Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

greatn posted:

I don't know, they say write what you know
Which hero has his father kil.. nah too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Can you make it past 5 seconds of this Suicide Squad review video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDPgE29bmU

Apparently neither could whoever posted it since it's gone now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Was it a legitimate review? The embargo only lifts at noon EST today.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Putting rape in a teen titans adaptation would just be faithful to the comic's history.

You're all about the rape arn't you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You're all about the rape arn't you

You must have me confused with Marv Wolfman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Based on what I'm seeing from reviews Suicide Squad seems honestly pretty dull, which is not what I would have predicted. Too edgy, sure, but dull? Ouch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So far it looks like the nerdy sites like it and nobody else does.

Edit: Quite a few note that PG-13 hurts it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 2, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The nerdy sites I've seen are tearing it to shreds, and everything else I'm seeing is just calling it boring.

I wonder what the DCCU is gonna look like after all this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wonder what the DCCU is gonna look like after all this.

Wonder Woman and Justice League are already in the pipe, full steam ahead. Suicide Squad flopping won't change a thing imo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah but at some point that's not enough. Despite what some people here think of Man of Steel it kinda seems like DC is 0 for 3 in terms of big crowd-pleasers. This was supposed to be it. At what point do things have to change before they start damaging the brand? I'm not saying Wonder Woman will be bad, though Snyder's name attached in any way does not give me hope, but even if that movie is good how much damage has already been done?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The point is when they flop financially.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

First review I read reads like it's basically a comic book version of Ocean's 12, it looks like the cast had a fantastic time making the movie but you're bored watching them have fun.

How Marvel makes their movies can't be that big of a secret can it? It can't be that hard when they make it seem so easy can it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The weirdest thing I'm seeing in these reviews is that the Joker is barely in the film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RevKrule posted:

How Marvel makes their movies can't be that big of a secret can it? It can't be that hard when they make it seem so easy can it?

I personally find both DC films and Marvel films equally enjoyable. I forgot where I read it, but someone made a food analogy of how DC films are trying to get Michelin stars and failing while Marvel are content just being Chili's. I thought that was a pretty good way of looking at things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

They don't want to make the same kinds of movies Marvel is.

And they can't, they would get torn apart even harder if they did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RevKrule posted:

It helps when you have competent people working on something like a cinematic universe. It's pretty clear that the DC people are making this up as they go along.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah but at some point that's not enough. Despite what some people here think of Man of Steel it kinda seems like DC is 0 for 3 in terms of big crowd-pleasers. This was supposed to be it. At what point do things have to change before they start damaging the brand? I'm not saying Wonder Woman will be bad, though Snyder's name attached in any way does not give me hope, but even if that movie is good how much damage has already been done?

That's my thoughts on the matter too. Despite garnering criticism for being samey or not serious enough or whatnot, the Marvel films have by and large been big crowd-pleasers if not necessarily critical darlings. The DCCU thus far though hasn't been either, so it just seems like at some point they're gonna have to shake up their entire plan or else people are just gonna get fed up with them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm probably at least a little biased towards Marvel but more than that I like it when movies are good, and I very much did not enjoy Man of Steel or BvS. I really just want to watch a good movie, especially after how weak this summer has been in that regard. I'm really genuinely disappointed that this doesn't seem to be good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The weirdest thing I'm seeing in these reviews is that the Joker is barely in the film.

Thank god

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For all the criticism Marvel gets about 'sanitizing' directors' visions, it sounds like DC didn't let David Ayer do his thing either

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least DC Rebirth is being really well received, right? :ohdear:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, it seemed fairly obvious he was going to be almost entirely relegated to flashbacks based on the trailers, though I don't know if he appears outside of them. But yeah, even if he did a great Joker all I'd be able to think about is what a loving rear end in a top hat Jared Leto is, and it seems like a lot of my fears about this Joker were pretty justified anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

They don't want to make the same kinds of movies Marvel is.

And they can't, they would get torn apart even harder if they did.

Virtually every review I've read characterizes Suicide Squad as DC aping Guardians and utterly failing.

Also, holy poo poo:

quote:

Here is a film in which model-turned-actress Cara Delevingne gives not only a personal worst performance, but something close to a former-profession-worst performance, as a gyrating, bikini-clad villainess called Enchantress, who kisses men full on the lips to turn them into her slaves (of course!) and talks like Vanessa Redgrave on rhinoceros tranquiliser.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RevKrule posted:

First review I read reads like it's basically a comic book version of Ocean's 12, it looks like the cast had a fantastic time making the movie but you're bored watching them have fun.

That's a shame, I was hoping for an 11 or 13.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

I mean, it seemed fairly obvious he was going to be almost entirely relegated to flashbacks based on the trailers, though I don't know if he appears outside of them. But yeah, even if he did a great Joker all I'd be able to think about is what a loving rear end in a top hat Jared Leto is, and it seems like a lot of my fears about this Joker were pretty justified anyway.

Knowing he's not in it much makes me much more likely to see it, really the only thing about the movie that looks actively off-putting is the Harley/Joker stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do you make Suicide Squad boring? It feels like it should at least fail in an interesting way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Virtually every review I've read characterizes Suicide Squad as DC aping Guardians and utterly failing.

Also, holy poo poo:

From that it sounds like they're going for Poison Ivy from Batman & Robin, which is a bold choice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How do you make Suicide Squad boring? It feels like it should at least fail in an interesting way.
How much do you want to bet that after BvS, the WB execs got their hands all over it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Also, holy poo poo:

drat, as an actor, I wonder how you would feel if you read something like that about your performance. I mean I laughed, but poo poo I feel kinda bad too. Haha.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From all the reviews I've read David Ayer's vision got completely and utterly hamstrung by WB/DC scrambling to make it more of a crowd-pleaser. One review in particular made it sound like SS is almost a reaction to the anti-Ghostbusters brigade, where it's an intentionally infantile, overly sexualized mess that deals with manpain and sexy women gyrating over them, sorta like a "See comic book movies can be for white men too" reaction.

I'm really glad that I got so disgusted with Leto's antics I vowed not to see this movie in theatres even before the reviews came out, because boy oh boy does this movie sound like a real boring mess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please note that Toxx only reads reviews from Toxxupation News.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm seeing Suicide Squad for my birthday. I expect it to be a hot loving mess. But at this point, basically all I want any superhero film to do is make me temporarily forget that the MCU is about Rob Rhinehart saving the world from the Weimar Republic.

Codependent Poster posted:

I would want to be an actor in a Snyder movie just because of the nutritionists and personal trainer that I'd get, plus pretty much getting paid to get ripped.
Malone said she did a 300 pound deadlift during the filming of Sucker Punch. Based on that metric, Henry Cavill may actually have super powers now.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 2, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I honestly think BvS' initial crazy money was only for being "finally a movie with Batman AND Superman, arguably the two biggest names in all of fiction", and if it wasn't for that it probably would have struggled to make its money back. The word of mouth was atrocious.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
i just watched the ultimate edition and thought it was an amazing spectacle. I am so pleased I missed the theatrical version and even more pleased I remained spoiler free. I loved the mash up of Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.
As usual Zack makes a beautiful film with amazing cinematography, and I thought the psychosis aspect of Bruces dreams was a great way of reminding the audience that this guy is not normal by any stretch of the imagination, which other bat films fail to convey.

Wonder Womans reveal was excellent and myself and my wife fist punched the air with a 'YES!' when she appeared with the awesome shift in musical score,

I loved MoS, I love BvS even more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I know some people still like it, but it seems that most people really didn't, judging by crtiical reception and the sharp dropoff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Please note that Toxx only reads reviews from Toxxupation News.

Variety posted:

While that idea doesn’t make a lick of sense — especially since the U.S. wouldn’t be facing a meta-human threat if overzealous federal agent Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) hadn’t unlocked these bad guys to form Task Force X in the first place — implausibility alone doesn’t make it any less enticing to imagine how a director of David Ayer’s caliber might pluck nine of the most ill-behaved characters from the DC stable for an intense spandex-clad, super-powered spin on “The Dirty Dozen.” But for reasons beyond Ayer’s control, he’s beholden to the corporate vision of other recent DC adaptations, most notably Zack Snyder’s sleek-surfaced and oppressively self-serious riffs on the Superman legend. While it would have been amazing to see the director (fresh off WWII-set suicide-mission movie “Fury”) push his own nothing-to-lose anarchic boundaries, he’s ultimately forced to conform to Snyder’s style, to the extent that “Suicide Squad” ends up feeling more like the exec producer’s gonzo effects-saturated “Sucker Punch.”

Whereas Ayer blurred the lines between the good guys and the bad guys in such hard-R thrillers as “Training Day” and “Harsh Times,” and brought immersive street cred to the relatively tired cop genre with “End of Watch,” he’s saddled with a family-friendly PG-13 rating (his first) and entirely too many characters to let his gritty sensibility loose here.

Telegraph posted:

While it surely wasn’t Warner Bros.’ intention, Suicide Squad often feels like the film equivalent of a crumpled note passed to the anti-Ghostbusters trolls outside detention. "See?" it seems to say. "At least we haven’t forgotten you. We’ve got tube tops and gussets and proud but tormented men, and a scene in which Will Smith (as Deadshot, the world’s greatest marksman) shoots a wide range of deafening projectile weapons to a rousing pop music soundtrack."

Occasionally, the film feels like Ayer is trying to fight his way out from underneath an enormous, suffocating parachute.

ScreenCrush posted:

From the first scene to the last, it’s an absolute mess, one whose harried pacing, jumbled narrative, and blaring soundtrack of radio hits suggests a desperate post-production attempt to reconfigure what Ayer got on set into something palatable and poppy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'll just watch Seven Samurai instead.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

teagone posted:

drat, as an actor, I wonder how you would feel if you read something like that about your performance. I mean I laughed, but poo poo I feel kinda bad too. Haha.

I've never experienced an excoriation like that, though shows I've been in have, and it sucks and it stings even when you can separate yourself from taking it personally. It sucks when you're proud of the work just the same as when you in the review is dead on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm not really sure what the path is for DC if this bombs, or comes off as a lukewarm piss like BvS.

This is their "See, we can do Guardians/Deadpool too!" shot. If they can't pull it off here, it's likely the public won't tune in for Justice League. And if the drop-off is big enough, you have to wonder if they'll go through with the AquaMomoa, Cyborg and Flash movies.

I would not object to their only definite hit being Wonder Woman though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I would not object to their only definite hit being Wonder Woman though.
This honestly puts more Wonder Woman on more shaky ground in terms of quality in my head. If SS is this bad, can i really trust that WW will be much better? Don't get me wrong, the only good parts of "Batman V Superman: I Have A Gala" were the WW parts but I don't trust that DC won't try and tack the needle even harder in a different direction on WW if SS tanks hard.

• Locked thread