Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

A chapter in which we the readers are the ones teased.

So the joke is that she is fooling the reader through the fourth wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know if it was explicitly 4th wall breaking but it definitely felt to me like the joke the author was going for.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It was pretty obvious that the kid is his because she has the exact same facial expressions he does when getting teased.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, vector ball is really weird. like, weird even by makoto raiku standards. chapter 4 featured super intense pants-making GBS threads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
where are you reading it? i saw the first chapter linked and haven't noticed any since

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vector-Ball

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i stuck vector into the search bar and nothing came up

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Serious Frolicking posted:

uh, vector ball is really weird. like, weird even by makoto raiku standards. chapter 4 featured super intense pants-making GBS threads.

I really wonder if Makoto Raiku woke up one morning and decided Gash Bell wasn't even close to as weird as he could be. This god drat manga is off the deep end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i get the feeling he's just seeing what he can get away with without being cancelled after having a successful series

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
animal land was overall not very good imho. i didnt like the protagonist, elements of the plot went unexplained, and it was mostly forgettable. gash bell was great though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A little bit late but the band is back together in Magi and I couldn't be happier :unsmith:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Iris Zero is back from a multiple-year hiatus! :woop: From what I remember it was a pretty good manga (protagonist is smart but not a jerk, characters were likeable for the most part), but I need to reread it.

I'm glad the author seems to have recovered from their health issues. :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

Iris Zero is back from a multiple-year hiatus! :woop: From what I remember it was a pretty good manga (protagonist is smart but not a jerk, characters were likeable for the most part), but I need to reread it.

Is this one of those "protagonist doesn't have a special ability, but actually he does and it is better than everyone else's" manga or does he really not have a special ability like all his peers?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's been ages but the latter iirc.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Is this one of those "protagonist doesn't have a special ability, but actually he does and it is better than everyone else's" manga or does he really not have a special ability like all his peers?

He really doesn't have a special ability. I think it's pretty much all using deductive reasoning to solve problems

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the special abilities are also really trivial for the most part.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Erg posted:

He really doesn't have a special ability. I think it's pretty much all using deductive reasoning to solve problems

Which is amazing to all these people that have had some form of cheat code their whole lives.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nondevor posted:

Aww yiss.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a new series in Weekly Shounen Jump and mangastream translated the first chapter.

It uhhhh kinda seems out of place in WSJ. Seems like it wants to be seinen.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Pride confirmed for best sin in the last few chapters of seven deadly sins

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bleremiah posted:

There was never any doubt since he was first introduced.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This seems to have already been removed from beartato. Considering all the praise it got, I'd like to check it out. Anywhere else this was uploaded? (I'd check myself but the title was never mentioned)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gloomy Rube posted:

This seems to have already been removed from beartato. Considering all the praise it got, I'd like to check it out. Anywhere else this was uploaded? (I'd check myself but the title was never mentioned)

You just have to make a batoto account. They're doing this horrible thing where older chapters become invisible to those without an account, for all series.

Edit: If you want to check somewhere else, it's called Prison Princess.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Clarste posted:

You just have to make a batoto account. They're doing this horrible thing where older chapters become invisible to those without an account, for all series.

Edit: If you want to check somewhere else, it's called Prison Princess.

Thank you! Found it pretty easily on kissmanga.

But gosh, they're really being jerks these days, huh?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gloomy Rube posted:

Now I really want a Beartato manga

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There's a new series in Weekly Shounen Jump and mangastream translated the first chapter.

You mean The Promised Neverland? Yeah, that was a very dark direction to go in. Obviously it was building up to something fairly dark, but that particular thing was an odd direction to go in. I was expecting, at worst, that the kids were being raised to become part of a biological supercomputer or something like that. I don't get the idea that being intelligent would make you tastier.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 2, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Fabricated posted:

I appreciate the author being slow to play all their cards, even if the twist was ultimately a little underwhelming. Giving everyone serial numbers and almost (but sadly not completely) avoiding talking about it was a good way to immediately introduce a lurking sense of something being wrong while still keeping the tone cheerful and carefree until the next shoe dropped. And hey, if this takes off, it'll be - what - the second Shounen Jump serial to star a female protagonist (alongside two male supporting characters, but nonetheless)? That's kinda nifty. Stone Ocean's the only other one I can recall off the top of my head.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Soul Eater?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Soul Eater wasn't Shounen Jump. I think it was Shounen Gangan or something like that?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Soul Eater was in Shounen Gangan, yeah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oppai Gangan STyle

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still can't forgive Soul Eater's bad ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm too easily emotionally manipulated even by really obvious poo poo so Neverland made me sad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the emphasis on intelligence and tag is promising. We might see some cool "battles" as the kids try to escape. That said, if the first chapter contains no examples whatsoever and just says "this guy's really good at tag because he's smart," that's not entirely a good sign.

For the record, in Japanese the game of Tag is called "playing demon" so the idea is that one kid plays the monster and the others are running from them. It should be obvious how this is thematically relevant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's like that web novel Twig except all the children are Sylvester. Interesting premise, I'll be curious to see how good the various "puzzles" the children have to solve are.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oumagadoki Doubutsuen by Kouhei Horikoshi is another Shonen Jump series that stars one of them there lady fellers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bleremiah posted:

This was a perfect resolution to a great fight.

I really like Escanor and the way his might is balanced.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The second chapter of The Promised Neverland is up. It's good to see the oddness of the demons wanting their food to be smart being acknowledged.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how the basic premise is that these three kids are incredibly smart and talented. they would be overqualified for a more mundane set of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Silver2195 posted:

The second chapter of The Promised Neverland is up. It's good to see the oddness of the demons wanting their food to be smart being acknowledged.

What I wonder is if there's an actual secret within-a-secret situation going on here and the whole setup is to breed or find a group of superintelligent kids who are capable of finding out the situation they're in and escaping. And when they do, it turns out that it's some kind of breeding program or training program for super-geniuses.