Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I had a 2007 s60 T5 with a 6speed spaceball MT. Second best car I've owned, after the abarth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

e; interesting factoid: the rarest Volvo ever sold in the US is the 2000MY V70R with 5 speed, of which only 3 were imported.

That's extraordinary.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress

I have a Hotwheels car in this same exact configuration that I got about 20 years ago. It was always one of my favorites.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

El Scotch posted:

That's extraordinary.

I think they imported a few more than that. I've got a 2000 R and I've seen a couple others in Columbus, which isn't exactly teeming with older Volvos, so unless we have all 3 in the country there must have been more. :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

zundfolge posted:

I think they imported a few more than that. I've got a 2000 R and I've seen a couple others in Columbus, which isn't exactly teeming with older Volvos, so unless we have all 3 in the country there must have been more. :v:

Is yours a stick shift?

The Rs aren't super rare it's true but specifically a 2000MY stick shift R is, IIRC. There might be another part to it, like a certain paint code as well.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 1, 2016

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
If you have a source on that I'm glad to be proven wrong, but everything I've read suggests that manual V70Rs weren't available in the US until the 2004 model dropped. I don't think the 2000 R was available with a manual transmission anywhere in the world. There are a few that have been swapped, though.

e: 2000 V70 T5Ms are super rare and there were only a handful imported, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

zundfolge posted:

If you have a source on that I'm glad to be proven wrong, but everything I've read suggests that manual V70Rs weren't available in the US until the 2004 model dropped. I don't think the 2000 R was available with a manual transmission anywhere in the world. There are a few that have been swapped, though.

e: 2000 V70 T5Ms are super rare and there were only a handful imported, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Ah, that must be what I was thinking of then, yeah. Not the R but the T5 V70s :hurr: It's been a while since I went delving into Volvo records on that stuff, my bad.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Ah, that must be what I was thinking of then, yeah. Not the R but the T5 V70s :hurr: It's been a while since I went delving into Volvo records on that stuff, my bad.

No worries, part of the problem is that Volvo is fairly cagey about production figures for specific models so most of the info out there is speculative at best.

Since this is a pic thread here's my R:

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 1, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Emerald Green Metallic bros :respek:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

PYOR Vintage Edition

My MS6 with my friends FR-S and E46 M3. He was one of the first FR-S owners in the state. He sold the M3 to buy it and modded it with the TRD exhaust, VOLK TE37s, some coil overs and other simple things. Sold it off a year later and bought another E46 M3 with the ZCP. He rates the Comp Package M3 as his third favorite car he's ever owned/driven and he has had in the neighborhood of fifty different cars. He said that ultimately the FR-S was too slow. He second favorite car he ever owned was an older modified AE86.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

PYOR Vintage Edition

My MS6 with my friends FR-S and E46 M3. He was one of the first FR-S owners in the state. He sold the M3 to buy it and modded it with the TRD exhaust, VOLK TE37s, some coil overs and other simple things. Sold it off a year later and bought another E46 M3 with the ZCP. He rates the Comp Package M3 as his third favorite car he's ever owned/driven and he has had in the neighborhood of fifty different cars. He said that ultimately the FR-S was too slow. He second favorite car he ever owned was an older modified AE86.

That is the ugliest block of houses I have ever seen.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think they look great, nice simple and clean.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I think they look cool

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
At least they're different. The housing developments around area suburbs are all cookie-cutter beige blandboxes and need to be burned to the ground.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
They're only terrible because they don't have 2 or 3-car garages as all houses ought to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

*remembers where rhyno lives*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

*remembers where rhyno lives*

Yup, truly a horrible place.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are those duplexes or four car garages? This is important.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Are those duplexes or four car garages? This is important.

It's a high end apartment complex. Two car garage up front, enormous apartment behind. We have an end unit and the office is between us and the first neighbor so I can be as loud as I want.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Yup, truly a horrible place.

That sure is a mediocre house repeated X100.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My parents have similar garage doors that try to look like they're barn doors on hinges that swing open in the middle. I never understood the reasoning behind that. Are we supposed to be nostalgic for barns?

Related to that, what's the best/quietest garage door opener? I'm not looking to upgrade but I'll probably be moving houses in the next year and generally curious. I had my doors replaced a while back which was a nice upgrade, but always had the same motors.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

It's a high end apartment complex. Two car garage up front, enormous apartment behind. We have an end unit and the office is between us and the first neighbor so I can be as loud as I want.
Pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

davebo posted:

Related to that, what's the best/quietest garage door opener? I'm not looking to upgrade but I'll probably be moving houses in the next year and generally curious. I had my doors replaced a while back which was a nice upgrade, but always had the same motors.

6.2L?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

davebo posted:

I went to a LiftMaster 8500 jack shaft style opener last summer and was surprised how much quieter it was than the previous unit. Also clears up overhead space.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

davebo posted:

My parents have similar garage doors that try to look like they're barn doors on hinges that swing open in the middle. I never understood the reasoning behind that. Are we supposed to be nostalgic for barns?

Most of the time, a loud garage door is noisy rollers. Clean the track, lube the rollers or replace them with nylon ones and you can quiet most doors yourself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DropShadow posted:

Most of the time, a loud garage door is noisy rollers. Clean the track, lube the rollers or replace them with nylon ones and you can quiet most doors yourself.

Nylon rollers are best rollers. I did that a couple years back, and they are excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Quiet-Garage-Roller-13-Ball-Bearing/dp/B016VNU14E

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DropShadow posted:

That's certainly true because mine got a lot quieter when I got new doors with new tracks, but my motors with the chain are still pretty loud. That's to be expected because I assume they're very cheap like everything else in the crappy house when I first moved in, which is why we'll move before too long now that I'm married.

I'm not sure what I would do with more overhead space but that LiftMaster 8500 looks pretty cool. I always scoffed at the idea of internet-capable refrigerators and such, but given the number of times I've closed the garage door, driven halfway down my street then wondered if I closed the garage door and turned back to check, I might actually see the benefit of a garage door app on my phone like that. I don't recall that ever happening in my 20's so I anticipate that'll just get worse over time.

Edit: vv that sounds cool then. So they're only terrible because they're surrounded by mormons?

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 1, 2016

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

davebo posted:

They're only terrible because they don't have 2 or 3-car garages as all houses ought to.

:lol: they do have two garages. This particular development is a master planned community. They don't believe in driveways or something out of aesthetics so there are alley ways that run behind the homes to the garage. That HOA is a frickin disaster and I am okay that I don't live there anymore. These houses in particular are "green" homes that are solar and geothermal. They had power bills of like $5-10/month and their heating in the winter was extremely efficient with ultra low utility bills. They are very modern inside too and pretty cool overall but the overall price was really high.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

I like the mediocre external appearance that doesn't look like a design school drop out slapped it together.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I like the mediocre external appearance that doesn't look like a design school drop out slapped it together.

The funny thing is both developments have probably required a fully qualified architect to be involved. At least with the modernistic designs there has been some thought to usability, thermal efficiencies and green credentials. The cookie cutter nostalgic heritage inspired homes are turned out on mass by home development companies with about as much thought as goes into have a morning dump.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aargh posted:

The funny thing is both developments have probably required a fully qualified architect to be involved. At least with the modernistic designs there has been some thought to usability, thermal efficiencies and green credentials. The cookie cutter nostalgic heritage inspired homes are turned out on mass by home development companies with about as much thought as goes into have a morning dump.

Actually Redwood (where we live) has won numerous awards for their energy efficient buildings and designs. Our energy bills are something like 30% less than when we lived in a "normal" apartment complex.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is cool as heck

This is nice enough sure but so boring.
"Hey which house are you?"
"The slightly-salmon one because we're the crazy ones"

I get style is subjective but there is a guy or group running around where I live building "John Cannon" homes and they all look the same. Spanish-esque tile, columns, brick driveway maybe a fountain and just a total lack of anything unique or fun. Modern architecture is pretty drat American too so you'd figure it would be a big hit among the old and scared of change people around here but noooooo a gorgeous modern building goes up and they describe it as 'weird' and want to add another dormer or 6 on their house.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Post your own house:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PenisMonkey posted:

Post your own house:

Okay!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Re: Post a photo that includes your house

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

House/garage posts?
Looking up at the house from the detached garage

Inside the attached garage/workshop (when we bought it. Stove has been relocated)

Detached garage during last night's storm

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Equivalent to posting a Corolla in the Post Awesome AI poo poo thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Inside the attached garage/workshop (when we bought it. Stove has been relocated)

I'd straight up live in this space here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Washed mine.

Me too.