Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
but crates and items in overwatch aren't transferable in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ddraig posted:

You would think with the whole CSGO gambling thing and how much poo poo Valve has copped for facilitating that, that Blizzard would have probably rethought the design of their current summer loot boxes and how to acquire those items.

They already thought of that, when they didn't build in any kind of trade system that would facilitate anything close to that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ddraig posted:

You would think with the whole CSGO gambling thing and how much poo poo Valve has copped for facilitating that, that Blizzard would have probably rethought the design of their current summer loot boxes and how to acquire those items.

i'm not an expert on the subject but wasn't the whole problem with the cs:go gambling thing that a bunch of third party websites were setting up lottery draws outside of valve's control and pocketing massive amount of cash with no oversight? because as far as i can tell the actual in game random drop system that thing has going is still 100% there and perfectly legal

edit what those two guys said

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Valve just restricted the API the gambling sites used to make them unable to serve as middlemen, essentially shutting them all down.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Is Duck and Cover banned? He defended the cheaters and seemed pretty angry.

No. I don't cheat or play Reinhardt, or Mercy because I like to shoot things.

Holyshoot posted:

Late to the party but EVE online has been doing this for the better part of a decade and they are a way smaller company. So this won't be stopping and it's awesome they are doing this. They should do it with Diablo 3 as well IMO. Maybe even WoW.

Puzzle Pirates as well. Doesn't make it any less poo poo.

Box gambling is a scummy way to make a profit. It's been Blizzards policy to see what they can get away with and only backpedal if there's enough outrage. See real name ids, see old Heroes of the Storm uh runes? Trinkets? Whatever they were called.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 2, 2016

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm surprised people buy those boxes at all.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The important question here is, if I melee a Lucio wearing that Olympic skin, does he flop around on the ground for 5 minutes crying in agony.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Canemacar posted:

No one cares about your country's cc laws or wether blizzard or parents are responsible for children gambling.

I'd be fine with the boxes if they just made a couple changes. Like if all four items were from the Olympic set, or if dupes gave you credit towards another box.

Yeah I'd be fine with them if they weren't total garbage wastes of money too, but alas...

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The important question here is, if I melee a Lucio wearing that Olympic skin, does he flop around on the ground for 5 minutes crying in agony.

Of course not.

You just have to run past him.

Comedy option: Lucio soccar skin scales his hitbox up by 300%.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You're all insane

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Me and my 3k blizcoin stash are p irritated

I can't buy any of these new cool skins?

gently caress that poo poo

hhhat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 2, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

All of this over cosmetic items that don't do anything.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is that Lucio a 5 time world champion too? :smuggo:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is that Lucio a 5 time world champion too? :smuggo:

Does a six stack of Lucios lose 7-1against a six stack of Reinhardt?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't even want to make a federal case out of it, I just think it's pretty lame that "new skins for summer" turns out to mean "probably three new skins, only obtainable in a three week window, surrounded by a protective layer of sprays and icons you don't want."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bacontotem posted:

I guess that means it's time to i hanjo starting tomorrow.

Stream every glorious minute of it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Scyther posted:

All of this over cosmetic items that don't do anything.

I mean I don't give a lot of shits, but I give enough shits, because the only in-game rewards the cosmetics

And most of the cosmetics are uggo

I'd rather have some new animated butts to stare at once in a while thankyouverymuch

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm confused do normal level up loot boxes contain these summer items as well? I don't even see "summer games loot box" under the purchasable loot box tab.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I don't even want to make a federal case out of it, I just think it's pretty lame that "new skins for summer" turns out to mean "probably three new skins, only obtainable in a three week window, surrounded by a protective layer of sprays and icons you don't want."

Kaplan said there are new epics and legendaries on the way, so I'm thinking these three aren't the only new skins coming.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The loving hyperbole on the blizz forums about these skins. Words like "devastated" and "betrayed" thrown around like nothing. Some peeps need to chill.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

The loving hyperbole on the blizz forums about these skins. Words like "devastated" and "betrayed" thrown around like nothing. Some peeps need to chill.

It's a bit much, but if a bunch of nerds clutching their wallets and hissing at Blizzard gets them to change how the crates work, Im ok with it.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
These skins look terrible. I'm sorry to anyone I advised to hang onto their credits for these hot new summer skins on the way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

so I managed to grind up from 24 to 30 over the course of 12 or 15 games

joined a group last night with a bunch of 35-40's, lost 4 in a row getting our poo poo pushed in

back down to 24

done until season 2

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

These skins look terrible. I'm sorry to anyone I advised to hang onto their credits for these hot new summer skins on the way.

it's all good since you can't use creds to buy them, anyways

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's all good since you can't use creds to buy them, anyways

Aaaaand scene

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I need all Mercy skins

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
List of things Blizzard thinks gamers like:
Hockey
Bikers
Dick Tracy
Goth Fashion
Race Drivers
Evel Knievel
The Rio Olympics

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I bought some really cool armor for my horse a while back.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

MY ABACUS! posted:

Race Drivers

But Tracer's driver skin looks rad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

keyframe posted:

Please be real so we can have a non lovely zarya skin.

That is a lovely skin though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What rarity are the olympic skins

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If your response to the online outrage over some pointless poo poo is "who cares," then congratulations, you've passed the test.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

These Rio Boxes are set to deliver one guaranteed rio item only, right? Like, you'll still be finding regular old idiot stuff except for that one guaranteed time-gated item for olympians?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nickhimself posted:

These Rio Boxes are set to deliver one guaranteed rio item only, right? Like, you'll still be finding regular old idiot stuff except for that one guaranteed time-gated item for olympians?

That's what the description says. Presumably at least one rio item, not one and only one.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

nickhimself posted:

Yep. And dupe olympics give you non-olympic coins.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

MY ABACUS! posted:

Hockey
Race Drivers
Evel Knievel
Rio Olympics

By the amount of T.Racer, Slapshot, and EK Soldier 76 outfits I see people use, I think you might be right!

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 2, 2016

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I mean, if these Special Boxes gave you ONLY Rio items that might be worth investing in if you like the cosmetics, but with only one guaranteed Rio item that's a pretty dumb thing to splurge on if you've already amassed any amount of items organically through leveling or previous purchases.

But, really, if you just want to do it anyway then whatever. Who gives a poo poo what people spend their money on

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

MY ABACUS! posted:

Crowd Control

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Top Hats Monthly posted:

By the amount of T.Racer, Slapshot, and EK Soldier 76 outfits I see people use, I think you might be right!

The light blue Speed Tracer skin is awesome and it makes me sad that I am such poo poo with Tracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nickhimself posted:

I mean, if these Special Boxes gave you ONLY Rio items that might be worth investing in if you like the cosmetics, but with only one guaranteed Rio item that's a pretty dumb thing to splurge on if you've already amassed any amount of items organically through leveling or previous purchases.

But, really, if you just want to do it anyway then whatever. Who gives a poo poo what people spend their money on

counterpoint: blonde zarya, man

just gonna mail Blizz my checkbook on this one