-4 under an hour bill. Don't let the small size fool you, it has fairly deep decision making.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

I once ran into a guy who not only liked playing Sorry! but preferred dice to cards because 'your fate is in your hands'

I thought at first you were talking about dice for Sorry!, which would be a bold new direction for that game. Parcheesi is still the best though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

sector_corrector posted:

Dice approach their expected value relatively quickly if similar numbers mean similar things. If rolling a 6 and then an 8 has a very similar result to rolling a 7 and then a 7, then dice would get pretty close to their expected value over the number of rolls a game of Catan involves. The problem with Catan is that numerically similar rolls have entirely different effects -- 6 then 8 isn't close to 7 then 7 in impact on the game, it's completely unrelated. Instead of a smooth distribution, it's an ugly hendecanomial distribution, which takes forever to approach the expected distribution because with eleven distinct totals, at least one total will almost surely be rolled much more often or much less often than expected.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Dice approach their expected value relatively quickly if similar numbers mean similar things. If rolling a 6 and then an 8 has a very similar result to rolling a 7 and then a 7, then dice would get pretty close to their expected value over the number of rolls a game of Catan involves. The problem with Catan is that numerically similar rolls have entirely different effects -- 6 then 8 isn't close to 7 then 7 in impact on the game, it's completely unrelated. Instead of a smooth distribution, it's an ugly hendecanomial distribution, which takes forever to approach the expected distribution because with eleven distinct totals, at least one total will almost surely be rolled much more often or much less often than expected.

That's a pretty good point. In wargames, if you hit on a 5+ even if that's a crappy way of doing it, rolls of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 5, 5, 5, 1, 1 are just a little different. But in Catan, rolls of 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 8, 8, 8, 2, 2 are so wildly different as to completely destroy the enjoyment of someone who built on 6 and 5 as compared to someone who happened to build a city on something next to a 2 stone.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Shadin posted:

Looks like that leaked Arkham Horror LCG image from a few months back was legit:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-the-mythos/

Kind of feels like they took the good parts of LOTR LCG and mixed it with Warhammer Quest ACG, in which case I'll probably go all in since I liked parts of the first and all of the latter.

Wow, that's the first thing they've announced recently that doesn't look terrible. I hope they veer more towards WHQ than LOTR but from their description I kind of doubt it. It looks very much like LOTR v2.0.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 2, 2016

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Rumda posted:

Yeah under an hour with four players your basically looking in filler/party game territory.

I've recently been playing Via Nebula a ton and it plays in around an hour with four after the first couple of games. Definitely not a party/filler game. I've only played with 3 and 4 but I think it should work well two player, it has special tiles and modifications for 2p. Highly recommend it. I also was looking for as heavy as I could get and stay under an hour and I think it's a good fit, maybe roll/race for the Galaxy as an alternative. Kemet too maybe? (Although not at all playable with two)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's a great point. I sort of knew that intuitively, but never actually heard it expressed that clearly. I recently had a discussion with a friend about why I hate Trivial Pursuit, and it comes down to something similar: the trivia portion is fun (arguably - the trivia itself is often dated and either completely impossible or very easy), aimlessly hopping around a pie square while you fail to roll the proper number is not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

silvergoose posted:

That's a pretty good point. In wargames, if you hit on a 5+ even if that's a crappy way of doing it, rolls of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 5, 5, 5, 1, 1 are just a little different. But in Catan, rolls of 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 8, 8, 8, 2, 2 are so wildly different as to completely destroy the enjoyment of someone who built on 6 and 5 as compared to someone who happened to build a city on something next to a 2 stone.

Yeah, a 5+ to hit system (like wargames or Arkham Horror) is a binomial distribution. Which settles down in much fewer trials than an 11-nomial distribution because, you know, it's a lot easier for two outcomes to approach average frequency than it is for eleven outcomes to all approach average frequency.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Acceptableloss posted:

I own Race for the Galaxy and recall liking it, though I think it's been like 3 years since we played it. Is Roll for the Galaxy an improvement? The sheer number of dice that game comes with is appealing. Is it fun with 2 players? BGG says best with 3-4 players.

I honestly haven't played Roll two players, but I've played Race 2 players a lot and it's great; I don't see why Roll wouldn't be but I haven't tried it so maybe others could weigh in. Isle of Skye is a good suggestion someone else made, and I think someone mentioned Glass Road which feels kinda mechanical to some but will play quickly and is good at 2, 3 or 4. What about something like 7 Wonders? That is pretty quick and decently in depth.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

I honestly haven't played Roll two players, but I've played Race 2 players a lot and it's great; I don't see why Roll wouldn't be but I haven't tried it so maybe others could weigh in. Isle of Skye is a good suggestion someone else made, and I think someone mentioned Glass Road which feels kinda mechanical to some but will play quickly and is good at 2, 3 or 4. What about something like 7 Wonders? That is pretty quick and decently in depth.

2 player Race for the Galaxy has a recommended variant in the rulebook that makes the game even better than the base game. Picking two phases each turn opens up a ton of cool strategies.

Roll doesn't have have that, unfortunately. 2 player is just a very slightly modified 3 player game. It works, but it isn't amazing or anything.

People could go back and forth on which game is better overall but for two players, Race wins hands down.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Wow, that's the first thing they've announced recently that doesn't look terrible. I hope they veer more towards WHQ than LOTR but from their description I kind of doubt it. It looks very much like LOTR v2.0.

Well the fact that you have a character with equipment slots and can suffer effects from game to game, and can spend experience to upgrade cards in your deck, I was getting more of the Warhammer vibe in that it's more RPG than normal LCG. The whole thing seems to be based on campaign play.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm mostly intrigued by the implied lack of a traditional card hand mechanic, while having both what seems like plain ol' draw and discard piles and seeding adverse effects to one's own deck.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
drat FFG is draining my wallet. :cthulhu::homebrew:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So now that it's been out for a while, how is Trickerion?
I initially didn't buy it because I heard complaints about it having a lot of complexity for its own sake and wonder if that's true.

Also, probably a long shot because that game seems to be totally under the radar, but has anyone here ever played Five Points: Gangs of New York?

Acceptableloss posted:

Hey guys I need a board game recommendation. I've been browsing boardgamegeek trying to find something for the wife and I to play on our own that will also be good for group boardgames night without consuming a whole evening.

1) Plays in 60min or less
2) Is good with 2 players but will support more
3) Is relatively complex - on par with Agricola or even higher
4) Board game with fun bits and bobs, but not a minis game

Possibilities so far include Seasons, and Euphoria. Looking for other ideas to read up on.

Thanks!
People have said Keyflower and I'm mainly replying to say I don't entirely agree with that. Keyflower's auction for tiles aspect scales down to 2 players okay but not amazingly well. There's also a tendency for one player to win big especially if they're lucky and get multiple winter tiles that harmonize with a set strategy. The color of meeples (you can only place meeples of one color on a tile for bidding and activation purposes) you get is also somewhat more important in a 2 player game. And how many meeples of each color you get is down to random chance to a large degree.
Not that Keyflower is bad with 2, it's one of my favorite games and I'll happily play it with any player count. But it works a lot better and is less prone to luck-based swings with at least 3 or 4. (Play it with more than that and it can overstay its welcome a little.)

I kind of want to recommend looking into Tash Kalar but I don't know if it actually works well with more than 2 players. It supports up to 4, but I've never played anything but 2 player games. I also don't know if abstract games are something you're interested in at all.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

I've never played Race, but I have played Roll two players twice. It's essentially a two player game, but a third die chooses a phase randomly. I like it a lot. Don't be intimidated by the dice. You start off with 3-5, and I've never had over...12 a player. Even in a 5 player game, I don't think you'll come close to using even half of the bag.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Blamestorm posted:

I've recently been playing Via Nebula a ton and it plays in around an hour with four after the first couple of games. Definitely not a party/filler game. I've only played with 3 and 4 but I think it should work well two player, it has special tiles and modifications for 2p. Highly recommend it. I also was looking for as heavy as I could get and stay under an hour and I think it's a good fit, maybe roll/race for the Galaxy as an alternative. Kemet too maybe? (Although not at all playable with two)
League of Six and Ginkgopolis also are medium weight games that play quickly and can be finished in an hour.
Pandemic, too, if we include co-op games.
None of these are particularly great 2 player games imo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Acceptableloss posted:

Hey guys I need a board game recommendation. I've been browsing boardgamegeek trying to find something for the wife and I to play on our own that will also be good for group boardgames night without consuming a whole evening.

1) Plays in 60min or less
2) Is good with 2 players but will support more
3) Is relatively complex - on par with Agricola or even higher
4) Board game with fun bits and bobs, but not a minis game

Possibilities so far include Seasons, and Euphoria. Looking for other ideas to read up on.

Thanks!

Space Alert, Space Alert, Space Alert (unless you don't want cooperative at all)
Seasons is a pretty good choice
Dominion might be bits-and-bob'less-ish, and the complexity is much less present than the depth, but otherwise Dominion, yo.
Galaxy Trucker is longer, but it's very possible to just play one of the three rounds in the game rather than a whole play of it and be well under time.
EDIT: San Juan is also short and good, though it's also a "just cards" game.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 2, 2016